PDA

View Full Version : What's everyone's thought on game issued bats?

brianborsch
01-25-2009, 11:26 AM
Hello all,

I have been thinking about this because I have been leaning this route for awhile now. I wanted to see what everyone's thought is on game issued bats.
I like the idea of collecting them because they are clean and are what they are. You typically don't have to worry about it being faked as there is no use on them. As long as they match factory records or player's requests, then you don't have to worry.
Now don't get me wrong, I like a bat with good use too, but with so much deception in the market, I almost want to stop collecting game used stuff because I always will be questioning things in the back of my mind. Of course this applies to bats with little to no provenance, but the bats with great provenance (like photo-matches, etc.) are expensive!
That's the other positive with game issued bats: They are typically cheaper!
Anyways, what are your thoughts?

BB

tigerdale
01-25-2009, 01:57 PM
I agree, sometimes that brand new louisville slugger, with just the right look...its beautiful!! In some cases, depending on the records, it may even be tougher to find the new/unused bat of a player.

godwulf
01-25-2009, 02:08 PM
I will go with a bat that has obviously never been used if the price is right and mostly only as a "filler" for the collection - you know, the way some guys who collect card sets will buy a cheap card in very bad condition till they can get one that's better.

Whenever I've gotten impatient and spent more for an "issued' bat than it was worth, I've regretted it. For instance, I paid $300 for an unused LS Justin Upton bat in '07, mainly because it had his '07 ST number on it, and because his bats, at the time, were selling for big bucks on those rare occasions that they came up.

I've since bought an '07 Max Bat, also with his ST number on it and with great use, for half that amount, and also recently bought a sweet '08 Marucci "J-Up" for a little more than 200.

Hindsight is 20/20, as they say, but if I had it to do over, I'd never pay anywhere near that much for an unused bat.

dodgerbats
01-25-2009, 03:10 PM
Put a little Pine Tar on it! :eek: Just Kidding!

Mark

brianborsch
01-25-2009, 05:15 PM
Godwulf,

If you are looking to sell the Upton LVS I may be interested. Can I see pics of it?

BB

brianborsch
01-25-2009, 05:17 PM
brianborsch@yahoo.com

brianborsch
01-25-2009, 05:21 PM
But I totally agree, that the right bat can look real good unused. I have a Edgar Martinez LVS that is so nice looking with its finish and the wood grain. Simply amazing!

metsbats
01-25-2009, 07:57 PM
I typically stay away from unused bats because I like them game used. The only exceptions are rarer post season bats which are issued but not used because the player wanted to stick with regular season bats during the post season. I have many playoff and WS bats in my collection which are game issued. Most of the time you have to take these types of bats as they come because they are rare anyway. Another exception would be the error bats.

But I agree with the sentiment that you can certainly save alot of $$ on a game issued and they make for great autographed collectibles.

spartakid
01-25-2009, 08:07 PM
IMO, I like used only, just becuase I like to collect game used bats becuase of the sense of connection that it give with the game. I think game issued are cool under certain circumstances, but in general they lack that sentimental value becuase they were just ordered, the player didn't necessarily even see or touch it.

kylehess10
01-26-2009, 03:06 AM
I really can't stand game issued. It may have been in the dugout and prepared for the player, but it still never saw action. I'm sure everybody knows by now that I like the bats in my collection to be hammered, shattered....just destroyed basically :D

brianborsch
01-26-2009, 03:15 AM
But while a bat never seen action, it still has been made to a player's specs which stands for something. I wouldn't mind having a game issued Ty Cobb or Joe Jackson bat from back in the day...

thrush29
01-26-2009, 06:48 AM
I will go with a bat that has obviously never been used if the price is right and mostly only as a "filler" for the collection - you know, the way some guys who collect card sets will buy a cheap card in very bad condition till they can get one that's better.

Whenever I've gotten impatient and spent more for an "issued' bat than it was worth, I've regretted it. For instance, I paid $300 for an unused LS Justin Upton bat in '07, mainly because it had his '07 ST number on it, and because his bats, at the time, were selling for big bucks on those rare occasions that they came up.

I've since bought an '07 Max Bat, also with his ST number on it and with great use, for half that amount, and also recently bought a sweet '08 Marucci "J-Up" for a little more than 200.

Hindsight is 20/20, as they say, but if I had it to do over, I'd never pay anywhere near that much for an unused bat.

I'd have to agree with godwulf on this, I'd only buy one as a "filler" or odd model number of the particular player I'm collecting....other than that the more hammered the better!

Vintagedeputy
01-26-2009, 07:21 AM
I really can't stand game issued. It may have been in the dugout and prepared for the player, but it still never saw action. I'm sure everybody knows by now that I like the bats in my collection to be hammered, shattered....just destroyed basically :D

I have to agree with Kyle on this. Game issued to me is no different than a store model bat, in my opinion.

allstarsplus
01-26-2009, 08:08 AM
I have to agree with Kyle on this. Game issued to me is no different than a store model bat, in my opinion.

I have noticed that for some of these charity auctions the players make themed baskets and throw in an unused bat. I am OK with that if it is the brand they normally use otherwise IMO it is a step above a store bat.

godwulf
01-26-2009, 08:34 AM
I have noticed that for some of these charity auctions the players make themed baskets and throw in an unused bat.

Then you'll see someone who's not a collector, and who normally doesn't deal with game-used items, bragging in an auction listing that "this bat is in MINT CONDITION!" :D

allstarsplus
01-26-2009, 08:47 AM
Then you'll see someone who's not a collector, and who normally doesn't deal with game-used items, bragging in an auction listing that "this bat is in MINT CONDITION!" :D

Our #1 seller at yesterday's FanFest for bats wasn't the game used bats, it was the player model autograph bats.

I wasn't sure if the popularity of those bats was based on the pricepoint or that maybe people dont like used bats or the combination of both.

tigerdale
01-26-2009, 08:52 AM
If its a world series or all-star bat, but unused, that should still carry some premium shouldn't it??

allstarsplus
01-26-2009, 09:30 AM
If its a world series or all-star bat, but unused, that should still carry some premium shouldn't it??

Absolutely!!!!

Manram
01-26-2009, 09:49 AM
But while a bat never seen action, it still has been made to a player's specs which stands for something. I wouldn't mind having a game issued Ty Cobb or Joe Jackson bat from back in the day...

That's a great example, while I believe that issued are above store model, I think used is much better. I think that I would only get issued when used isn't an option, such as Cobb or Ruth. In a way I think that game used bats are like the favorite child, preferred, an issued is okay if you can't get used.:(