Worst butchering of Mark McGwire's name... ever.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TNTtoys
    • Aug 2006

Worst butchering of Mark McGwire's name... ever.

Enjoy... just don't try to pronounce.

Looking for ...
    Any Game Used Mets jerseys from 1986 and 1987
    Any Keith Hernandez, Ron Darling, Lee Mazzilli and John Olerud Mets items
    Email me at TNT_Toys@yahoo.com
  • frikativ54
    • Dec 2007

Re: Worst butchering of Mark McGwire's name... ever.

A simple email to the seller letting him/her know it's "McGwire" would suffice.
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

Comment

• spartakid
      • Oct 2008

Les, you have to admit that's hilarious, who doesn't know Mark McGwire, he's one of the most widely known players, not to mention a ten second google search would tell you how to spell it. That's just laziness.
      Ricardo Montoya

ri.montoya at yahoo dot com

Comment

• frikativ54
        • Dec 2007

Originally posted by spartakid
        Les, you have to admit that's hilarious, who doesn't know Mark McGwire, he's one of the most widely known players, not to mention a ten second google search would tell you how to spell it. That's just laziness.
        What if the person's dyslexic? What if the person's expertise is in sewing? One of the biggest things people should learn is that not everyone follows the same things that you do; other people have other priorities. So - I wouldn't call that person lazy.
        Les Zukor
        bagwellgameused@gmail.com
        Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
        (617) 682-0408

Comment

• Bobby Jenks
          • Dec 2008

Reminds me of the time I saw an "Ihciro" Jersey.

Comment

• whatupyos
            Banned
            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by frikativ54
            What if the person's dyslexic? What if the person's expertise is in sewing? One of the biggest things people should learn is that not everyone follows the same things that you do; other people have other priorities. So - I wouldn't call that person lazy.

Oh please!

Comment

• TNTtoys
              • Aug 2006

A simple email to the seller letting him/her know it's "McGwire" would suffice.
              Lighten up please. I am just having a little fun. I do not believe this seller for one minute has a disability. I think it's laziness... If you're selling sports jerseys, you should know Kordell Stewart has 2 L's not 1, Carmelo Anthony has 1 L, not 2, Emmitt Smith has 2 T's not 1. McGwire's spelling was just ridiculous. Have you never chuckled at an ebay listing before?
              Looking for ...

Comment

• spartakid
                • Oct 2008

Well, I can't say for sure, but I don't think the person has a disbaility becuase the rest of the listing has no mistakes and includes well-written vocabulary. I just think that if I were selling something on ebay that I'm not an expert on, which I've done before, I would do some basic research for the title and discription. The person doesn't have to be incredibly knowledgable to do that much. If this person does indeed have a disability then this is understandable and no insult intended.
                Ricardo Montoya

Comment

• spartakid
                  • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Bobby Jenks
                  Reminds me of the time I saw an "Ihciro" Jersey.
                  That could just be a typo, it's not as butchered as that McGwire listing. BTW, I just asked my sister, who knows absolutely NOTHING about baseball or sports for that matter, to spell McGwire's las name and she did so correctly.
                  Ricardo Montoya

Comment

• dcrules01
                    • Nov 2005

Let's just say I have purchased a few authentic Emitt Smith jerseys or Emmit Smith jerseys over the years on ebay
                    Looking for Doug Flynn and Joel Youngblood items.NY Mets jerseys 78-82

Thanks Scott dcrules01@msn.com

Comment

• dcrules01
                      • Nov 2005

BTW it's Emmitt Smith also
                      Looking for Doug Flynn and Joel Youngblood items.NY Mets jerseys 78-82

Thanks Scott dcrules01@msn.com

Comment

• Bobby Jenks
                        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by spartakid
                        That could just be a typo, it's not as butchered as that McGwire listing. BTW, I just asked my sister, who knows absolutely NOTHING about baseball or sports for that matter, to spell McGwire's las name and she did so correctly.
                        NO!! That was on the nameplate. Probably one of the error jerseys they sell for 50% price.

Comment

• TNTtoys
                          • Aug 2006

Originally posted by Bobby Jenks
                          NO!! That was on the nameplate. Probably one of the error jerseys they sell for 50% price.
                          I have had a couple of error jerseys, but found out that there really is no market for them (like error cards) because anyone can go to the local customizer and ask for a purposely mispelled name on the back. FYI, I had a Seattle Mariners "GRIFFEFY" jersey (extra "F") and a Cardinals McGuire jersey (U instead of W). Neither sold for more than $50 to my recollection. This is probably going back a good 10 years or so.

I also get a laugh from ebay sellers that misspell the player's last name when it's right there on the actual jersey that they are selling and have just photographed. If that's not the epitome of laziness, I don't know what is.
                          Looking for ...

Comment

• TNTtoys
                            • Aug 2006

BUT...for every rule, there is the exception. Imagine what this bad boy would sell for in an auction if it were to surface... (though rumor/legend has it that the club destroyed it after the game)
                            Attached Files
                            Looking for ...

Comment

• allstarsplus
                              • Nov 2005

When I was trying to collect every Mark McGwire card and ticket stub from the 1998 season, I found some of the most common incorrect spellings of McGwire's name was Mark McQwire and Mark McGuire and Mark Maguire and Marc McGwire. Since these items often were bid on with the incorrect spelling, I wondered if people were finding these items by incorrectly putting the name in the "Search" function or purposely trying the other spellings as a strategy like I was.

I was putting together the Topps 70 HR set and the 70 HR ticket set so some of these would show up under the incorrect spellings and typically lower prices.

Just to test my theory today, look at all the items under McQwire and then think back to 1998 when there were 100's under this incorrect spelling:

Get the best deals for Mcqwire at eBay.com. We have a great online selection at the lowest prices with Fast & Free shipping on many items!
                              Regards,
                              Andrew Lang
                              AllstarsPlus@aol.com
                              202-716-8500

Comment

Working...