PDA

View Full Version : What is your first exposure to baseball

joelsabi
01-09-2009, 11:42 AM
What was your first exposure to baseball in general?

I lived in a military base with my family at the time and my mom bought me a pack of baseball cards at the navy exchange. never had seen a game before since we didnt have any american channels. had no concept of mlb but played little league. didnt know at the time that grown men made a living play baseball.

Fraudfinder!!
01-09-2009, 12:13 PM
My first memory of baseball would be from 1967, my dad took my brothers and I to an Indians game at old Municipal Staduim. I was six years old. They played the Boston Red Sox. I recall how HUGE the staduim was to me. I remember a ton of empty seats. Later that year we moved to New Hampshire and I have been a rabid Red Sox fan ever since. I do remember Rocky Colavito (has there ever been a better baseball name?) being my older brothers favorite player for several years.

suave1477
01-09-2009, 12:35 PM
Early 80's turning on the tv - I remember seeing this young kid that was just called up standing at the plate in his stance with this high leg kick spinning the bat around his head like a helicopter and then taking a swing that looked so graceful that it was destined to catch baseball and send them out of the park. And didnt you know it the pitch comes, he swings, home run, its outta here.

Darryl Strawberry made me love baseball

Birdbats
01-09-2009, 01:06 PM
I know I'd been going to Cardinals games with my parents since I was a toddler and playing Little League when I was six (the same year I bought my first pack of baseball cards, 1968). I knew the Cardinals were good and the Cubs were evil (even though Ron Santo had a pizza joint in our town and everyone seemed to like him in spite of his blue cap). I know I bought a lot of cards in 1969 and had an almost complete set. But, I can't say I recall my first exposure. The first thing I really remember is the 1969 World Series and Ron Swoboda's diving catch in right field.

mariner_gamers
01-09-2009, 01:20 PM
Little League night late 1970's in the Kingdome. Bruce Bochte was throwing balls up into the 300 level to all of us. I was there with my father, coach and 12 of my best friends.

godwulf
01-09-2009, 01:31 PM
I do remember Rocky Colavito (has there ever been a better baseball name?)

Champ Summers.

I grew up in and around Indianapolis, and I remember my dad taking the family up to Wrigley Field several times. The earliest game I can actually recall being at was when I was probably five or six, so that would have been '59-'60. At that age, the biggest impression made on me was how great those ballpark hot dogs were - like nothing I'd ever tasted.

dcrules01
01-09-2009, 01:38 PM
Mets played the Reds in a double header in 1977.I vaguely remember the games but I do remember it was a long day I was 6 :D That was my 1st baseball game...

bigtruck260
01-09-2009, 01:50 PM
I grew up in Lexington Park, MD - my Dad worked on the Naval Base at Pax River...

We didn't follow the Orioles at all, and my favorite team was the 1982-83 Atlanta Braves (watched them on TBS). I still remember the names of every player from those teams...my favorite being Dale Murphy. I was 6-7 years old, and was modifying my little league stance to bat like Dale and Bob Horner.

We moved to STL in early September '83 and went to a game with Dad's bosses at McDonnell Douglas. It was my first game, and I was immediately a Cardinal fan. They were playing the Reds. Johnny Bench hit a homer late in the game - but the Cards held on to win...been hooked ever since.

joelsabi
01-10-2009, 10:48 AM
[QUOTE=bigtruck260;115805]

We didn't follow the Orioles at all, and my favorite team was the 1982-83 Atlanta Braves (watched them on TBS). I still remember the names of every player from those teams...my favorite being Dale Murphy. I was 6-7 years old, and was modifying my little league stance to bat like Dale and Bob Horner.

[QUOTE]

Isnt it amazing that we can remember names of players when we were little. i can look through a box of baseball card from when i was a kid and run off the name just looking at the photos before looking at the name on the card.

nomarmauerfan
01-10-2009, 03:34 PM
My Dad tells the story much better, but at the ripe old age of 3, my Dad was watching a Phillies game (he was born just outside of Philly, so we were always watching Phillies games when they were on National TV). I went up and touched the TV when Larry Bowa was up. He immediately became "my guy" and was my favorite player until he retired. Even though he was not a HOF'er and has a wicked-nasty temper, he was my favorite. He is the reason that the number 10 remains my favorite number up to this day.

Mike

skyking26
01-10-2009, 03:40 PM
I vaguely remember the 68 WS. I was 5. I remember it being the only high point of a hot summer with rioting, etc.