PDA

View Full Version : Help regarding a refund from an ebay seller

ripkengamers
04-09-2006, 07:45 PM
Hope forum members can help me with the legalities around getting a refund for an item which I bought from an ebay seller. I sent the item in to PSA-DNA and came back as not to be an authentic autograph. I contacted the seller and he stated I will recieve the refund upon return of the item.

Q: Am I obligated to return the item in order to recieve my refund?? I'm not too optimistic the seller will hold true to his word.

What actions should I take??? I'm sure others on the forum have been in this situation before. As a side note it cost me close to $100 for authentication! Am I out the $100 and can only hold the seller to the cost of the item??

If anyone can help me out, please let me know.

Thanks!

ripkengamers@aol.com

2000mvpfan
04-09-2006, 09:32 PM
Hi-
If you payed with Paypal,you should be covered by their buyer protection program.On the E-bay homepage,it should be under the listing for security center.They will ask you for the specifics of the purchase (auction #,problem with item,etc.).I would definitely try to get your money back this way.It usually takes Paypal/E-bay a couple of days to sort it out,but it's better than trusting an unscrupulous seller.Good luck!

Joe

sammy
04-09-2006, 10:37 PM
To begin with, just because PSA/DNA failed this autograph does not mean it is not a legitimate signature. As we all have seen, and some of us know, PSA/DNA has passed bad autographs, as well as flunked good ones.

If you like the autograph, send it to someone else for another opinion. Opinions vary on many items among all authenticators. Heck, even the same ones fail autographs they previously passed, and vis-versa.

As for returning the item before you get a refund, that is a given. No one is going to send you a refund without receiving the item back and making sure it is the same one sent.

In regard to the ridiculous authentication fee, that is your expense.

If you paid with PayPal, you have 45 days to file a complaint from the day you paid, and you will need a letter from PSA/DNA stating they declined the autograph. If you sent a check, good luck.

Post the autograph on here and we can give you an opinion for free.

trsent
04-10-2006, 10:22 AM
I know as a seller with a great history of completing over 12,000 transaction on eBay to date, I will not take a return until the item is in my possession.

Now with that said, a seller with any number of transaction completed generally will keep a policy that the item must be returned prior to issuing a refund. How could they possibly know that you will return the item?

Be sure to get a tracking number and send them a copy of your letter from PSA/DNA to prove your point. I wouldn't send them the original because of general principles. As stated elsewhere, if you paid using PayPal you are protected by PayPal's guidelines. You do not need to dispute the charge until they have received your return, so be sure the item has a delivery confirmation so you can be sure when they received it.

If you are mailing checks or money orders still, I would recommend opening a PayPal account. It just makes the transaction that much safer for you as a buyer.

suave1477
04-10-2006, 10:53 AM
Oh nooooooooo Trsent is back EVERYBODY RUN FOR THE HILLS!!!! lol lol:D

trsent
04-10-2006, 11:59 AM
Oh nooooooooo Trsent is back EVERYBODY RUN FOR THE HILLS!!!! lol lol:D

I am not talking to you until you trade me the pitcher I want.

suave1477
04-10-2006, 01:11 PM
Trsent look at the smack talk i responded to your trade!!!:D

ripkengamers
04-10-2006, 06:35 PM
Joel, Joe, Sammy, Sauve1477,
Gentlemen, thanks for your valued input.

For curiousity sake I'm sure some are wondering what it is I purchased :p

I purchased a Steve Williams caddies bib from the 2005 Buick Open at Warrick Hills. The nameplate was "signed" by Tiger Woods. I was fairly confident in the signature but verification was key so I sent it in to PSA/DNA. Attached are the photos of the bib, auto and LOA from PSA/DNA.

Any members proficient at Tiger Woods autographs???

If anyone knows someone who can consider themselves "experts" at Tiger autographs please let me know ASAP before I return this to its owner.

Thanks.

otismalibu
04-10-2006, 06:47 PM
I'm no autograph expert, but when I see signs that the auto was signed very slowly, I'm concerned. See the "wobbles" in the script?

Greg

MSpecht
04-10-2006, 06:51 PM
Hi--

A couple of points:

First, The most experienced and the best authentication of Tiger Woods autographs that I am personally aware of is at Global Authebtication.

Second, some Ebay sellers put a statement in their descriptions somethinfg along the lines of "Guaranteed to pass any legitimate authentication, i.e. Spence, Gutierrez, PSA/DNA, Global, or whatever..." If a seller makes such a statement my opinion is that if the item fails to pass authentication, the seller has the obligation to foot the bill...if it does pass authentication, the cost is the buyers, who chose to get the item authenticated...

Good Luck.

Mike

sammy
04-10-2006, 10:37 PM
Just looked at the photos you attached of the "Tiger Woods" autograph.

PSA/DNA made the right call on this one.

Hope you are able to get your funds back.

Rob L
04-14-2006, 04:44 PM
Tiger's autograph has changed a little over the years. His earlier signature was more slanted and very smooth, particularly the final loop in the W. Also, Tiger and the W were typically joined together. His current signature is more upright but there is usally a fairly defined flat spot in the end of the W. The autograph is still typically a joined signature between the Tiger and W. Recent autographs, particularly those over the last 5 years or so, that show a smooth curve in the W is not usually real. Hope this helps.

Rob L

ripkengamers
04-15-2006, 07:09 AM
Thanks to all the forum members for their valued input. The bib is on its way back to the seller, signature confirmation delivery, along with photocopy of the LOA and is photographed as well. I'll let you know how I make out.

Best Regards,

Dan (ripkengamers@aol.com)