PDA

View Full Version : Question about vintage photos

gameusedfan
04-14-2006, 08:56 AM
Thanks for any help you guys can provide regarding my inexperience with vintage photos. I have a bunch of photos in my collection originating from Culver Pictures photo services. However, other than that, they are different in every other way. First, some are glossy photos and some are matte. Some are on what I would consider very flimsy stock while others are on heavy cardboard stock. Finally, the addresses for Culver in NYC can be different.

My point here is there a way to know whether you have an original generation photo as opposed to a 3rd, 4th, etc reprint? I have two "old" Jim Thorpe photos I paid a mint for and they just don't "feel right" to me. Normally when something doesn't "feel right" that is not a good sign. They are rare photos on heavy cardboard paper, in very good shape, with the Culver Pictures writing on the back. I am assuming they are Bain because they have his style handwriting on them, although his writing has been cut off at the top.

I know this is rambling but I am trying to get as much info as possible so perhaps, maybe, one of you can tell me something I could use in evaluating these photos. Any help anyone can give would be absolutely appreciated.

Roger