PDA

View Full Version : OT kind of: Pebble Beach Pro Am

whatupyos
01-20-2009, 02:17 AM
I know the Pebble Beach Pro Am is coming up. I was lucky enough to go when I was 12 with a family friend. I got Tom Glavine to sign my event brochure. Anyone have any experience going and getting any event used items? Any golf clubs, balls, gloves or hats?

Has anyone played Pebble Beach? I want to and wanted to know what the stips are. I know its super expensive but I'd love to say that I played there.

Aaron

chicagoglen
01-20-2009, 06:37 AM
Not game used but a great Pebble Story non the less.

I had just been promoted in my first job after college and had been transferred to northern CA to work for a company that ran Kraft Foods Distribution Centers. Kraft always had tickets given to them so I was invited to attend the 2000 Pro Am Wednesday practice round with my boss and about 5 Kraft Excecutives.

This day I was wearing my White Sox Jacket and White Sox hat and we were making our way around the course. We were watching Freddy Couples, Davis Love III, Jimmy Connors, and some guy I did not know finish up teeing off.

When they finished, the guy I did not recognize came over to me and jokingly said, "Hey there bud, you a Sox fan?" The young smart ass in me said, "Sure am. What tipped you off? The guy laughed and said, "he was from Chicago himself but he was a Cubs fan". I said again jokingly, 'Sorry to hear that!" Again he laughed.

He introduced himself as comedian Tom Dreason, said he used to be in Vegas and on the Johnny Carson Show. He lifted the rope,and said, "Come on', lets walk and talk Chicago baseball." The next thing I know I am walking down the fairway with Tom Dreason, Freddy Couples, Davis Love III, and Jimmy Connors!

The Excecutives from Kraft and my boss were stunned. These guys were golf fanatics and here is this nobody South Side Kid walking with the greats of golf down the fairway at Pebble Beach.

We talked baseball while we made it to their approach shots. He offered to let me take it but there were thousands of people around and I did not want to kill anyone. I told him how I was raised and how my dad had never seen a Cubs game in Wrigley field because he hated the Cubs. My dad would refuse box and skybox tickets. He asked if I was buying any suvineers to send home. Itold him I was buying a Pebble Beach pin flag to mail home for my dad's 50th birthday present. He said, "Well lets make it good then huh" He then signed it the following way, "Dear John, Happy 50th Birthday! Stay the F&*K out of Wrigley! Tom Dreason. He then called over the rest of the guys and they all signed it. It was a great say and I have memories that will last a lifetime.

Here is who I remmber ended up signing the flag. (I know there were more) I had it framed and matted with the tickets from the day and the score cards from Pebble Beach, Poppy hill, and Spyglass. It still hangs in my dad's office at work.

Tom Dreason
Kevin Kostner (Actor)
Jimmy Connors (Tennis Pro)
Davis Love III
Freddy Couples
Jeff Slueman
Jim McGovern

Thanks,

Glen