PDA

View Full Version : PSA/DNA -- graded vs "opinion" letter on bats

redoctober
01-12-2009, 09:50 PM
Just interested in the thoughts of others on the board...

When you see a decently valuable bat (ie-$1000+) that has been sent to PSA/DNA for authentication, but not grading -- does this raise a red flag??

My concern is that for the extra $65 I would want a bat that I felt good about to get the grade at this value. Personally, I have started to wonder on higher end items why anyone bothered to authenticate without a grade. This is certainly understandable for lower valued items, but I question this approach on the top tier players.

Thoughts??

maccamania
01-12-2009, 09:57 PM
My cutoff is around 800-900, anything after that I have graded because I think its justified. If PSA lowered their $$ on their graded loas, you might see more collectors going that route.

Sluggo
01-12-2009, 09:59 PM
Just my opinion, but I think having a "Grade" assigned to something like a bat is useless. The attention or added value a grade brings is totally superficial.

If I were forced to have something authenticated, for insurance purposes or for a transaction, then I would get it authenticated only and skip the grade...

Your view may vary. :)

scottanservitz
01-12-2009, 10:03 PM
I've gotten exactly one bat authenticated by PSA. It is a Vlad bat and it passed with flying colors. It is pounded with use and has a very slight crack in it. Plenty of tar also. Now if I were to sell the bat I can explain the usage on it very accurately. My take is that I know what to explain and I also know what to look for in Vlad gamers. I think having Taube also look at the bat and agree it is legit is good enough. It shows any potential buyer that it was looked at from somebody that is reputable. With that in mind it should put the buyer's mind at ease. Now this isn't a $1K bat so that should be enough. Now in the case of maybe an Aaron or a Mantle, I would agree that maybe a grade along with the authentication would be better. More money means more stress involved for the buyer. Again, I am a member on this forum and I have invested a lot of time trying to get as much knowledge beforehand so as not to get burned. Most buyers aren't like us that read this forum and do the research beforehand. We also have Mike and Jim along with many others who have specialized knowledge on many of today's players. This info is invaluable when you collect this stuff. If I were to buy a painting or a coin that I don't know that much about then I would certainly want an experts opinion. It just makes more sense with all the bad that is circulating eBay and the many auction houses. A very good question. What do others think?
Scott

redoctober
01-12-2009, 10:06 PM
Just my opinion, but I think having a "Grade" assigned to something like a bat is useless. The attention or added value a grade brings is totally superficial.

If I were forced to have something authenticated, for insurance purposes or for a transaction, then I would get it authenticated only and skip the grade...

Your view may vary. :)

I agree to some level about the "opinion" of the whole thing. (Reminds me a bit of the BCS or the HOF voting!) However, PSA/DNA is widely recognized in the industry. Anybody can do 5 minutes of research and determine whether a Louisville Slugger is authentic. A bit more goes into matching factory records, use characteristics, etc. I want a bat used by the player, not made for the player -- BIG difference!!

Sluggo
01-12-2009, 10:36 PM
PSA/DNA is widely recognized in the industry. Anybody can do 5 minutes of research and determine whether a Louisville Slugger is authentic. A bit more goes into matching factory records, use characteristics, etc.

Agreed. And I know a Jeter item vs. a Cobb or a Huggins will require a certain expertise.

I just feel that, sometimes, people get too caught up in industry opinions instead of taking time, or looking at an item's bigger picture on their own.

Not game-used, but I always think of the millions of autographed cards, obtained in person, at ballparks and hotels, from before industry grading - none of which have coa's. Alot of people won't touch these simply because of they don't have "industry" opinions, or holograms, or grades. (some of these same industry experts also graded several fake Ripken minor league cards as real, if I'm not mistaken...) Oh well... :D

That said, I appreciate the experienced and knowing people here who will share their time and expertise with anyone willing to ask. Great group.

Just my .02

10thMan
01-13-2009, 02:26 PM
Plenty don`t want to spend the extra dough for a grade, also grading is subjective, often a dissapointment. I have a 1988 Mac 256B graded an 8. It`s a 9 in my opinion, Perfect use Traits, Tar, Ballmarks, knob writing, so what gives???

How about the people that get something graded, Bat or Jersey & wish they would have sent it elsewhere. Lots of threads about that.

I spoken to several people that own card shops that dont like grading at all, these guys sell Bats too.

I`m not sold either way, I can be happy with a Gamer if I have a good look at it, provided I know the Players Traits.

Sean