PDA

View Full Version : Photo-matching/price premiums

skipcareyisfat
04-12-2006, 08:09 AM
Is anyone willing to pay more for a g/u item if it's photo-matched? Personally, I think I would in some cases. That said, I'm kind of surprised that people/dealers aren't charging premiums for things that have been photo-matched. I wouldn't have a problem with it, especially considering the "premiums" people pay to have someone else tell them they think their item is genuine (COAs). In reality if I'm buying something I'm assuming it's real to begin with, so a match really isn't neceassary. But, IMO, being able to link a g/u item directly to a player is pretty cool and probably worth a few extra bucks.

Jason

Yankwood
04-12-2006, 09:09 AM
Is anyone willing to pay more for a g/u item if it's photo-matched? Personally, I think I would in some cases. That said, I'm kind of surprised that people/dealers aren't charging premiums for things that have been photo-matched. I wouldn't have a problem with it, especially considering the "premiums" people pay to have someone else tell them they think their item is genuine (COAs). In reality if I'm buying something I'm assuming it's real to begin with, so a match really isn't neceassary. But, IMO, being able to link a g/u item directly to a player is pretty cool and probably worth a few extra bucks.

JasonI agree because I do have a few (very few) items that I actually can do this with and I kind of favor those items over some of the others. I hope they don't read this. They're such a jealous lot.

metsbats
04-12-2006, 10:46 AM
Given that many teams uses multiple sets of jersey variations these days I find it hard to believe that one can definitively say that a jersey can be 100% photo-matched. I believe you can photo match a jersey style but to pinpoint it to the exact jersey you own would be very difficult unless there are telltale signs like a tobacco stain, blood stain, repair patch, damage/rip, pine tar (as in the case of a Biggio or Buhner) syringe holes,etc.

With older jerseys from the days when teams only had set 1,2 home and road it may be doable.

I think there may be a chance to photo match a bat however a jersey would be difficult.

David

eGameUsed
04-12-2006, 10:58 AM
I have been able to photo match over 30 Astros Home Pinstripe jerseys since their use began in 2000. The most detailed work to date has been in my 2004 Clemens jersey. See here:

http://www.egameused.com/clemens_2004_jersey.html

As I am sure you know, no two pinstripe jerseys are the same, as they are made from 5 independent pieces of material. Patch allignment will also vary in relation to the pinstripes.

The Astros still use very few jerseys, especially for non-star players. For example, I own two Adam Everett 2004 Home Pinstripes. One looks like it is untouched, the other looks like it had been worn for 10 years. When I got Adam to sign both jerseys he claimed his superstitions kept the 2nd in the corner of the locker in case he needed it. The first was the worn he wore for over 40 Home games (when pinstripes were worn).

I know other teams wear many more jerseys, and some don't wear pinstripes.

In terms of value, I do think photo matched items carry a premium. A New York collector latest offer for my Clemens was $35,000, a match to Steiner prices. Other Clemens 2004 jerseys with no photo match and light use have gone for under $4000.

Bats are by far my favorite to photo match, and by far the toughest. I have only photomatched about a dozen bats, including the Adam Everett 2005 World Series bat (photos attached).

Thanks,

Chris Boyd
www.eGameUsed.com (http://www.eGameUsed.com)
ccboyd@houston.rr.com
713-385-1155

trsent
04-12-2006, 11:10 AM
In terms of value, I do think photo matched items carry a premium. A New York collector latest offer for my Clemens was $35,000, a match to Steiner prices. Other Clemens 2004 jerseys with no photo match and light use have gone for under $4000.

Chris, you did take the offer, right?

eGameUsed
04-12-2006, 01:51 PM
No, much to wife's dismay, I did not! It was a nice offer, but that is when it becomes tough to be a dealer and collector. I offered the same collector another photo matched Astros jersey from 2004, and they refused at a much lower price. They wanted the jersey that was matched to the All-Star game. I have over 70 photos to date of Clemens wearing the shirt, ranging from Getty Images, Astros Programs, and Sports Illustrated.

Thanks,

Chris Boyd
ccboyd@houston.rr.com
713-385-1155

trsent
04-12-2006, 01:59 PM
A lady asked me today what I collect, and I told her everything I have ever collected I have eventually sold (except for personally autographed items to me) as it gives me something to do with my time, which is to find more of the same or similar items.

Yankwood
04-12-2006, 02:37 PM
A lady asked me today what I collect, and I told her everything I have ever collected I have eventually sold (except for personally autographed items to me) as it gives me something to do with my time, which is to find more of the same or similar items.I heard you collect broken hearts.

metsbats
04-12-2006, 02:37 PM
I have been able to photo match over 30 Astros Home Pinstripe jerseys since their use began in 2000. The most detailed work to date has been in my 2004 Clemens jersey. See here:

http://www.egameused.com/clemens_2004_jersey.html

As I am sure you know, no two pinstripe jerseys are the same, as they are made from 5 independent pieces of material. Patch allignment will also vary in relation to the pinstripes.

The Astros still use very few jerseys, especially for non-star players. For example, I own two Adam Everett 2004 Home Pinstripes. One looks like it is untouched, the other looks like it had been worn for 10 years. When I got Adam to sign both jerseys he claimed his superstitions kept the 2nd in the corner of the locker in case he needed it. The first was the worn he wore for over 40 Home games (when pinstripes were worn).

I know other teams wear many more jerseys, and some don't wear pinstripes.

Bats are by far my favorite to photo match, and by far the toughest. I have only photomatched about a dozen bats, including the Adam Everett 2005 World Series bat (photos attached).

Thanks,

Chris Boyd
ccboyd@houston.rr.com
713-385-1155

The proof is in the pinstripes. Good point Chris! I'm going on to Getty images tonight to try to see if I can photo-match my 2002 Roberto Alomar home pinstripe!

David

trsent
04-12-2006, 02:53 PM
I heard you collect broken hearts.

...and bad checks!

eGameUsed
04-13-2006, 10:06 PM
David,

Any luck photo matching your Alomar pinstripe! Looking forward to hearing about it!

Thanks,

Chris Boyd
ccboyd@houston.rr.com
713-385-1155

scottanservitz
04-14-2006, 09:35 PM
Hi guys. This is a great debate in our hobby. To me, photo matching is a great advantage to be able to do. If a piece of equipment is identifiable in a photo I believe it certainly adds value to the piece. If I'm not mistaken, even MEARS uses photos to check for authenticity purposes and they list Getty or Topps cards to help in verifying style, fonts and such. So even the authenticators use pictures whenever possible. Without such evidence of actually having photo proof on a piece, the best a buyer can rest assured would be 50/50. Tagging and such can only assure team issued in my opinion. The one area I feel more confident without pictures would be game used bats. I think in this instance, player traits really stand out more. It would be harder to fake game use due to the fact someone would have to spend countless hours in a batting cage trying to hit 90 mph fastballs with real MLB balls. How could you pull that off?! So in my opinion, a photo match is really WORTH A THOUSANDS WORDS, so to speak of course. Happy collecting! -Scott

suave1477
04-15-2006, 04:09 PM
You can definitely photo match to Baseball cards including Topps, Donruss, Upper Deck, and Score.

One thing here that can help people use as a refrence for jerseys which I dont think most members here realize.
Is Mitchell and Ness - They are the top throwback company and manufacture each players jersey to the exact - Style, Fonts, Piping, Patches, etc....

They are a great refrence if you have older jerseys!!!

I believe there jerseys date up to 1996

otismalibu
04-15-2006, 04:19 PM
One thing here that can help people use as a refrence for jerseys which I dont think most members here realize.Is Mitchell and Ness - They are the top throwback company and manufacture each players jersey to the exact - Style, Fonts, Piping, Patches, etc....

I love M&N jerseys and own quite a few. That being said, many aspects of my Dr. J. M&N replicas differ from the original. The ends of the arm piping meet up differently , the cut of the bottom of the jersey differs and even some of the number styles are slightly incorrect. The position of the name and number on back also differs from true gamers. Still great replicas...the best I've seen, but not 100% true to the original. And thanks goodness they aren't!

Greg