PDA

View Full Version : Old

yanks12025
04-06-2006, 05:03 PM
Hi
This Is Kinda Wierd But Does Any Body Know If There Were Any Of Babe Ruths Or Lou Gehrigs Games Taped. And If Theres Any Where To Get A Whole Game Of Them That They Played On Tape.
Thanks

slidekellyslide
04-06-2006, 05:38 PM
There was no such thing as videotape when Gehrig and Ruth played...there are many films, but not likely an entire game.

yanks12025
04-06-2006, 06:55 PM
Sorry i ment films.

Rob L
04-06-2006, 09:49 PM
Probably not full games but that would be awesome. I want to track down the film of the called shot from the 1932 WS. Apparently there are several films made of that moment that are out there? Anyone have it?

Rob L

slidekellyslide
04-06-2006, 11:44 PM
There is at least one home video of the "called shot" and it appears to me that Ruth is waving his finger at the Cubs dugout....IMO he did not point to the outfield indicating where he was going to hit it....The film was shot by Harold Warp a Nebraskan who later opened the museum Pioneer Village in Minden, Nebraska...anyone who has ever driven through Nebraska on I-80 has seen the numerous billboards for the museum. The video was shown on ESPN a few years back and many baseball historians agreed the the myth was dead after viewing the film. Interestingly enough that game was the only major league game ever attended by Harold Warp.

Rob L
04-07-2006, 12:59 AM
Dan,

Here is the website for the film that disputes the film that you talk about. This was taken by another amateur film from the game by a guy named Matt Kandel. This film seems to show something different, probably due to the angle. Here it is:

http://www.thecalledshot.com/

Enjoy!

Rob L

suave1477
04-07-2006, 03:46 AM
Here is the fact, well in a way of the Famous Called Shot.

Babe Ruth following the Famous called shot gave a newspaper an interview regarding it. If memory serves me correct Babe Ruth said he did point but actually didnt think it was going to happen and it happend so fast for him he wasnt sure what happend at the time if he really hit the ball where he pointed too.

I happend to stumble upon this newspaper article somewhere about a month ago on google. When i happend to be looking up some info on Babe Ruth.

I am sure if you guys dig on google somehwere about news paper articles following the Famous Called shot you will see it too!!

vintagesportscollector
04-07-2006, 09:38 AM
I have a scrapbook with boxscores and newspaper articles from that series. I have a next day article about the called shot game written by a Chicao reporter. In the article he mentions(if I recall..i'm at work now) that Ruth was quarelling with the fans and the cubs dugout throughout the game and series, but there was no mention of any pointing or called shot. The article does state Ruth had an exhange with the dugout. If Ruth pointed, this reporter and the fans didn't notice it... and apparently it wasn't until after the fact that people "saw" ;) him pointing.

slidekellyslide
04-07-2006, 09:56 AM
Rob, Kandel's film was "discovered" in 1975 and he slowly released still shots of the film that made it appear that the Babe was pointing to the outfield. I'm not sure where you can find the Warp film, but it clearly shows the Babe pointing to the Cubs dugout and kind of waving his finger at them...there is every indication that he was arguing with the dugout about having one strike left on him....Charlie Root has said that if Ruth had pointed to the outfield as if he were going to hit a homerun the next pitch Ruth would have seen would have been at his head.

slidekellyslide
04-07-2006, 10:00 AM
Maybe I'm missing it, but I don't see a link to show the Kandel film anywhere on that site.

BaseballGM
04-07-2006, 10:44 AM
If my memory is correct, and usually it's ok but hey I'm getting old, I saw an interview with the Babe regarding that "called shot." He said he was having some sort of dialogue with the dugout and in a response to that basically said while pointing over to the them, "Oh yea, we'll I'm going to hit out of here just you watch." I think that the legend has grown over the years as to a much more dramatic moment than it actually was at the time. - Kevin