Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AWA85
    • Jan 2008

2009 HOF Class

We all knew Henderson was in, anyone a little surprised about Rice sneaking in?

Dawson still remains out, not sure that he should be in ever. Time to shift our focus to Barry Larkin in the class of 2010
    Looking for: Joey Votto game used items.
  • chakes89
    • May 2006

Re: 2009 HOF Class

Forget Larkin

VOTE CONCEPCION!
    I collect Jay Bruce and Cincinnati Reds Minor League stuff

My email address: hakes89@gmail.com

Comment

• frikativ54
      • Dec 2007

Originally posted by AWA85
      We all knew Henderson was in, anyone a little surprised about Rice sneaking in?
      If Rice is in, shouldn't Bagwell be in?
      Les Zukor
      bagwellgameused@gmail.com
      Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
      (617) 682-0408

Comment

• chakes89
        • May 2006

He didn't reach any of the milestones his position almost demands in regards to getting into the Hall of Fame

Comment

• ndevlin
          • Mar 2008

I liked Bagwell, but he has no chance. Neither does Larkin. I think Dawson deserves to be in before Rice.

Comment

• both-teams-played-hard
            • Nov 2005

Of course Jim Rice is in. Haven't you heard of "east coast media bias". Many of the writers were kids living on the East Coast when Rice was at his best. Sounds like a nostalgia trip. Just let everyone in who ever made an all-star team.
            If you make orange juice from concentrate and add more water and sugar, then you make a few more glasses...

Comment

• skyking26
              • Dec 2005

I agree with Nate. Dawson before Rice. If Rice made it, it is because he was on his last chance before vets committee I believe.
              ROBERT KOPPEL
              Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,
              and 1968, 1984, HOF Tigers GU Bats...Skyking442@hotmail.com

Comment

• chakes89
                • May 2006

Originally posted by ndevlin
                I liked Bagwell, but he has no chance. Neither does Larkin. I think Dawson deserves to be in before Rice.
                Ozzie Smith got in

Barry Larkin should go in as well

He was a much better player than Smith

Comment

• AWA85
                  • Jan 2008

Originally posted by ndevlin

Larkin NO Chance, really? 2,340 hits, 198 HR, .295 AVG, and something Dawson could not even sniff a .371 OBP. 12 time All Star, MVP, 3 Gold Gloves, and maybe most importantly CUBS fans he won a WS. At this time offense was not huge from shortstops, something to think about.

Comment

• AWA85
                    • Jan 2008

Originally posted by chakes89
                    Ozzie Smith got in

Barry Larkin should go in as well

He was a much better player than Smith
                    Don't even get me started on Ozzie, maybe one of the most overrated players of all time. Same amount of hits, but the avg. obp. and home runs are not even close to Larkin. Ozzie got in because of his glove, and Larkin was right behind Ozzie with the glove. Larkin has to be in.

Comment

• frikativ54
                      • Dec 2007

Originally posted by chakes89
                      He didn't reach any of the milestones his position almost demands in regards to getting into the Hall of Fame
                      So if people like Thomas and Thome are padding their numbers by DHing in the AL, then those people are more deserving of a HOF spot? I mean, Bagwell was definitely a more complete player than the 500 HR club member Jim Thome.
                      Les Zukor
                      bagwellgameused@gmail.com
                      Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
                      (617) 682-0408

Comment

• AWA85
                        • Jan 2008

Originally posted by frikativ54
                        So if people like Thomas and Thome are padding their numbers by DHing in the AL, then those people are more deserving of a HOF spot? I mean, Bagwell was definitely a more complete player than the 500 HR club member Jim Thome.
                        But those players kept playing and kept adding to their numbers, something Bagwell did not do. He played his 15 seasons or whatever and was done. I don't think he will get in.

Comment

• skyking26
                          • Dec 2005

I've always liked Thome. I speak with thomecollector almost daily. We had a conversation yesterday about this. My stance is if Thome does not reach 600 HR, he's in maybe on 2nd or 3rd try based on numbers AND his contributions on and off the field. Thome is well liked and respected in either area and has since his early days always held charitable events etc. 600+ HRS and he's a lock. Drawback on Thome is he's always played for crap clubs, small market, and he's an under the radar guy. The way baseball is with competition - numbers are what keeps him in a lineup, not his smile.

When it comes to HOF election, it's numbers first, and player contributions on/off field thereafter. I'm personally unfamiliar with Bagwell so can't comment. Regarding Ozzie Smith, I never thought he was a Hall of Famer. All glove no hit, but that is me. Regarding Rice, he's in because he exhausted his reg. tries. Now that he is in, eventually Dawson will follow. Sure thing.
                          ROBERT KOPPEL
                          Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,
                          and 1968, 1984, HOF Tigers GU Bats...Skyking442@hotmail.com

Comment

• chakes89
                            • May 2006

I hope Dawson gets in

It will make a potential impending purchase of mine go up in value slightly

Comment

• AWA85
                              • Jan 2008

Originally posted by skyking26
                              I've always liked Thome. I speak with thomecollector almost daily. We had a conversation yesterday about this. My stance is if Thome does not reach 600 HR, he's in maybe on 2nd or 3rd try based on numbers AND his contributions on and off the field. Thome is well liked and respected in either area and has since his early days always held charitable events etc. 600+ HRS and he's a lock. Drawback on Thome is he's always played for crap clubs, small market, and he's an under the radar guy. The way baseball is with competition - numbers are what keeps him in a lineup, not his smile.

When it comes to HOF election, it's numbers first, and player contributions on/off field thereafter. I'm personally unfamiliar with Bagwell so can't comment. Regarding Ozzie Smith, I never thought he was a Hall of Famer. All glove no hit, but that is me. Regarding Rice, he's in because he exhausted his reg. tries. Now that he is in, eventually Dawson will follow. Sure thing.
                              The one thing I think Thomas has going for him, is that for awhile he was the most feared hitter in the league. Those 93 and 94 numbers are just amazing, didn't he have an OBP above .480

Comment

Working...