Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TFig27
    • Oct 2006

Bat Brands

Just looking at some of my bats and decided to make a list of brands of bats used my Major Leaguers.

Louisville Slugger
    Rawlings
    BWP
    Controlling the Game
    Zinger
    D-Bat
    Cooper
    Marucci
    Diablo Bats

What other brands are there?
    sigpic
    TFig27 - NY Yankees Collector
    A. Boone - R. Cano - N. Swisher - T. Martinez - P. O'Neill - E. Hinske
    J. Damon - R. Brogna - D. Bragg - W. Upshaw - K. Farnsworth
  • Sluggo
    • Jan 2009

Re: Bat Brands

I have a couple Worths in my collection. I think my "Eleanor" is likely to be a Worth if I ever find one.

Brian

Comment

• suave1477
      Banned
      • Jan 2006

Easton
      Sam Bats
      Mizuno
      Young Bat co
      Worth
      Akadema
      Mattingly
      D-Bats
      Old Hickory
      X Bat
      Nike
      Hoosier
      Glomar
      Wilson

and I am sure there are a lot more

Comment

• BMH
        • Jul 2007

I think there are 31-32 manufacturers. I know there is one less after the email Diablo sent to all the manufacturers and MLB...how we get blamed for everything is beyond me.

The complete list of the approved manufacturer's should be coming out in the next week or two. I hope we make it, they rejected my Maple bat
        Brian Hillerich

Comment

• suave1477
          Banned
          • Jan 2006

BMH im sorry to hear that I have some wood in my backyard if you want to try using that lol lol

just kidding

Comment

• redoctober
            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by BMH
            I think there are 31-32 manufacturers. I know there is one less after the email Diablo sent to all the manufacturers and MLB...how we get blamed for everything is beyond me.

The complete list of the approved manufacturer's should be coming out in the next week or two. I hope we make it, they rejected my Maple bat

BMH... very curious to hear more to this story. What criteria are there for approved maple bats? For that matter, what criteria is there for approval in general? As technology improves, I am guessing MLB will have decisions to make? (ie- at what point is a wood bat as "strong" as an aluminum bat?)

Comment

• BMH
              • Jul 2007

There are several new rules in place for Maple this year. Most of it has to do with "Slope of Grain" meaning the angle of the grain in relation to the bat. The grain should go straight from the handle to the barrel. We always allowed a 5 degree slope, MLB has mandated a new 2.8 degree slope. In other words the grain cannot run off more than an inch for every 20 inches of distance. Bats are to be marked on the handles twelve inches from the knob with a black stain to shoe the SoG of the bat. No more full length dark colors for Maple. All bats are to have a clear or no finish handle to show the SoG mark. MLB is also changing the branding. In the past (like um, last month) we branded on the flat grain of the bat and the player hit with the edge grain. MLB has reversed this in an effort to increase flex in Maple bats. You brand on the edge grain and hit with the flat grain. Also all bats are to be marked with a date or code so MLB can trace a bat to a manufacturing date.

As for us, for the past 125yrs we've half dipped bats 16 inches from the handle. MLB rules state it has to be 18 inches from the handle. So I have to make one dipped to the 18in. mark. God I love baseball....
              Brian Hillerich

Comment

• TFig27
                • Oct 2006

Originally posted by BMH
                There are several new rules in place for Maple this year. Most of it has to do with "Slope of Grain" meaning the angle of the grain in relation to the bat. The grain should go straight from the handle to the barrel. We always allowed a 5 degree slope, MLB has mandated a new 2.8 degree slope. In other words the grain cannot run off more than an inch for every 20 inches of distance. Bats are to be marked on the handles twelve inches from the knob with a black stain to shoe the SoG of the bat. No more full length dark colors for Maple. All bats are to have a clear or no finish handle to show the SoG mark. MLB is also changing the branding. In the past (like um, last month) we branded on the flat grain of the bat and the player hit with the edge grain. MLB has reversed this in an effort to increase flex in Maple bats. You brand on the edge grain and hit with the flat grain. Also all bats are to be marked with a date or code so MLB can trace a bat to a manufacturing date.

As for us, for the past 125yrs we've half dipped bats 16 inches from the handle. MLB rules state it has to be 18 inches from the handle. So I have to make one dipped to the 18in. mark. God I love baseball....

Thanks a lot for the added info. The manufacturing date will definately help collectors.
                sigpic

Comment

• BMH
                  • Jul 2007

I forgot to add, the letter Diablo sent out was very funny. I have it hanging in the wall of my office. I would post it but it uses language that isn't very family oriented toward Roy Krasik (MLB) and Louisville Slugger. I will say it was full of "Christmas cheer".
                  Brian Hillerich

Comment

• BMH
                    • Jul 2007

Originally posted by TFig27
                    Thanks a lot for the added info. The manufacturing date will definately help collectors.
                    Oh that will help me sleep better at night

Once we get everything in place it will be pretty neat. For right now to just get by we're stamping dates in the knob like "1129" until our laser is completed...I've always wanted to take a plasma cutter to a $80,000 laser. Once the software is finished we will be engraving the date, player number (only on regular season bats, no ST bats), length and "requested" weight.

I've done a couple of orders for the Giants so far as proof of concept so that should really screw with the EM and players They look really good.
                    Brian Hillerich

Comment

• earlywynnfan
                      • Oct 2005

Kissimmee Stix
                      What was the one with the fish logo? It was awesome, Knoblauch used a couple.

Old-time styles:
                      Krens
                      Hanna
                      Spalding.

Ken
                      earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

Comment

• earlywynnfan
                        • Oct 2005

and also Mighty Bats

Ken

Comment

• TFig27
                          • Oct 2006

Originally posted by BMH
                          Oh that will help me sleep better at night

Once we get everything in place it will be pretty neat. For right now to just get by we're stamping dates in the knob like "1129" until our laser is completed...I've always wanted to take a plasma cutter to a $80,000 laser. Once the software is finished we will be engraving the date, player number (only on regular season bats, no ST bats), length and "requested" weight.

I've done a couple of orders for the Giants so far as proof of concept so that should really screw with the EM and players They look really good.
                          I am glad you can sleep better now. Dreams of dated bats dancing in your head.

Any pics of the Giants bats?
                          sigpic

Comment

• redoctober
                            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by BMH

Is there really that much difference in the flex between edge gain vs flat grain?? If so, is this off-set by any weakening from branding. Is it possible that some players may look for an edge by trying to hit on the brand with these maple bats?

Comment

• Capital-Sports
                              • Jan 2009

Barnstable Bat company used to have a fish in their logo

Comment

Working...