• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • schubert1970
    Banned
    • Jun 2008

Joba Imposter?

Charges filed against man who faked Joba’s autograph
    A Toms River, N.J. man who bears a resemblance to Yankees pitcher Joba Chamberlain is facing charges of theft by deception and disorderly conduct for allegedly accepting free food and signing autographs under the guise that he is the Yankees pitcher.

Ryan Ward, 30, could face up to a year in jail if convicted. He’s charged with scamming a bagel shop out of free food last summer after allegedly telling an employee, “Do you know who I am?,’’ and pointing to a photo of Chamberlain in a newspaper. Police say he also signed autographs and promised women free Yankee tickets, and represented himself as Chamberlain in other businesses in Belmar and Spring Lake, and was banned from a few local bars because of it.

Ward has denied the charges, telling the Asbury Park Press, “You can’t have fun anymore, can you?’’ His attorney, Constantine Bardis, called the charges against Ward a “tragedy,” saying her client just “goofed around because he kind of looks like the guy.’’

Ward’s municipal court trial is scheduled for Feb. 11.
  • godwulf
    • Aug 2007

Re: Joba Imposter?

This story is a more complete account, and I think is somewhat more sympathetic to the guy.

Even if you don't count all the quotes from his lawyer.
    Jeff
    godwulf1@cox.net

Comment

• chakes89
      • May 2006

No picture?

LAME!
      I collect Jay Bruce and Cincinnati Reds Minor League stuff

My email address: hakes89@gmail.com

Comment

• TNTtoys
        • Aug 2006

I read this today and couldn't believe how ridiculous... Arrest a man for scamming bagels and signing autographs? Sounds like a childhood prank, not a crime. I thought to myself...why aren't they going after the real criminals... like baseball players who take steroids?
        Looking for ...
        Any Game Used Mets jerseys from 1986 and 1987
        Any Keith Hernandez, Ron Darling, Lee Mazzilli and John Olerud Mets items
        Email me at TNT_Toys@yahoo.com

Comment

• spartakid
          • Oct 2008

I'm with Chakes, I want a picture! He must really look like him if he fooled all those people.
          Ricardo Montoya

ri.montoya at yahoo dot com

Comment

• David
            • Sep 2024

It would be pretty sad if a MLB player was trying to get free food from a bagel shop. Besides, instead of showering him with confetti, the employee should have said "You make $15 million a year. You can pay for a %&^# bagel."

Comment

• David
              • Sep 2024

Actually, the episode sounds like a plot from Seinfeld. George discovers he resembles the President of Dairy Queen and goes around New York getting fat on Mister Twisters.

Comment

• chakes89
                • May 2006

Originally posted by spartakid
                I'm with Chakes, I want a picture! He must really look like him if he fooled all those people.
                Not necessarily

Don't forget that there are a lot of stupid people out there

Comment

• chakes89
                  • May 2006

This is probably one of my favorite threads ever because while looking for a funny picture of Joba to post I ran across the following image and it made me forget what I was doing:

Still not entirely sure how that came up under a google images search for Joba Chamberlain but Im not complaining

Have a nice Thursday everyone

(Refer to my signature if you have a problem with that link or this post)

Comment

• yanks12025
                    • Jan 2006

I don't think Joba makes 15 million. And also what this guy did was fraud.

Comment

• Vintagedeputy
                      • Oct 2005

The guy should be arrested - what he did was a crime.

The same thing happened to Yankee Dan Pasqua in 1987.

Comment

• godwulf
                        • Aug 2007

Whether it will be found to be a crime, or even a misdemeanor, will very much depend on the value of what the man gained by his deception, and exactly what he said to those he scammed. Most offenses like fraud and theft are defined in the law by very specific elements, all of which must be met before the charge can even be made. If it turns out that this guy only scored some free bagels and coffee, and maybe some drinks, all of which he later went back and paid for, I think the judicial system has slightly more important things with which to contend, and better ways to spend its time.
                        Jeff
                        godwulf1@cox.net

Comment

• Vintagedeputy
                          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by godwulf
                          Whether it will be found to be a crime, or even a misdemeanor, will very much depend on the value of what the man gained by his deception, and exactly what he said to those he scammed. Most offenses like fraud and theft are defined in the law by very specific elements, all of which must be met before the charge can even be made. If it turns out that this guy only scored some free bagels and coffee, and maybe some drinks, all of which he later went back and paid for, I think the judicial system has slightly more important things with which to contend, and better ways to spend its time.

A crime is a crime. Do we really want the judicial system to decide which ones are a waste of their time? There's a reason that the law is on the books.

There was a kid in California? this week that was charged with larceny in his high school for stealing $1.00 worth of brownies from the cafeteria. Should we brush it off as "its only a dollar" and wait until he's 20 and commits armed robbery before we punish him?

I'm one who believes that a heavy hand in punishment is the greatest deterrent to crime. When someone who is 18 commits a larceny and is given probation or community service, it really does nothing to prevent recidivism. Put the kid in jail for a month and watch his tune change - I speak from experience.

Comment

• JETEFAN
                            • Dec 2005

Found a picture of the Jaba impersonator trying to score free bagels, reports confirm he was signing the bagels "Game Used"!!!!!!
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Vintagedeputy
                              • Oct 2005

Originally posted by JETEFAN
                              Found a picture of the Jaba impersonator trying to score free bagels, reports confirm he was signing the bagels "Game Used"!!!!!!

Funny!

When I was a kid, I attended a Yankee game and distinctly remember a big guy with a HUGE bag of bagels. He was throwing them off the upper deck. Maybe it was the same guy?

Comment

Working...