PDA

View Full Version : Junk Game Used

frikativ54
01-09-2009, 02:17 PM
The A-Rod HR bat thread got me thinking: is there a certain point at which game used stuff becomes too junky to be desirable? I mean, if a player takes 15 hacks and hits homer 32 of his career, what in and of itself makes that non-milestone HR bat valuable in the first place? In my opinion, it's one thing if you can photomatch the bat, and it came from a legitimate milestone, but signing every bat for a different HR seems a bit junky to me.

Moreover, a legitimate game-used piece retains its value because it was pounded with and used until it was beaten up or cracked. I wouldn't want to own one of those A-Rod bats because the inscription seems too contrived to me. The same is the case for some of the so-called limited edition pieces from Steiner. If there are 300 game-model gloves for Alex Rodriguez, what makes any one of those unique? Anyone else feel the same way? Have a differing opinion? I am anxious to read your thoughts on the matter.

Vintagedeputy
01-09-2009, 02:47 PM
I think that even a 'run of the mill' home run bat has a slight premium attached to it. The home run is the gem of being a hitter. Its the most popular type of hit, if you will. Lok how many game used bats are broken on foul balls. Sure it was used in a game, but it was lost to an unproductive at bat.

For a player now who hits the 19th HR of his career, its not a big deal. When they retire and have 500+ plus homers, it becomes more important.

emann
01-09-2009, 03:13 PM
I agree with the thought regarding the "limited" game model items. Those to me are mostly garbage. I personally even feel that way on game model (or game ready to use a buzzword) bats from any player.

It makes some sense on players that most people could never possibly own (a limited run of game model auto'd Mantle bats for example). But it seems like most of those products center around current players. Why would someone buy a Frank Thomas limited/signed model bat for $200+ when you can get a GU one for another $100 or so?

frikativ54
01-09-2009, 03:16 PM
I agree with the thought regarding the "limited" game model items. Those to me are mostly garbage. I personally even feel that way on game model (or game ready to use a buzzword) bats from any player.

Why would you consider "game ready" to be a buzzword? I would pay more for game-ready than game-issued or game-model...

emann
01-10-2009, 04:21 PM
Just my opinion on that term... I've seen it dropped into a number of auctions or sellers placing alot of emphasis on that term. To me, it's still not the direct connection to a player that GU has and isn't far above game issued items (and a good amount of times, it might be some unscrupulous type adding a number to the knob and some tar/rack streaks).

frikativ54
01-10-2009, 05:04 PM
Just my opinion on that term... I've seen it dropped into a number of auctions or sellers placing alot of emphasis on that term. To me, it's still not the direct connection to a player that GU has...

But, by definition, isn't a game-ready item prepped by a player? For example, a game-ready glove may have oil in the pocket, a few dirt marks, a couple of ball marks, etc. Isn't that still a connection to the player? Maybe it's just me trying to feel better about a game-ready glove that's in my possession...

skyking26
01-10-2009, 05:13 PM
HR bats are rare and would be highly sought after as long the provenance matched up and the price is right.

I had an opportunity to buy a Kingman final slam bat this past year. Awesome looking bat, letter from Kingman, signed and denoted on the bat. However, it was a C243 and I had a bat in my posession just like it (virtually identical). While it would have been nice to have for historical purposes, after all the dough I went thru in 08 the significance did not outweigh the pricetag. The bat has sold. I'm glad another owner got a cool piece from a great power hitter.

At the end of the day, we all evaluate and make decisions based on a number of factors...

frikativ54
01-10-2009, 05:19 PM
HR bats are rare and would be highly sought after as long the provenance matched up and the price is right.

I had an opportunity to buy a Kingman final slam bat this past year. Awesome looking bat, letter from Kingman, signed and denoted on the bat. However, it was a C243 and I had a bat in my posession just like it (virtually identical). While it would have been nice to have for historical purposes, after all the dough I went thru in 08 the significance did not outweigh the pricetag. The bat has sold. I'm glad another owner got a cool piece from a great power hitter.

At the end of the day, we all evaluate and make decisions based on a number of factors...

That's really cool. But did it say "final slam bat"? It would be one thing if Kingman had a few bats he signed as HR bats; it would be quite another if he were to have used a different bat for every other HR like A-Rod did with ASI. IDK, but there's something about what A-Rod did that cheapens the value of his game-used items. I mean, it seems like every day another A-Rod item is offered on eBay. It is like A-Rod is artificially manufacturing collectibles, and for that reason, I wouldn't want one of those bats in my collection.

emann
01-10-2009, 05:27 PM
Actually, I think a game ready glove is a bit better than a bat. The glove at least was probably broken in a bit and it's game used conterpart would be pretty expensive... A significant premium added to a bat that may have had some tar smeared on it or the number added to the knob in sharpie just seems of little interest to me.

I think it also just depends on the collector. If the glove you have is a Bagwell one and you pretty much exclusively collect his items, I can see where any level of his items has value to you.

godwulf
01-10-2009, 05:30 PM
It is like A-Rod is artificially manufacturing collectibles, and for that reason, I wouldn't want one of those bats in my collection.

I'm sure we all know the stories about players who supposedly (and maybe they did, in some cases) went into the locker room and changed jerseys between each inning of an historic game. Talk about "manufactured" collectibles!

As for retiring, inscribing and selling each game-used home run bat, that seems like something that most players I've talked with about their bats would never think of doing...not until the bat was broken, anyway. Most players who hit a HR with a bat seem to want to make sure they take that same bat with them to the plate the next time they're up. Doing anything else just strikes me as being unprofessional.

schubert1970
01-10-2009, 05:31 PM
I had this dilema when making my first Arod HR bat purchase. I could have bought 520, 521, 522, 523, 524 or 525. I'm sure there are a bunch of others you can find. I settled on #522 since it was more of a milestone bat by passing Williams and McCovey.

I did pay a few more $$ but IMHO I believe this to be a more unique/milestone item than the other bats that I was offered. Had I actually attended one of the games that AROD hit a homer, I would have bought that bat. Before I made my purchase I ran my ideas on this board and got some great feedback.

Currently MVP is offering the bat the passed Mike Schmidt...I guess this was also the first MLB reviewed HR using replay. I think

skyking26
01-10-2009, 05:34 PM
Les: the bat was the actual 16th and final slam bat. It was nice. I spent a "ton" on everything else, so you can only do what you can do...

frikativ54
01-10-2009, 06:14 PM
Actually, I think a game ready glove is a bit better than a bat. The glove at least was probably broken in a bit and it's game used conterpart would be pretty expensive... A significant premium added to a bat that may have had some tar smeared on it or the number added to the knob in sharpie just seems of little interest to me.

I think it also just depends on the collector. If the glove you have is a Bagwell one and you pretty much exclusively collect his items, I can see where any level of his items has value to you.

Yeah, that's the thing. I was told by a couple of people that there hasn't been a legit Bagwell glove on the market. So, when I had the opportunity to purchase a "game-ready" glove, I jumped on the opportunity. Since Bagwell was my childhood idol, and I don't have a regular source of income, I decided to stick to just his game-used items.

Though I do have a Biggio game-used ball, a Dotel minor league bat, and an Eduardo Perez cracked bat. I have several autographed items, from Lance Berkman, Felix Hernandez, Ken Griffey Jr., Randy Johnson, etc. So my autographed collection is not nearly as limited.

frikativ54
01-10-2009, 06:15 PM
Les: the bat was the actual 16th and final slam bat. It was nice. I spent a "ton" on everything else, so you can only do what you can do...

Sweet, you sound like you have a nice collection!

emann
01-10-2009, 06:34 PM
schubert1970 (http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/member.php?u=3243)

Just out of curiousity, how much of a premium did the A-Rod HR bats go for over a "normal" GU bat when originally offered?

joelsabi
01-10-2009, 06:53 PM
Looking at Ebay on MVP Marketing offerings:

The HR passing Mickey Mantle goes for 15K or bo
The HR passing Schmidt goes for 12.5 K or bo
2 Non-Milestone HR goes for 8.5 K or bo
GU bat used in final series 6 K or obo
GU bat with “House Ruth Built” inscription 4K obo

These all offered by MVP Marketing, which deals most of ARod’s stuff.

So looks like Milestones bats were priced an additional 4-5K over a regular HR bat.

joelsabi
01-10-2009, 06:56 PM
I had this dilema when making my first Arod HR bat purchase. I could have bought 520, 521, 522, 523, 524 or 525. I'm sure there are a bunch of others you can find. I settled on #522 since it was more of a milestone bat by passing Williams and McCovey.

I did pay a few more $$ but IMHO I believe this to be a more unique/milestone item than the other bats that I was offered. Had I actually attended one of the games that AROD hit a homer, I would have bought that bat. Before I made my purchase I ran my ideas on this board and got some great feedback.

Currently MVP is offering the bat the passed Mike Schmidt...I guess this was also the first MLB reviewed HR using replay. I think

Congrats. This will look great next to your ARod first HR baseball.

frikativ54
01-10-2009, 07:03 PM

Just out of curiousity, how much of a premium did the A-Rod HR bats go for over a "normal" GU bat when originally offered?

I looked for you as well. Didn't find what I was looking for, but I was struck by how many game-used and "limited edition" autographed items there were from mvpmarketingmanagement and mannyramirezauthentic. I love the ones where it says "Yankee for Life". :rolleyes:

I respect A-Rod for his talent (I got to watching him growing up here in Seattle), but the every HR bats seems like it takes the concept of game-used too far. Is there really the demand out there for A-Rod's items that mvpmarketingmanagement needs to have 113 autographed "Yankee for Life" authentic jerseys? :confused:

schubert1970
01-10-2009, 07:06 PM

About a 2k differential. You can typically work out a better deal if you pay cash.

schubert1970
01-10-2009, 07:13 PM
Congrats. This will look great next to your ARod first HR baseball.

I'm glad you remembered my HR ball. lol....

I forgot to mention, along with that #522 bat I purchased. It took me several months to deal with Steiner to get the damn lineup card for that game on 4/16/08. They wanted 2k, then $1,500, then $1,000. Finally they put it in their auction and I paid $700.

frikativ54
01-10-2009, 07:19 PM
About a 2k differential. You can typically work out a better deal if you pay cash.

So they don't have to report for tax purposes?

schubert1970
01-10-2009, 07:20 PM
Looking at Ebay on MVP Marketing offerings:

The HR passing Mickey Mantle goes for 15K or bo
The HR passing Schmidt goes for 12.5 K or bo
2 Non-Milestone HR goes for 8.5 K or bo
GU bat used in final series 6 K or obo
GU bat with “House Ruth Built” inscription 4K obo

These all offered by MVP Marketing, which deals most of ARod’s stuff.

So looks like Milestones bats were priced an additional 4-5K over a regular HR bat.

The HR passing Mantle is actually for RBI's, not HR's. That bat AROD wanted 25k or so. No one thought they could sell the bat with any type of mark up, so Arod has kept that one from the last thing I was told.

My own preference was to aquire a bat from a Yankee win @ Yankee Stadium.

I agree that all those inscriptions "House Ruth Built", "Madonna Loves Me" , "Boros Rocks" etc. are a waste.

joelsabi
01-10-2009, 07:24 PM
I looked for you as well. Didn't find what I was looking for, but I was struck by how many game-used and "limited edition" autographed items there were from mvpmarketingmanagement and mannyramirezauthentic. I love the ones where it says "Yankee for Life". :rolleyes:

I respect A-Rod for his talent (I got to watching him growing up here in Seattle), but the every HR bats seems like it takes the concept of game-used too far. Is there really the demand out there for A-Rod's items that mvpmarketingmanagement needs to have 113 autographed "Yankee for Life" authentic jerseys? :confused:

I think it is great what mvpmarketingmanagement and mannyramirezauthentic bring to the hobby. It brings opportunity for collectors at different income levels to get a part of history. It offers super high end stuff and offers something nice like these limited edition jerseys. i think there are at least 113 welloff parents out there willing to buys for that limited jersey as a birthday or christmas gift for their son. I have seen a couple of parents buy a game used bat for their sons a game used bat for their upcoming birthday at the Nationals so I know they are out there. There will always be a demand for high end stuff like Milestone HR bats because for such items the market extends past the ordinary demographics of serious hobbiest like people in our forum to

schubert1970
01-10-2009, 07:25 PM
So they don't have to report for tax purposes?

You avoid the 3% from the credit card company......and other benefits. :)

joelsabi
01-10-2009, 07:40 PM
I'm glad you remembered my HR ball. lol....

I forgot to mention, along with that #522 bat I purchased. It took me several months to deal with Steiner to get the damn lineup card for that game on 4/16/08. They wanted 2k, then $1,500, then $1,000. Finally they put it in their auction and I paid $700.

were you the only bidder?

very kewl to have a lineup card to go with the passes Ted Williams and Willie McCovey Homerun bat. I wish I was rolling like you.

i hope the Steiner lineup cards prices go back to normal next year. There was a jump of $500 for lineup cards and game baseballs by Steiner. I got a nice historical one from 2 seasons ago.

schubert1970
01-10-2009, 08:00 PM
were you the only bidder?

very kewl to have a lineup card to go with the passes Ted Williams and Willie McCovey Homerun bat. I wish I was rolling like you.

i hope the Steiner lineup cards prices go back to normal next year. There was a jump of $500 for lineup cards and game baseballs by Steiner. I got a nice historical one from 2 seasons ago.

Thank God I was the only bidder, I was already tapped out and couldn't afford much more. I actually got the idea from Tony. I was looking at post from the past few years and he purchased a lineup for of his Arod HR bats.

skyking26
01-10-2009, 08:38 PM
Sweet, you sound like you have a nice collection!
Email sent..........

frikativ54
01-10-2009, 09:14 PM
Email sent..........

Wow - I have to say, I was really impressed with that collection. I especially loved the first baseman's gloves. You should post the pictures of the gloves here, because that will give collectors an idea of what true game-used is. Those 1B gloves put my Bagwell game-ready glove to shame!

Enjoy your collection!

joelsabi
02-03-2010, 09:01 PM
Some collector like that super clean game issued jersey in their collection.
Then are some who like as much use as possible on a bat and jersey.

Is there a point where too much use or wear on a game used item becomes uncollectable or an eyesore to your collection.
For example,
Would a cracked bat make it into your collection?
Would a shattered bat make it into your collection?
Would a shredded football jersey have a chance in your collection?

TriplexXxSports
02-03-2010, 09:24 PM
Blood, Mud, and Patina!!! That is where its at. I would be happy to put a destroyed jersey in my collection. It adds to the value, IMO, in the case of football jerseys - easy photo matches, essence of the game, etc....

MOST DEFINITELY!

harpt
02-03-2010, 09:36 PM
In some cases, too much use (more to do with millions of washings than blood or pine tar stains) may be an indication that the jersey has been recycled to the minors quite a bit since it was worn by the major leaguer. This sometimes makes the shirt seem less attractive to particular collectors.

bigtruck260
02-03-2010, 10:50 PM
I have had bats (that I sold) that had lettering that was barely decipherable. I have also had a few that I had to use wood filler in order to display them.

At one time, I had a hat collection...but my office started stinking - even with plastic covers on them. Nasty.

I don't mind cracks or splits, but I want to read the name...and be able to display it.

joelsabi
02-03-2010, 11:28 PM
I have had bats (that I sold) that had lettering that was barely decipherable. I have also had a few that I had to use wood filler in order to display them.

At one time, I had a hat collection...but my office started stinking - even with plastic covers on them. Nasty.

I don't mind cracks or splits, but I want to read the name...and be able to display it.

on the hats, did you spraying it with anything like fabric softner

legaleagle92481
02-03-2010, 11:31 PM
I like as much game use as possible. No washed jerseys or bats that are barely used for me. Give me grass, dirt and pine tar!

joelsabi
02-03-2010, 11:49 PM
I like as much game use as possible. No washed jerseys or bats that are barely used for me. Give me grass, dirt and pine tar!

pinetar on a helmet looks greats. give me a vlad , a manny and an orlando cabrera.

grass and dirt stains on a jersey from sliding into third look great too. give me a reyes, an ichiro and a gardner.

a bat snapped into two with one's own leg, give me a bo jackson, milton bradley and a kemp.

mariner_gamers
02-03-2010, 11:54 PM
Maple took care of me not collecting shattered bats. I will say whatever MLB did this past season must be working since I am seeing a lot more maple with cracks rather than being shattered.

If a bat is missing the label where the players name is I am fine with it as long as I can see it is clearly used by said player. The price also has to be much lower than a full bat. I have a couple Buhner's that split on the barrel and are missing his name but clearly he used them.

I have one bat without a handle and it still bothers me even though I have dups and purchased it like 3 years ago. So for me missing handles is where I draw the line. I would not be interested in just a handle either.

Hats, cleats and batting helmets can be hammered. I guess once they are cut up for cards is when I am no longer interested in them.

xpress34
02-04-2010, 12:05 AM

:eek: I think that's why the downtown Dug Out store MGR has given me good deals on Rox GU hats in the past. The store is small and she HATES the smell!

Thank god my basement is unfinished and open...

I collect hats because they are usually cheaper than Jerseys of Bats - even though most players use less hats in a season so there are fewer to go around!

- Chris

geoff
02-04-2010, 03:33 AM
I love Items that Show lots of Use to them.Tar-Cleat Marks-Ball Marks-Dirt on Jerseys ETC.

Thanks
Geoff

jppopma
02-05-2010, 04:29 PM
I love a jersey to show good wear, especially football and hockey! The more marks, rips, burns, the better in my opinion.

I do stop well before the smelly jerseys...nothing worse than bringing that locker room smell home. Always able to wash it out, but I often will leave those for the ones who like that stuff.

yankees.stub
02-05-2010, 04:59 PM
Some collector like that super clean game issued jersey in their collection.
Then are some who like as much use as possible on a bat and jersey.

Is there a point where too much use or wear on a game used item becomes uncollectable or an eyesore to your collection.
For example,
Would a cracked bat make it into your collection?
Would a shattered bat make it into your collection?
Would a shredded football jersey have a chance in your collection?

Would love to get my hands on Jorge Posada's game used batting helmet... You seen it? You cant barely see the NY logo in the front... and for the #20 in the back...

The helmet looks like it went to war and back...

I have a Scott Brosius from '99 season ... it has so much pine tar on it ... i made a mistake by putting it in a bat sock .. to make the story short... now Brosius bat got a lot of white lints where the pine tar is....

Anyone here know what is the best way to remove those lints without removing the pine tar?

TriplexXxSports
02-05-2010, 07:22 PM
Would love to get my hands on Jorge Posada's game used batting helmet... You seen it? You cant barely see the NY logo in the front... and for the #20 in the back...

The helmet looks like it went to war and back...

I have a Scott Brosius from '99 season ... it has so much pine tar on it ... i made a mistake by putting it in a bat sock .. to make the story short... now Brosius bat got a lot of white lints where the pine tar is....

Anyone here know what is the best way to remove those lints without removing the pine tar?

May sound crazy but try a little flame. A quick run of a Bic lighter. Butane torches (like the ones for your grill - Not plumbing torches) work the best. The link will catch but it will not heat enough to damage or melt the tar.