PDA

View Full Version : Help needed from College Football jersey collectors

Dewey2007
02-08-2009, 09:20 PM
I recently picked up what I think is either a game worn or more likely a game issued 1990 Cal Golden Bears Copper Bowl jersey manufactured by Sports Belle. The numbers are heat pressed, there is no nameplate and no signs that a nameplate was removed. I'm not even sure if nameplates were included on the game jerseys since I have not been able find any photos from this Bowl game. I vaguely remember watching the game 18 years ago but I was in Tahoe and it was New Years Eve. My brain cells took a beating that weekend so no memory recall for me!!

Does anyone have a jersey from this game that they could send me photos of since I'm trying to see if the jersey I have matches the style they wore in the game. I contacted Sports Belle and they indicated that they did not manufacture any Cal Bears retail jerseys. I'm pretty sure Cal wore Russell jerseys during the regular season and Sports Belle only did the jerseys for the Bowl game.

Anyhow, if you have anything or need more info on the jersey please e-mail me at: deweystg@berkeley.edu

Thanks,
Dewey

Blitzmaster
02-09-2009, 02:43 AM
Hey Dewey, I played for Cal during the 1990 and 1991 seasons. I actually still have my jersey from that game but do not remember what the Tail tagging looked like as I cut mine off to show my abs(which have since gone missing). We did not have nameplates on our jerseys during the 1990 season so there would be no remnants of stitching there. I played defensive line and do remember a #91 on the team(I was #97). I have an autographed helmet from that team and I am pretty sure his name was Eric "TEX" Costello. hope this is some help!!

Dewey2007
02-09-2009, 12:14 PM
Hey Dewey, I played for Cal during the 1990 and 1991 seasons. I actually still have my jersey from that game but do not remember what the Tail tagging looked like as I cut mine off to show my abs(which have since gone missing). We did not have nameplates on our jerseys during the 1990 season so there would be no remnants of stitching there. I played defensive line and do remember a #91 on the team(I was #97). I have an autographed helmet from that team and I am pretty sure his name was Eric "TEX" Costello. hope this is some help!!

Blitzmaster, I appreciate the response and this helps a great deal! Could you post pics of your Copper Bowl jersey when you get the time. The jersey I have wasn't cut off but it looks designed to definitely have the Abs showing. I was told by someone in the Cal Athletic Dept that #91 was worn by Todd Steussie that season. I wasn't sure though if offensive and defensive players shared numbers back then like they do these days.

Anyhow, I've been working here at Cal for the last 15+ years so it's good to hear from a former player. Go Bears!!

OleMiss
02-10-2009, 09:58 PM
That might be a salesman's sample. I have a 1992 Liberty Bowl Ole Miss jersey that is a salesman's sample. It has number 93 on it. I saw on ebay a year or so ago an Ole Miss Gator Bowl jersey and it was also was a salesman sample. Mine is also a size medium.

Dewey2007
02-10-2009, 11:48 PM
That might be a salesman's sample. I have a 1992 Liberty Bowl Ole Miss jersey that is a salesman's sample. It has number 93 on it. I saw on ebay a year or so ago an Ole Miss Gator Bowl jersey and it was also was a salesman sample. Mine is also a size medium.

Thanks, I hadn't thought it might be a salesman's sample. Is there anything on your Ole Miss jersey that I should look for on mine that might help me determine if it's a salesman sample or not?

OleMiss
02-12-2009, 09:06 PM
One thing I have noticed is that the number usually reflects the year after the bowl game. For example Ole Miss played in the 92 Liberty Bowl but the jersey was 93. I guess the number is the year that the sample was used by the salesman.

Dewey2007
03-28-2009, 06:02 PM
I just saw this 1990 Cal Bears Copper Bowl jersey on eBay and it's exactly like the one I picked up and posted about except this one has a Nameplate on the back.

http://cgi.ebay.com/VTG-Bowl-Game-Used-Football-Jersey-Cal-Bears-RARE-FIND_W0QQitemZ120397283214QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVinta ge_Unisex_T_Shirts?hash=item120397283214&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

I don't remember a player by the name of Genson but I did have someone from the Cal Athletic Dept tell me that Todd Steussie wore #91 during the 1990 season. Blitzmaster can you help shed some light if there was a player name Genson that played with you back in the day??

I know that my jersey is not game used but this makes it interesting that there are two of the same exact jersey. When I contacted Sports Belle they told me that they didn't make any Cal Bears retail jerseys so maybe this is another salesman's sample that someone added a nameplate too??

Lokee
03-28-2009, 11:57 PM
I have seen these before. Olemiss is right I have seen a Rose Bowl Sz Medium 91 on the front and back (UW Huskies). I have seen some by the company your jersey is made by.

B1SON
03-29-2009, 01:32 AM
Is there a chance these were "authetic" jerseys sold at the game with the option of putting a name/ your name on the back???? Way too many #91 floating around for them to be gameused. I assume the name on the back is the fans name that wore it. Just a hunch thats all.

Dewey2007
03-29-2009, 11:56 AM
Is there a chance these were "authetic" jerseys sold at the game with the option of putting a name/ your name on the back???? Way too many #91 floating around for them to be gameused. I assume the name on the back is the fans name that wore it. Just a hunch thats all.

Bison, I hadn't thought that maybe these were jerseys sold at the game. I'm going to try and e-mail Sports Belle again and see if they can clarify things.

I e-mailed the seller of the other #91 jersey and he said his jersey shows game use although he did not elaborate on what that use was. He also knows nothing of a player named Genson but his theory was maybe two players shared the same number.

B1SON
03-29-2009, 02:34 PM
Bison, I hadn't thought that maybe these were jerseys sold at the game. I'm going to try and e-mail Sports Belle again and see if they can clarify things.

I e-mailed the seller of the other #91 jersey and he said his jersey shows game use although he did not elaborate on what that use was. He also knows nothing of a player named Genson but his theory was maybe two players shared the same number.

There heppens to be 2-3 of these that have surfaced in the last 6 months and and they are all #91, one with a name on the back that no one recognizes. Sounds WAY to coincidental to me. Game used could be that after the fan attended the game, he wore it on Thanksgiving in the annual touch/tackle football games. Sounds like these are not the real deal, but rather something sold at the game as an "ultimate" souvinier. Again, just my hunches.