PDA

View Full Version : Cardinals fans - experts

b.heagy
01-24-2009, 08:20 PM
Sportsmans Park. Any idea what is on the flags ? National league teams? Minor league teams? anyone have a list that can help me with my research.

b.heagy
01-25-2009, 08:47 PM
Birdbats? Bigtruck ? Would greatly appreciate some help.

Birdbats
01-25-2009, 09:55 PM
Not a clue, Bill. Sorry.

arl423
01-26-2009, 05:20 PM
In the book Sportsman's Park The Players, The Fans & The Game by Dan O'Neill there is a picture page 37 of Stan Musial with these Flags in the Back Ground. They appear to be the National League Flags. I can make out Cincinnatti, St. Louis, Los Angeles. Picture in the book says its from 1963

Hope this helps.

Adam

b.heagy
01-26-2009, 05:28 PM
Adam,
Thank you for taking the time to respond. I recently bought a collection of vintage St. Louis Cardinals memorabilia. Included were some great Cardinals banners. Also included were 8 banners approx 4x10 feet. Savanah, Johnson City, Springfield, Gastonia, Louisville, Calgary, Hamilton, & Arkansas. I was told they were flown at Sportmans park. 3 have Civic Center written on them. Some are older than others. Trying to determine where they are from. Not all are the same style.

arl423
01-26-2009, 06:40 PM
Bill

I would say they are flags of the Cardinals farm teams. I can't find a list of all the farm teams from that era but at one time the Cardinals had 30+ farm teams. Civic Center may have something to do with the Civic Center Corporation who used to run Busch Stadium before A B took over.

Adam

Birdbats
01-26-2009, 07:05 PM
Bill,

I checked with the team's HOF/museum. Sportsman's flew the flags of both other MLB teams and Cardinals-affiliated farm teams. I don't know which flags are in the photo -- MLB or farm teams.

The examples the museum have measure 56" tall by 112" wide and look like pennants with a double-point.

Jeff

b.heagy
01-26-2009, 07:15 PM
Jeff,
Thank you, that is very helpful. I was told they were the minor league affiliates. I assume I can rule out the 3 with Civic Center written on them. Attached are pics of the banners. Just have to find out if these are the teams.

b.heagy
01-26-2009, 07:18 PM
Some more.

STLCardinalscollector
01-26-2009, 09:16 PM
Bill,
I had a flag a few years ago exactly like the green Louisville flag, it even had the sewn on extensions. I was told that they were on Busch II, and were farm teams, and other major league teams.
David

Birdbats
01-27-2009, 11:52 AM
The pennants from Busch I (Sportsman's Park) were made of a heavy canvas material. These look to be a more lightweight nylon material, consistent with Busch II. The minor league teams also are consistent with those during the Busch II era. And Adam is right on -- the Civic Center Corp. developed Busch II. In fact, in the 1970 yearbook, the stadium is called "Civic Center Busch Memorial Stadium." Given all the evidence, I'd bet your flags are from Busch II.

bigtruck260
01-27-2009, 12:55 PM
SOrry guys -IIam at the hospital with my wife and son...and new daughter. I had a canvas flag similar to the WELCOME flag about 5 years ago. I am trying to find photos. It came from Sullivan, MO - and from what I was told, was donated to the Oddfellows by Jim Bottomley...? I sold it to a collector in (I think) one of the Carolinas....I am excited to see another one. GREAT find.

b.heagy
01-27-2009, 01:27 PM
Jeff,
Very helpful information. The tagging on these is spread out from different time periods (at least three different styles) all from Banner Regalia Co.

Adam,
Great info as well. Helps narrow things down. Explains the different types of materials on some flags.

Bigtruck 260,
CONGRATS ! Daughters give you a different perspective. Good thing her Daddy is a bat collector - lol.

I greatly appreciate everyone's time and efforts to help me with this.

b.heagy
01-27-2009, 01:30 PM
David,
Thank you. Good to know my style is consistent with other known examples. I hit send too quick in my other post, did not want to leave you out.