PDA

View Full Version : Anybody wear any of your game worn items?

8oh8
03-07-2008, 10:09 PM
The question I am most curious about is if any of you actually wear your memorabilia around (i.e. a jersey) or even tried the stuff on?

AWA85
03-07-2008, 10:23 PM
NO. When it comes to game used items, it just seems more special to think that the player was the only one to wear the item. Might just be me, but think that would ruin an item by wearing it around.

geoff
03-07-2008, 10:48 PM
I hope not.It makes me ill when I think people do wear a Game Used Jersey around like its a retail jersey you can just go out and buy at your local store.

chakes89
03-07-2008, 11:03 PM
I wore my Chris Reitsma GU BP Jersey to a game once

AWA85
03-07-2008, 11:09 PM
Would anyone take their game used bat to the batting cages to hit a few balls? I am somewhat scared to hear these answers.

markfd
03-07-2008, 11:36 PM
I wore my Mike Lamb GU TBTC Washington Senators jersey to the final game at RFK but as a rule no not even in the privacy of my home. As for bats, if they are uncracked sure I swing them a couple of times in my living room but would never hit anything with them.

Mark
-----------------------
Leukemia and Lymphoma Society
Hike for Discovery Program
"Hiking Towards Cures for Blood Cancers"
http://www.active.com/donate/hfdnca04/hfdMDemers1

chakes89
03-08-2008, 01:00 AM
I wore mine because I wanted to represent my favorite player at the time

I don't see the problem with wearing something once that I never plan on selling

zookerman182
03-08-2008, 05:31 AM
funny story....i bought a ricky gutierrez cubs SAM game used bat from elite and it had very light use but i got it for 25 bucks. i was bored one day and decided to take it down to the park and hit with a major league certified bat. It was pretty cool hitting with it and i have been just messing around using it for bp over the past 2 years. It had an autograph and that wore off and the bat is trashed with ink tranfers from all different types of baseballs. I just keep using it because i know it shouldnt ever crack and i love the sound of wooden bats. Now would i take any other game used bat i own and take a few hacks for real? No way jose. But i always take a few cuts at dead air in my room whenever a new bat comes in.

beavisrules
03-08-2008, 08:24 AM
I bought a 1990s Notre Dame game worn home jersey for real cheap off ebay a few years ago - on arrival, I could tell the previous owner had definitely washed the jersey at least a few times. But, it also was a good sized skill cut jersey that fit me well (and I couldn't beat the price) - so rather than complain, I decided to keep it , and use it as my game day jersey to wear. Other than that instance, no, I don't try on or wear the jerseys.

skyking26
03-08-2008, 09:34 AM
I have tried on the Kingman and Thome jerseys momentarily in my sports room to check out the look in a mirror. I would never venture beyond that. These things cost too much money to mess with...

scottanservitz
03-08-2008, 09:40 AM
I have never worn or even tried on any of my jerseys. I do swing my bats from time to time. But they usually stay in their bat case. I did wear a 1991 game worn Michael Jordan jersey about 10 years ago. A very wealthy friend of mine has a great jersey collection. I helped him acquire the Jordan and so when he got it he brought it over for my brother and I to try on. It was really awesome!
Scott

bigtruck260
03-08-2008, 11:11 AM
No way. I'd NEVER wear a jersey...period. As clumsy as I am, something would go horribly wrong.

I am a pretty big guy - 6'2, 260, so not many Cardinals jerseys fit me anyway - other than Sidney Ponson or MAC. So no point really.

I pick up my bats occasionally and go into a stance every now and then when I am in columnist mode for my boxing website...helps me to think.

The main thing is - I smoke occasionally, but DO NOT allow smoke in my home.

Dave

OaklandAsFan
03-08-2008, 11:21 AM
Would anyone take their game used bat to the batting cages to hit a few balls? I am somewhat scared to hear these answers.

I used to swing a Ramon Hernandez BP bat at the cages until I broke it there. Currently if I chose to go to the cages I have a Ben Grieve Sambat that had the slightest of cracks in it from ST a few years back that I taped the handle up real good that I use and I have an Eric Chavez Diablo bat that I use at the cages. Chavy gave me the bat to use for hitting cause I know him from being an A's season ticket holder for so long and I was giving him crap about how thin the handles were on the bat and he said they are great and give him a better feel during the swing and he gave me a new one right from the box and told me to try it.

AWA85
03-08-2008, 12:16 PM
I agree if you never plan on selling the item go ahead and do what you want with it. Maybe it just gets to me because I wouldn't want to think a jersey I just purchased was worn around by some other guy.

bubbrubb25
03-08-2008, 01:34 PM
I wore my Chris Reitsma GU BP Jersey to a game once
Really???? Well hopefully if you sell you be honest and you mention you wore it also.

bubbrubb25
03-08-2008, 01:53 PM
I agree if you never plan on selling the item go ahead and do what you want with it. Maybe it just gets to me because I wouldn't want to think a jersey I just purchased was worn around by some other guy.
But sometimes you think your not going to sell something and you run into money trubbles or what ever it is and then you have a jersey also worn by some average joe.....

frikativ54
03-08-2008, 01:58 PM
But sometimes you think your not going to sell something and you run into money trubbles or what ever it is and then you have a jersey also worn by some average joe.....

That's what I'm thinking myself. What is one day our treasure is the next day expendable when we find something better.

And I think most of us consider it gross to buy say a Jeff Bagwell jersey and have John Q. Public wearing it around his house.

I would hope that those of you who wear your jerseys would think twice when you sell them. Full disclosure, please.

sportsbaron
03-08-2008, 03:17 PM
http://home.comcast.net/~baronfamily1/images/BluesNicole.JPG

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

gingi79
03-08-2008, 04:36 PM
Maybe it just gets to me because I wouldn't want to think a jersey I just purchased was worn around by some other guy.

Sorry sir, I'd be willing to bet the overall majority (90% +) of items purchased from private collectors/eBay/Auction Houses were worn by their previous owners after the athlete. In fact I now expect that when I buy them, unless it is from the team, it was worn by the person I bought it from.

I broke my collection into only 2 groups. The ones I will never sell and the ones I may one day sell. In the "never going to sell" pile, I have only 5 jerseys and I wear them for special occasions but never around food, children or in weather that may cause me to sweat, etc.

The "maybe I'll sell" pile is nicely folded in large ziplock bags and put away in large plastic tubs to accrue value until someone who wants them more comes along.

For those collectors who collect to cherish their items as something only the athlete wore, I would suggest sticking to Team Auctions, MeiGray and those companies who sell Game Worn materials they receive only from the team.

Otherwise, sorry to tell you as someone who sells on eBay and other auction houses, no one who is trying to make the most money possible is going to disclose wearing the shirt themselves. It's wrong and deceitful but it's also human nature. I may sounds cynical but if anyone really believes only the athlete wore the jersey you just bought on eBay, you are fooling yourself.

frikativ54
03-08-2008, 04:54 PM
Otherwise, sorry to tell you as someone who sells on eBay and other auction houses, no one who is trying to make the most money possible is going to disclose wearing the shirt themselves. It's wrong and deceitful but it's also human nature. I may sounds cynical but if anyone really believes only the athlete wore the jersey you just bought on eBay, you are fooling yourself.

Where is your evidence? Why should we believe your assertion?

chakes89
03-08-2008, 05:35 PM
Really???? Well hopefully if you sell you be honest and you mention you wore it also.

Yes I did

Even if I were to sell it one day, I doubt it would pull in that much anyway

Its not like I wore a Babe Ruth jersey around

OaklandAsFan
03-08-2008, 05:41 PM
Yes I did

on that note here is a hypothetical for you guys... The ruth gamer that Boomer bought and wore during a Yanks game a few years back, do you think that increased, decreased or didn't affect the price of that hat??

otismalibu
03-08-2008, 06:34 PM
I've got a late 80s Sixers warmup jacket that I've worn on a couple of occasions. By the looks of the markered tag, it's been more by a few players. I have no intention of selling it, but I doubt that me wearing it a couple of times would hurt the value if I sold it. Not exactly a big ticket item.

I see gamers being sold on here for considerably less than the retail price of a M&N replica. There's game worn stuff that fetches 6 figures and game worn stuff you can give away. Obviously, some stuff is 'wearable', some stuff is not.

Forever_24
03-08-2008, 06:46 PM
I might be alone on this one but I most definitely would/did but hear me out......

I started collecting sneakers in '89 and have been a Griffey fan just as long. I acquired a pair of Griffey-Issued Nike sneakers and I'm very proud to say that I have worn them a couple times.

By the way, first post.:)

both-teams-played-hard
03-08-2008, 06:48 PM

Did you know that American Memorabilia has a catalog available on the Vegas "strip"?

reed1216
03-08-2008, 07:11 PM
#22 (http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showpost.php?p=75592&postcount=22)
http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/images/statusicon/post_new.gif Today, 03:41 PM
OaklandAsFan (http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/member.php?u=2186) http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/images/statusicon/user_offline.gif

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/images/icons/icon1.gif Re: wearing your sports memorabilia
Quote:
Originally Posted by chakes89 http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?p=75591#post75591)
Yes I did

on that note here is a hypothetical for you guys... The ruth gamer that Boomer bought and wore during a Yanks game a few years back, do you think that increased, decreased or didn't affect the price of that hat??

In the case of the Ruth hat the Wells wore, I would say it decreased the value, but not as much as it would have if Boomer's son wore it in a high school game. The publicity surrounding Wells and his wearing the hat does seem to have some historical significance. I would prefer my game worn items not to have been used by others, but if the Ruth hat was documented as being the one Wells wore, I would have less of an issue with that. Of course, at that point, I would consider it as a game worn Ruth hat, also worn by Boomer.

frikativ54
03-08-2008, 07:45 PM
Did you know that American Memorabilia has a catalog available on the Vegas "strip"?

Now there's a non sequitur.

both-teams-played-hard
03-08-2008, 08:24 PM
Now there's a non sequitur.
Actually, my quote is on topic and has everything to do with this thread. American Memorabilia used models to "pose" in baseball artifacts. Just do a search on this forum.

gingi79
03-08-2008, 11:17 PM

www.gamewornjerseys.com
www.gameworn.net

Both of these sites deal with mostly game worn hockey but the majority of the members claim to wear their jerseys at one time or another.

Also, every game I have been to in recent memory has had fans wearing obvious game worn jerseys. So much so that I have began talking about jerseys and collecting with different people at random.

The pregame show for the Super Bowl had a kid wearing a game worn Giants jersey in the background behind Jimmie Johnson. I know it was game worn because he had two tremendous bubbles on the shoulders where they had once covered pads. I'm betting there is video of it on youtube.

In the 15 years since I started collected jerseys (replica to authentic to game worn as my cash flow and their availability increased) I have seen a tremendous influx of people with easy access to game worn materials wearing them publicly. With the easy access, less and less collectors are getting these shirts and putting them away or simply displaying them and more and more of them are showing up at Games.

Here is my little story. My friend got a Yankees game worn pinstripe jersey from the early 80's on eBay for $100 including shipping. Someone posted in this thread that there are many game worn jerseys available cheaper than M&N. I will take that one step further. MLB jerseys of star players are available for $200. Everyone has a Yankees Jeter jersey at the Stadium. Only one guy has a game worn 1980's #33 jersey though and it cost half the price of the Jeter authentic. The prices have become so low and there are so many game worns available that they are become the more economic choice for many fans.

frikativ54
03-09-2008, 12:36 AM
www.gamewornjerseys.com (http://www.gamewornjerseys.com)
www.gameworn.net (http://www.gameworn.net)

Both of these sites deal with mostly game worn hockey but the majority of the members claim to wear their jerseys at one time or another.

Also, every game I have been to in recent memory has had fans wearing obvious game worn jerseys. So much so that I have began talking about jerseys and collecting with different people at random.

Those are definitely hockey sites, devoid of information about Major League Baseball. I would really like to know how many of you here have actually worn a game-used jersey. I guess I understand if you try it on once, but to actually wear it kind of ruins the value, especially for me. I don't want a jersey that my Mom had her last hot flash in. I want a jersey worn by a Houston Astros player only.

G1X
03-09-2008, 01:49 AM
Speaking strictly from my personal observations and experiences as both a collector and dealer for most of the past 33 years, I have to agree with many of the points made by gingi79. There are a number of collectors who buy from me who are just as much concerned if a jersey will fit them as they are with the authenticity. Some make no bones to me that they plan to wear the jersey, and I firmly believe that many others probably wear them as well but never mention it in conversations.

The point gingi79 makes about a common jersey being less expensive than a store-bought replica rings especially true with folks looking for a jersey to wear. Time and again I have heard that comment from collectors who prefer to buy a low-priced common instead of a well-made replica that might cost twice as much. They are looking for a jersey to wear, so why pay over $200 when they can get the "real deal" for a lot less, especially if they care more about the team the jersey represents than the player's name on back?

If it is a deal-breaker that someone else might have worn the jersey, then stick to buying directly from teams, NFL or MLB Auctions, or dealers who obtain items directly from the teams as mentioned in a previous post. But if you are buying from the secondary market (other collectors, ebay, most items in auctions, etc.), there is the possibility that it has been worn by someone along the way.

As for me, I don't really care. If someone has a World Football League, Atlanta Falcons, or old durene football jersey that I want to add to my collection, I could not care less if someone else wore it a few times. I accept that as a reality in collecting game-used items. In my experiences, I have found that a collector wearing a jersey really doesn't affect the value unless they have damaged the jersey.

If someone wants to wear a jersey, it's their jersey to do with it as they wish. This hobby supposed to be fun, and for many, wearing a jersey to a ball game or around the house on Sunday afternoon is what makes it fun.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

commando
03-09-2008, 01:15 PM
I think the problem would be if someone wore the jersey enough to show noticeable wear, whether through several washings or piling, sleeve thread fraying, etc... Placing extra wear on jerseys after it enters private ownership in a huge problem if that jersey ever re-enters the market. There's a Donovan McNabb Eagles jersey for sale on this site as we speak that may fit this category. A collector may have no intention of reselling the jersey today, but may very well change his mind tomorrow. Unfortunately, the wear cannot be reversed.

I am not against the wearing of game used jerseys by their current owners... I would say though that they should choose their occasions very wisely and infrequently. If you add wear to an item then resell it, you are no better than a seller who did the same thing with fraud in mind, in my opinion (unless you say in your description how many times you wore it, washed it, and the exact wear that resulted from it).

both-teams-played-hard
03-09-2008, 02:30 PM
My cynnical side has something to say. Who wants a stranger coming up to you and saying: "that's a cool jersey. Is that a real player jersey? You like the Mudhens? Well, I like the Mudhens. Maybe we should get together and discuss their pitching prospects." Or better yet, will you sell it? How much? How do you know it's real?
Damn dude...leave me alone, I'm trying to watch the game.
Trying on a jersey or wearing it around the house is not the same as exposing your gamer to the elements (ie. Nacho cheese sauce, Bud Dry, etc.)
And to all you single guys: Nobody has ever picked up a girl while wearing excessive sports garb. Keep it simple. Nice shirt and khakis.

AWA85
03-09-2008, 02:52 PM
But if you do find a girl that is into excessive game used items or items being worn such as jerseys, HANG ON TO HER. That is a winner in my book.

mchmaj
03-09-2008, 03:17 PM
Placing extra wear on jerseys after it enters private ownership in a huge problem if that jersey ever re-enters the market. There's a Donovan McNabb Eagles jersey for sale on this site as we speak that may fit this category. A collector may have no intention of reselling the jersey today, but may very well change his mind tomorrow. Unfortunately, the wear cannot be reversed.
i am the owner of the McNabb jersey, it is not GAME WORN but it is game ISSUED. Yes i have to agree with you that someone else worn this jersey before it was sold to me. I dont mind because i will wear it myself....McNabb is Syracuse Alumni so that even better to add to my syracuse collection. It will not hurt the value, it is already game issued (matching 2001 eagles game jerseys specifics such as berlin, wisc wash tag, sleeves customized, tagged inside collar 01-50 and reebok size tagging with white flag size 50 and if i wanted to sell it and i will sell it as GAME ISSUED.

For other jerseys i have in my collection, for example, 1981 joe montana white game used jersey, I WILL NEVER WEAR IT ! i do have jerseys that i can wear and others i cannot wear ! Football game jerseys today is harder to wear because they are getting smaller and smaller. For the baseball and basketball, they are much easier to wear and if i have any high value jerseys i will not wear them but only to display !
marcus

gingi79
12-15-2008, 03:14 PM
I read through a lot of this forum and make notes of certain interesting comments and "side conversations" which develop but aren't fully discussed. I normally take some time to form an opinion and then decide whether posting it for discussion will benefit the community or my morbid sense of curiosity.

While reading through the Fake Kobe jersey thread, the topic I listed in the title was briefly touched on again. (I realize this topic has be discussed before but I really think it should be re-hashed again) What follows are my Opinions. Therefore please take them with a grain of salt. I would very much appreciate some honest feedback and opinions. Also I would specifically appreciate if we can suspend any personal gripes and keep this thread on topic because we can all learn something.

In my house right now are a reasonably large number of authentic, replica and game used jerseys. I have been a collector for over 15 years and have always found pleasure in owning the jersey of my favorite players. As a kid I wore my Dan Marino Authentic jersey at least once a week and I remember wearing my Authentic Pavel Bure Canucks jersey through the 1994 Stanley Cup Playoffs every other day.

As I got older and the internet became what it is today, access to authentic game used material has become tremendous. Looking through the Classifieds of this site alone, there are bats of current superstars, jerseys and helmets from years gone by and every sport has been represented in GUU Auctions.

That being said I would argue that unless you purchase an item from MeiGray or see the player take the shirt off and hand it to you, the odds are, someone else has at least tried it on. I say this because I have seen at hockey games several gamers in the crowd and similarly at Shea Stadium, a friend purchase a game worn jersey and wear it the next time I saw him. While these are only 2 examples, I am sure if you look close enough you can find people in your community doing the same thing.

For those purist who say they should never be worn, I see your point. Go back to the Kobe thread and look at the picture of the 3 girls wearing shirts. I would argue that (while very appealing especially since I have never liked seeing a T.O. jersey so much before) is more "added wear" than the collector wearing his Bryant shirt to wear poker. My reasoning is, those women take excellent care of themselves, wear purfumes, body creams and MAKEUP for the shoot. As much as I don't want to smell sweat in my house from some 400 pound Dolphins lineman, I certainly don't want it smelling like CK one with a makeup stain!

However, I don a gamer now and again but I have strict rules for doing so. Not all my shirts are worn and if I want to "flip" them or plan to sell them in the future, I simply fold them professionally and put them away until such time as I will sell them.

1) I don't put them in the washing machine. If they must be cleaned it's Dry Clean Only. This does not result in "increased wear, increased puckering, etc" It also keeps the marks from the player intact.

2) I don't wear them to work-out in. This includes any exercise, sports, excessive walking etc.

3) I will not wear them around children or people who don't respect them. In other words, if I am going to a buddies house and he thinks it's weird that I collect gamers, then I don't wear them there. If you don't realize these items are valuable and don't appreciate them, you won't take precautions to prevent "accidents".

4) I don't eat in them, nap in them, or wear them all day. Strictly for events where they will spark conversation or inquiry as I love to talk to people about the hobby.

5) I only wear gamers which are not for sale.

Number 5 leads us to a talk on the economy and how we all need extra money now and never say never etc. I am saying never because I spent too long looking for the gamers I collect. I spent a lot of time at jobs I hated to acquire them and they are only of my favorite teams and players. While I agree that I cannot definatively say I will never sell them, I would rather enjoy them and have to disclose that they were wore a few times than just stare at them on my wall.

In conclusion, I respect a person's right to purchase a jersey and put it in a nice display case. I also respect the fact that it might take a ton of overtime at a job you may hate to afford a jersey that means something to you. With all that hard work, you may feel wearing it makes you happy. With the recent gas crisis, layoffs and hard times you may need that small happiness.

By the way, I do not wear authentic jerseys. I have a bunch which will be listed for sale this week, with tags attached, never worn, which I purchased in a bulk lot for autograph shows that I never attended. Also some game worns which I haven't ever worn :D They are going cheap and with a free replica jersey for every two jerseys purchased, you might find 3 great holiday gifts. Email me for a list, (No items will conflict with the collector classifieds) or to discuss the hobby. I love unsolicited emails about the hobby!

Matt Nachamkin
Gingi79@aol.com

kingjammy24
12-15-2008, 03:22 PM
in retrospect, maybe i was wrong about wearing gamers. i decided to give it a go. here i am at the MGM wearing my 1934 babe ruth uniform. i managed to get some great offers! it was well worth the pain of walking around the Strip in cleats.

http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/2839/venetiangn2.jpg

rudy.

helmets
12-15-2008, 03:29 PM
Rudy - You're killing me.
Weren't you afraid to stretch the crotch of those pants by stradling the chair backwords like that?

Jags Fan Dan
12-15-2008, 03:37 PM
Touchy subject with alot of strong feelings from members here both ways. I guess I am in the group that feels that if you bought, it's yours, do what you want with it. The way you enjoy this or any other hobby is going to be largely personal and I don't think anyone can really say that there is a right way or a wrong way. Do you collect game used for the nostalgia? To feel more connected to the players/game? To show team pride? As an investment? Some combination of all of these, or an entirely different reason(s)? The answers to these questions will likely influence what you collect and how you handle your game used items.

That said, I don't wear game used jerseys. The only way I would is if it was a very cheap one that I would be willing to treat like I would any other piece of clothing I own. I HAVE worn one pair of game used receiving gloves that I own in back yard football games, but they are "player-unknown" and relatively without value, other than they help me catch a football better than the rest of my friends, especially in the cold weather:D .

The only time I would really take offense to someone wearing something game used is if it was a piece that should be in a museum and they just have enough money that they do not respect/or care about the piece for what it is. To me, that would be like putting a Honus Wagner T206 card in your bike spokes.

But then, I thought it was kind of cool when David Wells wore the Babe Ruth hat to pitch in a game. Is that different? I guess to me it is, to others I bet it isn't.

mariner_gamers
12-15-2008, 03:52 PM
Jammy the Ruth bit is money!! I admit I laughed out loud.

Card companies have been chewing up so much vintage stuff for so long and people keep buying packs so it must not matter to the masses. I have worn gamers to special events in the past because I own it and I can. Nowadays so many people want to know every minute of a jersey or bats life I find it exhausting. If you see it, you know your stuff and you like what you see buy it. If not save your scratch and find something else YOU feel comfortable purchasing.

That is my $1.63.......

Davis

chakes89
12-15-2008, 03:53 PM
I wear my Chris Reitsma BP jersey to games

AWA85
12-15-2008, 04:01 PM
I am wearing my Jay Bruce game used home jersey right now, trying to figure out how to get this spaghetti stain out of it though :confused: Any ideas Chris?

Dewey2007
12-15-2008, 04:22 PM
This is pretty topical since I recently purchased a jersey that was worn by the seller on a couple of occasions. I didn't have any issue with it since the seller freely admitted to wearing it prior to the sale and to the fact that he never washed it. He seemed sincere about it so I went ahead with the deal. I have no idea how I would have ever known he had worn it anyhow if he hadn't mentioned it. Maybe if there was an unmistakable mustard stain or something like that but other then the obvious you can never really tell. I definitely factored his wearing the jersey into my offer price though.

Personally, I have never worn any of my game used jerseys although I have been tempted on a couple of occasions to try one on. I don't wear jerseys anymore anyway. I always found it a little funny to see adult men in jerseys at games anyway and I always laugh when I see people with their jerseys tucked in or worn over collared shirts but that's just me.

I'm definitely in the camp that says "you paid for it so do what you like with it" but have the ethics and courtesy of full disclosure of wearing a jersey if you are trying to sell it. Especially if you have washed it or there had been some sort of accident while wearing it.

skyking26
12-15-2008, 04:31 PM
As is any topic, we all have our own feelings. I think it is wrong for an auction house to have supermodels wearing expensive gamers in their catalog. I only look at them because I'm looking at the girl.

Any gamer I obtain is never worn but displayed on a mannequin of in a case to admire. I personally sweat like a pig and that does not need to be transferred to the item. We can't control what others do with theirs, so when you buy a gamer keep that in mind.

Years ago, I remember buying a GU Kingman bat uncracked. When it arrived it was cracked. I sent it back after the seller admitted his brother went out and whacked a few with it and broke it...

RK

chakes89
12-15-2008, 05:22 PM
I am wearing my Jay Bruce game used home jersey right now, trying to figure out how to get this spaghetti stain out of it though :confused: Any ideas Chris?
You must have it out on loan from the Reds HOF and Museum

BAHAHAHAHAHA

kingjammy24
12-15-2008, 06:38 PM
i remember when i first started out in vegas. i tried to sell all my stuff at once. here's me during one of my early outings on a blistering summer day:

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/2060/silly2xn3.jpg

eventually i took a page out of AMI's book and figured it was easier just to let a couple of the local girls walk around with my jerseys. after all, i figured they're out there all day long.

http://img399.imageshack.us/img399/4350/sillyks9.jpg

rudy.

otismalibu
12-15-2008, 06:47 PM
Working girl wearing a Manning jersey? That might be Crying Game red flag.

That Asian salad is tossed, correct?

otismalibu
12-15-2008, 06:51 PM
And to answer the OP...

I've got a 76ers warmup jacket that I've worn a couple of times. There are a few numbers that have been markered over on the tag, so there's no way to know which scrub player wore it. It was cheaper than the M&N replica. First gamer I ever bought. No intention of selling it.

I don't wear the Dr. J. game shoes. Tissue paper is all that goes in them. No feet.

dcrules01
12-15-2008, 06:59 PM
Does thr Dr J sneakers smell :D

Ive never worn any of my gamers of course I started basing my collection on late 70's early 80's Mets gamers and I would never fit into a 42 or 44 lol//

both-teams-played-hard
12-15-2008, 07:01 PM
Personally, I have never worn any of my game used jerseys although I have been tempted on a couple of occasions to try one on. I don't wear jerseys anymore anyway. I always found it a little funny to see adult men in jerseys at games anyway and I always laugh when I see people with their jerseys tucked in or worn over collared shirts but that's just me.

Dewey
It's not just you. I feel the same way.
If it's not a museum piece; then wearing a jersey is cool. But, I'm a khakis/t-shirt type. Poly/nylon blends are constricting.
I like sneakers also, but I don't have boxes and boxes "on ice". Different strokes...different folks. Have any of you single dudes met a woman while wearing a jersey?

otismalibu
12-15-2008, 07:02 PM
Does thr Dr J sneakers smell

The 2nd pair must have been stored in moth balls for years. Took some time to air them out.

It's been almost 30 years, so the literal and figurative funk is long gone.

Skillz
02-05-2009, 10:33 PM
Shorts, jerseys, sneakers, etc?

outlaw16511
02-05-2009, 10:38 PM
I have a couple of Russian game worn hockey jersey I wear only because I got them for 25 dollars a piece. Those are the only jerseys in my hockey collection I wear.

WadeInBmore
02-05-2009, 10:49 PM
Sometimes, especially now being unemployeed and given that Frank Thomas is a free agent, I dress in his 2002 uniform, put on his cleats, batting gloves, wristbands, fielding glove, hat, and I carry around a lvs of his and tramp around my house yelling "I'm Frank Thomas, please hire me for next season...please...anyone?"

j/k, I wouldn't bring myself to do it...although I have heard of some people on this forum doing it. Its just not my bag of tea.

wade

cjw
02-05-2009, 11:37 PM
Sometimes, especially now being unemployeed and given that Frank Thomas is a free agent, I dress in his 2002 uniform, put on his cleats, batting gloves, wristbands, fielding glove, hat, and I carry around a lvs of his and tramp around my house yelling "I'm Frank Thomas, please hire me for next season...please...anyone?"

j/k, I wouldn't bring myself to do it...although I have heard of some people on this forum doing it. Its just not my bag of tea.

wade

I buy common 1980's MLB gamers in my size to wear to games. I like the pullover jerseys and am not into the current button up style. I wouldn;t wear a Hank Aaron gamer for example.

xpress34
02-06-2009, 12:44 AM
I have worn all of my Game Used Jerseys at one point or another... I usually make it a point NOT to wear them after they have been signed.

Two exceptions are my Jeff Baker 2007 GU BP Jersey that he signed at Spring Training 2008:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/xpress34/Memorabilia/Jerseys/BakerBP1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/xpress34/Memorabilia/Jerseys/BakerBP2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/xpress34/Memorabilia/Jerseys/BakerBP3.jpg

And my 2004 Garrett Atkins GU Colorado Springs Sky Sox 'Stars & Stripes' July 4th Jersey:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/xpress34/Memorabilia/Jerseys/AtkinsSkySox1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/xpress34/Memorabilia/Jerseys/AtkinsSkySox2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/xpress34/Memorabilia/Jerseys/AtkinsSkySox3.jpg

Although the Atkins only gets worn once in a blue moon now due to him slowly becoming a better known player...

I have also been know to wear GU hats - in fact, I have one I bought just to wear:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/xpress34/Memorabilia/Hats/HirshGUWSHat.jpg

That's Jason Hirsh's GU from the 2007 WS. Since he was still on the DL, he never actually played in the WS, but he did wear the hat in the dugout. I purchased it from the Rockies dugout store because 1) it was my (7 5/8) and 2) it was $25 for a GU w/ LOA vs $35 for a new 'Game Style' off the shelf!!!

- Chris

Lokee
02-06-2009, 01:48 AM
The only jersey's I ever wear are hockey gamers. I have a Montreal Canadiens Craig Rivet I have worn to a Canucks VS Habs game. I have also been known to buy AHL jersey's to wear. Never football or baseball.

jonincleve
02-06-2009, 08:12 AM
wouldn't even think about it :)

take care
john

ironmanfan
02-06-2009, 08:50 AM
My teen-aged sons have worn game worn common Orioles jerseys to games @ Camden Yards

ndevlin
02-06-2009, 12:05 PM
You guys should list your email and Ebay user name so that I will never buy jerseys from you guys.

uhgrad2002
02-06-2009, 12:17 PM
I wear some, especially to sporting events. Sometimes I even try to match the Cleveland Indians jersey style to what the team will wear that day. When the University of Akron played its final season at the Rubber Bowl this past year, I wore a different year jersey to each game in tribute to the history there. I have found though that the older jerseys (1970's Indians, 1960's Browns) size 42 or so are too small and I am only 180 pounds.

The jerseys I wear are usually ones that did not cost a lot, though for a special occasion I would consider wearing an expensive one. First amd foremost I get them because I want to enjoy them.

suave1477
02-06-2009, 12:17 PM
You guys should list your email and Ebay user name so that I will never buy jerseys from you guys.

I AGREE!!

I WOULD NEVER WEAR A GAME USED JERSEY.

I AM JUST CURIOUS TO ASK THE MEMBERS WHO SAY THEY WEAR THERES ALL THE TIME OR ONCE AND A WHILE OR JUST WEAR THEM PERIOD.

Hypothetical Question
When you decide at some point down the road you want to sell maybe these items whether to clear space or maybe you need a few extra bucks, How would you list your Jersey??

Game Used & Me Used Jersey?????

flaco1801
02-06-2009, 12:30 PM
dont wear them... keep them unwashed in your closet......

geoff
02-06-2009, 01:10 PM
I would never wear a Game Used Jersey.I just think it is wrong to do.But if you own a item you can do what ever you want with it.

Thanks
Geoff

Rob L
02-06-2009, 01:55 PM
Generally, no, most of mine go on display on the walls of my office. However, I did by a ST gamer specifically to wear.

cjw
02-06-2009, 02:45 PM
I AGREE!!

I AM JUST CURIOUS TO ASK THE MEMBERS WHO SAY THEY WEAR THERES ALL THE TIME OR ONCE AND A WHILE OR JUST WEAR THEM PERIOD.

Hypothetical Question
When you decide at some point down the road you want to sell maybe these items whether to clear space or maybe you need a few extra bucks, How would you list your Jersey??

The jerseys I wear are likely to earn $60-150 from any resale, in the best of markets. If I ever sell one, it will be described correctly and I am sure that at that price, the buyers will be looking to do much the same as I did with it (unless there are people looking for specific, cup-of-coffee players jerseys, and if so, they would be difficult enought to find, that if a little Chris-sweat causes me to lose my meager investments..I will be surprised.

Jake51
02-06-2009, 04:07 PM
An equally important reason not to wear your gamers....you could look like this! [may take a few beers to get the look exactly right!:D ]

Vintagedeputy
02-06-2009, 04:29 PM
Strictly a personal opinion here but I dont wear mine and wouldnt want one worn around town by someone other than the player. It kind of takes the "game used" out of it and adds a "wore it to the grocery store, baby spit up on it and it smells like cigarette smoke" thing to it.

gingi79
02-06-2009, 05:19 PM
I normally wear my Mickey Mantle game worn when I am burping newborns at the maternity wing.

I had to stop wearing my Dan Marino photomatched Super Bowl jersey after two weeks of fiestas in Mexico. Apparently you can sweat like a pig and throw up at the same time.

I also enjoy taking swings at the local batting range with every one of complete set of 500 home run hitter bats. I usually do this after smoking two packs of cigarettes in a small, non-ventilated room. Lucky for me, I also store most of my collection outside, right next to a fish market.

Now if you are reading this and thinking "Jesus, this guy is an ass. What a stupid thing to say!", then you know exactly how I feel when this question is asked.

I would argue that unless we are talking about an item that should be in a museum, someone other than the player has worn it. This could be to a Super Bowl party, a live game or while watching one on TV. See those items on eBay? They have been worn by collectors. All of them. Whether it is just once to know what it is like to wear their hero's jersey or in one of the situations I outlined above. Go to ANY major sporting event and you will see game worns in the crowd. Hardly ever see one with "added wear" unless the seller does it to increase the price or mustard stains. I've rarely heard of a story of something dripping on a game worn either. I think it's silly to think wear and usage is added to a shirt simply by wearing it to one of the above mentioned places.

Now I realize that there are collectors on this site and others who feel this is terrible. You may even think I am exaggerating. You may become enraged and feel that people who wear these shirts are somehow damaging them. You are more than welcome to that opinion and I can see how this is a logical and in many cases correct way to feel.

But you won't change anyone's opinion, just like I won't change yours. That's ok, we can agree to disagree.

However, collectors like ndevlin and Suave1477 (collectors who I don't know but whose posts have been enjoyable to read) are the precise reason why this thread will not get honest responses. He asks for
"[Collectors to] list your email and Ebay user name so that I will never buy jerseys from you."

Well, my eBay user name is LongIslandDale_Jrfan and my email address is the same as my username here. I doubt you will get many more responses as honest as mine because I won't be selling anything I am wearing and most people don't want to be blamed or penalized for doing what every other seller has done. If you feel like you are "weeding out" those collectors who have worn their gamers after the player you can start with my name and end when you finish blocking 90%+ of the other collectors.

I'm all for honesty and integrity. If you (and by you I mean any collector) want to sit back and think I am rare and wrong for wearing MY shirt, then don't bid on my eBay stuff and don't buy my stuff on this site. I can respect that. I disagree with you and think it's nieve of you to believe you are getting a jersey only a player wore. However, I would make the friendly suggestion of purchasing items only from companys like MeiGray or the team themselves.

Ironically, because I want to sell stuff here in the future, the items I list are authentics and some gamers I purchased to flip. These have not been worn. You can believe me or not but considering how honest this thread has been, I can't see why we couldn't work out a deal in the future.

In closing I will throw one more question out for the crowd. Wou;dn't you rather concern yourself with the fact that the jersey is an unaltered authentic game worn piece worn by the player and then once or twice by a collector rather than a fake?

(Sorry about the italics, they just won't go away)

Jags Fan Dan
02-06-2009, 05:43 PM
I do not have any gamers that I wear, but I will after my birthday as my wife got me a Mike Stanton 2007 Reds cool base spring training used jersey that I will wear. Let's face it, it's a $42 jersey. It is far from ever being a museum piece. I would never wear a piece that I thought myself or others would ever deem significant in any fashion. That's juts me.

Lokee
02-06-2009, 06:00 PM
I AGREE!!

Hypothetical Question

HONESTLY

I would never sell any of my pieces from my personal collection. I think besides the Rivet one all the others are common jersey's cost between 100 to 200 that I have worn. None are for sale and could not really see selling any in the future. My family is pretty well off and I come from old money.

xpress34
02-06-2009, 08:09 PM
Gingi -

I totally agree with you.

As I said earlier, YES, I have put on every GU jersey I have owned at least once - not necessarily worn it out of the house - but I did want to feel what it was like to have it on.

My Matt Holliday jersey (Spring 2000 - his 1st MLB Jersey) was originally bought to be a jersey to wear to games (I only paid $110 DLVD for it in 2002), but after Matt's star started to rise quickly, the jersey has stayed put either on a hanger or on a mannequin - and NO, I have never spilt anything on it...

My Garrett Atkins 'Stars & Stripes' Jersey (pics a few posts back) has only been worn to July 4th games and then put away in my bag (inside a plastic bag) before Game Time. Again, no spills or such...

My Larry Walker 1997 Gamer (from his MVP Season and inscribed as such) has only been worn by me at the house once and has been on a hanger or a mannequin since as well.

My Helton Gamer is personalized to me, so yes, I have worn it a few times - again, not during games but to Special Rockies events and such. I'm sure my wearing it (unless I spill on it) will have no real effect if I sell it due to it being personalized - unless the buyer happens to be named Chris.

The GU I usually wear (as I said before) is my Jeff Baker 2007 BP Jersey that my wife got me for XMas 2007 for $50 at the Rockies DugOut store and Jeff signed it last year at Spring Training. It was inexpensive and it's cool base, so it breathes well...

As far as GU hats, I don't wear either of my Holliday GU hats (2005 and 2007 WS) even though Matt is my hat size (7 5/8), but I do wear my Vinny Castilla GU BP Hat (stretch fit) and my GU (actually Game Worn) Jason Hirsh 2007 WS hat (Sz 7 5/8) because I have $11.00 into the Castilla (it was already missing the button from the crown when I got it) plus my time to get it signed - and I have $25 into the Hirsh... $10 cheaper than an off the rack WS hat...

As was stated earlier, it is my choice whether to wear it or not, but I would not wear a potential Museum item.

Like my Yankees KM Pro hat that was very well discussed and debated in another thread - while I am sure it is not a Mantle Gamer, it is a Vintage Yankees KM Pro and I would not wear it due to the fact it is still a VINTAGE piece.

If I sell an item (on eBay or here or wherever), I am very honest about where it came from, LOAs / Letters of Provenance and whether or not I have worn it at all or not.

I personally have no problem buying a GU item that another collector or previous owner has worn as long as it has been documented and LOAs / COAs / etc are provided.

That said, I'll ask a different question here - because I have been on both ends of this 'conundrum'... would you buy a GU piece that has a SCANNED copy of the LOA as Provenance?

Before you answer - here is why I ask. I do own a 2003 Brian Banks GU Black Marlins Jersey (the LOA was a Color Copy - supposedly because the 'no namers' were sold in a bulk lot)... I have since verified the Jersey as Authentic (I only have $35 into it) but it is being transformed into a Josh Beckett 2003 WS jersey (for display ONLY) as I already have a #2 signed by Beckett, so I wasn't too concerned about that LOA.

BUT, I have (and have had) a LOT of GU Rockies jerseys over the years and I got into the habit of SCANNING all of my LOAs / COAs for insurance purposes in case of a fire/flood, etc... welllllll, a couple of years ago I was working on some stuff in the basement and left a file box on the floor while we went to dinner. Came home and a pipe had burst - not real deep water or real bad flooding - and had soaked the file box and some of my COAs / LOAs (I now put them all in Top Loaders and Plastic bags)... like most teams, the Rockies are 'unable to verify subsequent sales to 3rd parties' and therefore, can not and will not replace the destroyed COAs / LOAs.

I have scans for the items thats COAs were destroyed (the one that hurt the most was the Original for my walker jersey).

I would have to guess that like most things in this hobby you would have to make you own decision based on eBay feedback/ratings, other baords, etc.

I would be interested to hear opinions on this....

Also, what about Jerseys taht do not come with COAs/LOAs??? Example is my Garrett Atkins jersey. On the last day of the 2004 Season, the Sky Sox sold all the 'Stars and Stripes' jerseys in the team dugout store but they only took the names of the buyers in a spiral notebook... thoughts?

- Chris

jetersbatboy
02-06-2009, 08:36 PM
Man, you guys that wear out you GU jersey are sick!!!!! Leave them in the display where they belong!!! I am out here, going to take my Ichiro GU bat down to the batting cages and hit balls!!!;) Yea Right, No way in hell I would do that.

I Really think if you bought it, its yours to do as you please...But wearing it wouldn't be my cup of tea.... FLAUNT IT IF YOU GOT IT!!!!

dcgreg25
02-06-2009, 10:30 PM
Personally, I never wear any of my game used jerseys from my collection....just never really had the urge to. I guess I could see wearing something that you pick up at a fanfest on a rack of common jerseys with NNOB, etc.

At the end of the day, its your jersey, its your call. However, I do cringe when I think of someone slipping on a high-end game used jersey of my favorite player and wearing it to the game or the mall. I think it has something to do with how much I enjoy my collection and the level of care I put into my jerseys. Not saying what anybody else should or shouldn't do, just my opinion and how I handle my jerseys.

Mr.3000
02-06-2009, 10:51 PM

THANK YOU.

I'm glad to see who does and who doesn't do this. I'll be sure to never buy a game used item from those who believe it's ok to wear their game used stuff.

xpress34
02-06-2009, 11:24 PM
Man, you guys that wear out you GU jersey are sick!!!!! Leave them in the display where they belong!!! I am out here, going to take my Ichiro GU bat down to the batting cages and hit balls!!!;) Yea Right, No way in hell I would do that.

I Really think if you bought it, its yours to do as you please...But wearing it wouldn't be my cup of tea.... FLAUNT IT IF YOU GOT IT!!!!

Jeter -

I'm sure you meant it sarcastically, but taking a GU Bat to the Batting Cage or for that matter playing Catch with a Historic GU Ball and wearing a GU Jersey in my house is like comparing Apples to Oranges.

Maybe if I was putting on a GU jersey to go eat spaghetti or something, I could understand the argument more - or as someone else said, if I was wearing a high end GU jersey to the mall or something... but guys going off about wearing a GU jersey in general - while I respect your opinion and choice - I don't get the getting all worked up over a $50, $100 or even $200 GU jersey... I mean a decent Authentic would cost me more than that... why wouldn't I spend LESS $$$ for a cheap Gamer to wear?

Like usual, just my .02...

All the best -

Chris

TriplexXxSports
02-07-2009, 08:30 AM
[quote=xpress34;122011]Gingi -

I totally agree with you.

As I said earlier, YES, I have put on every GU jersey I have owned at least once - not necessarily worn it out of the house - but I did want to feel what it was like to have it on.

....Doesn't everyone? Now, I am a fairly BIG guy and although most of my GU will not fit me, it is a pleasure to have that boyhood moment to see what it is like to feel like a pro. I was able to get into a Packers gamer of mine (52), even though it was tight, but for that small moment in time, I felt like a kid again. I just wish I could get into my PRIZED Hester, Urlacher, or Forte gamers. That would bring a feeling of great joy to a lifelong Bears fan.

It's your jersey and your money, wear it proud, or display its beauty!

jonincleve
02-07-2009, 11:52 AM
quick story, my 12 year old nephew was coming over a couple years ago. he wanted to go play baseball at a diamond close by. i had just broken my aluminum bat that week. when i told him we had a bag of baseballs but no bat, he says uncle john what about all those wooden bats you have. hmnnn what to do? why not....i collect buddy bell, i have 15 or so of his bats. so i picked out a solid s2 louisville slugger that i paid roughly $50 for and took it over to the field. actually it was pretty cool,by the time we left, we had 2 adults and 4 kids using a 'major leaguers' baseball bat. zach and i used that bat all summer long until some uncle who shall remain nameless couldn't handle an inside pitch and broke it.

now in the above case my bat, i broke it and it will never see the hobby again. i also wear some of my jerseys to ballgames and the national etc... if i ever sell one i would mention i wore it but it still does not take away the fact the buddy bell wore it also. anybody else use some piece of equipment in your collection knowing you are not getting rid of it.

take care
john

David
02-07-2009, 02:34 PM
My friend won a Houston Astros game worn coach's jacket with the specific intention of giving it to his brother as a jacket to wear around. As a coach's jacket he got it at a price fair for a new jacket at the store.

jppopma
02-07-2009, 05:03 PM
I am in the group that has no problem wearing a low end jersey around myself. Like someone said, you can often get them cheaper that an authentic jersey. That being said, these are low end (under $100) and not ones I am looking to sell. When it comes time to it, I guess that I would have no problem making mention of that. If someone had a jersey that you wanted and admitted to wearing it, would it really be a dealbreaker?

As for the "pristine" hands off collectors...quit kidding yourselves! Do you really think that any jersey that you buy has not been worn or tried on by someone other than the player? Yes, it could be the seller but there are many other people that have their chances as well. Clubhouse assistant, bat boy, or other team employee could try it on within the team level. Most anytime I have seen teams that sell their own game used uniforms at the game, they have them out on a rack -- and you guessed it, there is Joe Blow trying that jersey on for size right there at the game. The list could go on an on. The point is that its not a realistic expectation.

Along the lines of that expectation, how far do people go? Do you only handle the jersey with white gloves? It's just as likely to get dirty from your hands than by wearing it here or there! I can see that on some museum pieces, but maybe I don't understand since I don't own many that are that quality.

Finally, for those who like to keep them just as they were taken off the player.....you can keep that funky nasty stuff to yourself.....EWWW!

suave1477
02-07-2009, 05:13 PM
The jerseys I wear are likely to earn $60-150 from any resale, in the best of markets. If I ever sell one, it will be described correctly and I am sure that at that price, the buyers will be looking to do much the same as I did with it (unless there are people looking for specific, cup-of-coffee players jerseys, and if so, they would be difficult enought to find, that if a little Chris-sweat causes me to lose my meager investments..I will be surprised.

I was just making an example of a possible reason you might sell a Jersey I was hoping you and others would understand that.

My point is even if the person is a common player no matter who he is!!!

There may be a collector out there for that Jersey and lets say you have it, but to you he was just a common player.

Here I come along and I am looking for that Jersey, maybe it was my uncle, maybe it was a brother, maybe it was just a hometown favorite.

Are you actually gonna tell me it's a game used Jersey and also worn by you for the past year when you went shopping or took your car out to get washed????????

LIKE OTHERS HAVE SAID HERE, NOW I KNOW WHO NOW TO TAKE A CHANCE WITH TO BUY THINGS FROM!!!

cigarman44
02-07-2009, 05:51 PM
I was just making an example of a possible reason you might sell a Jersey I was hoping you and others would understand that.

There may be a collector out there for that Jersey and lets say you have it, but to you he was just a common player.

Here I come along and I am looking for that Jersey, maybe it was my uncle, maybe it was a brother, maybe it was just a hometown favorite.

Are you actually gonna tell me it's a game used Jersey and also worn by you for the past year when you went shopping or took your car out to get washed????????

LIKE OTHERS HAVE SAID HERE, NOW I KNOW WHO NOW TO TAKE A CHANCE WITH TO BUY THINGS FROM!!!

I have never wore any of my jerseys (Im like a size 42 anyways :D). I think it's funny that people like Suave think nobody has wore the jerseys that he owns. I would say 80 percent of the jerseys on the market that don't come directly from the team has been worn by someone else at some point.

ndevlin
02-07-2009, 06:07 PM
Dont sweat it suave, I feel the same way as you.

And as far going out to a local park and grabbing one of your game used bats to hit a few balls around is the dumbest thing Ive ever heard.

I was kidding with someone the other day about taking our bats out and hitting a few, and to hear someone actually doing it......speechless.

Sure, you own the item, you do whatever you want with it. Will you keep it forever like you say you will? Nope. Then when you sell it, will you say you wore it to all your home games? Changed your kids diapers? Nope, I havent seen one sellers description stating that. It doesnt happen.

Wearing a jersey around or taking a few cracks from your gamers is like calling a bat a piece of lumber. And someone that does that doesnt appreciate the hobby, nor should be in it.

jonincleve
02-07-2009, 07:17 PM
nate i respectfully disagree. i did not take a bat and use it as 'lumber'. i took a bat that my boyhood idol used and i used it for it's intended purpose. i understood what i was doing, i am pretty sure buddy bell would have approved of us going outside playing baseball vs sitting inside playing halo on the computer. the kids who used the bat to take batting practice got to use a bat a major league player used. actually they had never used a wooden bat before and only knew the ping of aluminum. same as taking out a 4 fingered glove and trying to field ground balls, to me that is teaching the game to today's youth. showing someone how it was done in the past and trying to get them involved in the sport i love.

the question is where do you draw the line and why do you collect?

would i take a hank aaron bat out for bp, no. would i take a game issued bat out to bp to make it 'game used', would never even consider it. i collect to enjoy it.

suave1477 you do not have to buy anything from me in the future, that is your right as a collector. with this hobby you have to know who you can trust. i will tell you that i am honest and i do respect the game and my collectibles and will always try to do the right thing.

i enjoy my collection and for full disclosure to the collecting community please do not buy the following items

buddy bell colorado rockies purple coaches jersey+white pinstripe coaches jersey, cleveland indians 1995 blue alt coaches jersey and grey coaches jersey. all of the above currently belong in my collection and are size 50 or 52. the have all been worn by me and washed with tide. there is also a buddy bell s2 bat broken in half that will be turned into a lamp someday.

take care
john

nyjetsfan14
02-07-2009, 09:14 PM
And someone that does that doesnt appreciate the hobby, nor should be in it.

While I have never worn/used or would never consider wearing/using any of my collection I would not be so full of myself to say that somebody who felt or did things differently should not be "in" the hobby. To each their own and a person who spends their hard earned money on such an item may use/enjoy said item as they see fit. Just because I don't do it the same way doesn't make it wrong or right.

suave1477
02-07-2009, 09:58 PM
I have never wore any of my jerseys (Im like a size 42 anyways :D). I think it's funny that people like Suave think nobody has wore the jerseys that he owns. I would say 80 percent of the jerseys on the market that don't come directly from the team has been worn by someone else at some point.

I never said I don't think anyone does it I am not that naive, but I am a bit surprised to see how many say they do, do it. and to them it's nothing or no big deal.

To me every little piece no matter how common player or superstar it is to the hobby it's a thread in our past time. and it is being altered by someone wearing it to the local grocery store or to get there oil changed on there car.

I have much more passion for the game than to treat a piece of it no matter how little it is as just a common player jersey.

To the member who used the bat for kids for batting practice - all you had to do was buy a store model major leaguers bat from your local Sport store, wouldnt have made that much of a difference to the kids

As far as the same member making the comment about knowing who you can trust. Again I repost the question to you and to everyone else who has yet to answer my question.
Are you gonna tell me if I was interested in buying the buddy bell bat from you, that not only did he use it, that you let a bunch of little kids use it for batting practice?????

Now since you mentioned being honest and I am sure your going to mention that fact to future customers - I am sure they are going to have the same enthusiasm in buying it.:eek:

ndevlin
02-07-2009, 09:59 PM
Thats cool. Everyone has their own opinion. I have mine and Im gunna stick to it. When you wear a game used jersey, or take a few hacks of that game used bat, you're pretty much doctoring that item.

And lets face it, anyone that says they are keeping that item forever is crazy. Things come up. Things happen. People pass. It will get sold eventually.

I guess I see sports memorabilia differently then others.

And I wasnt saying I was full of myself, nor anything I said gave that assumption.

ndevlin
02-07-2009, 10:03 PM
To me every little piece no matter how common player or superstar it is to the hobby it's a thread in our past time. and it is being altered by someone wearing it to the local grocery store or to get there oil changed on there car.

I have much more passion for the game than to treat a piece of it no matter how little it is as just a common player jersey.

Yes, exactly! That is what Im getting at. Thank you Suave.

jppopma
02-07-2009, 10:13 PM
[quote=suave1477;122229]To me every little piece no matter how common player or superstar it is to the hobby it's a thread in our past time. and it is being altered by someone wearing it to the local grocery store or to get there oil changed on there car.

I too am a baseball purist, but lets consider behind the scenes at the hall of fame of all places. Does anyone think that items in a back storage room have not been tried on or swung or worse...and those are some major items!

More classic stories to the "threads of our past"...how about back in the days when a MLB team would use their jerseys, pass them down to the minors, who would pass them down to another school or college, and in the end they would end up being donated to a charity group. I wonder how many restored flannels at one time graced the likes of Johnnie Skidrow or a tribal out hunting lions in his "gamer"???

Everyone has the right to do and buy what they like. Those who are adamently against the guys who wear them around have that right to not buy those items. Sleep well Jonincleve, I doubt they would take a chance of buying anything at all without it coming directly from the team and seeing the player take it off and hand it to them.

joelsabi
02-07-2009, 10:51 PM
there was a auction catalogue which had models wearing game used jerseys they were auctioning off. thought it was peculiar.

kylehess10
02-07-2009, 10:54 PM
there was a auction catalogue which had models wearing game used jerseys they were auctioning off. thought it was peculiar.

American Memorabilia....they do it in every auction catalog, and they do it with some of the most expensive pieces of game used memorabilia out there.....it's disgusting

suave1477
02-07-2009, 11:04 PM
Not to change the topic but Kyle I sent you a couple of emails but no response

kylehess10
02-08-2009, 12:12 AM
Not to change the topic but Kyle I sent you a couple of emails but no response

It might have been sent to my junk folder....I'll check to see if it's there

outlaw16511
02-08-2009, 01:06 AM
American Memorabilia....they do it in every auction catalog, and they do it with some of the most expensive pieces of game used memorabilia out there.....it's disgusting

U aint kidding it's disgusting......................................gi rls have teh cooties!

kylehess10
02-08-2009, 02:24 AM
Here's a link to a page on my site about American Memorabilia and their desire to basically ruin the value of all these nice pieces of memorabilia:

http://gameused.webs.com/donotbuyfromami.htm

jonincleve
02-08-2009, 05:13 AM
To the member who used the bat for kids for batting practice - all you had to do was buy a store model major leaguers bat from your local Sport store, wouldnt have made that much of a difference to the kids

As far as the same member making the comment about knowing who you can trust. Again I repost the question to you and to everyone else who has yet to answer my question.
Are you gonna tell me if I was interested in buying the buddy bell bat from you, that not only did he use it, that you let a bunch of little kids use it for batting practice?????

Now since you mentioned being honest and I am sure your going to mention that fact to future customers - I am sure they are going to have the same enthusiasm in buying it.:eek:

suave1477 i agree that if i would have had time to go to target and get a bat i would have, i only had my nephew for roughly a hour before he had to go home. but i disagree with the kids not knowing the difference between a store model bat and a bat used by a major leaguer. same reason you do not collect store models for your collection. there is something special, a connection with a game used item, in this case buddy bell. i think i relayed that to the kids who used it.
to answer your question directly if i personally wore a jersey or used a bat i would tell someone if i sold it. the bat used for batting practice was a one time thing as i have mentioned that i broke it and it will turn into a lamp or pen holder down the road. the jerseys stay in my collection.

now i have a question for you. would you buy a jersey knowing it has been worn by a dealer. i will give you an example

living in cleveland joe charboneau had one good season and is cult hero. he really had only 2-3 years in the majors. i know of 2 game used jerseys of his. both jerseys were worn by dealers at card shows in the 1990's. in fact one dealer would wear his jersey a lot and it was no doubt a charboneau gamer. this type of jersey would fit in my collection seeing as i collect cleveland indians. would i buy it knowing a dealer has worn it and probably gotten mustard and ketchup on it plus washed it 20 times. the answer is yes i would because i know at one time the jersey was worn by joe charboneau. at no time in the future can you take that fact away.

my question is in the above example, insert somebody that you would collect and would you still buy the jersey if it fit into your collection?

you would be surprised at how much enthusiasm people would have in buying something when they know a full story. if i remember correctly isn't there a babe ruth bat out there that was found, that was used by a bunch of kids. it was given to a kid by babe ruth, he used it as a kid, then it got stored in an attic/garage for 50-60 years.

i hope my posts are coming off as a difference in opinion and not derogatory. they are coming from a good place.

take care
john

nyjetsfan14
02-08-2009, 10:08 AM
Thats cool. Everyone has their own opinion. I have mine and Im gunna stick to it. When you wear a game used jersey, or take a few hacks of that game used bat, you're pretty much doctoring that item.

And lets face it, anyone that says they are keeping that item forever is crazy. Things come up. Things happen. People pass. It will get sold eventually.

And I wasnt saying I was full of myself, nor anything I said gave that assumption.

I think my choice of wording was very poor and I apologize for coming across that way. No offense was meant, I was only trying to point out we all have different thoughts, ideas, and philosophies regarding the hobby. I just think when someone pays their own hard earned money for a jersey, helmet, etc... if they wanna use a game used Joe Namath helmet for a chip and salsa bowl, as much as I would cringe, so be it. After all, our hobby is wierd regardless; collecting other peoples memories, accomplishments, clothes, etc... But again, please accept my sincere apology for a poor phrase choice, I wish we either had an edit button or my brain worked as efficiently with my fingers as it should. Happy collecting!

TAFKADixie
02-08-2009, 10:19 AM
I wear mine all the time. When I go to Clemson football games, 90% of the time I wear one of my Clemson jerseys. When I go to Clemson baseball games, I wear a Khalil Green, Kris Benson, or Billy Koch gamer. I do the same at Clemson basketball games, though they are much harder to wear for me as I am 5'6 and most of the jerseys are HUGE. I've never bought a jersey as an investment. If any of them are ever sold, it will be by my kids, not by me. When I buy a jersey, I could care less who else's back it has been on, as long as it has been on the player I collect.

suave1477
02-08-2009, 02:17 PM
suave1477 i agree that if i would have had time to go to target and get a bat i would have, i only had my nephew for roughly a hour before he had to go home. but i disagree with the kids not knowing the difference between a store model bat and a bat used by a major leaguer. same reason you do not collect store models for your collection. there is something special, a connection with a game used item, in this case buddy bell. i think i relayed that to the kids who used it.
to answer your question directly if i personally wore a jersey or used a bat i would tell someone if i sold it. the bat used for batting practice was a one time thing as i have mentioned that i broke it and it will turn into a lamp or pen holder down the road. the jerseys stay in my collection.

now i have a question for you. would you buy a jersey knowing it has been worn by a dealer. i will give you an example

living in cleveland joe charboneau had one good season and is cult hero. he really had only 2-3 years in the majors. i know of 2 game used jerseys of his. both jerseys were worn by dealers at card shows in the 1990's. in fact one dealer would wear his jersey a lot and it was no doubt a charboneau gamer. this type of jersey would fit in my collection seeing as i collect cleveland indians. would i buy it knowing a dealer has worn it and probably gotten mustard and ketchup on it plus washed it 20 times. the answer is yes i would because i know at one time the jersey was worn by joe charboneau. at no time in the future can you take that fact away.

my question is in the above example, insert somebody that you would collect and would you still buy the jersey if it fit into your collection?

you would be surprised at how much enthusiasm people would have in buying something when they know a full story. if i remember correctly isn't there a babe ruth bat out there that was found, that was used by a bunch of kids. it was given to a kid by babe ruth, he used it as a kid, then it got stored in an attic/garage for 50-60 years.

i hope my posts are coming off as a difference in opinion and not derogatory. they are coming from a good place.

take care
john

John no your point is well taken by your example is apples and tomatoes.

If there is only 2 Jerseys in possible existence of a player that I collect and I know both have been worn while someone was mowing there lawn. Chances are im gonna have to bite the bullet and have no choice and buy it as there chances are no others on the market.

But I collect Strawberry which has quite a few jerseys floating out there. So if someone offered me a Strawberry jersey that the seller has worn for regular use. As much as I am a Strawberry fan I would defintiely pass with no hesitation.
There are plenty of more out there that I will wait for to pop up

jonincleve
02-08-2009, 02:50 PM
suave1477 fair enough. i know everybody has their own parameters. i promise i will never put on any strawberry equipment :) buddy bell coaches equipment is fair game for me...no way i am fitting into any of his playing days stuff.

take care
john

xpress34
02-08-2009, 03:01 PM
WOW!!! :eek:

I am amazed and dismayed at some of the things I am reading here... and I'm NOT talking about the people who wear their GU pieces because - as I have said several times in this thread - I am one of them.

I have collected a BUNCH of quotes (edited by me to the points made - but NOT taken out of context) for the purpose of making my own responses in one (rather than several) posts to this thread.

And I would like to say UPFRONT - these are my PERSONAL OPINIONS and are in no way intended as attacks against any individual quoted - but rather my feelings based on previous posts in this thread... and YES, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but some things stated in these quotes do feel like attacks on people like myself who do wear some GU items...

I'll start here for a jumping off point:

Here's a link to a page on my site about American Memorabilia and their desire to basically ruin the value of all these nice pieces of memorabilia:

http://gameused.webs.com/donotbuyfromami.htm

“This pictures have also disgusted the entire collecting community at the Game Used Forum.”

The statement in quotations is directly from your site. Apparently the entire collecting community at GUU is NOT disgusted with GU items being worn by someone other than the original player.

While I appreciate your opinion, that was a very broad / general statement.

Ned - how is wearing a jersey in my basement 'doctoring' it??? I'm not working out in it or taking hacks in it to add 'sweat stains' or piling in the sleeve pit area form swings...

Also, I too took offense to the following statement - whether you think it came off as being full of yourself or not - it really iritated me:

Wearing a jersey around ... And someone that does that doesnt appreciate the hobby, nor should be in it.

That's a pretty elitist point of view... basically you are saying that anyone who does not feel and believe the EXACT same way as you isn't as good / real collector as you and has no business collecting GU memorabilia. Whether you like it or not, that is what comes across to me from that statement. That's right, I have a basement full of baseball memorabilia because I dont' appreciate the hobby!?!?! :confused: :mad:

Just because you wouldn't do it doesn't give you the right to put down those who do. If you don't want to purchase form me or any of the many others who are 'wearers' (my newly coined term), that is your choice. But to put us down because it goes against your beliefs is almost as bad as being a biggot, racist, etc.

That said, I found this statement from Mr.3000 (from another thread) as a good example of what I'm talking about - given he shares your point of view of NOT wearing (although I do not claim that he shares your view of our place in the hobby) - I only know that he said, " I'll be sure to never buy a game used item from those who believe it's ok to wear their game used stuff":

So every man that gets a divorce is labeled as "abandoning his family" ? I guess it would then be fair to say every lesbian shouldn't be a mother since she's not married to a man.

Neither are fair assessments.

It's not a fair assessment for you to make the statement that 'someone that does that doesnt appreciate the hobby, nor should be in it'.

THANK YOU. I'm glad to see who does and who doesn't do this. I'll be sure to never buy a game used item from those who believe it's ok to wear their game used stuff.

Here's my eMail

xpress34@comcast.net

and eBay

c_cubed_productions

If you, Mr.3000, Suave1477, etc don't want to buy from me, that is your right and I respect it. What I don't respect are your ASSUMPTIONS of what 'wearing' a GU jersey means in most cases. You guys have posted things that make it sound like we have no idea what we are doing and that you obviously know what we do when we 'wear' our jerseys:

When you wear a game used jersey, you're pretty much doctoring that item.

... it is being altered by someone wearing it to the local grocery store or to get there oil changed on there car.

[quote=Vintagedeputy;121968]It kind of takes the "game used" out of it and adds a "wore it to the grocery store, baby spit up on it and it smells like cigarette smoke" thing to it.

Then when you sell it, will you say you wore it to all your home games? Changed your kids diapers?

YES, you are all correct! I wear my GU jerseys so that I can 'doctor' them by changing my oil, burping my baby and smoking a big ole stogie... :rolleyes:

Like someone else said earlier, once it's GU, it's GU forever and always... if it has Provenance (LOA/COA), how does it become 'less GU'???

Next point:

Hypothetical Question:

Will you keep it forever like you say you will? Nope. Then when you sell it, will you say you wore it to all your home games? Changed your kids diapers? Nope, I havent seen one sellers description stating that. It doesnt happen.

To that end, I have been more than honest in every auction or listing I have ever posted. If I forgot to add something, I edit my listings. If someone asks a question, I answer honestly and directly. I can't speak for anyone else, but again, you guys are making general statements and broad assumptions - unless you state for a fact that you have read EVERY GU listing ever put out on the interenet (eBay, Yahoo, GUU, SCF, etc.).

And to be fair to Ned (NDevlin), you aren't the only one who seems to hold yourself and your collecting habits in a higher regard:

I think it has something to do with how much I enjoy my collection and the level of care I put into my jerseys. Not saying what anybody else should or shouldn't do, just my opinion and how I handle my jerseys.

Thats cool. Everyone has their own opinion. I have mine and Im gunna stick to it. I guess I see sports memorabilia differently then others.

That's correct - everyone has their own opinion... but to some of you, we are apparently just a bunch of 'mouth breathers' who have no respect / passion for the game or the hobby.

Personally, I never wear any of my game used jerseys from my collection....just never really had the urge to. I guess I could see wearing something that you pick up at a fanfest on a rack of common jerseys with NNOB, etc. At the end of the day, its your jersey, its your call.

So SUAVE1477... let's say I have Joe Schmoe's ONLY know GU jersey and he ONLY played in one MLB game for 1 AB or 1 IP then went back to the minors and toiled for the rest of his career... obviously it would be considered a common jersey to most teams and collectors. So I buy said jersey for $25 from my team because it's my size versus $250 or more for an 'authentic' off the rack. I wear said jersey and then find out you're Joe Schmoe's long lost brother/uncle, whatever and you really want his ONLY GU jersey. Is the fact that I wore it actually going to make you decide NOT to buy it??? Be honest here...

And to finish my little 'diatribe' here, based on on the statements in this thread from NON 'Wearers', you all (for the most part - not trying to generalize here) seem to have a problem with any GU jersey that was worn by someone other than the player.

Like the comment that was brought up about a jersey being passed down by the organization to MiLB, etc... is it no longer GU by the Original Player??? Or is now 'doctored' (even though it was used in games) since it was now worn by someone else? I know a guy who once ended up with a Padres Jersey that had been altered by the team (doctored?) for another player. He paid $50 for it... upon further inspection, the stitch marks could still be made out of the previous player name and number and it was professionally restored... it was Authenticated (as restored) and eventually sold at auction for just under $10,000. It was one of Willie McCovey's GU that the organization had recycled (or 'doctored' in some people's terms).

Another one that comes to mind - and I will gladly scan a picture of him wearing it if I need to - wa sin the late 80's early 90's when Nolan Ryan came to the Rangers. His oldest son Reid had transferred from UT to TCU and he came to work out with the Rangers. By MLB rules he had to wear a Rangers uni to be on the field to workout and pitch side sessions... well guess what he wore? One of his dad's GU jerseys. Would you turn THAT jersey down in your collection??? I wouldn't!!!! (see my board name!) According to the 'preaching' here about jerseys should ONLY be worn by that player, that Ryan Gamer is now a DOCTORED jersey and quite a few of these guys (their words) would not buy it.

I bring these last two paragraphs up to show the absurditiy of some of the assumptions in this thread. My bottom line when buying a GU jersey - does it have Good Solid Provenance or LOA/COA.

As always - just my .02

- Chris

suave1477
02-08-2009, 04:20 PM
So SUAVE1477... let's say I have Joe Schmoe's ONLY know GU jersey and he ONLY played in one MLB game for 1 AB or 1 IP then went back to the minors and toiled for the rest of his career... obviously it would be considered a common jersey to most teams and collectors. So I buy said jersey for $25 from my team because it's my size versus $250 or more for an 'authentic' off the rack. I wear said jersey and then find out you're Joe Schmoe's long lost brother/uncle, whatever and you really want his ONLY GU jersey. Is the fact that I wore it actually going to make you decide NOT to buy it??? Be honest here...

And to finish my little 'diatribe' here, based on on the statements in this thread from NON 'Wearers', you all (for the most part - not trying to generalize here) seem to have a problem with any GU jersey that was worn by someone other than the player.

Like the comment that was brought up about a jersey being passed down by the organization to MiLB, etc... is it no longer GU by the Original Player??? Or is now 'doctored' (even though it was used in games) since it was now worn by someone else? I know a guy who once ended up with a Padres Jersey that had been altered by the team (doctored?) for another player. He paid $50 for it... upon further inspection, the stitch marks could still be made out of the previous player name and number and it was professionally restored... it was Authenticated (as restored) and eventually sold at auction for just under $10,000. It was one of Willie McCovey's GU that the organization had recycled (or 'doctored' in some people's terms).

Another one that comes to mind - and I will gladly scan a picture of him wearing it if I need to - wa sin the late 80's early 90's when Nolan Ryan came to the Rangers. His oldest son Reid had transferred from UT to TCU and he came to work out with the Rangers. By MLB rules he had to wear a Rangers uni to be on the field to workout and pitch side sessions... well guess what he wore? One of his dad's GU jerseys. Would you turn THAT jersey down in your collection??? I wouldn't!!!! (see my board name!) According to the 'preaching' here about jerseys should ONLY be worn by that player, that Ryan Gamer is now a DOCTORED jersey and quite a few of these guys (their words) would not buy it.

I bring these last two paragraphs up to show the absurditiy of some of the assumptions in this thread. My bottom line when buying a GU jersey - does it have Good Solid Provenance or LOA/COA.

As always - just my .02

- Chris

Chris I found your post interesteing first the way you start off about not taking things out of context and assumptions yet you do it!!!

You mentioned a lot in your post which I am on my way out the door and cant reply to all I was reply to the latter part since that was the longest response towards one of my comments.

You said is it actually going to make me decide not to buy it and to be honest???

Ok, will I buy it? I will say chances are probably Yes because it was his only Jersey, but I again I do believe I answered this a couple of posts ago.
But the question is will I truley be happy about buying it noooo, I would buy it while cringing that someone else then my uncle, father, brother, cousin wore it.
I take pride in my sales knowing the customer I am selling my Jersey to is going to appreciate the Jersey it self and not wear it, I don't know about you.
With that being said I could never fully appreciate me selling a Jersey to a customer that I been wearing for the passed year to hang out at the bar with the fellas!!

As far as your example with the McCovey and Ryan Jersey which is basically the same as far as another person wearing it. And I belive is basically the same answer.

Jerseys that have been passed down to the minors and such and the Jersey worn by Ryans son to me it's Jersey that stayed used within the game.
Me and You are not part of the game!!!

WE ARE FANS ON THE OUTSIDE!!!

xpress34
02-08-2009, 05:13 PM
Chris I found your post interesteing first the way you start off about not taking things out of context and assumptions yet you do it!!!

You mentioned a lot in your post which I am on my way out the door and cant reply to all I was reply to the latter part since that was the longest response towards one of my comments.

You said is it actually going to make me decide not to buy it and to be honest???

Ok, will I buy it? I will say chances are probably Yes because it was his only Jersey, but I again I do believe I answered this a couple of posts ago.
But the question is will I truley be happy about buying it noooo, I would buy it while cringing that someone else then my uncle, father, brother, cousin wore it.
I take pride in my sales knowing the customer I am selling my Jersey to is going to appreciate the Jersey it self and not wear it, I don't know about you.
With that being said I could never fully appreciate me selling a Jersey to a customer that I been wearing for the passed year to hang out at the bar with the fellas!!

As far as your example with the McCovey and Ryan Jersey which is basically the same as far as another person wearing it. And I belive is basically the same answer.

Jerseys that have been passed down to the minors and such and the Jersey worn by Ryans son to me it's Jersey that stayed used within the game.
Me and You are not part of the game!!!

WE ARE FANS ON THE OUTSIDE!!!

Suave -

That is a fair comment based on when I posted. However, I was writing my post when you posted that answer - and since this forum does NOT allow edits, I was unable to correct that. I did see your post after I finished writing and posting mine.

My one Pet Peeve here - no editing. If there was, I would have addressed and corrected that statement after seeing yours.

My apologies on that issue - however (again) you are making assumptions about when and where I 'wear' my jerseys ('I been wearing for the passed year to hang out at the bar with the fellas') ...

Also (again, the elitist theme here), I didn't know that unless I hermetically seal up the jersey as soon as I get it (and yes, I am being sarcastic - not literal) then I'm not 'appreciating' the jersey to YOUR standards.

And I'm confused... 1st you say the Ryan and McCovey examples are the SAME as far as another person wearing it and then you say the exact opposite a paragraph later stating passed down jerseys have stayed in the game???

And 'you and me are not part of the game'... I have worked in the past for Nike, Rawlings and the Rockies - maybe not as a Player/Coach, but I have been a 'part of the game'... but that's Apples to Oranges comparison I admit... but Ryan's son NEVER played in the Major's, so how is he 'part of the game'??? Are you saying that if I was a promising prospect and a Rockies player invited me to work out at Coors Field and lent me a GU Jersey that I have NOT doctored or altered that jersey in your eyes while I worked out in it - even though I'm NOT an MLB player or 'part of the game'?

I'm really not trying to nitpick here, but I would really like some clarification on where the NON 'wearers' draw the line...because it seems to be quite gray in some areas...

For me, it's pretty B&W - I either buy a GU with the intention of wearing it or not. Because I tried on my Walker '97 MVP jersey ONCE for about 10 minutes at my house before putting it on a Mannequin doesn't change ANYTHING about the jersey or it's Provenance.

Things do change - I bought my 2000 Holliday GU to wear - and I did to about 5 games (for pregame - then I get food and the jersey goes in a plastic bag inside my bag for the game) and then Matt's star started to rise. At that point, the jersey hit the Mannequin side of my basement. Same with my Atkins 'Stars & Stripes' MiLB jersey - worn to 2 July 4th games (again Pre game) been on a hanger in the locker since 2006.

Helton GU - inscribed to me directly from Todd - alwasy been on a hanger or mannequin - but again, like the Walker it spent about 5-10 minutes on my back before being sent to the display arena.

My Baker was like $25 or $50 - WAYYYY cheaper than a freaking 'Authentic', so YES it was bought with the sole purpose of being worn.

And just from my personal experiences - Holliday, Atkins and Baker ALL thought it was cool that I had chosen to buy a GU jersey of theirs to wear and show support for the team. I don't know about other players, but my experiences have all been positive.

I guess I don't only have to worry about you NOT buying from me - you probably WON'T sell to me either ('I take pride in my sales knowing the customer I am selling my Jersey to is going to appreciate the Jersey it self and not wear it') because apparently I have no appreciation of my collection since I wear some jerseys. You probably assume that I also play catch with my Vintage and Auto balls and bats and still put my cards in the spokes of my kids bikes... and I guess wearing the jersey (as someone else said - also sarcastically) must wear the GU off of the jersey?.?.

As far as that selling statement, you can say 'you reserve the right to refuse service' but it reads to me more like intolerance - again referencing what I percieve as an elitist attitude toward collectors who don't collect exactly like you and others here.

It's the differences that should make the hobby great, but intolerance even permeates the collecting world. If you have a better word than intolerance - based on the FACTUAL statements you and others have made in this thread - I would love to hear it.

Because again, while some have agreed - it's yours, do with it as you please - and some have agreed that they are 'wearers', an 'elite few' (if you will) have SLAMMED those who are 'wearers' for admitting it, doing it, and being involved in it. Hmmmm - still sounds like good ole American 'INTOLERANCE'... I'm sure I don't need to name referances to other things parts of the population haven't tolerated over the years...

ndevlin
02-08-2009, 06:28 PM
First off, lets start with the basics...

My name is Nate, not Ned. My name (Nate Devlin) is directly under every post I make.

Secondly, about the restoration/altercations....

So if you were to buy a game ready bat, let your kid play with it for 3 months straight, and then decide to sell it. That isnt giving the bat any altercations based on the fact that your child added ball marks/8 yr old use?

And another thing....

People dont keep items forever. Things happen-- your kid needs college money, the economy kicks your butt, you pass(die)..etc etc. Your items will get sold eventually by you or your kids. So why would I want to buy a bat or jersey that has your blood, BO, bodily fluids, ketchup/mustard on it? When you sell these items, will you list these items as being done by you? Ive never seen an auction say..."Oh yeah, and thats my blood stain on the front from when I wore the jersey to every Cardinals home game last year", or, "The ball marks, yep, that was from my 12 yr old son several months back" Have I seen every auction? Im not even going to answer that, thats a silly question, but if you can find me an auction with the above stated in it, Id sure like to see it.

How about the bats that you promised never to sell. What if someone offers you $4,000 for one of those $50 bats? Would you accept their offer or keep the bat? It happened to me before, and I took the money. It happens.

And please, my collection isnt the greatest, by far. My knowledge isnt the best, by very far. For you to say "basically you are saying that anyone who does not feel and believe the EXACT same way as you isn't as good" Thats putting words into my mouth. I never said that, nor give that assumption. People are aloud to feel whatever they want. I gave how I felt whether you liked it or not, so at least respect it. Dont call me out on things when you dont exactly know the circumstances. For you to compare this to me being racist is rediculous. Come on now.

Lets face it, people feel/act differently than others do. People look/treat their collections differently than others. I know this, but I would give the same opinion on GU collecting if I collected stamps or old knives. Like I said, I can see all of us feel differently about our collections, and collecting in general. If I offended anyone with my statements, then I apologize.

And giving your opinion is one thing, but to call out 10 people by their quotes(opinions) with the novel you wrote is seeming like you are trying to cause trouble. You have your opinions, I have mine. Please respect it.

suave1477
02-08-2009, 07:15 PM
Suave -

That is a fair comment based on when I posted. However, I was writing my post when you posted that answer - and since this forum does NOT allow edits, I was unable to correct that. I did see your post after I finished writing and posting mine.

My one Pet Peeve here - no editing. If there was, I would have addressed and corrected that statement after seeing yours.

My apologies on that issue - however (again) you are making assumptions about when and where I 'wear' my jerseys ('I been wearing for the passed year to hang out at the bar with the fellas') ...

Also (again, the elitist theme here), I didn't know that unless I hermetically seal up the jersey as soon as I get it (and yes, I am being sarcastic - not literal) then I'm not 'appreciating' the jersey to YOUR standards.

And I'm confused... 1st you say the Ryan and McCovey examples are the SAME as far as another person wearing it and then you say the exact opposite a paragraph later stating passed down jerseys have stayed in the game???

And 'you and me are not part of the game'... I have worked in the past for Nike, Rawlings and the Rockies - maybe not as a Player/Coach, but I have been a 'part of the game'... but that's Apples to Oranges comparison I admit... but Ryan's son NEVER played in the Major's, so how is he 'part of the game'??? Are you saying that if I was a promising prospect and a Rockies player invited me to work out at Coors Field and lent me a GU Jersey that I have NOT doctored or altered that jersey in your eyes while I worked out in it - even though I'm NOT an MLB player or 'part of the game'?

I'm really not trying to nitpick here, but I would really like some clarification on where the NON 'wearers' draw the line...because it seems to be quite gray in some areas...

For me, it's pretty B&W - I either buy a GU with the intention of wearing it or not. Because I tried on my Walker '97 MVP jersey ONCE for about 10 minutes at my house before putting it on a Mannequin doesn't change ANYTHING about the jersey or it's Provenance.

Things do change - I bought my 2000 Holliday GU to wear - and I did to about 5 games (for pregame - then I get food and the jersey goes in a plastic bag inside my bag for the game) and then Matt's star started to rise. At that point, the jersey hit the Mannequin side of my basement. Same with my Atkins 'Stars & Stripes' MiLB jersey - worn to 2 July 4th games (again Pre game) been on a hanger in the locker since 2006.

Helton GU - inscribed to me directly from Todd - alwasy been on a hanger or mannequin - but again, like the Walker it spent about 5-10 minutes on my back before being sent to the display arena.

My Baker was like $25 or $50 - WAYYYY cheaper than a freaking 'Authentic', so YES it was bought with the sole purpose of being worn.

And just from my personal experiences - Holliday, Atkins and Baker ALL thought it was cool that I had chosen to buy a GU jersey of theirs to wear and show support for the team. I don't know about other players, but my experiences have all been positive.

I guess I don't only have to worry about you NOT buying from me - you probably WON'T sell to me either ('I take pride in my sales knowing the customer I am selling my Jersey to is going to appreciate the Jersey it self and not wear it') because apparently I have no appreciation of my collection since I wear some jerseys. You probably assume that I also play catch with my Vintage and Auto balls and bats and still put my cards in the spokes of my kids bikes... and I guess wearing the jersey (as someone else said - also sarcastically) must wear the GU off of the jersey?.?.

As far as that selling statement, you can say 'you reserve the right to refuse service' but it reads to me more like intolerance - again referencing what I percieve as an elitist attitude toward collectors who don't collect exactly like you and others here.

It's the differences that should make the hobby great, but intolerance even permeates the collecting world. If you have a better word than intolerance - based on the FACTUAL statements you and others have made in this thread - I would love to hear it.

Because again, while some have agreed - it's yours, do with it as you please - and some have agreed that they are 'wearers', an 'elite few' (if you will) have SLAMMED those who are 'wearers' for admitting it, doing it, and being involved in it. Hmmmm - still sounds like good ole American 'INTOLERANCE'... I'm sure I don't need to name referances to other things parts of the population haven't tolerated over the years...

Well I think Nate said mostly everything.

Again I do find strange you say you don't want to nitpick and then go ahead and start nitpicking.

You ask for our thoughts and the want to debate our thoughts.

No one has slammed anyone we are just giving our opinions.

You keep calling us so called NON WEARERS (Elitist) well thats your choice I never called myself an elitist

What ever I choose to buy and who ever has worn, of course there may be some discretionary measures, I may choose whether just the player wore it or it was passed to another player. This is just my way of deciding what I want. You may have a black and white idea of your buying habits, I do not.

You say I have intolerance like that is a bad thing???? Your right I do have an intolerance and that is my choice of how I want to go about handling my buying habits.

I am not sure how you felt you should define or have the power to decide my tolerance??? Because us so called Non Wearers do not think like you is what makes us all american we live in a free country.

If you feel I have an elitist attitude whether i agree with you or don't, guess what, thats my god given right too.

As far as assuming??? You keep saying that not me. Because according to you when you describe your items you are going to be honest. So why would I need to assume since your gonna put it out there how you personally have used the Jersey.

xpress34
02-08-2009, 08:16 PM
First off, lets start with the basics...

My name is Nate, not Ned. My name (Nate Devlin) is directly under every post I make.

Nate -

1st let me apologize for killing your name... I did see it in one post but I had cut and pasted the quotes to a note pad before I wrote (as I described it myself) the previous diatribe. For some reason Ned was stuck in my head.

2nd you are right and I agree with you that everyone has their opinions and is entitled to them, but I don't see any 'wearers' here ridiculing NON wearers for not wearing their jerseys. That is one of the things I personally took offense to.

3rd the main quote of yours that stuck with me - in fact I listed it twice in my previous post - was you statement that someone who wears their GU jerseys is 'someone that does that doesnt appreciate the hobby, nor should be in it' - I'm sorry, but I don't know how you expect a statement like that to be received. I don't think their is any mistaking the words that you used. That sound pretty much like you don't respect anybody else's opinion on what they do with THEIR GU jersey when you say they SHOULD NOT BE IN THE HOBBY.

Finally, I am NOT trying to start a fight, but if something rubs me wrong, I will voice my opinion here as well.

I honestly wish you and Suave and the others nothing but the best - I have nothing against any of you personally - hell we don't even know each other... but, I just keep hearing the same things said or assumed by some of the posters here. I'm sure some of it happens, but not every 'wearer' is the same or treats their items the way you described above (blood, mustard, etc.) - none of mine have any of that... except for a pair of Todd Helton Wristbands that I rcvd with a few blood spatters on them. Would I wear those??? No way in hell!!! Not that I don't trust Todd, but I don't want someone else's dried blood against my skin.

I am sorry if I upset or insulted you and anyone else here, but (as I said earlier) I feel by some of the statements I quoted that I had been insulted as a 'wearer'.

All the best -

Chris

xpress34
02-08-2009, 08:38 PM
No one has slammed anyone we are just giving our opinions.

Suave -

1st - as I said to Nate - all apologies if I upset or insulted you (please see the post just before this to Nate)

2nd - you say no one ever slammed those who wear their jerseys??? Have you actually READ this post - including my diatribe? As I said to Nate, the #1 thing that set me off was his comment about people who wear their jerseys as: 'someone that does that doesnt appreciate the hobby, nor should be in it'. Like I asked Nate, is their some other way I could have taken that statement? Sounds like a slam to me and as I said to Nate - it sound 'elitist' to say that we don't belong in the hobby. Can you really spin that statement to mean something else. It was not out of context - it is a DIRECT quote.

This is a DIRECT quote to - from you: 'I have much more passion for the game than to treat a piece of it no matter how little it is as just a common player jersey.' Now, if I'm taking that out of context, I'd like to know how. Again, on the surface of your statement it appears that you are claiming to have 'more passion for the game' than someone who wears their jerseys. Again, I take that as a direct slam.

3rd - I'm really not trying to start a big fallout here, but rather looking for answers to some of the attitudes that I see towards us who either do, have or will wear a GU jersey.

You say it's not 'slamming' it's opinion. Opinion is more like 'in my opinion it's not right to wear a gamer.' I could respect that. Saying someone shouldn't be in the hobby or floating the idea that someone who wears a jersey has less respect for the game??? That's past being just an opinion - that is a slam.

And as far as the assuming - again, my apologies if I offended anyone - but, I just keep hearing the same old lines (that SOUND like assumptions to me) that just because a guy admits he has worn his jerseys he must have done at least one of the following things... hanging at the bar, split mustard, got blood on it, went to the mall, changed the baby's diapers, burped the baby, etc... I don't know what else you would call it.

Lastly - again not trying to fight - but I put the direct quotes out there and no one has defended or explained their statements - but if you actually read my post, I explained why I put it on their and why it offended me personally.

All the best to you and yours -

Chris

xpress34
02-08-2009, 08:55 PM
For the record - since I have never brought up GU Bats in my posts - just jerseys - but I keep getting responses about the bats that I have not addressed - yes, I own a few.

Would I use them myself? No, but I have nothing against the guy who used one of his 15 or so Buddy Bell bats - and was nothing but honest about it's demise... he could have claimed Buddy broke it in a game, but he didn't.

And I listed every one of my current gamers - including when and how I wore them - and I am still waiting to hear about whether some of you think the wearing one time in your house for 10 minutes before putting on a hanger, a mannequin or in a frame is the same as wearing it anytime ever, period.

ndevlin
02-08-2009, 09:33 PM
Look xpress, so I worded a statement wrong. We feel differently about our collection. I already apologized if I offended anyone. You've expressed several times now that that particular quote bothered you. I got the picture the first time you posted that.

One time, a dealer that has/sells many bats once called bats a piece of lumber. Maybe I worded my opinion incorrectly. I feel if someone calls a bat a piece of lumber, especially a big dealer, probably shouldnt be in the hobby anymore. We have different ways we treat our collections, obviously. You guys wear/use yours. I do not.

I gave my opinion, you gave yours. Thats that.

Nathan
02-08-2009, 10:19 PM
I can deal with people wearing gamers.

What I can't deal with are those who buy gamers and alter the name and numbers to have something of a different player to wear around.

cjw
02-08-2009, 10:40 PM
Suave -

xpress34...thanks for getting into this as you have.

I was unable to post a response to Nate's earlier comment ("shouldn't be in" the hobby...etc) until now. I too, was offended by this comment. I thought it was an over-arching, denounciation of those collectors that have a differing view to him.

Like you, I have nothing against anyone on the forum, nor do I wish to start anything. I won't let such a comment linger with me; but I do wish to back you up, say thanks for your feedback, and also that it is my opinion, there is indeed room in the hobby for both perspectives on this issue.

I will continue to wear my inexpensive, sized-appropriate, gamers to MLB games (even these, I wouldn't risk to wash the car etc. as I want to wear them again and again). This approach brings me closer to the game and makes me appreciate the hobby even more, as I am no major leaguer, but can experience just a tiny bit of what it would feel like to be a part of that circle. Much better in my estimation that just framing an item and looking at it when I am in my office (I do this too).

I will continue to love the hobby and respect the collecting habits of others, no matter how bizzare they may appear to me.

If I ever sell one of my Game Worn-then-ME-worn items, I agree it would be fair to mention the fact that it I am a "wearer".

My name - Chris Wood
Ebay handle - stealhome1

Thanks!

Instanton
02-08-2009, 10:59 PM
Xpress: I must say, as one that was in deals to purchase your Atkins Gamer, the fact that you did not mention additional information about your wearing habits towards that jersey leaves me with a troublesome mindset. I agree with former posters, that these types of descriptions are a must when one wishes to sell a gamer.

To the OP: I myself, have never worn a gamer for sake of wearing it, simply for the curiosity of how I might look in one. Because I hold this idea, it is completely reasonable to not include this type of information when attempting to sell a piece.

xpress34
02-08-2009, 11:34 PM
Xpress: I must say, as one that was in deals to purchase your Atkins Gamer, the fact that you did not mention additional information about your wearing habits towards that jersey leaves me with a troublesome mindset. I agree with former posters, that these types of descriptions are a must when one wishes to sell a gamer.

To the OP: I myself, have never worn a gamer for sake of wearing it, simply for the curiosity of how I might look in one. Because I hold this idea, it is completely reasonable to not include this type of information when attempting to sell a piece.

Instanton-

When were we in a deal for you to purchase my Atkins gamer? The only place I have even mentioned it might be available - and I didn't even get to a full description because my post was removed - was here in the Classifieds. My post was removed because I simply started with a list and missed in the rules that no item over $500 could be listed in the classifieds.

Other than that, it has been listed in list form once on Craig's List here in Denver and on the Memorabilia site on Sports Card Forum (SCF). And I have been very open about the jersey, where it was obtained, the fact I had worn it a couple of times, etc when someone wrote asking for more information on it.

I'm just wondering when and where we were in negotiaions as I have only had one serious interest in it over the years and that was a gentleman here in Denver who knows the jersey very well - his last name is Atkins as well (not Garrett) - and he collects Atkins stuff pretty heavily...

Please enlighten me on your board name and site that we were in negotiations to make a deal... if that information hadn't been sent to you, I probably ahd the jersey (as stated earlier) listed in a list of available jerseys and we hadn't gotten past how much and any coa/loa to have any serious discussions.

Any info would be appreciated...

All the best -

Chris

xpress34
02-08-2009, 11:36 PM
Look xpress, so I worded a statement wrong. We feel differently about our collection. I already apologized if I offended anyone. You've expressed several times now that that particular quote bothered you. I got the picture the first time you posted that.

One time, a dealer that has/sells many bats once called bats a piece of lumber. Maybe I worded my opinion incorrectly. I feel if someone calls a bat a piece of lumber, especially a big dealer, probably shouldnt be in the hobby anymore. We have different ways we treat our collections, obviously. You guys wear/use yours. I do not.

I gave my opinion, you gave yours. Thats that.

Nate -

Like I told someone on the Manny thread - we have different opinions and get heated about it - isn't that why we love the game?

No hard feelings and again apologies for any bad taste I may have left with you.

All the best -

Chris

Instanton
02-08-2009, 11:40 PM
Well, I guess I can say that I thought the introductory price was suitable and I thought it to be a price that I would take it for, had it not been for problems mentioned in that email. It was for my Sky Sox thread in the Items Wanted.

xpress34
02-08-2009, 11:45 PM
Xpress: I must say, as one that was in deals to purchase your Atkins Gamer...

Instanton -

Actually, my apologies I did find where I sent you the basic info for these items in your thread a while back... and you are correct and it was MY oversite that I did not do more detailed descriptions - I was simply trying to get a list off to you and I did note at the bottom of the post (quoted here for transparency) for you to - "Let me know if you are interested and we can discuss pricing and such..." - I vaguely remember your eMail - you said you were really only interested in the Helmet and you would let me know in a 'fortnight' (that part stood out) and I never heard anything else from you about either piece...

I'm not sure how much you are looking to spend, but I have TWO GAME USED Sky Sox pieces I am looking to sell.

(ALL Pictures are CLICKABLE THUMBNAILS to the Original Larger Image)

A 2004 Batting Helmet (Dual Ear Flaps)

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff130/C_Cubed_Productions/Memorabilia/Hats/th_SkySoxGUBattingHelmet.jpg (http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/ff130/C_Cubed_Productions/Memorabilia/Hats/?action=view&current=SkySoxGUBattingHelmet.jpg)

I obtained the Helmet from a friend of mine in the Springs who use to know the Equipment Mgr.

Garrett Atkins 2004 'Stars and Stripes' Jersey - AUTOGRAPHED

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff130/C_Cubed_Productions/Memorabilia/Jerseys/th_AtkinsSkySox1.jpg (http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/ff130/C_Cubed_Productions/Memorabilia/Jerseys/?action=view&current=AtkinsSkySox1.jpg) http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff130/C_Cubed_Productions/Memorabilia/Jerseys/th_AtkinsSkySox2.jpg (http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/ff130/C_Cubed_Productions/Memorabilia/Jerseys/?action=view&current=AtkinsSkySox2.jpg) http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff130/C_Cubed_Productions/Memorabilia/Jerseys/th_AtkinsSkySox3.jpg (http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/ff130/C_Cubed_Productions/Memorabilia/Jerseys/?action=view&current=AtkinsSkySox3.jpg)

The Jersey was purchased directly from the Sky Sox at Security Field on the Final Day of the 2004 Season. They sold ALL of the Stars and Stripes Jerseys from the July 4th Game in the Team Store at the Stadium.

I had Garrett sign it in September 2004 after his call up to the Rockies.

I also have a 2004 Rockies GU Atkins hat with the American Flag Patch (It had to be the Labor Day weekend series) which may have been the weekend Garrett got called up since the SkySox season ends in August. It has Rockies LOA.

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff130/C_Cubed_Productions/Memorabilia/Hats/th_Atkins04GUHat1.jpg (http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/ff130/C_Cubed_Productions/Memorabilia/Hats/?action=view&current=Atkins04GUHat1.jpg) http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff130/C_Cubed_Productions/Memorabilia/Hats/th_Atkins04GUHat2.jpg (http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/ff130/C_Cubed_Productions/Memorabilia/Hats/?action=view&current=Atkins04GUHat2.jpg)

Let me know if you are interested and we can discuss pricing and such...All the best -

Chris
xpress34@comcast.net

Anything else you care to provide would be welcomed by me.

- Chris

xpress34
02-08-2009, 11:55 PM
Instanton -

I no longer have your eMails archived - I just checked, but - if memory serves - I offered you the Helmet @ $75 and the Jersey I believe I told you $450 - just to get negotiations and talks going and that is when you responded you were really looking for a Joe Koshansky jersey but you did have some interest in the helmet and would let me know within a 'fortnight'.

We never had any further communication past that regarding condition, LOA/COA, etc...

If I am mistaken on any of this, please correct me as that is honestly what I remember of it as I was looking to sell it to raise money for Christmas.

- Chris

P.S. - for those wondering - NO, I have never worn the Helmet or the Hat. ;)

Instanton
02-08-2009, 11:56 PM
My apologies if I did not respond within the time that I intended. I did not mention as to why the jersey was (while my high interest) not my primary goal to attain from you? Well, the price was above what I wished to give at that time, but nevertheless, it was an item that I hoped that I could obtain. I must emphasize that I truly thought that I forwarded an email with regards to the helmet: I would only purchase the helmet if you could or perhaps know one that would sell full Sky Sox unis. (as I am now in a phase to obtain or have the ability to obtain full uniforms).

Instanton
02-09-2009, 12:03 AM
If I may add: Because of this phase, the Atkins jersey would now only be a sure deal if you had the pants...:D

xpress34
02-09-2009, 12:20 AM
My apologies if I did not respond within the time that I intended. I did not mention as to why the jersey was (while my high interest) not my primary goal to attain from you? Well, the price was above what I wished to give at that time, but nevertheless, it was an item that I hoped that I could obtain. I must emphasize that I truly thought that I forwarded an email with regards to the helmet: I would only purchase the helmet if you could or perhaps know one that would sell full Sky Sox unis. (as I am now in a phase to obtain or have the ability to obtain full uniforms).

It's all good. I still have the helmet if your get interested again. And NO, I have NOT worn it.

I never had the opportunity to obtain pants from the Sky Sox - plus, pants have never been something I have looked to pursue. Don't know why, just never have.

The reason you gave (as stated a post or so back) was something about being more interested in obtaining a Koshansky jersey. I apologize that was all I remembered.

After I didn't hear back from you, I probably trashed the eMails as it appeared from my side that you no longer had any interest in the items.

Hope all is well with your collection and if you're ever heading to Thornton, drop me a line if you'd like to see the helmet and jersey 1st hand.

- Chris

xpress34
02-09-2009, 12:32 AM
xpress34...thanks for getting into this as you have.

I was unable to post a response to Nate's earlier comment ("shouldn't be in" the hobby...etc) until now. I too, was offended by this comment. I thought it was an over-arching, denounciation of those collectors that have a differing view to him.

Like you, I have nothing against anyone on the forum, nor do I wish to start anything. I won't let such a comment linger with me; but I do wish to back you up, say thanks for your feedback, and also that it is my opinion, there is indeed room in the hobby for both perspectives on this issue.

I will continue to wear my inexpensive, sized-appropriate, gamers to MLB games (even these, I wouldn't risk to wash the car etc. as I want to wear them again and again). This approach brings me closer to the game and makes me appreciate the hobby even more, as I am no major leaguer, but can experience just a tiny bit of what it would feel like to be a part of that circle. Much better in my estimation that just framing an item and looking at it when I am in my office (I do this too).

I will continue to love the hobby and respect the collecting habits of others, no matter how bizzare they may appear to me.

If I ever sell one of my Game Worn-then-ME-worn items, I agree it would be fair to mention the fact that it I am a "wearer".

My name - Chris Wood
Ebay handle - stealhome1

Thanks!

Chris -

I believe I have made peace with both NDevlin and Suave - at least I hope I have guys!!! - but I appreciated your comments.

I probably do get worked up more than I should over some things, but as (one of many I'm sure out here) Disabled Vet (20% - Shoulder/Back) - served 12 years in the USAF 1985-1997 - and being in an interracial marriage (my wife is 1/2 Filipino) certain things set me off more than others.

It doesn't mean that my comments are always right, but rather some reasoning behind why I am so adamant sometimes about things.

I think I have this whole issue pretty much out of my system now...

But I do have an ironic truth to confess... and this will sound really weird to some after all of this... but the ONE jersey I own that I have NEVER worn is NOT a GU, but an AUTHENTIC - and correct in every way to the year and patches, etc - and if you look at my board name, you'll understand my personal reverence for this jersey more than any of my current gamers:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/xpress34/Memorabilia/Jerseys/Ryan931.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/xpress34/Memorabilia/Jerseys/Ryan932.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/xpress34/Memorabilia/Jerseys/Ryan933.jpg

Certified by the Ryan Foundation.

- Chris

Instanton
02-09-2009, 12:35 AM
Yes, I managed to obtain a Koshansky Gamer for under 150 and Team-Issued Pants. If I ever get a hold of anyone that does wish to sell either a SkySox gamer or an entire uni, I will forward you an email towards that helmet.

xpress34
02-09-2009, 12:46 AM
Yes, I managed to obtain a Koshansky Gamer for under 150 and Team-Issued Pants. If I ever get a hold of anyone that does wish to sell either a SkySox gamer or an entire uni, I will forward you an email towards that helmet.

Nice job! I don't remember what I gave for the Atkins in '04, but obviously as his star has risen, so has his GU items...

At the Rockies Dug Out store after the WS they wanted $275 for one of his GU WS hats!

In 2004/05 you could have gotten his hat for like $35 - $50 tops...

All the best -

Chris

xpress34
02-09-2009, 12:55 AM
I can deal with people wearing gamers.

What I can't deal with are those who buy gamers and alter the name and numbers to have something of a different player to wear around.

What about if you are altering a jersey purely for display purposes?

I ask because I forgot to mention I just obtained a 2000 Rockies Purple ALT of Rick Croushore (4 yrs in the majors - 111 games - only 6 as a reliever for the Rox) for dirt cheap... he wore #54 here... I am looking to have the name redone for a Gossage display (he was a 'special assistant' here for a few years) to put out with my Gossage GU and AU Rockies hat (no, I have never worn it). I have no intention of every trying to present it as a Gossage jersey (besides the fact I am NOT removing the tail tagging and this is one of the Russell Rockies jerseys that actually has the NAME tag in the Tail tagging... for those of you that don't know, Russell had NO rhyme or reason to their tagging for the Rockies over the years...

I also have a 2003 Brain Banks Marlins Black ALT that is already being altered to be a Beckett 2003 WS jersey for display purposes only with a Beckett AU Marlins WS Hat (not GU - just Authentic) as Beckett had already Auto'd a '2' for me for the '21' on the jersey.

Just wondering if your thoughts are flat out against altering no matter what the reasoning.

- Chris

Instanton
02-09-2009, 01:29 AM
Nice job! I don't remember what I gave for the Atkins in '04, but obviously as his star has risen, so has his GU items...

At the Rockies Dug Out store after the WS they wanted $275 for one of his GU WS hats!

In 2004/05 you could have gotten his hat for like $35 - $50 tops...

All the best -

Chris

Which Dugout location do you attend? Since the CU-D campus is within the coming blocks, the 16th street mall location suits me well.

flaco1801
02-09-2009, 02:06 AM
to the guys that dont wear your gamers....do you buy bats that havent been swung???

jonincleve
02-09-2009, 10:56 AM
just wanted to show what the buddy bell gamer my nephew and i used was going to become. it will not reach the hobby as a game used bat. this lamp is a duane kuiper bat.

take care
john

Nathan
02-09-2009, 11:25 PM
What about if you are altering a jersey purely for display purposes?

I ask because I forgot to mention I just obtained a 2000 Rockies Purple ALT of Rick Croushore (4 yrs in the majors - 111 games - only 6 as a reliever for the Rox) for dirt cheap... he wore #54 here... I am looking to have the name redone for a Gossage display (he was a 'special assistant' here for a few years) to put out with my Gossage GU and AU Rockies hat (no, I have never worn it). I have no intention of every trying to present it as a Gossage jersey (besides the fact I am NOT removing the tail tagging and this is one of the Russell Rockies jerseys that actually has the NAME tag in the Tail tagging... for those of you that don't know, Russell had NO rhyme or reason to their tagging for the Rockies over the years...

I also have a 2003 Brain Banks Marlins Black ALT that is already being altered to be a Beckett 2003 WS jersey for display purposes only with a Beckett AU Marlins WS Hat (not GU - just Authentic) as Beckett had already Auto'd a '2' for me for the '21' on the jersey.

Just wondering if your thoughts are flat out against altering no matter what the reasoning.

- Chris

It's all well and good to say that the jersey will never be represented as being something other than what it is (an altered jersey) or will never be sold; unfortunately we can't predict the future for the latter and the former isn't the real concern.

See, I look at game gear as being a unique piece of history that goes beyond, dare I say our right, to tamper with. I am pleased to have a couple of extremely unique pieces in my closet that I wouldn't dare do anything with. I am the first person outside of the team to be in possession of them and I believe it is my duty to keep them in their last used condition. This is why nothing has been autographed in spite of a few opportunities and why nothing gets worn around the house, to a game, out shopping, etc. I have walked around a couple of jersey expos wearing one over a clean shirt, but that's about the extent of it.

My concerns are these when it comes to altering:
1) Altering removes a jersey from its last worn condition, essentially destroying said item except as a display piece
2) Altering creates a ton of confusion down the road if said jersey ever re-enters the marketplace ("Were the numbers and nameplate changed by the team? Was it worn by another player? Was it recycled, which explains the discrepancy in tagging?")
3) Altering creates a great possibility for fraud. Nearly any auction that we see has items that have various red flags. How would something that's obviously a gamer that's been altered to a more prominent (or just different) player be explained?

A few years back, there was some huckster that acquired a supply of Edmonton Oilers gamers from the 1980s who then proceeded to strip a bunch of them to turn legitimate other gamers into Gretzky jerseys. All displayed correct tagging, correct numbers, and (I believe) correct nameplates and fonts.

By doing this, said huckster succeeded in doing a couple of things.
1) He acquired a bunch of money fraudulently, and
2) He succeeded in destroying a bunch of Oilers gamers from their dynasty years

There was someone last year who bought a Rimouski Oceanic jersey from Crosby's days there, had the name and numbers stripped, and reattributed it to Crosby. In his eBay auction, it was declared to be exactly what it was (an altered gamer). But is the next person going to be so honest? How about the person after that? Or after that?

There's too big of a Pandora's box that is opened by altering, but we can always start at the fact that it destroys the original item.

LastingsMilledge85
07-02-2010, 11:24 PM
This probably has been discussed before, but what I really am looking for is a concise answer and why it is that you do it. The question is...(drum roll) do you ever wear any of your gamers?

For me, I keep all my jerseys folded on storage shelves and the caps, helmets, glove, batting gloves, and cleats are in the same shelves as well. I like to unfold (even though I am a supposed "folding extraordinaire") my jerseys every now and then to just get them "loosened" and will occasionally wear them to help loosen but only briefly as I would never wear them out because I really don't want to risk anything happening to the jersey. As for caps I rarely wear them along with helmets only to dust off and things of that nature. The one GU Glove I have I love to at times just put it out and maybe toss a ball into it here and there, would NEVER play catch with it though. As for the bats I have I will take rare cuts with only two of the six I have because they are in decent enough shape to be swung and one remains in a case that I don;t feel like opening. That's my long (sorry) story, anyone else want to share???

BrewCrewSackers
07-03-2010, 02:03 AM
I really feel sorry for you for some reason.

LastingsMilledge85
07-03-2010, 02:31 AM
I really feel sorry for you for some reason.

Reason...

Tedw9
07-03-2010, 08:08 AM
I never put on any of my game used items. The only person I want to have used or worn my item is the person it was made for.

If I feel in the mood to wear a jersey, hat or use a glove, I'll buy a replica.

But that is just my 3 cents. (Extra cent added for inflation.) :)

Tedw9
07-03-2010, 08:20 AM
Just wanted to add...

I say this with all due respect, but aren't you afraid when you take your game used glove out and "toss a ball into it here and there" that you may be creating "use" in the glove? It just seems to me that every time you toss a ball into it, you are taking the chance that extra scratches and such will appear in it from the threads or the leather on the ball itself. And the more scratches the more "use" it will look to have. That extra use is yours, not the players.

I've never owned a game used glove, just my own personal gloves I use to play ball with. So if I am off target with my thought, I apologize.

And if I wanted to get my game used jersey "loosened" I would just hang them for a few days off a nice hanger, maybe off my shower curtain rod or some place like that. Once again, I would be afraid of snagging a thread or something like that while wearing it which would give the perception of use by the player when actually it would be use created by me.

Just my humble opinion. :)

Mulligans
07-03-2010, 09:01 AM
Very Funny!

I wear my GU Jackets all the time!

More often than not, I can get a big name player for less than one costs in the Giftshop.

cigarman44
07-03-2010, 10:08 AM
Ill swing a bat from time to time. Will never put on a jersey. I put on my game used glove to post pics and that was it. I can't imagine tossing a ball around with a 700.00 glove!

Mattfedo01
07-03-2010, 10:13 AM
I think if you put on a Game Used Jersey you are ruining the meaning of it!!! If you use that jersey you should never sell it!!!!

skier14
07-03-2010, 11:09 AM
I think if you put on a Game Used Jersey you are ruining the meaning of it!!! If you use that jersey you should never sell it!!!!

I disagree. I personally don't wear any jerseys that I own, but I dont think that it "ruin[s] the meaning of it". What is the meaning of a game worn jersey? The jersey is still game worn, and I believe that is the meaning. Although I don't wear my jerseys I understand that someone would.

I will swing some of my un-cracked bats every once in a while.

solarlottry
07-03-2010, 11:15 AM
A friend of mine has one of the largest GU 49ers collections in the world and he ALWAYS wears his gamers to 49er games! He usually wears older shirts like Brodie but has also worn players like Lott. People are always looking at his shirt at the game and wondering what it is.

Fnazxc0114
07-03-2010, 11:55 AM
i dont wear any, but im fat so my options are limited lol

spartakid
07-03-2010, 12:01 PM
I don't wear any of the jerseys I own, I would be too afraid of getting it dirty or something happening to it. I do take some swings occasionally with my lower end uncracked bats though, not the more valuable ones.

Trublubrucru
07-03-2010, 12:20 PM
You have to figure that most jerseys are made to withstand hard use. Worn 40-80 times during the summer for 3-5 hours at a time, sweated up and slid in, and washed that many times, and then sometimes sent to the minors too. Jerseys made in the last 20 years hold up a lot better than the vintage ones. That being said, I purchased a cheap gamer for the specific duty of wearing to games. I've worn a '96 Bob Wickman road jersey to Brewer games since '97 ( 5 or 6 times a year) washed it every time, and it still looks as good as my others that I've never worn.

LastingsMilledge85
07-03-2010, 12:36 PM
With the glove, the ball is very rarely and very lightly done that if I didn't tell you, you would have no idea that I ever wore it because it's still in the same condition as it always was. You have to realize that when you buy anything GU and that it is not from the team, sports marketing company, etc. that there is a possibility that the previous owner wore it. There's no way of telling or devalue of it if it's worn by someone else and nothing has been altered to the original piece from that. I rarely wear my jerseys simply because I'm not a jersey wearer, but you would have no idea that they have been worn just because I handle everything with care and the infrequency of them being reworn. That's what I have to offer.

LastingsMilledge85
07-03-2010, 12:42 PM
Tedw9, I do hang them on hangers to loosen them and I'm currently doing that with my jerseys, but as I said rarely I wear them. I wore one yesterday for less than five minutes, but that's what got me thinking and thus this thread was made.

gingi79
07-03-2010, 12:53 PM
This thread reminds me of the old thread found here:

Just to fastforward, here was my response:

" I normally wear my Mickey Mantle game worn when I am burping newborns at the maternity wing.

I had to stop wearing my Dan Marino photomatched Super Bowl jersey after two weeks of fiestas in Mexico. Apparently you can sweat like a pig and throw up at the same time.

I also enjoy taking swings at the local batting range with every one of complete set of 500 home run hitter bats. I usually do this after smoking two packs of cigarettes in a small, non-ventilated room. Lucky for me, I also store most of my collection outside, right next to a fish market.

Now if you are reading this and thinking "Jesus, this guy is an ass. What a stupid thing to say!", then you know exactly how I feel when this question is asked.

I would argue that unless we are talking about an item that should be in a museum, someone other than the player has worn it. This could be to a Super Bowl party, a live game or while watching one on TV. See those items on eBay? They have been worn by collectors. All of them. Whether it is just once to know what it is like to wear their hero's jersey or in one of the situations I outlined above. Go to ANY major sporting event and you will see game worns in the crowd. Hardly ever see one with "added wear" unless the seller does it to increase the price or mustard stains. I've rarely heard of a story of something dripping on a game worn either. I think it's silly to think wear and usage is added to a shirt simply by wearing it to one of the above mentioned places.

Now I realize that there are collectors on this site and others who feel this is terrible. You may even think I am exaggerating. You may become enraged and feel that people who wear these shirts are somehow damaging them. You are more than welcome to that opinion and I can see how this is a logical and in many cases correct way to feel.

But you won't change anyone's opinion, just like I won't change yours. That's ok, we can agree to disagree.

However, collectors are the precise reason why this thread will not get honest responses. (In the thread another collector asked) for
"[Collectors to] list your email and Ebay user name so that I will never buy jerseys from you."

Well, my eBay user name is LongIslandDale_Jrfan and my email address is the same as my username here. I doubt you will get many more responses as honest as mine because I won't be selling anything I am wearing and most people don't want to be blamed or penalized for doing what every other seller has done. If you feel like you are "weeding out" those collectors who have worn their gamers after the player you can start with my name and end when you finish blocking 90%+ of the other collectors.

I'm all for honesty and integrity. If you (and by you I mean any collector) want to sit back and think I am rare and wrong for wearing MY shirt, then don't bid on my eBay stuff and don't buy my stuff on this site. I can respect that. I disagree with you and think it's nieve of you to believe you are getting a jersey only a player wore. However, I would make the friendly suggestion of purchasing items only from companys like MeiGray or the team themselves.

Ironically, because I want to sell stuff here in the future, the items I list are authentics and some gamers I purchased to flip. These have not been worn. You can believe me or not but considering how honest this thread has been, I can't see why we couldn't work out a deal in the future.

In closing I will throw one more question out for the crowd. Woudn't you rather concern yourself with the fact that the jersey is an unaltered authentic game worn piece worn by the player and then once or twice by a collector rather than a fake?"

Just fair arning if you don't want to read through the entire old thread. If you are honest and says you once wore a jersey, there are collectors on this board who will never purchase anything from you. I find it ironic that people with similar stuff to mine have sold items on this board and my for sale items with fair prices have never sold. Jut keep that in mind when deciding how "honest" you want to be.

gingi79
07-03-2010, 12:54 PM
Sorry, here is the link to the last fight.....err thread :p: http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=23019

kylehess10
07-03-2010, 12:59 PM
I never wear anything or swing anything or use anything. That's why I rarely ever buy stuff from collectors, since I have the feeling that somebody down the line may have worn it. I like knowing that the last person who used/wore something was the PLAYER, not some random guy.

Even when I buy a game used uncracked bat of minor leaguers or no-name major leaguers to use for myself in games, when I finish with it, I burn them in a fire

Lokee
07-03-2010, 03:59 PM

LMAO way to funny

Lokee
07-03-2010, 04:01 PM
Even when I buy a game used uncracked bat of minor leaguers or no-name major leaguers to use for myself in games, when I finish with it, I burn them in a fire

Interesting.

woody1351
07-03-2010, 05:18 PM

i bought my first jerseys to wear bc im 5'8 160 and jerseys dont fit me very well, they are huge on me. then i found out people collect game jerseys and all the new ones i buy i dont wear but my frist two i wear bc i wore them many times before i really started collecting them.

jays78
07-03-2010, 08:40 PM

Kyle, you give new meaning to "flame treated"!!!

spartakid
07-03-2010, 09:44 PM
I never wear anything or swing anything or use anything. That's why I rarely ever buy stuff from collectors, since I have the feeling that somebody down the line may have worn it. I like knowing that the last person who used/wore something was the PLAYER, not some random guy.

That almost sounds like a Game Used religious ceremony of some sort!

metsbats
07-03-2010, 11:31 PM
I'm with Kyle on the bats. I play in baseball camps and have purchased common bats for use. It's cheaper to buy common game issued bats and since they are MLB players I think I'm getting better wood than buying retail. The first thing I do is blacken the knobs to wipe out any thought that the player whose name is stamped on the bat ever used it. I've not gotten to a point like Kyle where I cracked one but using it as firewood is a great idea.

I do have a couple of game issued MLB team jerseys which I purchased directly from teams to wear at camps and the first thing I do is shred any COAs which may have come with the jersey. I think when I'm done with one I'd write on the tag NGU too.

Now as far as my game used player jerseys they are off limits to wearing or using. (I have them all on hangers) I've certainly did swing bats to get a feel but never would hit a ball with one.

TheGreat#8
07-04-2010, 09:54 AM
This probably has been discussed before, but what I really am looking for is a concise answer and why it is that you do it. The question is...(drum roll) do you ever wear any of your gamers?

For me, I keep all my jerseys folded on storage shelves and the caps, helmets, glove, batting gloves, and cleats are in the same shelves as well. I like to unfold (even though I am a supposed "folding extraordinaire") my jerseys every now and then to just get them "loosened" and will occasionally wear them to help loosen but only briefly as I would never wear them out because I really don't want to risk anything happening to the jersey. As for caps I rarely wear them along with helmets only to dust off and things of that nature. The one GU Glove I have I love to at times just put it out and maybe toss a ball into it here and there, would NEVER play catch with it though. As for the bats I have I will take rare cuts with only two of the six I have because they are in decent enough shape to be swung and one remains in a case that I don;t feel like opening. That's my long (sorry) story, anyone else want to share???

I have a couple of Pete Rose and Ricky Henderson game worn jersey's. Two of each in fact. 1 of the 2 of each I have framed and don't touch but we have a park down the streeet from my house with a complete ball field. I like to wear the jersey's down there and actually run the bases and slide into the bases head first just lik Pete and Ricky. I imagine myself in the game and hear the roar of the crowd and go in there head first with those jersey's on. There is just nothing like it.

I have a sweet Canseco bat that I have taken to the cage a number of times trying to hit the balls out of the park, nothing like it.

Recently picked up a Griffey glove and have the neighbor ikids hit me fly balls to the fence and then I go get em with the glove.

I love to enjoy this stuff nad there is nothing like playing with these items like you are in the game. If anything if I ever need t move this stuff, it will look that much better.

LastingsMilledge85
07-04-2010, 12:07 PM
I have a couple of Pete Rose and Ricky Henderson game worn jersey's. Two of each in fact. 1 of the 2 of each I have framed and don't touch but we have a park down the streeet from my house with a complete ball field. I like to wear the jersey's down there and actually run the bases and slide into the bases head first just lik Pete and Ricky. I imagine myself in the game and hear the roar of the crowd and go in there head first with those jersey's on. There is just nothing like it.

I have a sweet Canseco bat that I have taken to the cage a number of times trying to hit the balls out of the park, nothing like it.

Recently picked up a Griffey glove and have the neighbor ikids hit me fly balls to the fence and then I go get em with the glove.

I love to enjoy this stuff nad there is nothing like playing with these items like you are in the game. If anything if I ever need t move this stuff, it will look
that much better.

That joke was actually funny when it was done on this thread the first time, but when you made an ill-attempt at humor...it just wasn't funny, sorry to let you down.

TheGreat#8
07-04-2010, 12:47 PM
That joke was actually funny when it was done on this thread the first time, but when you made an ill-attempt at humor...it just wasn't funny, sorry to let you down.

What are you talking about? I am completely serious, why is this a joke?

TheGreat#8
07-04-2010, 01:15 PM
I had a couple of people ask me about this over the years and my response has always been, I bought these items with my hard earned money. If I want to wear them around, play in them etc. that is my perogative. If you have never done this you honestly don't know what you are missing. Imagine sliding into 2nd base in your rose gamer and looking up and hearing the roar of the crowd as if you are a member of the Big Red Machine and you just set up George Foster, or Johnny Bench to drive you in. This takes me back to the days of yesteryear to a moment that you just could not believe.

I am actually searching for a game used bat of my childhood hero the Hammer Hank Aaron. I would love to get a really nice one and take it out to the cage or better yet, use it in my senior league in an actual game. Imagine driving in the winning run with a Hammer gamer. The feel is unlike anything you have ever seen.

TheGreat#8
07-04-2010, 02:00 PM
I guess I should add though, that one really bad incident came out of my wearing my game used items. I was playing in my senior league three summers ago wearing my Willie Mays game worn pants. I was running the bases after getting a double down the left field line when I felt the sudden need to use the restroom. Unfortunately, the burrito and taco's I had eaten for lunch must not have sat real well with my stomach. By the time I had hit first, I had a bad case of diarrhea and literally shit myself on the way to second. Needless to say besides the fact that I had shit running down my leg and soiled my Willie pants, it was quite embarrassing.

I would kind of feel bad putting these on the market in the future knowing that I had defecated in those pants.

The guys really gave it to me when I got back to the dugout, I mean the stink was tremendous.

You can only imagine the look on Willie's face when I saw him at a signing last year and told him that story. The stunned look on the Say Hey Kids face told it all.

By the way, a buddy of mine has actually taken his Mantle to the cage a number of times. I have a couple of high end collecting friends. You know how Boomer Wells wore his Ruth game used hat a half dozen years back in the playoffs. Well, you would not even believe this one, my buddy Chet who is a huge Ted Williams collector actually wore a complete Williams uniform that he owns to play in a charity soft ball tournament. If I can find the news link I will post it. It was a sight to behold. He told me the moment was unbelievable. Made the San Jose Mercury and several other local news channels. Nothing like pulling a $100,000k plus uni. off the shelve and wearing them in a game. Even I am not sure I could pull that one off.

RJB44
07-04-2010, 07:07 PM
I always try on my newly acquired jerseys, but I don't wear them around. Usually just slip it on once I get it, put on the corresponding cap (if I have one), look in the mirror and smile. All that in about five minutes or less. Then the jersey goes in the closet with my 20 something other jerseys.

ChrisCavalier
07-05-2010, 12:27 PM
Given this exact topic was discussed previously and had created some heated discussions, coupled with the fact that we have already had to edit and respond to posts on this particular thread, we have decided to lock this thread.

Thanks to all who contributed and shared their opinions.

Sincerely,
Chris

Blitzmaster
05-10-2013, 07:52 PM
Lol, was this thread unlocked.?????

Blitzmaster
05-10-2013, 07:54 PM
Boom........

sportscentury
05-11-2013, 01:15 PM
I guess I should add though, that one really bad incident came out of my wearing my game used items. I was playing in my senior league three summers ago wearing my Willie Mays game worn pants. I was running the bases after getting a double down the left field line when I felt the sudden need to use the restroom. Unfortunately, the burrito and taco's I had eaten for lunch must not have sat real well with my stomach. By the time I had hit first, I had a bad case of diarrhea and literally shit myself on the way to second. Needless to say besides the fact that I had shit running down my leg and soiled my Willie pants, it was quite embarrassing.

I would kind of feel bad putting these on the market in the future knowing that I had defecated in those pants.

The guys really gave it to me when I got back to the dugout, I mean the stink was tremendous.

You can only imagine the look on Willie's face when I saw him at a signing last year and told him that story. The stunned look on the Say Hey Kids face told it all.

By the way, a buddy of mine has actually taken his Mantle to the cage a number of times. I have a couple of high end collecting friends. You know how Boomer Wells wore his Ruth game used hat a half dozen years back in the playoffs. Well, you would not even believe this one, my buddy Chet who is a huge Ted Williams collector actually wore a complete Williams uniform that he owns to play in a charity soft ball tournament. If I can find the news link I will post it. It was a sight to behold. He told me the moment was unbelievable. Made the San Jose Mercury and several other local news channels. Nothing like pulling a $100,000k plus uni. off the shelve and wearing them in a game. Even I am not sure I could pull that one off.

My goodness!

coletrain98
05-11-2013, 01:43 PM

am i the only one that finds this hard to believe

sportscentury
05-11-2013, 02:15 PM
am i the only one that finds this hard to believe

No, it's clearly a joke ... but what a story!

gorilla777
05-11-2013, 03:16 PM

So is it correct that these pants would lose 2 points for defecation under the Mears grading scale criteria?
Just looking for clarification.....don't want to assume.

Ben

coletrain98
05-11-2013, 04:26 PM
No, it's clearly a joke ... but what a story!

is that why he got banned?