PDA

View Full Version : Babe Ruth's family feelings on Bond!!!

suave1477
04-07-2006, 03:48 AM
I thought this was an interesting article

Ruth's family likely won't honor Bonds

03-31-2006

NBCSports.com news services

Babe Ruth's grandson said he probably will not be on hand to congratulate Barry Bonds if and when he hits his 715th home run to pass the former New York Yankees legend, the Chicago Tribune reported Thursday.

“If it weren't for the cloud of controversy, which we all are very much aware of, I think we all would be looking at this perhaps a little bit differently than we are,” Tom Stevens, 53, told the Tribune via telephone from Las Vegas. “I was talking with the Giants (Monday) night. They called me regarding appearing (at the possible times when Bonds could surpass Ruth).

“Normally, I would be right there to congratulate him. My problem with doing that — particularly with the revelations that have come up in the recent book (“Game of Shadows”) — my concern with being associated with that would be how it would be perceived by the public. Until the publication of that book, I would have been inclined to be there.

“Bonds said some pretty nasty stuff (about Ruth being America's white hero). But that aside, my feeling was 'Let's take the high road here and be the better person.' After all is said and done, what is important is not to do anything that would tarnish Babe's image.”

Stevens said his mother has decided not to be present to congratulate Bonds.

“They think we should distance ourselves as far as possible,” said Stevens, who is represented by Indianapolis-based Curtis Management, which looks after the family's commercial interests.

“And there are a number of sports agents who represent ballplayers who also advise the same. I am probably going to defer to their counsel.”

Stevens said he met Bonds when he he hit 73 home runs in 2001 “and Bonds couldn't have been nicer,” the Tribune said.

Stevens, a workout fanatic, told the Tribune he and Bonds even talked about workout routines and natural workout supplements at that meeting.

“Steroids never came up. I wouldn't want to touch that to (tick) him off,” Stevens said. Stevens blames the Major League Players Association as well as Commissioner Bud Selig for creating the steroid crisis.

“Their inactivity brought this about,” he said. “But going forward, there has to be a comprehensive (steroid) policy to restore the faith.

“At the time, (Bonds) wasn't breaking any (MLB) rules and neither was (Mark) McGwire. There was no policy in place. That's unforgivable. Baseball really brought it on itself.”