PDA

View Full Version : Vintage "US ARMY ALL STARS" Warm up...Baseball? Basketball? BTPH?

cjw
01-06-2009, 03:13 PM
Picked yhis up on Ebay from a seller in France. The warm up was made by Southland (Texas) and distributed by "Free-Minetii Sporting Goods" out of San Fran. Size 48. Has nylon cuffs and collar.

Questions: Era? 1960's? Basketball? Baseball?

Thanks for your help! (Both Teams!)

cjw
01-06-2009, 03:14 PM
Pics would be hekpfull right? Sorry...hear they are!

both-teams-played-hard
01-06-2009, 04:10 PM
1960s basketball shooting shirt, fleece warm up.
I bet photos are out there, but you'll never find them when you are looking, accidental only!
Real cool item!
Never seen those SanFran custom tags...

cjw
01-07-2009, 03:03 PM
Rec'd a kind reply to my inquiry from Bill Sturgeon at Southland:

"Thanks for your inquiry. This is an old warmup we made which Free-Minetti put their label in ( early private labeling ). They were a customer of ours from 1953 to 1970 when they went out of business. We don't keep any records back that far but I feel sure it was 50s or 60s era. It appears to be our 3574 style which was made out of a nylon/cotton material we still make. You can see that fabric in our baseball pants that Prostock in Burnaby carries in stock."

both-teams-played-hard
01-07-2009, 04:02 PM
Rec'd a kind reply to my inquiry from Bill Sturgeon at Southland:

"Thanks for your inquiry. This is an old warmup we made which Free-Minetti put their label in ( early private labeling ). They were a customer of ours from 1953 to 1970 when they went out of business. We don't keep any records back that far but I feel sure it was 50s or 60s era. It appears to be our 3574 style which was made out of a nylon/cotton material we still make. You can see that fabric in our baseball pants that Prostock in Burnaby carries in stock."

Real cool that you got a reply from Southland. In the late 50s-early 60s there was a team called the "US Armed Forces All Stars" that played in the Amatuer Athletic Union (AAU)...I don't know if this is the same team or not. There were several military AAU teams from this era.

This is a link to the AAU section of APBR.org:
http://apbr.org/aau.html