PDA

View Full Version : Mize bats

earlywynnfan
04-10-2006, 10:22 AM
OK, this isn't necessarily a shipping records Q, but isn't there some sort of prep work that Mize did to all of his bats that need to be there to be considered a true mize gamer? something like criss cross tape or something? (I'm NOT asking this to 'ding' mastro; i'm asking because i thought i read something once but can't remember; it could've been another player.)

thanks, Ken

http://www.mastronet.com/index.cfm?action=DisplayContent&ContentName=Lot%20Information&LotIndex=57788&CurrentRow=1

JimCaravello
04-10-2006, 11:02 AM
Hi Ken - I am not aware of any special prepping that Mize may have done to his bats, but I am certainly no expert on his bats. You see very few that actually come to auction. I have a couple of wire photos of him batting with the Yanks and I'll check those - Maybe Mike or someone else can help? I did the see the bat you are referring to - comes from Charlie Silvera's personal collection - that ain't that bad! Grades an 8 - has light use - I am guessing?? that it is probably a 7 from a use standpoint as they indicate it has light use - and then MEARS tacked on another point for provenance. It is a very attractive bat.......I'll check photos and get back with you. Jim

MSpecht
04-10-2006, 12:50 PM
Hi--

This looks like an attractive bat that matches Johnny Mize's H & B factory records for shipments in 1950, 1951, and 1952. It was also the model Mized used in the 1949, 1950, 1951 and 1952 World Series, and Model H117 was by far his favored model throughout his entire career. I am not aware of any hold-fast Mize personal game use characteristics . I am a little confused about this comment in the write-up, however:

"...this 36", 34-1/2-oz. white ash weapon was often employed by switch-hitting icon Mickey Mantle, as well. That fact is attested to by Mize's Bronx Bomber teammate Charlie Silvera—whose personal collection has been home to this bat for better than 50 years. The uncracked lumber shows light use,.."

There is no documented evidence in Mantle's factory records that he ever ordered or used the Rogers Hornsby Model H117 bat, and if he "often employed" this specific bat, it must have not worked out too well for him based on the evidence of only "light use." Possibly just some over-descriptive writing based on the fifty-year memory of Silvera (see my recent post on the Fred Lynn bat in "Current Auction Items.)

Regardless, this looks like a quality bat for a personal collection.

Good Luck.

Mike

JimCaravello
04-10-2006, 04:29 PM
Ken - one of my photos was very clear and the bat Mize is holding looks just like the one in auction - a H117 model ( or another model ) with a Hornsby knob for sure. There is no evidence of tape, but its impossible to see if there is tar on the handle. As mentioned earlier and also as Mike has mentioned, this looks like a fine eaxample........Hope that helps.....Jim