PDA

View Full Version : "If it's not authenticated it's not real" ????

spartakid
01-20-2009, 08:24 PM
Ok, I just heard the most absurd thing ever. I won't use the person's name and submit them to eternal shame. The person said "if it's not authenticated, it's not real." He says that he only likes to buy steiner and mlb authenticated bats because you "know" they're real. Can you please back me up on this!!!:confused:

platinum1
01-20-2009, 08:35 PM
OOOOH CRAP!!! All the stuff that I have bougt over the years at the White Sox annual Garage Sale must be fake becaue they dont come with the OVER PRICED MLB hologram sticker:p Oh well Maybe I can use the money I save to buy many other jerseys:D

cigarman44
01-20-2009, 08:43 PM
That is rediculous on two counts. One, not everything used in a game goes through MLB or Steiner (Thank god!). Two, there are many accounts of stuff from MLB an Steiner being stated as game used or used in a regular season game when it clearly was issued or used in spring training.

TFig27
01-20-2009, 08:46 PM
Ok, I just heard the most absurd thing ever. I won't use the person's name and submit them to eternal shame. The person said "if it's not authenticated, it's not real." He says that he only likes to buy steiner and mlb authenticated bats because you "know" they're real. Can you please back me up on this!!!:confused:

I think what they really mean is that they like buying a game used item when they know the source of that item. At least with MLB and Steiner you know they have access to that equipment. But, a bat from a guy who drove a player's great aunt to the airport doesn't have the same appeal, especially to new collectors. Whoever said this, it is their money and they can spend however they like. People probably say we are crazy for buying dirty clothes and broken bats, with or without holograms or COAs. Even, with Steiner and MLB, one must do their own homework and research. I assume the person that made the comment is a new collector. They can feel comfortable with buying items where they know the source. But, as time goes on, they will learn that there can be some very nice items that might not always have the "perfect COA" to go with it.

Sluggo
01-20-2009, 10:36 PM
nevermind

Sluggo
01-20-2009, 10:52 PM
...At least with MLB and Steiner you know they have access to that equipment...I assume the person that made the comment is a new collector. They can feel comfortable with buying items where they know the source...

This is not just hypothetical. This is first-hand knowledge.

MLB pays some second-year employee of a local accounting firm, to come into a clubhouse after a game... (a kid that may know NOTHING about baseball, a kid that may just be interested in sucking up to their boss at their "real" job wrt some bigger account, a kid that may or may not paying attention while at the game, unable to see whose model bat just broke or what bases the grounds crew swapped out during the 5th inning)...

After the game, the home team's equipment manager, or worse - the batboy, then tells that employee what to sticker and what to write on the sheet to be entered into the MLB Authentic system the next morning...

The employee does it. End of discussion. It's a side job. The employee gets home that much quicker, they get paid regardless of what they submit the next day. They then focus on their "real" job and career of auditing a law firm or box store.

IMHO, authentication these days means next to nothing.

spartakid
01-20-2009, 11:21 PM
Sluggo, when you say first hand knowledge, were you one of these people?

Sluggo
01-20-2009, 11:36 PM
Sluggo, when you say first hand knowledge, were you one of these people?

I used to work in the industry on the league / team side, and I voiced my concern when I saw potential problems.

I no longer work in the industry, but may again some day. So forgive me for being a little vague. :)

Not that everything is bad either. There's plenty of good. But for people who absolutely think the system is flawless, I hate to be the one to tell you...

spartakid
01-20-2009, 11:47 PM
Wow, thanks it helps to have "inside" info like that.