PDA

View Full Version : 1980 Ricky Henderson Auction

Lokee
01-14-2009, 09:00 PM
How deos this look to everyone ? I am know A's jersey expert and would like some opinions

http://cgi.ebay.com/1980-RICKEY-HENDERSON-GAME-USED-WORN-AS-JERSEY_W0QQitemZ190280311628QQihZ009QQcategoryZ605 97QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Lokee
01-14-2009, 09:01 PM
meant Rickey

kingjammy24
01-15-2009, 04:07 PM
in 1980, rickey stole 100 bases. and he was a head-first slider.

just sayin'.

rudy.

flaco1801
01-17-2009, 07:31 PM
rudy i was just type something to that effect, looks kinda minty for the abuse it should have.

RJB44
01-18-2009, 01:21 PM
Hi - I have collected a number of Oakland jerseys from the 1970 -80 era, and currently have several. Although the Henderson jersey appears to have all the correct attributes of a McAuliffe made item, I do have to agree that it does look a little too clean for 1980 use. I have not seen too many color pictures of Rickey wearing the green jersey, although there is one on Getty. I do have a B&W photo of Rickey taken in Spring Training of 1980, which shows him wearing the green jersey. Interesting enough, this picture shows that the top part of the "A's" is clearly losing it's stitching, as part of it is detached from the jersey. Granted, being spring training, this could have easily been a pre-season, recycled jersey, or the one he used during 1979. It does clearly show his name on the back. I have seen a number of photos of Henderson’s Gold McAuliffe jerseys. I have even seen him wearing them as late as spring training 1983, with "excessive" frontal wear.

Another odd aspect of the Auction jersey, is that the McAuliffe tagging is on the inside, whereas other 1980 jerseys I have seen, including my own 1980 Brian Kingman McAuliffe (green), have the tagging on the outside. I know that Rickey’s Gold and White McAuliffe have all been on the market in the last five years.

kingjammy24
01-18-2009, 07:46 PM
here's a 1980 henderson that AMI auctioned off:

http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/Auction_Item.asp?Auction_ID=40583

the nob font is very different from the ebay jersey. i don't know which is correct.

the ebay seller notes that their jersey "shows significant wear from use and laundering". as well, the GFC cert notes that the jersey shows "good game-use". maybe that's true. maybe the photos aren't fully showing the wear/use. i know photos can sometimes be deceptive in that regard.

that said, the close-up of the back of the jersey makes those back numbers and the nob appear pretty crisp. perhaps, in person, the jersey shows more use than the photos indicate. i guess the winning bidder will find out.

keeping in mind that in 1980, henderson was probably issued the typical number of shirts for a player on the 1980 A's. he played in more games in 1980 than he'd ever end up playing in his entire career in a single year; 158 games, 591 ABs. all of them as a left fielder. and 100 SBs.

the problem with most A's henderson shirts i've seen is the lack of use they seem to exhibit for such a hardplaying outfielder/baserunner. early 90s henderson shirts aren't in short supply yet every one i've seen (over a dozen) looked pretty minty. the proper specs were all there, but the use wasn't. lelands once sold a nice 1993, complete with dirt and henderson inscription, and the front team wordmark and back numbers had visible puckering.

rudy.

RJB44
01-18-2009, 08:29 PM
Regarding the AMI Jersey, it could possibly be photo matched to the 1981 Donruss baseball card. As most of us know, baseball card photos from the late 1970's and early 1980's were typically taken during the previous season, or in some rare occasions during spring training. So the AMI jersey could be the same one he is wearing in his 1981 Donruss card. The card shows the "slit" in the collar.

kingjammy24
01-18-2009, 08:49 PM
Regarding the AMI Jersey, it could possibly be photo matched to the 1981 Donruss baseball card. As most of us know, baseball card photos from the late 1970's and early 1980's were typically taken during the previous season, or in some rare occasions during spring training. So the AMI jersey could be the same one he is wearing in his 1981 Donruss card. The card shows the "slit" in the collar.

this card: http://www.checkoutmycards.com/Cards/Baseball/1981/Kelloggs/33/Rickey_Henderson
also shows 2 distinct pucker marks on the bottom portion of the "3" that seem to match up with the AMI jersey. as well, the nob shown on the card seems to match the AMI jersey.

sooo..why are the nobs between the yellow AMI shirt and the green ebay shirt so different then?

rickey's on the cover of street & smith's 1981 baseball yearbook, playing in his green jersey, showing his back. but i can't get a clear view of it from the various versions available currently on ebay.

rudy.