PDA

View Full Version : AMI Cal Ripken Game Worn Cleats

mr.miracle
01-29-2009, 08:09 PM
Hello Forum Readers:

http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/Auction_Item.asp?Auction_ID=47380

I am attaching a link to a current AMI auction of what is reported to be Cal Ripken Jr. game worn mid to late 80's cleats. They are a pair of Adidas black and white cleats. Perhaps I am missing something but I cannot find any record in my photos of Ripken ever wearing anything in games other than the standard Orioles orange and black cleats. They also have the rubber cleats on the bottom not the traditional metal spikes I have always seen on the bottom of Ripken cleats. Perhaps Ripken wore these in his backyard playing soccer with Ryan and Rachel. Does anyone have any photographic evidence of Cal ever wearing black and white adidas rubber bottomed cleats in any game of his career?

Any feedback would be appreciated. As always, these come complete with a top of the line 100% Authentic team LOA. We all know there is simply nothing better in the sport.

Thanks,

ironmanfan
01-29-2009, 08:30 PM
Hello Forum Readers:

http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/Auction_Item.asp?Auction_ID=47380

I am attaching a link to a current AMI auction of what is reported to be Cal Ripken Jr. game worn mid to late 80's cleats. They are a pair of Adidas black and white cleats. Perhaps I am missing something but I cannot find any record in my photos of Ripken ever wearing anything in games other than the standard Orioles orange and black cleats. They also have the rubber cleats on the bottom not the traditional metal spikes I have always seen on the bottom of Ripken cleats.

Not to defend 100% Authentic nor AMI, but I have seen Cal numerous times (in person & within my photo reference files) wearing black/white Adidas cleats during his career. Both the cleats & hat they are offering in their current auction look 'spot on' to me.

mr.miracle
01-29-2009, 09:08 PM
Not to defend 100% Authentic nor AMI, but I have seen Cal numerous times (in person & within my photo reference files) wearing black/white Adidas cleats during his career. Both the cleats & hat they are offering in their current auction look 'spot on' to me.

Thanks Ironmanfan, if you happen to have any photos that you could post on here or let me know of on Corbis, Getty etc. that would be most appreciated. I searched Getty from 81 - 90 and see one photo of Cal in White & Black Adidas and it was a photo of him seated with Billy and Cal Sr. I thought perhaps these might be batting practice cleats or something. I have not been able to readily identify any game photo of him wearing any.

Thanks,

ironmanfan
01-29-2009, 09:12 PM
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k172/whhp72/ripken1992.jpg

mr.miracle
01-29-2009, 09:18 PM
Thanks, I guess I either did not look far enough out on Getty or maybe there just aren't any on that site or Corbis.

ironmanfan
01-30-2009, 10:00 AM
I just want to clarify my previous post (I have rec'd a few e-mails) that I believe that the cleats AMI are offerring were definitely worn by Cal, but most likely for pre game use (as opposed to in an actual game). The picture I posted was just to depict Cal wearing a shoe/spike with a color combination of other than black/orange. If I have time later I can dig out my own pictures I took of Cal during pre-game warm up wearing similar foot attire.

Sorry for any confusion.

Bill
whhp72@yahoo.com

ironmanfan
01-31-2009, 11:19 PM
As promised, here are a couple pictures of Cal during pre-game practice that I took myself. The one in the black warm-up is from 1985 and the other is from 1986..In both of these instances he is wearing black/white Adidas rubber cleats (which was pretty much the norm for him back then).