PDA

View Full Version : 1981 BGS Montana RC and Tiger Woods GSV Printing Plate RC

daveypsmith
02-09-2009, 02:29 AM
I came across a website, www.ModernMarvelsAuctions.com (http://www.ModernMarvelsAuctions.com) that has the 1981 Topps BGS 10 Joe Montana RC, a 1997 Grand Slam Ventures Tiger Woods Printing Plate rc, a 1998 Peyton Manning Playoff Contenders RED AUTO, and some other rediculous impossible to find rc's. The starting bids I noticed are all very low but I am not familiar with the company. I think this is the same company that sold a Pujols BGS 10 RC and Jordan BGS 10, but I am not positive.

Does anyone have any insight on this auction. I believe it is ending April 25th.

GarkoCollector
02-09-2009, 07:22 AM
They are selling the 5 cut auto card as well. I thought some of those cut signatures were proven to be forgeries. Ruth and Walter Johnson I believe. Maybe I am thinking of a different card:
http://www.modernmarvelsauctions.com/auctions/item.php?id=67

droop685
02-10-2009, 05:19 PM
i contacted modernmarvelsauctions.com and they provided me with scans of the back of the card, and everything is definitly 100% legit, I also asked to see scans of the back of the washington/ pershing auto, and everything checked out perfect

GarkoCollector
02-10-2009, 05:21 PM
i contacted modernmarvelsauctions.com and they provided me with scans of the back of the card, and everything is definitly 100% legit, I also asked to see scans of the back of the washington/ pershing auto, and everything checked out perfect

Scans of the back mean nothing. UD has already admitted to authenticating cut signatures that were forgeries.

David
02-11-2009, 01:59 PM
UD made a couple of mistakes, but we can't taint their entire product. Three of the sigs appear to be on cuts from checks and document, which are safe authenticity-wise. I remember when this first sold, and as I recall the autographs are fine. The identified UD problem cards were different ones.

After a bit of trouble, I beleive either UD or Topps hired JSA to double check their old timer autograph cards. The cards JSA checked out are identified as such on back.

As the sigs on this particular card are very valuable (the Mathewson is a rarity), of course it never hurts to get a second opinion.

mdube16
02-11-2009, 08:26 PM
Davey...you wouldnt be associated with these folks would you? Never posted here before and your only 2 posts have links to the auction and leading type questions about them and the items.....:rolleyes:

trsent
02-11-2009, 10:46 PM
Davey...you wouldnt be associated with these folks would you? Never posted here before and your only 2 posts have links to the auction and leading type questions about them and the items.....:rolleyes:

I thought the same thing but I am tired of being the bad guy each and every time.