PDA

View Full Version : "WEIRD" 1997 Canada Day Blue Jays Jersey back up on eBay. Again.

withay
01-13-2009, 06:25 PM
I was hoping to get your expertise/advise on this topic.

This is the jersey in question...

http://cgi.ebay.com/1997-TORONTO-BLUE-JAYS-CANADA-DAY-GAME-WORN-JERSEY-RARE_W0QQitemZ200296882236QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_SM _Fan_Shop?hash=item200296882236&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A10|39%3A1|240%3A1318

I don't believe it's game worn (details below). It was listed on eBay two months ago by a DIFFERENT seller, and he agreed with me, so he pulled it off the market. Now here's the letter I sent this morning to the current seller. It explains the story...

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Jon,

I am quite an avid Blue Jays jersey collector....the colours of the numbering seems to be REVERSED. As you can see from the pictures attached, the numbers and lettering used that day were BLUE with red trim, but this jersey has numbers that are RED with blue trim. Also the Russell logo on the back neck is red and blue, not white.

This exact jersey was listed in November 2008 on eBay by Pat Blandford of Kevin Savage Cards.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320316378710 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320316378710&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123)

At the time, I asked Pat about the origin of the jersey, because, as I told you, I'm very interested in getting a '97 Gamer in my collection. He was stumped. I also asked a couple Blue Jays jersey experts that I've made contact with on-line, and my contact at the Blue Jays that handles game worn jersey sales to the public. None of us could figure out the inconsistencies in the jersey.

Finally, Pat ended the auction early. He told me:

"Martyn,
I have decided to take this jersey down until we can figure out if this was a) an issued jersey; b) a prototype jersey; or c) something I need to list as a Blue Jays replica jersey. I don't wish to sell anything that might not be authentic. Thanks! Unfortunately, this collector was much more of an "autograph/game used bat guy" than he was a jersey collector(although he had a number of those as well). Pat Blandford Kevin Savage Cards"

I followed up with Pat yesterday, hoping that more info had been discovered about this jersey since November (again, I'm really dying to get a '97 Gamer in my collection), and he told me

"Martyn,
We ended up auctioning the item in our SCD auction- as a jersey, but not claiming it was game worn- I actually described it as a salesman's jersey- I was unable to find out anything else about the jersey--possibly the new seller knows more than I do in this case...if I had found out anything additional, I would have been happy to have contacted you..."

So I wanted to contact you before I bid to see if you had any more clues as to the orgin of this jersey, and why the colours seem to be reversed.

Thanks again for your time on this issue,
-----------------------------------------------------------------

The response I got from Jon tonight (who seems to have an impeccable reputation on eBay) was "hello it came from a major auction house. thanks".

What are your thoughts? Is there anything I can do? Upon looking at the photos, this is clearly not a Gamer. The person who had the jersey in November knew it. And that person sold it as a "salesman's jersey". The person who's selling it now must know it (after looking at the photo evidence). But the people bidding on it clearly don't.

Any suggestions/advice?
Thanks again for your help!!

Cheers,
Martyn

P.S. - The quote from my Blue Jays contact back in November (Mike A. for those of you who know him) was "I see the difference between the one for sale & the picture of Clemens......I can't say I know what's up with this. The one for sale looks wrong. I wonder if they (Rawlings) produced the first batch incorrectly, & had to redo them with the proper #'s/letters?? Sorry I cant help you out anymore than that.....I'm just not sure."

withay
01-13-2009, 06:28 PM
Sorry,

This link should work for the current auction of the Toronto jersey.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200296882236&ssPageName=ADME:B:EF:US:1123

withay
01-13-2009, 06:31 PM
I guess that didn't work either. Any chance someone could help me out with the link. Sorry :(

3arod13
01-13-2009, 06:56 PM
I guess that didn't work either. Any chance someone could help me out with the link. Sorry :(

Here you go:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200296882236

Regards, Tony

TNTtoys
01-13-2009, 07:08 PM
And who would have worn #44 for the Blue Jays in 1997 anyway?
I can't seem to find a single player, manager or coach that wore that number...

earlywynnfan
01-13-2009, 08:29 PM
I emailed him and he changed the listing.

Ken
earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

withay
01-13-2009, 08:32 PM
Thanks Ken,

You seemed to have more luck than I did.
Hey, did you know Early Wynn called the first ever Blue Jays game in 1977 on radio?

Cheers,
Martyn