PDA

View Full Version : Mears

b.heagy
01-20-2009, 04:35 PM
Back in September of 2008 I consigned half a dozen quality items to one of the major auction houses. All went very well, one of the associates from the auction house came to pick up my items in person. A week went by when I was told that one of the items was not authentic. I was stunned, the items came from a VERY reputable source. I researched the item from top to bottom, inside and out and even found photo matches to support my research. The findings of my research were sent along with the items (photo match and actual Topps baseball card). The auction house expert/authenticator gave the item in question a thumbs down. I was told in person that there was no doubt that the item in question was no good and that they were sorry to bring me the bad news. I actually started to question my own research, I am not an authenticator but I started to believe I missed something and may have been fooled. Those thoughts were quickly dismissed when I re-examined the item again. I emailed the auction house a few more times to try to find out if the materials I provided (photo and card) were examined when the items was loked at, I was told again that they were sorry the item was not what I thought it was. I was not about to give up.

I contacted Dave Mediema via email who was gracious enough in the past to volunteer information about items via email in the past because of some of the posts I made here. I sent photos of the item in question and he agreed let me send the items to him to inspect in person. This was late in September and since MEARS was relocating to a larger facility I should wait until November to send the items in. I marked my calendar and emailed Dave once again before I sent the materials to him once the time had come. He gave me the OK so I sent the Jersey and pants along with the same photo and card that the auction house was supplied with. The amount of communication with Dave was incredible and I appreciate every moment of his time that he took to work with me. From Dave's hands the uniform was sent to Troy.

Once I knew the uniform was in Troy's hands I contacted him for the updates. He answered all my questions in a timely manner and kept me up to date on what was happening with my items. Before the final evaluation was complete Troy had contacted Dave again for any final thoughts. I received my uniform today 1/20/09 and am very pleased with the entire process. This was the first time I have used MEARS services, I could not have asked for better service. Attached is a scan of the LOO from MEARS with the final grade.

A big THANK YOU ! to MEARS and their staff for doing a wonderful job with the item I submitted. To Dave and Troy it has been a pleasure to work with you.

1986&2004Bosox
01-20-2009, 04:44 PM
It's great that the jersey cam back a 9 congrats

karamaxjoe
01-20-2009, 05:10 PM
Nice Fisk BP shirt. What was the initial reason from Troy to give it a thumbs down?

b.heagy
01-20-2009, 05:40 PM
Troy never gave it a thumbs down. The auction house authenticator gave it a thumbs down.

mvandor
01-20-2009, 06:51 PM
you care to share which auction house? Any idea who their authenticator was?

jppopma
01-20-2009, 10:38 PM
I'm curious what auction house and authenticator said no, and if they gave any reasoning. With all the bad items they pass its odd to see this 180 move.

Any chance they gave it the thumbs down and then offered to buy it from you in the next breath?

Nice jersey by the way.