PDA

View Full Version : Value of Painted on Game Balls - NFL

B1SON
01-25-2009, 11:26 PM
Can someone help me set a ball park value for a game ball (painted on saying "Presented to ....." for a common player from 2002 and 2003. He is willing to sell his first NFL touchdowns (both regular season and preseason) but I have no idea what to offer. I have a Steve Nelson game ball I bought off Ebay for $75 from 1972, but I am sure I got that for a steal. Just a ball park please. I don't want to insult him, nor offer way to much. Thanks for any help!

1986&2004Bosox
01-25-2009, 11:37 PM
any game ball IMO is worth at least 500.00 especially if it is painted and comes direct from the player. A nelson for 75 is not a steal it's the deal of a lifetime.

B1SON
01-26-2009, 12:21 AM
You could have had this one then for half price.

http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/Auction_Item.asp?Auction_ID=46050

helmets
01-26-2009, 07:03 AM
any game ball IMO is worth at least 500.00 especially if it is painted and comes direct from the player.

huh?
500.00?
I see them go for 100-200 quite often for a common player.

cohibasmoker
01-26-2009, 08:30 AM
Would you mean these kinds of footballs?

There are a lot of variables.

1) What team? Depends on what market were're talking. Some teams items bring more money than other markets - Supply and demand;
2) Game significance - Super Bowl, Playoff Game, etc?
3) Was the football actually used in the game?
4) Does it hold air? This MAY or MAY NOT be a factor;
5) Who was the football issued to?
-a) player - future HOF'er?
-b) team owners;
-c) coaches;
-d) employees - The Eagles give team balls to employees (ushers, etc);
-e) fans; and,
-f) sponsors.
6) Condition?
7) Vintage or recent?

A value is a difficult thing to determine. I may have forgotten some other factors which determines a value of a "Presentation" football but this is a forum and other opinions, right or wrong, are always welcome. By the way, that Steve Nelson football was a nice pickup and a steal.

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net

B1SON
01-26-2009, 10:31 AM
I guess my Nelson is from 1975. I definitely know now I got a steal. He gave it to a child in a hospital and 20 years later, the childs mother sold it in a rummage sale. A guy assumed it had value and bought it for $50. He tried to sell it on Ebay for a reserve price of $100. The problem was, he was not an Ebay kind of guy....he described it terribly and included no pictures. We agreed on $75 shipped.

http://www.bisongamedaymemorabilia.com/images/gallery_images/nelson_ball1.jpg

Anyway....thanks for the help. ;)

cohibasmoker
01-26-2009, 11:08 AM
I guess my Nelson is from 1975. I definitely know now I got a steal. He gave it to a child in a hospital and 20 years later, the childs mother sold it in a rummage sale. A guy assumed it had value and bought it for $50. He tried to sell it on Ebay for a reserve price of $100. The problem was, he was not an Ebay kind of guy....he described it terribly and included no pictures. We agreed on $75 shipped.

http://www.bisongamedaymemorabilia.com/images/gallery_images/nelson_ball1.jpg

Anyway....thanks for the help. ;)

Very nice football indeed. If you want to add to your collection, there's another Patriots, a Cardinals and a Cowboys Presentation football currently on eBay - no they are NOT mine.

Jim

princip
01-26-2009, 11:08 AM
Here's a game ball I'd tag at around $350, Tom Catlin (Knox Era coach) first playoff birth for the Seahawks etc. One of the nicer and more significant ones in my photo collection:

http://www.greenglare.com/images/323a.jpg

cohibasmoker
01-26-2009, 12:03 PM
Here's a game ball I'd tag at around $350, Tom Catlin (Knox Era coach) first playoff birth for the Seahawks etc. One of the nicer and more significant ones in my photo collection:

http://www.greenglare.com/images/323a.jpg

princip - I have only one word for your football - NICE.

I have never seen a Seahawks football before and the artwork is awesome. On the flip-side, I have attached a Titans ball from 2002. It's a pretty nice but the Titans helmet (left side of the football) is actually a sticker.

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net

princip
01-27-2009, 09:30 AM
Very nice Thornton ball there, dig that font/script.

B1SON
03-29-2009, 01:22 AM
Ok, so after much agonizing, I sent a $100 money order for one ball and waited patiently. He kindly packaged the ball great and sent it too me. I decided to have him send the NDSU game ball first. Now, I sent him the other $400 money order today for the 4 NFL presentation balls. The 1st one is his first career preseason touchdown scored (Rams), the 2nd is first career regular season touchdown (Rams) and the last two and balls presented to the team, but each player got their own ball personally painted to them (Eagles and Dolphins). Now, my question is......do I ask him to autograph them before shipping them to me. I am on the fence on this one and I'd like others opinions. I like to have the players sign their jerseys, but I just don't know about the presentation balls. I have to email and let him know tomorrow because he gets the money order and ships them to me on Monday. I'll post pics when they arrive...either with autos or without...I can't decide.

respo
07-18-2015, 04:53 AM
How many painted game balls are given out per game usually? i recently picked up a patriots 2009 painted ball, and was wondering if this was the only one given that game or were there several given to different players?

Preston
02-10-2016, 08:59 PM
princip - I have only one word for your football - NICE.

I have never seen a Seahawks football before and the artwork is awesome. On the flip-side, I have attached a Titans ball from 2002. It's a pretty nice but the Titans helmet (left side of the football) is actually a sticker.

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net

Hey Jim - you don't happen to have this ball still do you? If you do, would you be interested in parting with it?

yanks12025
10-10-2016, 05:45 PM
Question about painted game balls. How many of them do you think are actually real. I always see on eBay or in auctions, they have painted footballs from good level players and these players are still actively playing. So why would these players actually be selling these footballs already just couple years after the games??