PDA

View Full Version : Ali signed item?

jrd
01-22-2009, 01:50 PM
Seems like not many people visit the Autographs section so I figured I'll post here for a little help. I have a chance to buy a cut signature display of Muhammad Ali and was wondering if anyone could give advice on the Auto. Real or Fake?

Thanks

Capital-Sports
01-22-2009, 03:54 PM
I would stay away from it. Ali has changed his autograph tons of times throughout the years and that one it off. Just my opinion though

bigtruck260
01-22-2009, 09:42 PM
Here is the deal...

I am a boxing enthusiast - even run a website for local boxing here in STL. I was looking for a nice Ali signed piece that wouldn't cost me a grand. In doing my research, I learned that Ali not only uses an autopen frequently, he also is one of the most forged athletes in the hobby.

If you are buying a cut like this, I would check on a couple of things...
First, look around to make sure that this image does not match exactly with other images on eBay, etc. an autopen is loaded with a sig matrix that makes a perfect 'autograph' on anything...(I doubt this is an autopen, just being extra thorough)

Second, try to find examples of the Chuck Wepner (former boxer) forgeries. Chuck once fought Ali, and used that as credibility to sell Ali's autograph. He got busted a few years back and if he didn't serve time, he paid some gargantuan legal fees and fines.

Depending on the price, you might want to ask the seller to send it to not one, but TWO other autograph guys like PSA and JSA to look it over. If they both say it's a fake - it probably is. I never reccommend these guys, but in some cases, it can't hurt to have a second or third opinion. An Ali sig is an heirloom.

Finally - use your gut. Do you trust the seller? Is the price reasonable, but not TOO reasonable?

YOu probably already know this stuff, but I figure if there are new guys collecting, it never hurts to give all the details.

Good luck!

Jake51
01-22-2009, 10:23 PM
Hi,

For what it is worth, here Ali's autograph that I obtained in person about 10 years ago.

Fun part of this story for me, as he was signing I paid him some compliment and as if coming out of a trance, he stood up with wide eyes, bit his lip and pretended to deck me with an upper cut. Truly amazing experience. I laughed and said 'wow' or something and then he went right back to being quiet.

Anyway, here you go.

Thanks,

Tom

jrd
01-23-2009, 07:21 AM
Thaks for the info everyone. I emailed the seller looking for more info about the auto. He said it's cut from a photo that was damged but I'd like to know how it was obtained originally.

Anyone know the price range for an authentic Ali auto?

thanks again

mbrieve
01-23-2009, 10:46 AM
I would stay away, it looks off to me compared to the two authentic examples I have in my collection...

joelsabi
01-23-2009, 11:53 AM
Hi,

For what it is worth, here Ali's autograph that I obtained in person about 10 years ago.

Fun part of this story for me, as he was signing I paid him some compliment and as if coming out of a trance, he stood up with wide eyes, bit his lip and pretended to deck me with an upper cut. Truly amazing experience. I laughed and said 'wow' or something and then he went right back to being quiet.

Anyway, here you go.

Thanks,

Tom

I also meet Ali at a photo meet and greet at a card show and it was the kewlest experience I have had with an athlete and I meet ARod at this same card show so thats saying something.

i would stay away. there are so many others autographs that are better documented and the autograph is on a photo instead of a cut. imho. its better not to go cheap on his sig. as mentioned he is a good candidate for forgeries. Two autographs I would like are Cassius Clay and Lew Alcinder. I have yet to see a authentic one go up for auction.

David
01-23-2009, 02:54 PM
Ali did a good number of in-person, private signings, so it's not hard to find a known genuine Ali signature. I know Mounted Memories and Salvino (those statues) did private signings, and there may be a few other companies.