PDA

View Full Version : Batting Helmets

bronx_burner
01-17-2009, 06:49 PM
I'm looking for some starter info on batting helmets as I don't really know much about what to look for. First is concerning maunfacturers. I know that ABC was the main supplier of helmets for a long time and was then acquired by Rawlings about 5 years ago. But did Rawlings ever provide helmets to major league teams prior to that? I saw this auction for a Chili Davis helmet from '92:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170291000864

So assuming its real , Rawlings supplied helmets as well. If they did, did that mean the whole team wore the same manufacturer?

I was looking at pictures of Paul Molitor on Getty images while he was on the Blue Jays... pictures from 1993 and saw him wearing what appeared to be a Rawlings helmet in one image and a ABC helmet in another. That makes me think you could even have the same player using either manufacturer during the same year? Is that right?

And then I've read some things about dating ABC helmets by markings inside. Can anyone explain this if its not exceedingly complicated? Can Rawlings helmets be dated?

Any other tips, pointer, things to look for, things to steer away from would be appreciated. Thanks

momen55
01-17-2009, 10:25 PM
kirby puckett wore rawlings, at least all the times i saw him. macguire wore them too.