PDA

View Full Version : 1958 Milwaukee Braves jersey #43

susmichbrown
01-08-2009, 09:41 PM
Hi...I'm looking for info on a jersey my dad has. Here's the details we know. It has the date of 1958. It is a Wilson brand zippered jersey with the tomahawk on the front with the Brave's face patch on the sleeve. It is number 43 which belonged to Wes Covington. It has a tag in the collar that also says Covington. It has been used, there is a sweat ring around the collar area. I'd like to figure out if its a real jersey or a fan jersey. I've tried on-line research, but didn't come up with much. I would appreciate any help. Thanks!

Vintagedeputy
01-08-2009, 10:38 PM
We need pics!

both-teams-played-hard
01-08-2009, 11:05 PM
Hi...I'm looking for info on a jersey my dad has. Here's the details we know. It has the date of 1958. It is a Wilson brand zippered jersey with the tomahawk on the front with the Brave's face patch on the sleeve. It is number 43 which belonged to Wes Covington. It has a tag in the collar that also says Covington. It has been used, there is a sweat ring around the collar area. I'd like to figure out if its a real jersey or a fan jersey. I've tried on-line research, but didn't come up with much. I would appreciate any help. Thanks!
From your description, it sounds like a game worn jersey. A "fan" or "retail" jersey from this era is unheard of. Retail jerseys were not made in 1958. All the details you gave are appropriate to late 50s Braves' gamers. Besides, no sober person is taking the time to craft a Wes Covington forgery. It's about a $2,000 item. Don't clean it, leave it as-is.

susmichbrown
01-09-2009, 06:25 PM
Okay, here's a quick photo of the jersey. I appreciate the responses.

susmichbrown
01-09-2009, 06:31 PM
Here's a few more pics.

Lokee
01-09-2009, 07:01 PM
It looks to be a gamer like stated above of Wes Covington. It's kinda cool that you have this and you are lucky as this was his best year in his career.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/pics/wes_covington_autograph.jpg

trsent
01-09-2009, 07:36 PM

Cool jersey, if it is ever offered for sale please contact me!