PDA

View Full Version : Jack McKeon

yanks12025
01-31-2009, 10:42 AM
Got a quick question. A family friend has the hat Jack McKeon wore when he won the world series in 2003. He was wondering what a item like this is worth. McKeon has also signed the hat with the oldest manager to win a world series. Thanks for any help

Sluggo
01-31-2009, 12:11 PM
Neat hat. Mr. Mac was a great guy with the fans during his tenure with Cincinnati.

Jack's grandkid is a member here if I am not mistaken.

xpress34
01-31-2009, 01:26 PM
Got a quick question. A family friend has the hat Jack McKeon wore when he won the world series in 2003. He was wondering what a item like this is worth. McKeon has also signed the hat with the oldest manager to win a world series. Thanks for any help

Yanks -

Now that sounds like a cool piece. I met McKeon here in Denver a few times when the Marlins were in town for games. Really nice guy.

In fact we got rather 'engaged' in a conversation about an old timer - Charlie Metro (check out 'Nanty Glow' on line) - former player and long time manager/coach. When I wa sworking for Rawlings I got to know Charlie fairly well and after the Marlins won the 2003 WS, Charlie told me if I ever met McKeon to remind him that Charlie gave him his 1st break in coaching.

Well, I did mention this to Jack and I thought he was going to choke on his cigar! He was cracking up when he told me. "That lying SOB! I swear - you win the Series and all of a sudden everyone gave you your first job!"

We talked for a while longer - Jack even let me try on his WS Ring...

Great guy!!! I would have to guess that his Gamer from the Series would have to be well over $500 - especially being signed and inscribed... realize I'm basing that on the fact the per the Rockies, they sold the Holliday WS Gamer that I later obtained for over $400 (without auto) from the Rockies store and they had many offers for way over that to purchase it but they always sell based on where you are on their waiting list. Since I got my Holliday signed and inscribed (I do also have LOA for Provenance from the Rockies as well as Matt inspecting the hat personally before inscribing it to verify it was his) I have turned down a few offers of bewteen $1,500 and $2,000 from other Holliday collectors.

If the McKeon hat ever becomes 'available', I might be interested!!!

All the best -

Chris

P.S. - Me with Kack in 2004 after he signed my Marlins WS Poster:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/xpress34/Me%20and/Mewith22.jpg

allstarsplus
01-31-2009, 03:48 PM

Jack did a signing after the World Series of 2003 in northern New York and I accumulated a bunch of NLCS and WS items for him to sign. It was all great as he put some nice sigs and inscriptions on the items.

What was especially memorable about 2003 was that miraculous win in the Bartman game in the NLCS in Chicago.