PDA

View Full Version : A note about contacting sellers- IMPORTANT

Eric
04-08-2006, 09:58 PM
Forum members-
It is unfortunate that I have to do this because I would have thought that common sense would have suggested what I am about to describe.

But- it has come to my attention that people from this site might be misguided in what to say when contacting someone who is selling an item you have questions about, or find questionable.

Here’s the way to do it

Dear Bigtime Authentics Corp
I noticed you are selling a John Smith game worn jersey on ebay (item 1234567). I had a few questions about it and was wondering if there was some sort of explanation. You have it listed as a 1999 John Smith Yankees jersey, however Smith did not play with the Yankees until 2000. Do you have any insight on this? Please explain.
Signed,
Potential Buyer

Here is the way not to do it.

Dear Bigtime Authentics Corp
I noticed you’re trying to rip people off by selling a 1999 John Smith Yankees jersey. It’s clearly a fake since anyone would know John Smith didn’t play with the Yankees until 2000. If y9ou do not respond immediately I am going public with this on Game Used Forum and Game Used Universe to tell people how you’re ripping people off.
Signed,
Potential Buyer

The response to the first letter would likely be something like

Dear Potential Buyer-
You are correct. We went back and checked our source on the John Smith jersey. It turns out it was a recycled 1999 jersey which Smith used in 2000. In 2000 the Yankees used many jerseys from 1999. I appreciate the question and apologize for the confusion. If there are any more questions, please let me know
Bigtime Authentics Corp

In that case there’s a plausible explanation which you can take into account when you choose to bid or not to bid

The response to the second letter would likely be something like-

Potential Buyer-
I don’t need the aggressive attitude and the threat. Go screw yourself.

There are so many inconsistencies in this hobby, that you have to assume there’ could be a reasonable explanation. Jerseys are recycled. Tagging can be inconsistent. A piece can be customized. The player who the jersey is sourced from could be wrong (see recent Rod Carew glove)

I think we have to be careful not to jump the gun on yelling "Cheat." Sure, there are plenty of crooked people out to make a buck in this hobby, but there is a process you must go through before reaching that conclusion.

Those are my two cents . I am interested to hear what people think
Thanks
Eric

suave1477
04-09-2006, 12:54 AM
Eric I agree, sometimes the seller himself doesnt fully understand what hes selling and sometimes they are trying to rip you off and the only plausible way to handle it is to ask in a gentlman like manner

STLWSB
04-09-2006, 02:03 AM
Eric, I apoligize to you, I know you are talking to me with this thread, I am not going to post anymore about this situation or any other situation for that matter after this. I thought by starting the thread that it might help someone who was thinking about bidding on that item. I am not going to jump through a bunch of hoops to point out a fraud company or their fraudelant items. The only thing acclomplished by e-mailing this company is getting to hear their BS answers and their crying. I understand that you have to have rules in place to protect this forum and yourself. I did not feel I was threatening toward this company and do not know what their problem is. I stated plain simple facts and they could not back up their item. The only defense they had was to go whining and crying to you about it. I do not know why I have to kiss a company's ass to ask a question. I posed direct, simple, questions and they did not want to answer them. I exposed their item for what it is and they just wanted to pass the buck off to the player it was obtained from.

Sincerely,
Russell
zepplin_1@msn.com

Eric
04-09-2006, 08:48 AM
First of all, this thread is not specifically about you. I have been involved in other situations where users from this site have told sellers "I got you- you're ripping people off and I'm going to tell everyone." And they were wrong- in fact the seller was selling something legit, just from a different year than he thought.

And contacting a seller with your questions before going public is not jumping through a bunch of hoops. It's about approaching these situations in a professional manner. Like I said, many times there are explanations for things.

ESM's explanation that the player told them it was used all season uncovers a problem, which has come up in the hobby recently and should be addressed. That is- even if a player hands you something and tells you what it is and when it's from, they are not necessarily correct (See the Carew glove)

It's is great that you uncovered this with the Peralta glove and ESM. Perhaps we're learning that even companies who get their items from the players need to do additional homework and provide style match photos as well. That would have prevented the mistake with this glove.

Eric