PDA

View Full Version : Bud Selig's Salary What???????

cohibasmoker
02-05-2009, 12:47 PM
Are you kidding me? 18 millions dollars? Hey, if Congress is trying to deliver a stimulus plan, maybe MLB can so the same? That's a whole lot of ticket sales to cover just Mr. Selig's salary.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=jp-seligsalary020309&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Jim

Mr.3000
02-05-2009, 12:52 PM
What about Citi Bank. The are on the list of banks that are failing, they are asking the government for bailout money...YET...they have a $400,000,000 deal in place with the NY Mets to have their name on the new stadium (Citi Field).

Unreal.

Citi Bank...How about this, keep your $400 million, let the Mets name the stadium whatever they want and don't ask the government for a dime.

cohibasmoker
02-05-2009, 01:04 PM
You know, maybe its us. Everywhere we look, the only ones who are suffering are us - the little guys. Our elected officials aren't suffering, not the banks, not MLB - they are all either making a ton of cash or are getting bailed out. Are we just stupid or what?

We can't control what our elected leaders are or aren't doing but we can control whether or not we go to baseball games. Maybe we should have a Bud Selig day? Pick a day and no-one shows up.

Jim

godwulf
02-05-2009, 01:22 PM
You'd think that somebody making that kind of money could afford to have his hair cut professionally.

allstarsplus
02-05-2009, 01:39 PM
What about Citi Bank. The are on the list of banks that are failing, they are asking the government for bailout money...YET...they have a $400,000,000 deal in place with the NY Mets to have their name on the new stadium (Citi Field).

Unreal.

Citi Bank...How about this, keep your $400 million, let the Mets name the stadium whatever they want and don't ask the government for a dime.

I think there may be an over-reaction on this Citi deal. When this deal was being negotiated back in 2005 and signed in 2006, Citi was in great financial shape and they were applauded as pulling off this coup on getting the naming rights. The economy has changed significantly and now it appears that they have overpaid, but the crux of these deals is they are advertising deals, and certainly many think these are ego deals and you could be right.

From the Wall Street Journal, A Citigroup spokesman said the bank "signed a legally binding agreement with the New York Mets in 2006." ...

..."If we cave for political reasons, it will have enormous implications for our ability to contract with third parties," said an executive who has been briefed on the discussions.

Also keep in mind, Citi is contractually bound and there is probably default language on this deal.

When you break down that $400 million over the 20 years which the deal covers, it is $20 million a year which is less than the salary of many of today's star ball players so everyone is focusing on the size of the deal rather than the annual average cost and whether Citi will get $20 mill in benefit per year.

Are you kidding me? 18 millions dollars? Hey, if Congress is trying to deliver a stimulus plan, maybe MLB can so the same? That's a whole lot of ticket sales to cover just Mr. Selig's salary.

The baseball commissioner represents the baseball owners and as such deserves to be compensated accordingly. With that said, shouldn't the representative of the owners be paid more than the employees? In this case, Selig's $18 mill is less than many ballplayers (employees) so the bigger issue at hand is how the players along with Selig are overpaid!

cohibasmoker
02-05-2009, 02:20 PM
allstarplus, I think the Selig contract, the Citibank deal and guy's like Manny saying 25 million isn't enough to play baseball are all legitimate issues.

I guess the bottom line is this, at least a dozen teams are raising ticket prices this year, including the New York Mets. They will charge up to 79 percent more to watch a game on the new Citi Field, whose title sponsor is a bank rescued by … the very people paying that 79 percent premium.

Jim

Mr.3000
02-05-2009, 02:31 PM
allstarplus, I think the Selig contract, the Citibank deal and guy's like Manny saying 25 million isn't enough to play baseball are all legitimate issues.

I guess the bottom line is this, at least a dozen teams are raising ticket prices this year, including the New York Mets. They will charge up to 79 percent more to watch a game on the new Citi Field, whose title sponsor is a bank rescued by … the very people paying that 79 percent premium.

Jim

Pretty much my point overall. I am just too bogged down with stress and other issues to get into details. But well said Jim.

5kRunner
02-05-2009, 02:35 PM
Ticket prices are a supply and demand issue. When the demand goes down, so will the prices. I guarantee the teams that are struggling to fill their stadium each and every night aren't raising prices.

Vintagedeputy
02-05-2009, 02:41 PM
I'll take the job for 100K...you can keep the change.:)

Vintagedeputy
02-05-2009, 02:44 PM
You'd think that somebody making that kind of money could afford to have his hair cut professionally.

Funniest comment I've read all day! Thanks for the chuckle! :)

GoTigers
02-05-2009, 07:30 PM
I have no problem with what ballplayers make. They are apparently worth that money in ticket sales and merchandise or the teams wouldn't pay it. There are few people in the world that can do what A-rod and other top tier ballplayers do.

Even though Selig is their "boss" I don't think he should make a fraction of what they make. There are at least a million people out there that could do what he does, and just as well.