PDA

View Full Version : Gino Cappaletti 1960 Helmet??

NEFAN
01-21-2009, 10:53 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=250361131047

Anybody have thoughts on this one? I asked for pictures of the webbing and maybe some better lighting, no response.

I talked with the curator of the Patriots museum. he is suspicious, mainly becuse of the lack of wear, but also the only 1960 helmet he has is a Spaulding worn by Jim Nance. I know players wear different helmets now, but this was a low budget team.

Any thoughts?

1986&2004Bosox
01-21-2009, 11:38 PM
With out more pics I would be cautious. The person says they don't send photos to picture collectors? One side view, no back view, no interior view? I dont know might be great but need more info.

1986&2004Bosox
01-22-2009, 01:11 AM
Maybe this does not mean anything but look at the guys feedback 2 of his recent purchases have been Old Blank Helmets. Maybe it does not mean anything maybe it does. I just find it very strange that he wont send more pics. And his overall tone in the listing is not friendly. Take it for what it's worth.

cohibasmoker
01-22-2009, 05:07 PM
Hi - I would be interested in seeing what the top of the helmet looks like - in particular, the airhole. I sent the seller this request. If he answers, I'll let everyone know.

Before I bid, could you either send me a scan or post a scan of the top of the helmet? I am interested to see the shape of the airhole on the top of the helmet. Thanks

Jim

WHAlers
01-22-2009, 09:05 PM
Here are a few photos that might help. Compare the eBay offered helmet to these photos of actual Patriots 1960's helmets. Notice that the white border accent line along the top of the Patriots hat decal appear not to be the same lenght on the eBAy helmet as on the actual game worn helmets. Also note the placement of the rivits near the single bar facemask on the eBay helmet vs the actual single bar game used helmet. Lastly it appears that the deacal on the actual game used helmet is slightly narrower from top to bottom than the eBay helmet. There may be some other differences but these 3 caught my eye.

cohibasmoker
01-22-2009, 09:27 PM
Hi - I would be interested in seeing what the top of the helmet looks like - in particular, the airhole. I sent the seller this request. If he answers, I'll let everyone know.

Before I bid, could you either send me a scan or post a scan of the top of the helmet? I am interested to see the shape of the airhole on the top of the helmet. Thanks

Jim

I just got a reply from the seller. Here it is:

hello Jim, it was not a helmet lamp. the helmet lamps are the riddell tk style helmets, not the rt-2 rk style helmets. this has the flared ears. and yes it does have the suspension.the helmet lamps have a big hole on top I have many of those. this does not. there are 6 holes not 32. i am sorry, I did not even want to post the picture I did. I am afraid that someone is going to use this helmet as a reference to do a reproduction and then make mine worthless if I don't sell it and then someone put a fake in a big auction house. no one has a good picture of this helmet. I was trying to be scared by the new england patriots curator into saying he has the only 1960 helmet and it is a spaulding, they did not use riddell. then he tells me he was just trying to fill me out or something and then says the patriots do not even have a 60's helmet. i am sorry, but too many idiots in this business and waiting to cash in on something. I OFFER TO ANYONE WHO WANT TO COME HERE AND SEE THE HELMET. BRING CASH AND NO PHOTOS. AFTER I GET A FAIR PRICE THEY CAN POST THE PICS ON THE WORLD WIDE WEB AND WEEP. THANK YOU & GOD BLESS, TONY
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
To:
Subject: Re: You've received a question about your eBay item, AFL 1960 New England Boston Patriots Suspension helmet
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 19:08:24 -0500

Hi - thanks for getting back to me. I ask because I want to be sure that this helmet wasn't a helmet lamp at one time. While I have your ear, how many air-holes are there? Is the suspension webbing still intact? Is the helmet a Riddell Kra Lite helmet? And finally, could a scan of the top of the helmet either sent to me or added to the auction? It would be very helpful. Thanks.

It seems like a very nice helmet but before I bid, I'd like to know exactly what I am bidding on.

Thanks,

Jim

----- Original Message -----
To:
Sent: Thursday, January 22, 2009 5:49 PM
Subject: RE: You've received a question about your eBay item, AFL 1960 New England Boston Patriots Suspension helmet

shape of the airhole? they are round and there is more than one! what are you talking about?

NEFAN
01-22-2009, 09:41 PM
Once I figured out who this guy is, I know of him and have spoken to him on the phone in the past. I don't beleive he is purposely trying to rip anybody off, he believes it is legit. He told me a story about a disgruntled employee stealing it and hiding it away for years before selling it to a collector. The seller is a bit eccentric and paranoid, but not a bad guy.

The original equipment manager ended up disgruntled because he was fired, but that was well after 1960. Gino was a defensive player and kicker in 1960, he did not move to wide receiver until 1961. The supposed thief would have had no idea he was going to be so big.

As for the Curator from the Pats, I know him personally and was the one who contacted him about this helmet. He came to the Patriots from the NFL Hall of Fame and he knows his stuff. The Patriots have Jim Nance's original uniform to include the helmet from 1960. and that is the only known helmet left in existance.

He is going to talk to Gino personally and see if he remembers having his helmet stolen during the season as this guy claims. In those days, players didn't have spares laying around. So chances are he'll remember.

ihad_enough
01-22-2009, 09:57 PM
Description (revised (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemRevisionDetails&item=250361131047)) http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/s.gif http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/s.gifhttp://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/s.gifHere is an great looking vintage helmet. The Boston Patriots came into the AFL in 1960, and wore this style helmet only for that season. This helmet is not one of those new reproductions they come out with a few years ago. This helmet is an off white with multi layered decals, also has the # 20 on single layer vinyl, 2 painted on red stripes flanking the off white center stripe. The player that wore #20 in 1960 was Gino Cappelletti. It has a Riddell single bar facemask. I WILL NOT TAKE PAYPAL ON A HIGH PRICED ITEM LIKE THIS, PERIOD! DON'T ASK! email me for any questions. Also, I do not send pictures to picture collectors. SERIOUS INTERESTED PEOPLE ONLY ASK SERIOUS QUESTIONS. always interested in trades! what do you have? ALL SALES FINAL, PERIOD. IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE WAY IT LOOKS, DON'T BID!!!!
Cappelletti spent his 11-year career with the Patriots, from 1960-70 as one of the original members of the squad ... A five-time AFL All-Star selection ... One of only three players to play in every game in the AFL's 10-year history ... Led the AFL in scoring five times ... Holds two of the top five scoring seasons in NFL history with 155 points in 1964 and 147 points in 1961 ... Ranks as the Patriots all-time leading scorer with 1,130 points (42 touchdowns, 176 field goals and 342 PATs ... Holds the Patriots record for extra points attempted (353), made (342), field goals attempted (334) and ranks second in field goals made (176) ... Is currently sixth on the Patriots all-time receiving list with 292 catches for 4,589 yards ... Had his #20 jersey permanently retired by the Patriots ... Selected as a member of the All-AFL 10 Year Anniversary Team in 1971 ... Named to the Patriots 35th Anniversary Team in 1994 ... Named to the Patriots Team of the Century in 2000 at both the wide receiver and kicker position ... Is currently the Patriots color analyst on WBCN's Patriots Rock Radio Network.
Gino Cappelletti

Gino Raymond Michael Cappelletti
The winner of this auction will recieve my scrapbook of pictures of players for the past 85 years from teams in the AFL American Football League, NFL National Football League, USFL United States Football League, and the WFL World Football League teams such as the Atlanta Falcons, Indianapolis Colts, Indianapolis Colts, Buffalo Bills, Chicago Cardinals, Chicago Bears, Cincinnati Bengals, Cleveland Rams, Cleveland Browns, Dallas Texans, Dallas Cowboys, Denver Broncos, Detroit Lions, Green Bay Packers, Houston Oilers, Kansas City Chiefs, Los Angeles Rams, Miami Dolphins, Minnesota Vikings, New England Patriots, New Orleans Saints, New York Giants, New York Jets, Oakland Raiders, Los Angeles Raiders, Philadelphia Eagles, Pittsburgh Steelers, St. Louis Cardinals, Phoenix Cardinals, Los Angeles Chargers, San Diego Chargers, San Francisco 49ers, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Baltimore Ravens, Tennessee Titans, Jacksonville Jaguars, Houston Texans, Seattle Seahawks, Carolina Panthers, and Washington Redskins. Some of the college teams are National champion teams such as Florida Gators, LSU Tigers, Notre Dame Fighting Irish, USC Trojans, Penn State Nittanny Lions, Alabama Crimson Tide, Ohio State Buckeyes, UCLA Bruins, Michigan Wolverines, University of Pittsburgh PITT Panthers. The USFL United States Football League teams are the SAN ANTONIO GUNSLINGERS, MICHIGAN PANTHERS, BIRMINGHAM STALLIONS, CHICAGO BLITZ, LOS ANGELES EXPRESS, WASHINGTON FEDERALS, TAMPA BAY BANDITS, HOUSTON GAMBLERS, NEW JERSEY GENERALS, JACKSONVILLE BULLS, ARIZONA WRANGLERS, MEMPHIS SHOWBOATS, PHILADELPHIA / BALTIMORE STARS, OAKLAND INVADERS, BOSTON / NEW ORLEANS / PORTLAND BREAKERS, DENVER GOLD, ORLANDO RENEGADES, OKLAHOMA / ARIZONA OUTLAWS, PITTSBURGH MAULERS, The players in this scrapbook are players such as Dan Marino, Joe Montana, Brett Favre, Steve Young, Jerry Rice, Rod Woodson, Deion Sanders, Emmitt Smith, Archie Manning, Peyton Manning, Eli Manning, Larry Fitzgerald, Johnny Unitas, Sammy Baugh, Marcus Allen, Chuck Bednarik, George Blanda, Raymond Berry, Mel Blount, Earl Campbell, Len Dawson, Larry Csonka, Fred Biletnikoff, Eric Dickerson, Mike Ditka, Tony Dorsett, Dan Fouts, Frank Gifford, Otto Graham, Jack Ham, Bob Griese, Franco Harris, John Hannah, Ted Hendricks, Paul Horning, Elroy Hirsh, Sam Huff, John Henry Johnson, Deacon Jones, Jim Kelly, Charlie Joiner, Jack Lambert, Steve Largent, Yale Lary, Bobby Layne, Ronnie Lott, John Mackey, Gino Marchetti, Don Maynard, Tommy McDonald, Hugh McElhenny, Bobby Mitchell, Lenny Moore, Joe Namath, Ray Nitschke, Leo Nomellini, Alan Page, Carl Eller, Walter Payton, John Riggins, Gale Sayers, Joe Schmidt, John Stallworth, Bart Starr, Roger Staubach, Ernie Stautner, Lynn Swann, Fran Tarkenton, Jim Taylor, Lawrence Taylor, Y.A. Tittle, Norm Van Brocklin, Steve Van Buren, Doak Walker, Paul Warfield, Mike Webster, Randy White, Kellen Winslow, Ron Yary, Jack Youngblood, and a few photos of the Steel Curtain, Front Four, Purple People Eaters, Doomsday Defense, Orange Crush, and the Fearsome Foursome. The scrapbook is great because you can see all the different style helmets these players used throughout the years. You can see them wearing old vintage suspension helmets made by Riddell, Wilson, Rawlings HND-9 and JRC suspension helmets, Rawlings RTS suspension helmet and the very RARE Rawlings Ridge HND-9, Adams, Schutt, Bike, clear shell Macgregor, clear shell Maxpro, Medalist Gladiator. And Riddell RT-2 suspension helmet, Riddell RK-4 suspension helmet , Riddell RK-2 suspension helmet, Riddell TK-5 suspension helmet , Riddell TK-2 suspension helmet, Riddell TAK-29 suspension helmet , Riddell HA-91, Riddell HA-92, Riddell Pac-3, Riddell WD-1, Riddell AF2, Riddell VSR-1, Riddell VSR-2, Riddell VSR-3, and current Proline Riddell VSR-4. Also a scrapbook that covers the Super Bowl MVP (s) from SB 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20 ,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,3 7,38,39,40,41,42. and 43

On Jan-22-09 at 18:57:21 PST, seller added the following information:
Some know it all on the forum speaks out of both sides of his azz. In one breath he says
"Here are a few photos that might help. Compare the eBay offered helmet to these photos of actual Patriots 1960's helmets. Notice that the white border accent line along the top of the Patriots hat decal appear not to be the same lenght on the eBAy helmet as on the actual game worn helmets. Also note the placement of the rivits near the single bar facemask on the eBay helmet vs the actual single bar game used helmet. Lastly it appears that the deacal on the actual game used helmet is slightly narrower from top to bottom than the eBay helmet. There may be some other differences but these 3 caught my eye." Now I say to him! STUPID. Look at the #11, it is touching the bottom part of the earhole and the hat decal, which brings the hat decal closer to the rivits. ALSO, you are able to bring the hat decal closer to the earhole if you have a #11 on a helmet instead of a # 20, because the #20 is wider. Ever think of that STUPID! This decal is 100% dead on in size and shape. I hope you don't work fro CSI, or they should fire you. Before you knock someones item, do a little more accurate research. I have listed both helmets to show what he is using as a reference. Maybe he wants to bid on it and fool all you into thinking he knows what he is talking about.

beantown
01-22-2009, 09:58 PM
Here are a few photos that might help. Compare the eBay offered helmet to these photos of actual Patriots 1960's helmets. Notice that the white border accent line along the top of the Patriots hat decal appear not to be the same lenght on the eBAy helmet as on the actual game worn helmets. Also note the placement of the rivits near the single bar facemask on the eBay helmet vs the actual single bar game used helmet. Lastly it appears that the deacal on the actual game used helmet is slightly narrower from top to bottom than the eBay helmet. There may be some other differences but these 3 caught my eye.

If you compare the eBay helmet to the photo of the #83 helmet, everything seems to line up correctly. The #11 helmet has its number placed very low, which causes the Patriots helmet to sit lower, hence it doesn’t line up with the rivets the way it does on the eBay helmet and the #83 helmet. Also, the white border accent on the #83 helmet, which is slightly turned up on the end we can see, would match the eBay helmet if unfolded….just my two cents….:)

mvandor
01-22-2009, 10:11 PM
I can't speak to legitimacy, but the seller's demeanor and comportment, small feedback history, and poor language tell me I wouldn't buy a pack of gum from him, let alone a supposed NFL relic.

1986&2004Bosox
01-22-2009, 10:15 PM
neefan drop me an email ejsamm@yahoo.com

1986&2004Bosox
01-22-2009, 10:37 PM
The Patriots wore 3 different style helmets in 1960 season

Hat Logo No Numbers Pre Season
Hat Logo Blue Numbers First Few Games
Hat Logo Red Numbers Remainder of the season

The problem with black and white photos is you cant tell what color the numbers are. Logo placement could of changed with different changes but you would need to dig thru a 61 Patriots Yearbook or 1960 programs and Boston Record American or Herald Traveler Archives to be certain. The logo is different as far as length of the White outline in the two non Cappelletti photos the white ends about 1/4 inch from end of the logo, in the Cappelletti photo it extends all the way to the end. The top border on # 11 & # 83 is wider than the border on the Cappelletti. It could be that the # 11 & # 83 are the Blue early season #'s and that the logos were changed out when the red #'s were put in place??????????? I am not defending the helmet or attacking the helmet. Much more research is needed to determin what we are looking at.

WHAlers
01-22-2009, 11:44 PM
To Mr. I had enough:

Sir, if you would take the time to re-read my post which you so readily bashed, I think you will find that I made no mention or voiced no concern over any number placement on the helmet. The white border that I refer to is the white line along the top of the hat decal. The amount of blue space that can be seen between the tip of the white line and the edge of the decal does not appear to be the same on your photo vs the actual game worn helmet.

Also, I never voice an opinion on your offered item being real or not real. I only supplied photo documentation to the members of this forum who have raised question about this item that you offer. My intent is to help fellow forum members in their attempt to make an educated decision, whether or not they decide to bid on this item.

Information is power and we all try to help each other so that someone does not made a bad decision based on a lack of information that is available to them. This hobby is a most enjoyable one and it can be an expensive one. It would be sad to see someone spend their hard earned money on an item that they are unsure of and later "may" reget making the transaction, be it your item or any other expensive piece of memorabilia in this great hobby of ours.

If you would like to assist the potential bidders on your item by providing the additional information and photos that they have requested it most likely would benifit you with your sale and them with their purchase in the end. Your choice to not supply additional photo documentation of such a rare and potentialy high priced item only leads to more speculation why that is. I understand that this is your right and your choice as a seller. However it is my right and everyone else's right as participants in this game worn forum to assist each other with information that may help them.

Lastly, let me answer the question that you posed in your posting by clearly and confidently stating that I have no intention what so ever of bidding on this item. However I will you the best of luck with your auction.

b.heagy
01-23-2009, 08:09 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-ENGLAND-PATRIOTS-Suspension-RK-Football-Helmet-60_W0QQitemZ260204082284QQihZ016QQcategoryZ83171QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

NEFAN
01-27-2009, 07:05 PM
The bid is over $4700!

nealdevelopment@yahoo.com
01-27-2009, 09:30 PM
Look at the logo on the side of the helmets. On the helmet on display the white and the blue wing go right into the corner to a point. Look closely at the real helmets in the pictures. The white part of the wing does not go into the point of the blue part. I stops back a bit. ????????
Also the rivets around the single bar mask on the pictures are spread out differently than the helmet on display.

NEFAN
01-27-2009, 09:46 PM
Unfortunately, eBay is full of uninformed bidders. The poor guy doesn't know what he is sinking his hard earned money in to. The Problem with eBay is they don't care if someone gets ripped off as long as they get their money.

helmets
01-27-2009, 09:47 PM
Ebay whacked this listing.
Gone.

NEFAN
01-28-2009, 10:02 AM
I saw the bid was up to $4700 when eBay ended your item. I'm sure you could have sold it for more that twice that if it were legit and you weren't such a hard person to deal with. I've been collecting and selling sports memorabilia for years and have learned alot from peoples inquiries. There have been several times when I listed items for someone that turned out to be bogus. I learned this from people asking the same kinds of questions they asked you. when someone want more pictures I sent them and not once was a fake reproduced from my photo's. When I found out an item was questionable I either changed the auction or removed it and returned the item. This only helped my rep, not hurt it.

I know you have had alot of genuine helmets, but quite frankly, I'd rather pass on a personal grail item then deal with someone who acts in this way.

I hope this was a learning experience for you in a good way.

Kevin

ChrisCavalier
01-28-2009, 10:52 AM
We deleted a number of posts on this thread earlier today. If you are going to continue to post on this thread please make sure it is consistent with the forum rules. In particular:

No Personal Attacks. Do not harass, belittle, threaten or “flame” another member. Do not call other members names, even in jest. You may dispute opinions and facts, but do so with facts and not by taking it to a personal level. This forum is intended to operate in a positive environment. Please help us achieve that goal.

Any violations will result in suspensions. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

NEFAN
01-28-2009, 12:35 PM
That's fine Chris, this guy has resorted to sending me nasty emails filled with profanity and threats. I was going to post it here but will not. I have blocked his emails and hopefully will not have to deal with him again.

seven4five20
01-28-2009, 05:17 PM
The completely obvious thing was that the numbers and decals look like they were produced and placed on the helmet yesterday. Also, there must be a reason why there is a towel stuffed into the helmet to shield us from seeing the inside.

1986&2004Bosox
01-28-2009, 05:41 PM
Look at the auctions this guy has won on EBAY recently ALL BLANK HELMETS. Is it me or does this Raise alot of ????

aeneas01
01-29-2009, 09:54 AM
some thoughts:

1. more photos of the ebay helmet would be required in order to form a persuasive opinion.

2. as far as riddell's basic helmet models are concerned, they were introduced in the following order: rt2 ('46)*, rk4 ('54), tk5 ('55), rk2 ('61) and tk2 ('62). the ebay helmet is clearly an rk4 ('54) or an rk2 ('61). if it's an rk2 helmet (which can be determined by looking at the type of suspension unit it's fitted with), then i don't see how it can be an authentic 1960 pats helmet given the rt2 helmet didn't hit the market until 1961. in short, the ebay helmet would have to be an rk4 in order for it to be a 1960s pats gamer.

3. although the seller is obviously familiar with riddell helmet model styles, he fails to mention which model this helmet is in both his ebay ad and his email correspondence. further, he offers a photograph in his ebay ad that cearly hides the type of suspension unit the helmet is fitted with. i find this very suspicious.

4. while it's true the ebay helmet appears to be in a condition that would not be consistent with game wear or the helmet's age, i have handled authentic gamers from this era that have been unbelievably pristine. in other words, the condition of the helmet would not necessarily disqualify it as authentic imo.

5. despite what the seller states, the "hat" decal visible in the photo he provided is not "spot on". it's very close but varies from game photos as already mentioned. also, reproduction thin mil vintage decals are becoming more and more common as are vintage thin mil multi-layered decals. not too long ago vintage reproduction decals were made of the same vinyl as reproduction modern decals, made of the same thick mil vinyl - this, of course, was a red flag. but now it's not uncommon to see "authentic style" (thin mil) reproduction vintage decals. so just because a vintage lid is fitted with what appears to be vintage thin mil decals (or even thin mil multi-layered decals), it doesn't mean that these decals are not reproductions. but i will say this - 30-50 years has a way of changing the composition, look and feel of authentic vintage decals, something that is usually quite evident when inspecting a vintage lid in person.

6. the seller's terms, not to mention his demeanor, are absolutely ludicrous. to state that you will not provide an interested party with additional photos yet expect to be paid a large sum of non-refundable cash is nothing short of comical. equally comical is the seller's excuse for not wanting to provide additional photos.

7. years ago i corresponded with this seller and, if memory serves me correctly, our exchanges were not pleasant. i checked my email archives but i i've apparently not maintained emails from that far back. interestingly though, i did come across two very old emails from a couple of other helmet guys i corresponded with back in the day, a couple of guys that mentioned this ebayer in their emails to me by referring to him as "the guy named tony that ends his emails with god bless" - both of these mails confirmed what i remembered about my interaction with this ebayer - in short, both of these guys had nothing good to say about this ebayer. fwiw, it appears that he has changed his ebay name since the last time i corresponded with him.

8. could this be a very rare boston patriots lid from 1960? anything is possible. but i would certainly want a much, much closer look before i even thought about reaching for my wallet.

aeneas01
02-02-2009, 10:17 PM
so here's the deal on the cappelletti helmet - it's a fake. no doubt about it. someone whose opinion i respect very much recently sent me an email in response to this thread and confirmed what we all suspected: that the seller's suspicious behavior and unruly demeanor pointed to trouble. the person i corresponded with also gave me some background on the lid as well as some background on the seller. as it turns out, the seller is indeed the same guy i exchanged emails with some time ago.

he makes a habit of regularly trying to pass off reproductions as authentic gamers. and he's not limited to football helmets - he's also responsible for fake football jerseys that have made the rounds at well known auction houses, jerseys which have been discussed here.

he has changed his ebay identity often yet continues to include the same "god bless" nonsense when he corresponds via email. this shameless ploy lasts only as long as it takes to con a seller or a buyer; once the jig is up and he is revealed for what he is, a common crook, the "god bless" sentiments are quickly replaced with f-bombs and threats.

back to the helmet - the person i spoke with immediately noticed that the "hat" decal on the seller's helmet was an exact copy of the "helmet hut" reproduction decals as far as shape, size and design are concerned. he also pointed out that the patriots only used a single layer decal in 1960 - the white line that forms the brim of the "hat" was actually the white shell of the helmet. the seller, not up to speed on this fact, proudly claimed in his lot description that the "hat" decal on his helmet was of the vintage two-piece variety - the white "brim" of the seller's reproduction decal is actually a white decal strip laid on top of the blue "hat".

not only does he engage in selling fakes as authentic, but he regularly contacts unsuspecting ebay sellers in an effort to low-ball them on their listed items. currently there is a beautiful vintage cleveland browns helmet listed on ebay - fortunately for the seller, he did not give into the offers including an approach by this person:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=110344172814

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y238/aeneas1/tr-1.jpg

fwiw, i will be reporting his activities to the fbi in the morning.

NEFAN
02-02-2009, 11:04 PM
AMEN!! He strung me along on a couple of deals for months, probably while he was building a gamer for me. Luckily I spent my money elswhere rather than wait. I can't blieve I fell for the God Bless lines.

helmets
02-03-2009, 07:07 AM
Great Work Robert. I just wanted to tell you that, and to send this thread back up to the top for others to be aware of. The more people that are aware of the seller's methods, the better off the hobby will be. I believe his latest ebay user name was "ihadenough" which was registered almost 8 years ago, yet does not have any feedback. This alone should be suspect. Eight years ago, it was very easy to register many different ebay user names under one person or different people without providing any documentation. This appears to be just one other name that he registered. I have had dealings with him over the years and have refused to sell to him after I found out what I suspected he was doing.

nyjetsfan14
02-03-2009, 09:17 AM
[quote=aeneas01;121424]...yet continues to include the same "god bless" nonsense when he corresponds via email.[quote]

I occasionally use a sincere "God Bless" when ending correspondence to family, friends, and acquaintances and while I understand it isn't en vogue anymore I don't necessarily think it is nonsense. It is the person not the words.

NEFAN
02-03-2009, 02:08 PM
I just received a threatening phone call from this crook. He wasn't even smart enough to block his number. I'm calling the cops.

Mr.3000
02-03-2009, 02:27 PM
I just received a threatening phone call from this crook. He wasn't even smart enough to block his number. I'm calling the cops.

Please do. Make sure you press charges for terroristic threats, if he made actual threats. People like him need to face the music of their own actions.

NEFAN
02-03-2009, 02:39 PM
State Trooper is on his way over. The best part is this guy crossed a state line to make the call, that brings in the feds. I'll keep you posted.

Mr.3000
02-03-2009, 02:43 PM
State Trooper is on his way over. The best part is this guy crossed a state line to make the call, that brings in the feds. I'll keep you posted.

Sounds like you live in a state, as do I, that takes matters like this seriously. Glad to hear that.

When you get a chance drop me an email.

aeneas01
02-03-2009, 07:44 PM
I occasionally use a sincere "God Bless" when ending correspondence to family, friends, and acquaintances and while I understand it isn't en vogue anymore I don't necessarily think it is nonsense. It is the person not the words.

i don't believe that using the phrase "god bless" is out of vogue nor do i believe that using it is "nonsense". what i do believe is "nonsense" (and utterly shameless for that matter) is referencing god in order to pitch a scam - which is exactly what this crook does time and again. it's his m.o. - hence my comment.

as far as this particular ebayer is concerned, you have to wonder what compels him to believe that abusive language and threats is the best way to respond to the well-documented accusations. i mean does he really believe that such a tactic would cause the collecting community to run for the hills and never dare to question his bogus listings again?

having been caught with his hand in the proverbial cookie jar, you would think this guy would simply ignore the accusations and quietly go about his business of floating fakes in the hope that he might continue to fly under the radar. or you would think he would respond to accusations in a civil manner while feigning innocence and naivete. but not this guy - he seems to believe that the best course of action is to show his true colors at a collector's forum that sports memorabilia auction houses, sports memorabilia dealers and collectors frequent daily. and then follow up this performance by contacting individual collectors with an encore. pure genius.

aeneas01
02-03-2009, 07:47 PM

well done nefan. i've contacted the authorities as well. simply amazing how some out there still believe that the internet equates to a potter-like cloak of invisibility...

TriplexXxSports
02-03-2009, 08:29 PM
In reading through all of this, it is just a shame. People are willing to ruin a hobby that so many of us love for the guilty pleasure of money. I believe there is a word for that: GREED! I hope that this guy gets all he deserves. This type of behavior just sickens me, as I'm sure it does to most of you.

Best of luck to those of he who have to deal with this guy.

ivo610
04-02-2010, 11:07 AM
Any update on this? Is the guy still selling bogus stuff? Any arrest ever made?

NEFAN
04-04-2010, 08:29 AM
I am deployed to Iraq so I haven't heard what the State Police have done. He did try to sell a Bogus Bruschi Jersey a while back, but it was such an obvious fraud, nobody bid on it. This loser will keep trying until caught though