PDA

View Full Version : Photo Matching NBA jerseys

jppopma
01-10-2009, 11:34 PM
I was trying to photo match a few NBA jerseys I have and some others that I have been considering. The problem that I am finding is that there really is not much use to pick up on. The best that I have been able to do is a style match based on the lettering and placement of the letters. Can someone point me in the right direction as to what else I should try to look for in order for things to be conclusive?

Do NBA jerseys have letters and numbers all placed exactly the same or does it vary from one to the next? I am especially curious on the early 2000 Phoenix Suns jerseys with the numbers on the oval; is the number placement the same or would that be a good place to look?

I hear alot about pro-cut jerseys, will they be lettered exactly the same as a gamer? Same placement? If not what is there to look for to differentiate them?

Thanks for any help people can offer up. John

both-teams-played-hard
01-11-2009, 12:25 AM
Super duper, close-up, well-lit, high quality photography with the hope of finding loose stitching or matching mesh holes with proximity to letters, logos or numerals. Almost impossible. If you can contact a photographer with first generation LARGE digital pix!

LEGEND33
01-11-2009, 12:23 PM
JPPOPMA,
send pics of jerseys (i have a lot of giant poster)...

jppopma
01-11-2009, 05:44 PM
I agree both teams...near impossible if there is not much difference other than threads and mesh holes. Likely not even worth the work to try to get a 1st generation pic and try to blow it up just for a chance (especially when they wear more than one jersey throughout the season).

Legend; This is the link to one that I was considering. They claim photo match, but I am thinking style match if anything. I was also concerned with the lack of tagging. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=270315701480&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=017

I will try to get some pics of one of the others that I was looking at.

jppopma
01-11-2009, 06:21 PM
Here is a Jason Kidd 2000-2001 Phoenix Suns jersey. I'm questioning it a little after reading all of the horror stories with Grey Flannel who had authenticated it. Since it has the sheen material, there are not even any holes to line up. I tried to save and blow up Getty pics, but they will not show enough detail. The number and name placement looks good, but like I said they may make them all with the exact same placement form Champion. Also there are some marks on the back above the name that appear to be dried blood, but even that is hard to tell on a purple jersey.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

jppopma
01-15-2009, 02:32 AM
Well, Looks like the Clippers one was relisted and sold for $200 (even without the tagging...) Oh well, I'm still considering a few others and would like any other tricks on how to photo match them or what to look for. Thanks, John

otismalibu
01-22-2009, 09:32 AM
There's a close up photo of Lebron wearing the Cavs throwback, in the current issue of SI. It's clear enough that you could actually photo match the game jersey to the photo based on the stitching.

mbenga28
01-22-2009, 12:53 PM
what about using the NBA logo on the left shoulder as a reference, see if it matches up with the positioning in relation to the collar or lettering below it.