PDA

View Full Version : Game Used Bases..........

kylehess10
04-07-2006, 09:24 PM
I went to the Braves exibition last Saturday and I noticed something interesting. Every 3 innings,the bases were changed. Is this a regular thing for every team? I thought that there were only 3 bases used every game. This totally changes my mind on buying a game used base cuz I thought that only 1 set of bases were used for like a few games. So a few hundred dollars for a base now seems like a rip-off to me.

suave1477
04-07-2006, 11:12 PM
No most teams do that if not all. The Yankees changes bases during there games and even Minor League teams do it. Havent you ever noticed suring the games how the bases almost always look Brite White, thats cuz they change the bases

icollectDCsports
04-08-2006, 10:30 AM
Because the bases are made out of a material that would seem to be cleanable, my assumption is that they clean the bases used for part of a game and simply use them again in the next game, unless they are bases for a special game which are either saved or sold. Am I right? Wrong? Neither? And perhaps it varies from team to team. May as well get as much insight on this thread about game used bases as we can. Have at it, game used base experts. :)

suave1477
04-08-2006, 12:44 PM
I cannot say for every team but i know most teams do it like i said they even do it in the minor leagues. The mateirial that is used for a base is very rough on the top, made that way to cause friction so that way when players are running the bases, so it wouldnt be slippery. on top of that players cleat can cause small holes in the base and collect dirt. It would take up too much time for them to clean the bases and money they dont want to spend to have someone clean each and everyone of them. Teams who sell there game used bases sell them all, regular games, special games and opening day games.

pjbmd
04-08-2006, 01:14 PM
From what I gather they Yankees change bases twice per game for regular season games. In years past World series game have had 3 sets of bases. Most recently for Opening Day 2005, bases were changed every half inning at the Stadium