Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oakesc8855
    • Jan 2009

Best/Worse signers

Who are the best and worst superstars to get to sign in person, lets hear your stories, good and bad and see some pictures of items and with players.
  • spartakid
    • Oct 2008

Re: Best/Worse signers

Well I know from stories that Barry Bonds is a jerk, but now he may need to to paid signings to pay the bills Karma is so sweet. As an A's fan I know Nick Swisher was a GREAT signer and a fan favorite. I went to the occasional game a few years back and EVERY game he was signing and I got his auto. I also got Sammy Sosa when he was on the DL for the Rangers. Nice guy (from the bits and pieces I got of his Spanish.)
    Ricardo Montoya

ri.montoya at yahoo dot com

Comment

• jetersbatboy
      • Jun 2008

People have nothing but great things to say about Willie Mays, Randy Johnson and Johnny Bench

Comment

• Vintagedeputy
        • Oct 2005

Mark Wohlers was a total ass as his career was doing a swirly here in Richmond.

Comment

• thrush29
          • Jun 2006

Nolan Ryan was the best I ever encountered, atleast during spring training in Port Charlotte when he was with the Rangers. The org. would put out a sign everyday as to whether he was signing or not. If the sign was out indicating that he was signing a line would start to form near the fenced in area where he parked. After his workout he would bring out a small chair/desk combo at sit at the front of the line. He would sign for the entire line and converse/take photos with everyone. I always thought that was kind of cool!.........unfortunately the ex-wife has the photos.

Comment

• allstarsplus
            • Nov 2005

I stopped a long time ago trying to get ballpark sigs as the chase usually left you in frustration and a poor sig.

Worst in ballpark and paid signing - Eddie Murray would refuse to sign at the ballpark even if you were there during batting practice with a child before the stadium opened to the public. At a paid signing, Eddie had his wireless earpiece in and talked on his phone while signing for customers. Never again.

Worst paid athlete - Have to disagree with Jetersaboy above in that Willie Mays was a jerk. Refused to sign in ballpoint pen and only a sharpie, even though you were paying him. Was told later he has bad eyesight but if true it didn't excuse how rude he was.

Best experience at the ballpark was Mark McGwire and Cal Ripken.

Best experience in person for a public signing was Cal Ripken. Took his time, posed for pictures. Talked to you while he was signing. Amazing experience and worth spending the extra money to get him in a public signing.

Best experience in a private signing was Ryan Zimmerman who made suggestions of pen types, inscriptions, and didn't rush things. Good conversation throughout making it a great experience.
            Regards,
            Andrew Lang
            AllstarsPlus@aol.com
            202-716-8500

Comment

• skyking26
              • Dec 2005

Originally posted by thrush29
              Nolan Ryan was the best I ever encountered, atleast during spring training in Port Charlotte when he was with the Rangers. The org. would put out a sign everyday as to whether he was signing or not. If the sign was out indicating that he was signing a line would start to form near the fenced in area where he parked. After his workout he would bring out a small chair/desk combo at sit at the front of the line. He would sign for the entire line and converse/take photos with everyone. I always thought that was kind of cool!.........unfortunately the ex-wife has the photos.
              Ah, I remember those days. Mid 90's, I was down in Port Charlotte and everything you stated is right on the money. That is how I obtained Ryan's sig. Pheonominal way to take care of fans. Class act.

Among my best experiences would be:

Dave Kingman: Always cordial with my wife and kids, carrying on conversation. Has signed many a time away from venue. Once turned down a limo ride to JFK so I could take him to airport. Always cordial and talkative to fans...provided you do not piss him off - which would be the case with anyone.

Andre Dawson/Paul Molitor: Class acts. Extremely friendly guys. Dawson is alot quieter a person.

Frank Howard: Hondo is my best. This guy makes customer satisfaction an art form. Warmest, friendliest guy you could possibly meet.

Joe Morgan: This HOFer is tops of all time. I got him in Chicago in the early 90's at a National. I had just obtained a ticket for going the wrong way on a one way on my way to the event. The cop actually made me follow him to a precinct instead of taking care of things at the car. Morgan heard my story while in line and had everybody at the National sign the baseball for me...HOF'ers abound. What a guy.

Bill Madlock: Spoke with my son about Little League and gave him pointers on his stance.

Honorable mentions of great signers: Sparky Anderson, Bert Blyleven, Killebrew, Bob Feller.

Worst signers:

Mark McGwire: Whether at the park or in person, my 3 or 4 experiences were all the same. At a paid appearance he would not speak with any patron, never looked up, and at some instances had his girlfriend on his lap...

Willie Mays: Just a nasty man. Obviously feels the world somehow wronged him - now how to take it out on the fans paying for my scribe??

Al Kaline: Irritable man. I've seen him throw things when asked to sign. At paid events he does not speak to anyone and acts pissed off.

Albert Belle: Mean. I'm not sure there is a happy bone in this guys body. Need not say more here.

Mike Schmidt: Another nasty. Paid appearance in Chicago. No personality whatsoever.
              ROBERT KOPPEL
              Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,
              and 1968, 1984, HOF Tigers GU Bats...Skyking442@hotmail.com

Comment

• godwulf
                • Aug 2007

Randy Johnson is the worst, by far, I've ever encountered, and I think everyone who has been on this board for awhile has heard that story.

I honestly can't think of anyone else I've ever encountered who was a bad signer. Some guys seem a bit nervous and so they don't talk a lot, but you can tell it is just nervousness, so you can't really hold it against them.

Pete Rose wasn't exactly Mr. Personality when I saw him, but I wasn't really expecting him to be, so I wasn't disappointed.

The best: probably a tie between Luis Gonzalez and Matt Williams.

The first time I met Gonzo was in '99, and I was just beginning to get stuff signed and had a lot to learn. I asked him to sign a ball for me with a black Sharpie, and he said, "Are you sure?" and then went on to explain to me why ballpoint was better; I've never forgotten that. At another signing, he got there about ten minutes late, and the first thing he did was to apologize to everyone, and explain that he'd been at his son's basketball game. I've been to probably at least a half dozen signings by Gonzo, and he's always fantastic.

I can't say enough nice things about Matty. He talks with everyone like they are someone he's known all his life, and makes a point of putting the best possible signature on anything he's given.

Honorable mention: Bobby Witt, Ken Phelps, Miguel Batista, Greg Swindell.
                Jeff
                godwulf1@cox.net

Comment

• BULBUS
                  • Nov 2005

Don Mattingly, one of the best! The line takes forever, beacuse he will talk to you and take pictures. Well worth the wait!
                  Chris

NY Giants, NY Yankees, Don Mattingly, Mattingly brand bats (any player)
                  sigpic
                  donnie23fan at yahoo.com

Comment

• smittyark
                    • Jun 2008

At the park, Cal Ripken was probably the best big name signer. I got him 3 days in a row in Detroit.

I spent most summers with my Uncle in Cincinnati growing up and he worked the games, so I went all the time. I have to say Rob Dibble was the biggest asshole ever. Refused every attempt to sign. Would say he would come back later and wouldn't. Often times I would get in the park before the general public, but I never had any luck with Dibble.

Comment

• gameu08
                      • Sep 2008

Cal Ripken was great met him at a MAB show. But my favorite was Brian Urlacher who talked with me and took some pics. Great sig as well.

mike

Comment

• Sluggo
                        • Jan 2009

I don't care how many wins, homers, WS rings these guys have, they were rude, foul-mouthed, disrespectful people, often in front of old ladies, little kids, etc: (all are based on multiple, routine experiences - not like I only saw them once)

BAD back in the day: Randy Myers (whew!), Keith Hernandez, Eddie Murray, Alfredo Griffin, Felix Jose, Billy Ripken, Lou Piniella, Frank Robinson, Rickey Henderson

GREAT back in the day: Mike Morgan, Matt Williams, Jack Armstrong, Luis Quinones, Terry Kennedy, Cal Ripken Sr, Cal Ripken Jr, Mark Eichorn, Dave Stewart, Dwight Gooden, Jim Palmer, Jose Canseco, Dave Justice

They may not all be HOFers, but they are true class acts.

Comment

• Sluggo
                          • Jan 2009

Forgot one of the greatest: Buddy Bell!

Originally posted by Sluggo
                          GREAT back in the day:

They may not all be HOFers, but they are true class acts.

Comment

• bigtruck260
                            • Sep 2007

Best - Willie McGee...humble, humble, humble. HUGE in STL. Bigger draw than most HOF including Musial at the shows I've attended.

Worst - Reggie Jackson. No comment, just not very nice.
                            Dave
                            Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
                            River City Redbird Authentics
                            http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

sigpic

Comment

• godwulf
                              • Aug 2007

I've never met (the now retired) Eric Young, but judging from the way his son, Eric Jr., whom I met this past year in the Arizona Fall League, conducts himself around the fans, I'm guessing that the Dad was an excellent role model.

Agree about Mike Morgan - MoMan! One of the most talkative individuals I've ever met in my life, and a sweetheart...and he signed the same way he talked - profusely. I've got an 8 x 10 photo that he signed for me shortly after the '01 WS, and he inscribed it, "To Jeff, Friends Forever! 2001 World Series Champions", etc, etc, and just covered the entire photo with writing, talking a blue streak the entire time. It was hilarious.

I remember the time MoMan got hit hard on his right knee with a line drive, and was on the ground, writhing with agonizing pain for a good five minutes, while everyone gathered around trying to help; it was one of the ugliest things I've ever seen on a ballfield. Ten minutes later, the skipper, Bob Brenly, was walking off the field shaking his head - MoMan had talked Brenly into letting him stay out there and pitch some more.
                              Jeff
                              godwulf1@cox.net

Comment

Working...