PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of error bats?

ccmunner
01-27-2009, 02:40 PM
Just wondering what everyone thought of error bats? Thanks.

tigerdale
01-27-2009, 02:49 PM
I think they have a unique place in the hobby, they are harder to come by. For me personally, eye appeal means a lot when I display items, and for that reason, I don't care for them personally. I have seen some of the error collections out there & they are a neat collection. One of my favorite bats is a magglio ordonez game used playoff bat, they left one of the 'G's' out of his first name & it just kills me everytime I look at it.

grenda12
01-27-2009, 03:07 PM
Does it add more or less value to the bat?

godwulf
01-27-2009, 03:16 PM
Love 'em.

In the other recent "error bats" thread, I forgot to mention my black LS "Cluadio Vargas" bat. I have two of them, in fact; come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen one of Claudio's bats from Arizona that didn't have his name misspelled.

I've also got a cracked Luke Allen Diamondbacks bat that a clubhouse guy from Colorado sent me - part of a shipment of bats that Allen received with the wrong team name on it, and decided to use, anyway.

A few years ago, Randy Johnson was being interviewed and referred to teammate Craig Counsell as "Greg", which both he and Counsell got kidded about for quite some time around here. I subsequently got ahold of one of his bats from 2004 in Milwaukee, which is stamped "Graig Counsell", and I've wondered whether that really was an error, or someone's idea of a joke, and a reference to RJ's gaffe.

MikeSharon
01-27-2009, 04:57 PM
Speaking of error bats has anyone ever seen any LS that a double branded?
I have several bats that have 2 major league brandings on them that are totally different
for example one is branded as a team bat and model M110 while on the other side of the barell it is branded as a player name and model S2
does anyone else have any expierence with bats like this ?

BMH
01-28-2009, 04:43 PM
Ah...my lovely workers. I finally had to make sure the guy branding isn't the same one packing bats. Tends to let a lot more through. I had two this past week and I just shake my head. One was my foil brander accidentally put the end brand on both sides of the barrel instead of putting the Maple leaf. No big deal, only one bat and he caught it. Our burn brander came up to laugh at him for doing it (we do have fun at work). I then noticed my burn brander had spelled the name wrong on all twelve of the bats he was working on. Bubois instead of Dubois. He asked me if he thought the player would notice. I shook my head and walked away.

I remember the counsell bats. The "G"s and "C"s are very close to each other in that script. The sad part if I remember right, they reran the bats THREE times and still got them wrong. It sometimes doesn't pay to get of bed and go to work.

godwulf
01-28-2009, 05:03 PM
What happens to the bats that are too screwed up to send out? Do they end up heating somebody's house in the winter?

BMH
01-28-2009, 05:29 PM
We usually put them in the BPAS racks for minor league players to pick out when they come in to play our AAA team.