X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • suave1477
    Banned
    • Jan 2006

Why does AROD sell his equipment????

NOW HERE IS A QUESTION THAT HAS BEEN THROWN AROUND NUMEROUS TIMES ON THIS FORUM.

WHY DOES A GUY LIKE AROD HE MAKES MORE MONEY THE MOST THEN I COULD POSSIBLY MAKE IN 2 LIFETIMES - UNLESS I INVENT THE YO-YO...... DAMN THATS BEEN DONE ALREADY LOL LOL

Well here is a thought put aside for 2 seconds that he doesn't need the money. Imagine the profit capabilities of it though???

Lets say hypothetical the actual of the cost of the bat to him is about $50 to $100 lets say he sells about 50 to a 100 bats per season his bats usually sell around the $1000k range or more if it is a regular season bat and 3000k and up if it is a home run bat.

DO THE MATH - AT ITS LOWEST NUMERS ON BOTH SIDES

50 Bats x $1000k each = $50,000 a year cash / thats like making $85,000 after taxes - just on bats

Now compare that to what the 50 bats cost him - $2,500 - $47,500 profit

So why does he do it??? for the money maybe?? 50k is nothing to sneeze at. because he's bored?? maybe?? Maybe to pay his cell phone bills for the year or to pay for his gas for his cars. Who knows???
  • AWA85
    • Jan 2008

Re: Why does AROD sell his equipment????

I am not a huge Arod fan, but one could argue that he does it for the fans. Letting them collect their favorite player and gives them many opportunities to own an item.

Not sure you can criticize him at all, who would not want to make more money. Just because he is rich does not mean he should stop reaching for more financial stability. Can not blame him at all, he is like MOST of society (just has a little more of a head start haha)
    Looking for: Joey Votto game used items.

Comment

• yanks12025
      • Jan 2006

Why does Jeter, Manny, Pujols, Ortiz, Mauer, all most all major leaguers. You guys make it sound like A-rod is the only one selling his stuff. I think he does the home run bats so i collector can have a home run bat.

Comment

• momen55
        • Aug 2006

hey jason;
        one word sums it up; GREED! maybe, maybe, if he would give his stuff away, he would have more of a fan base and not be hated as much.
        i don't see all the hoopla for an arod bat, especially when they cost that much! i guess, if noone bought them, the price would be reasonable. there are soo many anyway, i don't see how they sell for $1,000+

Comment

• AWA85
          • Jan 2008

Originally posted by momen55
          hey jason;
          one word sums it up; GREED! maybe, maybe, if he would give his stuff away, he would have more of a fan base and not be hated as much.
          i don't see all the hoopla for an arod bat, especially when they cost that much! i guess, if noone bought them, the price would be reasonable. there are soo many anyway, i don't see how they sell for $1,000+

I am not a huge Arod supporter, but I like him as a player. But how can you say "greed", if you had an chance to make a large sum of money would you turn it down? I know I wouldn't! If there is an opportunity to make money why not go for it, common sense!

Also, on the prices... I feel all New York stuff is over priced, but the market is there and the people are willing to pay those prices. Just glad Reds prices are not like that

Comment

• momen55
            • Aug 2006

of course times, rather people have changed, when players' didn't make the money these modern guys make, there stuff was given away. i have talked to plenty of former players and hofers that have told me that they would rather give away stuff than sell it because it would give them a bad image. i believe that.
            it's just greed man!

Comment

• mariner_gamers
              • May 2008

Super talents have had handlers in their ears since they were teens. A lot of these guys rely on their handlers to make most of their business decisions. Handlers get a percentage of just about everything......

Also I assume Alex receives a million or better a year for his sig and memorabilia. That goes a long way to funding a foundation or two. Fans are happy, handlers are happy, foundations are happy..........
              Davis Emburey
              demburey@netzero.net
              Always looking for late 70's-late 80's Mariners game used bats!

Comment

• chakes89
                • May 2006

Originally posted by AWA85
                Just glad Reds prices are not like that
                You got that right
                I collect Jay Bruce and Cincinnati Reds Minor League stuff

My email address: hakes89@gmail.com

Comment

• AWA85
                  • Jan 2008

I agree about giving stuff away and the image, but the agents / memorable dealers that have connections with players are starting to end that method. With minor league players hooking up with companies, I think the method of giving away bats and things is heading out the door for the most part.

Comment

• Dewey2007
                    • Dec 2007

Arod must have collected game used as a youth so he knows all about getting items from players that weren't exactly what they claimed to be and he vowed to make sure this didn't happen when he got the Big Leagues. He does it so that all collectors know that they are getting a completely legitimate bat that was used by him and used to hit the homerun(s) he says he hit with each bat. He has a fool proof method of using tracking socks to make sure he knows which bat is which when he goes to sign them 6 months later.

In short he does it to help make the hobby safe for you, me and every collector out there
                    sigpicwww.alamedasportsproject.com

Comment

• joelsabi
                      • Aug 2005

Originally posted by AWA85
                      I agree about giving stuff away and the image, but the agents / memorable dealers that have connections with players are starting to end that method. With minor league players hooking up with companies, I think the method of giving away bats and things is heading out the door for the most part.
                      with signature cards and game used cut of players when they are in the minors or on team usa, players who are good now know how much their stuff is worth early in their career. even now some are signing exclusives with companies like lockerroom while still in the minor.

i still think players will still give away stuff at minor league games to fans at the right moment. arod has been known to give away stuff (bats, gloves) during spring training and i know a fan who has received a bat and batting glove from him because he knew she was a true fan.

if you look at his charity work and donations (boy and girls club, university of miami, etc.) arod does give back to his community, way more than he amasses from signings and game used equipment.

There is a demand for his stuff ever since he signed with the mariners and we cannot fault him if he chooses to take advantage of the circumstances. baseball is a sport but it is also a business.
                      Regards,
                      Joel S.
                      joelsabi @ gmail.com
                      Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Comment

• kingjammy24
                        • Nov 2005

"50k is nothing to sneeze at"

when you're making $28mm/year, not including endorsements, $50k is very much something to sneeze at. he could take $28mm, stick it in something where he's getting 4% a year, do literally nothing and wind up with $1.1mm a year just in interest.

"Imagine the profit capabilities of it though???"

the amounts are completely meaningless for a man who's already made $200mm and likely has another $100mm on the way before his career is over.

"Not sure you can criticize him at all, who would not want to make more money"

there's a trade off between time and money. increasing one will usually decrease the other. it's possible then to reach a point where your free time is worth more than money. arod has reached that point. i imagine he has very little free time. he can opt to spend a few hours sitting in some room with mario or scot monette or whoever, signing boxes of balls and bats and whatever or he could instead spend those hours with his daughter. back when he spent hours and hours at that signing with barry bonds, he couldn't have instead flown his daughter up for the day and spent it skating at rockefeller?

"if you had an chance to make a large sum of money would you turn it down?"

depends what the cost of making the money is. it may surprise you to learn that many people value other things over money and that making money isn't always worth the cost.

"If there is an opportunity to make money why not go for it, common sense!"

it's not common sense. it's short-sighted. making money has a cost. for some, the cost isn't worth it past a certain amount. if i was making $28mm/yr, was away from my daughter for 6 months out of the year, would i spend my precious free time with all this memorabilia nonsense for a ridiculous $50k? no. my free time would be worth more than what amounts to chump change. at the end of it all, arod won't be able to take it with him and the point of it all isn't to see who can be richest guy in the cemetary, to quote mickey's christmas carol.

as for "doing it for the fans", it's hard to believe that when his signing with bonds cost $7500 a pop and MVP sells his bats for $3k-$15k. if he wants to do something for the fans, he could easily give away a ton of stuff or sell it at rates where typical fans could afford it.

rudy.

Comment

• AWA85
                          • Jan 2008

Rudy you sure know a lot about how much time he spend with his daughter? Care to elaborate or are you just assuming? Also think those prices are just assumptions on the $50,000, just my guess is it is a lot more than that.

Guess somebody will critique others no matter what. How can you tell Arod how to do business and how to spend his time, that is ridiculous.

Comment

• flaco1801
                            • Nov 2005

figure out what he makes an at bat.... he could pass the bat to someone in the stands if he wanted to, or just it to the batboy a few times a year. when i was a kid the batboy made about 8 bucks an hour and they had to stay and clean the equiptment... they are just greedy...

Comment

• kingjammy24
                              • Nov 2005

madonna is worth approx $850mm. she recently divorced and has 3 young children. she began a tour in aug 2008 and will likely stretch it into 2009.
                              i'm sure her kids will be relieved to know that in exchange for her prolonged absence, they'll all be $200mm richer. much better than having your mom greet you when you come home from school everyday. good thing $200mm buys a lot of nannies.

why? maybe she's just trying to become "financially stable".

rudy.

Comment

Working...