PDA

View Full Version : Cal Ripken Jr. - YOUNG Bats

ripkengamers
04-15-2006, 07:25 AM
Mike, JIm,
I'm hoping to finally clear the air on Cal Ripken Jr. game used Young bats. I've seen a few on major auction sites and another just showed up on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8793668286&rd=1&sspage name=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Here's the one that was on GF in 2004:

I've heard that Cal never used Young bats during the actual season and may have used them in spring training.

Can you please close the book on this for me?

Thanks,

Dan (ripkengamers@aol.com)

JimCaravello
04-15-2006, 07:54 AM
Hi Dan - First let me say that I am not an expert on Ripken Young bats. I have never seen him use a Young bat at the plate, but he played a ton of games and I certainly didn't see every Ripken at bat ( and since I am a Yankees fan, I tried to watch as few Ripken plate appearances as possible! ).

Many people frown on Young bats - the manufacturer is right here in my home state of North Carolina. There are many players who used Young bats in games during their careers - and then others who experimented with Young bats in batting practice, spring training, etc. I have owned legitimate Young bats in the past - players who I saw using Young bats in games and I was fortunate enough to obtain a few directly from Young when they would participate in memorabilia shows across the great state of North Carolina. A lot of times he would bring game used ( or practice / spring training used ) bats with him - where the player would use the bat and then send it back and say - prodcue ten more like this - or tweak this just a tad. Since I no longer collect bats from the 90's, I sold all of my Young bats a few years ago. As an aside, Butch Huskey used Young bats in major league games quite a bit.....

Regarding the Ripken Young bat on ebay - I always say, if you are not comfortable, don't buy it. I don't think anyone can definitely say that he did or did not use Young bats unless their is some provenance attached to the bats or you actually saw him use the bat ( or similar bat ) in a game. The bat in question does not have a lot of use and it appears to be just a few ball marks and seam makrs which look legitimate - but we all know how easy it is to doc up game use on a bat.

I am not saying the bat in question os good or bad - it is a legitimate Young bat that shows some use on it. I feel you need to ask yourself whether it is something you would be comfortable with in your collection.

There are many Forum members who probably know a little about Youngs bats - does anyone know specifically if Ripken used Young bats in game either through provenance, photos or direct visual confirmation?? If so - if you can post and help Dan out that would be greatly appreciated.

Dan - sorry I am not more help than that. I am not one to just say its a legitimate Young bat because it matches professional model bats that Young made for major league players. I can tell you this, and this is very important - at the memorabilia shows in North Carolina I did attend where Young Bats was in attendance, you could buy the exact bats he made for major leaguers that were not used - let me say that again - exact bats with all the proper markings on the barrel and knob. That to me is a little scary....

Let me know if I can be of further assistance. Jim

JimCaravello
04-15-2006, 07:59 AM
Dan - one other thing to mention - the Young bat in Grey Flannel clearly shows blue ball marks, which would make me more comfortable as a collector that someone used the bat in BP, spring training or a game. The Young bat on ebay does not show any blue ball marks - BUT, that doesn't prove that it was not used in BP, spring training or a game. It could very well have been........the blue ball marks on the GF bat clearly help its case.

Lastly - the GF bat comes with a COA from Taube - I would contact him to see what he knows about Young Ripken bats. Jim

byergo
04-15-2006, 11:17 AM
Do you know how easy it is to get blue marks on a bat by simply hitting the baseball a few times?

JimCaravello
04-15-2006, 12:10 PM
Yes - but I would like to give the auction houses and authenticators the benefit of the doubt. As mentioned earlier, a bat is easy to doc up and even get blue ball marks on it. Every collector should make their own determination as to whether they will be happy with this Young Ripken bat. Jim

suave1477
04-15-2006, 03:57 PM
I know a little bit about this subject, I cannot confirm if Ripken used Young Bats or not, but here is som info hope it helps.
Young bat co. tried to break into the Major Leagues in the mid to late 90's with having players use there bat as an alternative to whats out on the Market now. Most athletes were noot interested. Young Bat co. made these bats as test bats for the players some player would try them out for Batting Practice or Spring training at most. Most of the players never actually used them for actual games. But keep in mind some did but very very few. As you can see they didnt last too long cuz I dont think anyone at all uses them now in the Majors, or at least I havent seen any. Alot times player who got these bats even handed them off to other players to use since they never had an intention of using them. I happend to have one used by Darryl Strawberry.