PDA

View Full Version : Card Grading

yanks12025
04-14-2006, 03:52 PM
HI
I WANT TO GET ONE OF MY CARDS GRADED. i WANT TO USE PSA BUT THEY CHARGE SOME MONEY JUST TO GET A SUBMISSION FORM. I WAS WONDERING IF GLOBAL AUTHENTICATION IS A GOOD PLACE TO GET YOUR CARDS GRADED.
THANKS

suave1477
04-14-2006, 10:17 PM
My personal prefence to getting a card graded is PSA/DNA, my second choice is Beckett.

geoff
04-16-2006, 02:46 PM
Try SGC ' last month i sent 25 cards to them.They are very helpful and friendly when i called to check on the status of the cards.Good luck

sylbry
04-16-2006, 07:12 PM
The safest bet is to go with PSA as they are the most recognized but with PSA you need to be a member in order to submit cards or submit it through a dealer that is a member.

If the card is 1980 or newer and you don't want to hassle with PSA then go with Beckett as they tend to specialize in newer cards.

If the card is older than 1980 go with SGC. They are hands down the best at grading vintage cards and every vintage collector knows it. They also have a buy back guarantee. What that exactly is, I am not sure. And from what I have seen they have the best grading prices or specials.

GAI has never really made a name for themselves. They are not a bad choice but many people dislike the holders and therefore do not particularly care for them.

Beckett, SGC, and GAI do not require membership in order to submit cards.

yanks12025
04-16-2006, 07:32 PM
We have a Pete rose rookie. So i have decided to go with beckett.

suave1477
04-16-2006, 09:36 PM
I agree with Sylbry as far as SGC they are most known for vintage cards, PSA/DNA is most worldly known so it really depends on the cards you have.

yanks12025
04-17-2006, 06:20 AM
When you say vintage cards what do you mean like ones from 1920's to the 1800's. Would you consider a pete rose one to be vintage.

sylbry
04-17-2006, 08:36 AM
Vintage is usually defined as pre World War 2.

suave1477
04-17-2006, 09:04 AM
Sylbry ok my question is when was World War 2? lol lol lol just kidding!!!

yanks12025
04-17-2006, 10:55 AM
Thanks for the help
to you guys on a pete rose rookie card you would us PSA but they cost good money. So who would your second choice be to have a pete rose card graded by. SGC or beckett or GAI

Vintagedeputy
04-26-2006, 08:14 PM
SGC (www.sgccard.com (http://www.sgccard.com)) is absolutely the way to go. Been collecting cards for 20 years and SGC is the only one I'd ever use.

suave1477
04-26-2006, 11:27 PM
vintagedeputy you should really look into psa/dna to get top market value out of your graded cards

trsent
04-27-2006, 02:03 PM
Thanks for the help
to you guys on a pete rose rookie card you would us PSA but they cost good money. So who would your second choice be to have a pete rose card graded by. SGC or beckett or GAI

I find PSA gets the best dollar, while other grading companies go for less value, even for higher grades. If you cards are worth having graded-authenticated, stick with PSA.

If your cards are not worth paying the price for PSA grading, then they aren't worth having graded anyway.

Now that's Joel's opinion for the day!

scottanservitz
04-27-2006, 06:55 PM
PSA is the way to go. Been around the longest, graded the most cards and pretty reliable on their grades. Do have to be a member, but you can submit through an authorized dealer. Go to the site psacard.com and you will find all you need. If you are not comfortable with that, the only other company I would consider would be SGC. Other than that, choices get very slim. Good luck and let us know how it grades.

Vintagedeputy
05-05-2006, 09:02 PM
suave1477,

I appreciate the opinion, but I wouldnt send anything to PSA if my life depended on it. With all the research I've done on the subject, the WIWAG scandal, and the way PSA customer service is, no one but SGC will ever get my money. My cards are sent for grading for my personal use. I have no interest in secondary market profit.

otismalibu
05-05-2006, 09:17 PM
I realize that PSA fetches the most money in the graded card market, but I've never heard a bad word about SGC. From what I've read on other boards, they grade very consistently and have solid customer service. Some people seem to like their grading scale as well.

Greg

suave1477
05-06-2006, 01:18 PM
Otis sgc is good but it depends what your looking to do with the card, Lets really think about this???

If your not looking to re-sell the card then why grade it, if your keeping it for yourself what does it matter if its graded. Put the card in a Toploader and call it a day.

To me the purpose of getting a card graded is if your going to resell it and try to get top market value for it.

Otherwise who cares if you like the card, you like the card. Period ended no need to grade it.

otismalibu
05-06-2006, 02:39 PM
To me the purpose of getting a card graded is if your going to resell it and try to get top market value for it.

Well, there must be people out there that get cards graded w/o trying to flip them right away. Maybe someone wants a uniform set of PSA cards all graded 8 or higher. Maybe some people prefer the slabs of one company to another. Maybe some people want to know if their card is an 8 or a 9 or maybe a 10???

And plenty of people get cards graded that probably shouldn't ever be graded, regardless of condition. Just check eBay. I'll often see PSA cards selling for less than the cost of grading the card.

Greg

suave1477
05-06-2006, 09:16 PM
Otis I understand all that as I am a hugh collector and seller myself, thats how how istarted my baseball card business. My point it I get enjoyment out of collecting a card just for enjoying collecting a card. I dont need to make sets of slabbed cards bcuz it still not matter what is going to change anything on the card. Its still the same card with a thick peice of plastic over it.

I am speaking for myself I only collect them to enjoy them. I am not faulting you or anyone else do something differetn with your cards I am just merely making a point. That if your collecting a card for yourself why have it graded or does it mean that much to you whether is an 8 or 9 or a 9 or 10

cohibasmoker
05-07-2006, 08:17 AM
From a law-enforcement point of view, PSA graded cards ARE the way to go. Each slabbed/graded card has a individual serial number. If lost or stolen, the PSA card (s) can be reported stolen and serial numbers added to the NCIC/SCIC database.

suave1477
05-07-2006, 01:56 PM
Cohiba thats true too but one thing if I stole your card chances are youll never find it again wheter its psa or not. Thats reality!!! Being slabbed by psa doesnt mean much to theft protection.

otismalibu
05-07-2006, 02:29 PM
Cohiba thats true too but one thing if I stole your card chances are youll never find it again wheter its psa or not. Thats reality!!! Being slabbed by psa doesnt mean much to theft protection.

Well, it kind of helped me once. I sold a PSA graded rookie for around $150. This was before I realized you really have to add DC to any item you ship in the USA. So a couple days after I ship, this guy from the east coast starts demanding a refund, saying he never got the card. I was pretty sure he had it. I told him to give it a few days, but he just kept asking for refund.

So I finally played along and said it must have been lost and I would send all my scans of the card, along with the serial number to PSA, so they could keep an eye out for it. Also mentioned mail theft.

The next day, he let me know that the card just arrived. Yeah, right. He could have just busted it out of the slab and resubmitted it, but I guess he wasn't quite that clever.

For the record, I no longer own any graded cards. Just ungraded autographed cards. If I were to sell them, I might consider the PSA/DNA auto authentication slabs. For the autos I have, the fee used to be $50. Now I think it's $20.

Greg

Vintagedeputy
05-15-2006, 10:33 PM
cohiba,

I am a law enforcement officer and my SGC cards (and everyone else's ) have a serial number just like PSA.

suave1477
05-16-2006, 12:09 AM
So what does that mean? My point is this if I bought a card for instance from ebay that was stolen and I didnt not know they were stolen and when its gets shipped to me I put it in a box with my other cards and it never sees the light of day again, till i pass them down to my children and grand children so at that my point unless you have a search warrant for my house the cards will never be seen again until my family decides to do something with them.

BackdoorSlider
11-24-2008, 04:08 AM
Otis sgc is good but it depends what your looking to do with the card, Lets really think about this???

If your not looking to re-sell the card then why grade it, if your keeping it for yourself what does it matter if its graded. Put the card in a Toploader and call it a day.

Otherwise who cares if you like the card, you like the card. Period ended no need to grade it.

I bought some cards including commons T-206s 50's Topps and I'm going to get them all graded with SGC. I'd like to turn around and sell some of them or all.. I'd hate to pay that 100.00 membership for PSA and I don't have a dealing that I know.

BackdoorSlider
11-24-2008, 04:12 AM
We have a Pete rose rookie. So i have decided to go with beckett.

I heard Beckett is harder on grading and that they're known for 90's to present. You should look into sgc for your Pete Rose card.

1. 1909-1945 = SGC
2. 1946-1979 = PSA
3. 1980-1985 = BGS

Personally, I dont want to pay the 100.00 dollars for PSA. So I'd use SGC for ANY card

Vintagedeputy
11-24-2008, 04:21 PM
This thread is 2 and a half years old - way to revive the thread Backdoorslider! :)

trsent
11-24-2008, 06:10 PM
This thread is 2 and a half years old - way to revive the thread Backdoorslider! :)

I auctually found it interesting they reccomend SGC.

I was so far out of the loop I didn't know anyone used SGC.

Vintagedeputy
11-24-2008, 08:50 PM
SGC is king among true collectors. Not the card flippers on ebay but folks who want an honest appraisal of their card. All of my personal collection is in SGC slabs. I'd never use anyone else.

rickyrocket
05-12-2009, 01:40 PM
Interesting thread! Can anyone tell me their thoughts on getting NON-SPORTS cards graded?

Do non-sports card collectors consider one company "better" (more seasoned, more knowledgeable, more regarded) than another in this area of the hobby?

Another way to put that would be to ask, do collectors prefer one company over another when they look to buy graded non-sports cards?

I am a longtime memorabilia dealer and have been working on an estate with a substantial accumulation of non-sports cards ranging from the late 50's to the mid to late 90's. Should I acquire this collection I would like to have an idea as to what direction to go in with regard to getting many of the cards graded.

Thanks alot!

Rick

Vintagedeputy
05-12-2009, 01:48 PM
Interesting thread! Can anyone tell me their thoughts on getting NON-SPORTS cards graded?

Do non-sports card collectors consider one company "better" (more seasoned, more knowledgeable, more regarded) than another in this area of the hobby?

Another way to put that would be to ask, do collectors prefer one company over another when they look to buy graded non-sports cards?

I am a longtime memorabilia dealer and have been working on an estate with a substantial accumulation of non-sports cards ranging from the late 50's to the mid to late 90's. Should I acquire this collection I would like to have an idea as to what direction to go in with regard to getting many of the cards graded.

Thanks alot!

Rick

Again, SGC is the way to go. You won't be disaapointed.

What kind of non-sports cards do you have?

joelsabi
05-12-2009, 01:49 PM
SGC the toughest graders
Beckett for the new stuff
PSA if you like competition. (see PSA Registry)

David
05-12-2009, 02:02 PM
PSA, SGC and Beckett are all reputable graders.

Beckett is best known for the most modern stuff—ala 2001 rookies, but you will find older cards in their holders, including a few Pre WWI.

SGC specializes in Pre-WWII, but you will also find more modern stuff in their holders.

PSA grades the whole range-- Pre War to inserts--, but is perhaps best known for the ‘Topps era’ stuff.

David
05-12-2009, 02:05 PM
In short, if you have a 1933 Goudey, 1963 Topps Pete Rose Rookie or Jerry Rice Rookie, all three companies can reputably authenticate and grade it. This collector or that will recommend one company over the other for a particular type of card, but all three are capable.

xpress34
05-12-2009, 07:00 PM

It was 1/2 year old when it came back this time Deputy!!! :rolleyes:

joelsabi
02-07-2010, 10:59 AM
Anyone have success with transferring a BGS 9.5 to a PSA 10?

What were the subgrades for centering, corners, edges, and surface? I am wondering if PSA puts more emphasis on a certain subgrade. For example centering has to be a 10. Thanks in advance.

xpress34
02-07-2010, 12:41 PM
Just some FYI:

Currently, any Sports card ca. 1977 and before fall into the VINTAGE category for most dealers.

Me personally - I would NEVER use BGS/BCGG as I find it a great conflict of interest to put out the leading 'guide', while also grading cards AND listing cards that your company grades as more valuable than any other graded cards.

SCG - I have never heard a bad word one about them and - as was stated earlier - they are the KING among Vintage collectors when it comes to grading.

GAI - I didn't even know they ever offered Grading, just authentication services for autographs.

PSA/DNA - I've had my issues (like many others) with them over Autos I personally received from players being sent back as inconclusive, etc while they kept my $100+, BUT after reading this book:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/xpress34/scan0001.jpg
I will NEVER use PSA/DNA or many of the Auction houses named within.

If you want to read the dirt about what goes on, you might rethink what Auction Houses, etc that you trust.

Just my .02

- Chris

P.S. - That being said, I do have a 1951 Berk Ross Panel Set that is slabbed and graded by PSA/DNA, but it was purchased that way. I am considering sending it in to SGC to have the entire set regraded and reslabbed.

joelsabi
02-07-2010, 01:05 PM
Just some FYI:

Currently, any Sports card ca. 1977 and before fall into the VINTAGE category for most dealers.

Me personally - I would NEVER use BGS/BCGG as I find it a great conflict of interest to put out the leading 'guide', while also grading cards AND listing cards that your company grades as more valuable than any other graded cards.

SCG - I have never heard a bad word one about them and - as was stated earlier - they are the KING among Vintage collectors when it comes to grading.

GAI - I didn't even know they ever offered Grading, just authentication services for autographs.

PSA/DNA - I've had my issues (like many others) with them over Autos I personally received from players being sent back as inconclusive, etc while they kept my $100+, BUT after reading this book:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/xpress34/scan0001.jpg
I will NEVER use PSA/DNA or many of the Auction houses named within.

If you want to read the dirt about what goes on, you might rethink what Auction Houses, etc that you trust.

Just my .02

- Chris

P.S. - That being said, I do have a 1951 Berk Ross Panel Set that is slabbed and graded by PSA/DNA, but it was purchased that way. I am considering sending it in to SGC to have the entire set regraded and reslabbed.

The Card is a good read.

What i do know is the a SGC 98 will always transfer to a PSA 10 and a BGS 9.5 does not always transfer to a PSA 10. So I was hoping for other examples from those that collect/deal graded cards and have tried to crossover a card.

chicagoglen
02-08-2010, 04:00 PM
I have been in the graded card game for a long time and hands down no grading company retains value to your card better than PSA.

Now my knowledge is in Topps Sets 1954 - 1969.

I would regularly by SGC cards at greatly depressed prices and crack and submitt to PSA. PSA hands down will get you more $ for your cards.

joelsabi
02-08-2010, 06:07 PM
I have been in the graded card game for a long time and hands down no grading company retains value to your card better than PSA.

Now my knowledge is in Topps Sets 1954 - 1969.

I would regularly by SGC cards at greatly depressed prices and crack and submitt to PSA. PSA hands down will get you more $ for your cards.

Have you ever taken a SGC 96 resubmitted and get a PSA 10? Or what is the lowest grade you have resubmitted to get a PSA 10? thanks in advance.

Anyone with similar crossover from BGS to PSA would be appreciated too.

Regards

Joel

yankees.stub
02-08-2010, 06:10 PM
HI
I WANT TO GET ONE OF MY CARDS GRADED. i WANT TO USE PSA BUT THEY CHARGE SOME MONEY JUST TO GET A SUBMISSION FORM. I WAS WONDERING IF GLOBAL AUTHENTICATION IS A GOOD PLACE TO GET YOUR CARDS GRADED.
THANKS

stay away from global if you can help it.

If anything, go with beckett - a little more affordable.

And worst case scenario, be friendly with your local trading card store - they have business discount with these authenticators. Only if you trust them enough of course.

I have sent couple hundred cards and tickets to be graded by psa via my friend store. Still waiting... have another month or so ....

justinwc80
02-08-2010, 06:35 PM
All the cards I send in now I use SGC. I have had great luck with my large number of 51 Bowman cards and find their customer service top notch. They also have great monthly specials.