Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lund6771
    • Dec 2006

AMI 1993 Emmitt Smith Game Worn Jersey

Forum members, here it is again!....same Emmitt Smith jersey that they previously offered

THis time they try to [describe the jersey as follows]:

"Although there is no photo documentation of his wearing pockets during the season, our research indicates that this was prepared for use in case the Cowboys had to go on the road for the playoffs. Entering the final week of play, a number of teams were within reach of post-season home field advantage, and the Cowboys most likely took one of Emmitt's gamers and tailored the preparations if the team had to travel north, or to San Francisco and inclement weather."

That is an incredible piece of investigative research that they conjured up 15 years later...they forgot to end this fairy tale of a discription with "the cow jumped over the moon"

Anyways, here are the facts on why this is [questionable]....The Cowboys only wore Apex in 93 and 94...in 94 the 75th anniversery patch was worn...In 1993 the Boys wore Blue against the Redskins, Cardinals, and Eagles that season on the road...

1. Emmitt was a hold out against the Redskins in Washington in 1993

2. At Arizona, Emmitt wore the jersey in the picture below...notice that there is only one sleeve stripe shown that is cut and hemmed, not 2 sleeve stripes and cuffed as the AMI [in question]

3. The last hope is against the Eagles in Phili....forgot the fact that Emmitt kept a large percentage of his jerseys...below see a picture of the style of jersey that was supplied to Emmtt in 1993...notice the large gap between the letters "E" & "S' in the NOB...although this picture is not from the game in Phili, the NOB spacing is the same as Emmitt wore against the Eagles in game video, and all other teams for that matter

Hopefully they do the right thing this time, and pull it
  • hblakewolf
    Banned
    • Nov 2005

Re: AMI 1993 Emmitt Smith Game Worn Jersey Fake

Lund-

Extremely disturbing if indeed true.

Can any other experieinced Smith or football collectors possibly shed some additional informaiton on this, or possibly Keeta or Vic at AMI?

Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@comcast.net

Comment

• lund6771
      • Dec 2006

Originally posted by hblakewolf
      Lund-

Extremely disturbing if indeed true.

Can any other experieinced Smith or football collectors possibly shed some additional informaiton on this, or possibly Keeta or Vic at AMI?

Howard Wolf
      hblakewolf@comcast.net

Yes Howard, indeed it is true and extremely disturbing that this retail shirt hasn't been pulled yet

there is nothing "questionable" about this shirt....photographs/video are 100% factual, not questionable

Comment

• hblakewolf
        Banned
        • Nov 2005

Originally posted by lund6771
        Yes Howard, indeed it is true and extremely disturbing that this retail shirt hasn't been pulled yet

there is nothing "questionable" about this shirt....photographs/video are 100% factual, not questionable

Lund-

I emailed both Kieta and Vic at American Memorabilia yesterday morning with a link to this thread. I asked them to either comment directly on this thread, or respond directly to me. I have not received a reply and it does not appear they have added to this thread.

FYI

Howard Wolf
        hblakewolf@comcast.net

Comment

• lund6771
          • Dec 2006

Lund-

I emailed both Kieta and Vic at American Memorabilia yesterday morning with a link to this thread. I asked them to either comment directly on this thread, or respond directly to me. I have not received a reply and it does not appear they have added to this thread.

FYI

Howard Wolf
          hblakewolf@comcast.net

Howard....Have you received a response from anyone at AMI about this Emmitt jersey?

If not, maybe they are frantically attemping to find pictures of Emmitt from the game in Philly in '93....

Either way, I will post pictures from this game against the Eagles to save them the legwork....It's pretty sad that they gave this jersey a thumbs up, considering all of the issues with it....

Anyhow I'm sure they'll feel a great deal of relief that a bad jersey has not been put in the market after seeing the Philly pictures

Comment

• hblakewolf
            Banned
            • Nov 2005

Originally posted by lund6771
            Howard....Have you received a response from anyone at AMI about this Emmitt jersey?

If not, maybe they are frantically attemping to find pictures of Emmitt from the game in Philly in '93....

Either way, I will post pictures from this game against the Eagles to save them the legwork....It's pretty sad that they gave this jersey a thumbs up, considering all of the issues with it....

Anyhow I'm sure they'll feel a great deal of relief that a bad jersey has not been put in the market after seeing the Philly pictures
            Lund-

I'm not in receipt of a reply to my email account, nor does it appear Vic or Keta at American Memorabila have posted a reply on this thread.

You note that you'll post some photos-when can we expect to see these?

Thanks.
            Howard Wolf
            hblakewolf@comcast.net

Comment

• lund6771
              • Dec 2006

Lund-

I'm not in receipt of a reply to my email account, nor does it appear Vic or Keta at American Memorabila have posted a reply on this thread.

You note that you'll post some photos-when can we expect to see these?

Thanks.
              Howard Wolf
              hblakewolf@comcast.net

Howard...

Hmmmm....no response from AMI?...maybe they have a strong case of Lampsonitis, which clinically is a categorized as metamorphism into a ghost type figure

the dvd of the Eagles game came in the mail today....I'll post multiple pictures of Emmitt playing in this game later tonight

Comment

• lund6771
                • Dec 2006

Re: AMI 1993 Emmitt Smith Game Worn Jersey

Here are pictures of Emmitt from the 10/31/1993 game in Phili

Many major differences noticed on the jersey that Emmitt is wearing in the video vs the AMI retail jersey

THe one's that pop out immediately are:

1. The space between "E" and "S" in the name on back.
                2. The location of the Apex logo's on the sleeves. The AMI retail jersey has the Apex logo's situated directly above the sleeve stripe. In the video the logo is located much higher.
                3. The AMI retail jersey's sleeves are much to long. In the video, the cuff is located directly below 2nd sleeve stripe.

So here is a recap on why Emmitt NEVER wore this jersey.

Cowboy's wore Apex in 1993 & 1994....In 1994 there would have been a 94 year swatch in the tail and the NFL 75th anniversery patch would be present....so this alone narrows the jersey to only a 1993 possibility....in 1993 Emmitt was a contract holdout and did not play any preseason games...The Cowboy's only wore the blue jerseys 3 times that year in the regular season....at Washington, where Emmitt was a holdout...at Arizona, where Emmitt is pictured above...and lastly at Philly as shown in this post

So it can be 100% accurately deduced that this jersey is nothing more than doctored up retail jersey
                Attached Files

Comment

• TriplexXxSports
                  • Jan 2009

Lund,

Nice job with the detective work! You seem to have hit the nail on the head. I just find it amazing that, even with this valuable bit of info, there are still 8 people bidding, with the price just a little over $1500 and sure to climb the final days. That's a nice chunk of change for a jersey that cost $80 w/ some alterations made by your grandmother, the seamstress.

Indeed, this compromises the integrity AMI, their items, and more disturbingly, their AUTHENTICATORS. I know that this thread will not stop folks from bidding on that jersey, and it is a shame that AMI refuses to see the facts, and continues to let people bid.

This is one of a hundred cases that is out on the market. All I can add to this thread is this small bit of advice:

1) ALWAYS BE SURE TO RESEARCH YOUR PURCHASES! FANCY DESCRIPTIONS AND "AUTHENTICATION" ARE NOT ALWAYS WHAT THEY SEEM, OR 100% ACCURATE.

2) THERE ARE MANY RESOURCES AVAILABLE TO THE PUBLIC THAT CAN BE USED TO BECOME YOUR OWN "AUTHENTICATOR", IN SORTS. USE THE INFORMATION THAT IS OUT THERE TO HELP AIDE IN YOUR PURCHASES.

3) DON'T HESITATE TO ASK QUESTIONS. ASK AS MANY AS YOU NEED TO IN ORDER TO FEEL COMFORTABLE WITH YOUR PURCHASE. BRING THE INFORMATION & FACTS THAT YOU FOUND TO THE TABLE. SOME MISTAKES ARE HONEST, BUT THE SELLER SHOULD BE ABLE TO ACKNOWLEDGE THEM, AND MORE IMPORTANTLY, WORK WITH YOU.

4) NEVER BUY AN ITEM IF YOUR ARE NOT 100% COMFORTABLE WITH THE ITEM, SELLER, AND AUTHENTICATION. YOU ARE THE CUSTOMER, AND ALL "LEGIT" COMPANIES SHOULD WORK WITH YOU TO GUARANTEE 100% SATISFACTION.

Lund, thanks again for the info. I hope this will help others before they decide to waste their hard earned money on CRAP.

TriplexXxSports is always looking for Chicago Bears Game Used

Comment

• sammy
                    Banned
                    • Nov 2005

"...this compromises the integrity AMI...."

Sure had to laugh at that statement.

Do a search on this board and others.

You will find a lot of posts in regard to AMI's "integrity".

Comment

• hblakewolf
                      Banned
                      • Nov 2005

For those of you who have spoken with me about this, I have sent an additional email directly to Keeta and Vic, with a copy of this link attached. I have asked them to provide any insight to this thread that may assist in determing the authenticty of the Smith shirt in question. As of this post, I have not received a reply nor does it appear they have addressed the issues surfaced here.

On a related note, one of the foremost experts in football jerseys spoke with me and is questioning the ststement noted in the AMI listing:
                      "Although there is no photo documentation of his wearing pockets during the season, our research indicates that this was prepared for use in case the Cowboys had to go on the road for the playoffs. Entering the final week of play, a number of teams were within reach of post-season home field advantage, and the Cowboys most likely took one of Emmitt's gamers and tailored the preparations if the team had to travel north, or to San Francisco and inclement weather. "

After several emails to AMI with this thread attached, they still have not addressed or updated their listing to provide any insight as to their "Research". No additional informaiton or even a reference to a Getty or similar image supporting their "findings" has been added to their auction listing. "Most likely......."????????

Likewise, if the Cowboys did travel to San Francisco, wouldn't they wear their white jerseys?

Any insight from either AMI or an expereinced collector is welcomed. Likewise, if Lund or any other person could provide a single photo of Smith wearing the jersey in question or jersey with the similar nameplate spacing and Apex logo placement issues is appreciated.

Howard Wolf
                      hblakewolf@comcast.net

Comment

• skyking26
                        • Dec 2005

I've only had 1 or 2 dealings with this auction house, years ago, and bad experiences they were without citing details...

In this situation, I feel it is irresponsible for an auction house not to respond to questions, address emails, etc. on a given item they have and are attempting to move. JMO.

RK
                        ROBERT KOPPEL
                        Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,
                        and 1968, 1984, HOF Tigers GU Bats...Skyking442@hotmail.com

Comment

• kingjammy24
                          • Nov 2005

seems like pete pretty much nailed the coffin on this shirt. the other aspect that's interesting in all of this is seeing lou's mind work via the description. (i'm assuming it's lampson because there's only one man who can dish out bon mots like "..wear is deliciously solid" with a straight face. where have you heard that exact bizarre expression before? in mastro's description for their johnny unitas helmet:

"..side logos in deliciously flavored minimal mil depth..". so much for mastro's "secret team". delicious!

in this hobby, much of the evaluation of items is an exercise in putting the puzzle pieces together. this window of analysis sometimes offers a lot of leeway for an item to go one way or another, depending on how accurate the analysis is and how far an individual wants to stretch things in order to make an item good. so here lou's presented with one of these windows: a smith shirt with a handwarmer. oh oh, there's an anomaly. lou knows "..there is no photo documentation of his wearing pockets during the season..". that doesn't bode well for the shirt. lou needs to get paid though. what to do, what to do. if you're lou, now is the time to get the creative juices flowing and come up with a whimsical story; "..the Cowboys most likely took one of Emmitt's gamers and tailored the preparations if the team had to travel north, or to San Francisco and inclement weather." here's a thought: smith played 14 seasons in the NFL. he probably played in several cold weather games. did lou go back and check out if smith ever had handwarmers in cold weather games to see if this theory is likely? here's smith playing in a few cold weather games, including the 1992 NFC Championship in SF, at Candlestick, in January. The weather for that game was 54 °F, partly cloudy, occasional rain. A few other games, including one so cold that smith apparently had a mask; Philadelphia in December.

no handwarmers. so if smith didn't wear handwarmers on cold games in the past, including the '92 NFC Championship game in SF, where AMI states he was likely to need them, then how plausible is lou's theory?

i know none of this is a surprise to anyone. everyone is aware of what's going on and how lou works. if in doubt, create an unsubstantiated story.
                          the fact that AMI isn't answering any questions and doesn't even address the bizarre NOB spacing issue in their description isn't a surprise either. maybe what is surprising is that the jersey is already at $1729. if you've got the money, AMI's got the item and lou's got the story. all sales final.

rudy.

Comment

• aeneas01
                            • May 2007

and, of course, the cowboys earned home field advantage throughout the playoffs that year i.e. they did not have to travel to cold climate cities during the postseason. so to believe lampson's story one would have to buy into the notion that the cowboys felt it prudent to whip up a pocketed jersey for emmitt prior to the cowboy's last game of the season in anticipation of a loss. i guess it's impossible to add pockets to a jersey in a week's time, after the final game of the season.

btw how did lampson come up with san francsico as a "cold climate" city? compared to dallas in january, san francisco is the bahamas....

robert

Comment

• lund6771
                              • Dec 2006

another issue with the NOB is the font of the 'M' in "Smith"

If you look at the AMI retail shirt, the middle leg in the "M" goes all the way to the bottom of the other 2 legs....in the game pictures and video, the leg in the middle of the "M" is only half as long as the other 2 legs

wish I knew anything about photoshop...can someone put a picture of this on here?

As far as potentially playing a playoff game in SF....has anyone ever seen the niners wear anything but Red at home during this era?....unheard of....Maybe Lon can add to this

There are sooooo many issues with this jersey that I am absolutely baffled that any authenticator gave it a thumbs up...I'm as equally baffled that this jersey has not been pulled

Maybe Lou is the consignor?

Comment

Working...