PDA

View Full Version : OT - AROD admits steroid use

Rob L
02-09-2009, 02:38 PM
Arod admitted today to ESPN that he has used steroids from 2001 - 2003. Now that he has admitted this, does this go away for him like it did for Pettite, or is the storm only gaining steam?

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/29068677/

yanks12025
02-09-2009, 02:40 PM
I know he won't but if i was him i would just hang up my cleats.

Mr.3000
02-09-2009, 02:44 PM
I know he won't but if i was him i would just hang up my cleats.

Why would he or should he? Giambi hasn't. Multiple lesser known players have come back from their suspensions for testing positive to resume their baseball careers. Hamilton has come back from major drug addictions. Howe continued to play aftyer being busted (banned) numerous times for cocaine use. Saying he should "hang them up" is more than juvenile.

Personally, I'm glad to see him man up and face the music. It won't be easy and many more will hate him than did before.

But he made the right choice....admitting to his mistakes.

That said, I wish him the best of luck. He's still a great player in my eyes.

jetersbatboy
02-09-2009, 02:48 PM
I am still not a AROD fan, but I am happy to hear he's owning up to his mistake's!!!

Master Shake
02-09-2009, 02:50 PM
I believe he made the right choice in admitting to his mistakes. Obviously, a player like Rodriguez's caliber is going to get more scrutiny than that of say a Giambi or Pettite but I believe over time we can forgive him and move on. There's no doubt hundreds of players used during this time period and I personally think its unfair that Rodriguez's name was thrown out there while the rest of them remain confidential. You don't hear anything about Joe Schmo's name "leaking."

kellsox
02-09-2009, 02:53 PM
Glad to see him man up but people are crazy if you believe that he all of a sudden stopped using them. Why??? because his numbers were awesome??? He got caught using steroids but why wouldn't he just switch to something undetectable like HGH??? It will not just go away- he was held in too high regard by too many people for it to be to be brushed aside. Can you imagine the scene at Fenway???
k

1986&2004Bosox
02-09-2009, 02:57 PM
He boldly lied on National TV in the Katie Couric interview, he is a cheater, womanizer and fraud and we are all lemmings to keep spending money on their crap. We make millionaires richer buy spending an outrageous amount of money on their autographs and collectibles why? Anyone ever think about how much time and money we have spent on this stuff that could have been better spent with our family or put aside for a rainy day. To me this is the straw that broke the camels back. Canseco was the only honest one in thhe bunch. We should stop collecting, stop watching, and make these over paid pampered millionaires get real jobs. I we didn't go to the games they would not be paid millions. Why cant we just stay away?

chakes89
02-09-2009, 03:02 PM
I don't blame him

If I was playing for the Rangers at the time I would have done drugs too :D

Mr.3000
02-09-2009, 03:06 PM
He boldly lied on National TV in the Katie Couric interview, he is a cheater, womanizer and fraud and we are all lemmings to keep spending money on their crap. We make millionaires richer buy spending an outrageous amount of money on their autographs and collectibles why? Anyone ever think about how much time and money we have spent on this stuff that could have been better spent with our family or put aside for a rainy day. To me this is the straw that broke the camels back. Canseco was the only honest one in thhe bunch. We should stop collecting, stop watching, and make these over paid pampered millionaires get real jobs. I we didn't go to the games they would not be paid millions. Why cant we just stay away?

The same could be said about many, many hobbies and their hobbyists.

As I said in another post, I blame Selig and the MLB. They needed to drop the hammer on this years ago. They failed. We are where we are today because of it.

If you let your kid get away with stealing once, why would he have any reason to stop?

Same thing goes with MLB and steroid use. They danced around the issues for years while slightly punishing a few no names and trying to protect their biggest attractions.

They need to clean house, get a new commissioner and begin anew. Strict testing needs to be in place with extremely harsh punishments for those that test positive.

I would propose the following punishments as a deterrent from using PED's.

Punishments for positive test results:
Strike 1 - 1 year suspension from the game.
Strike 2 - 5 year suspension from the game.
Strike 3 - Lifetime ban from the game.

I guarantee nobody would want to be caught the second time.

xpress34
02-09-2009, 03:07 PM
I[f] we didn't go to the games they would not be paid millions. Why cant we just stay away?

Because we are addicts just like them!!! Only our drug of choice doesn't go in our bodies... we just love to watch it on a sunny summer day...

As far as A-Rod, I am amazed he came clean, but it doesn't change the fact that he LIED (to Katie Couric) and has always been more concerned with himself than those around him.

It will be interesting to see how this unfolds... and I wish and hope they will release the rest of the names...

3arod13
02-09-2009, 03:11 PM
I'm glad to see Arod admit to it and take responsibility. I'm even more impressed that he could have easily said he only used them in 2003. Yet, he admits from 2001-2003.

While there will be many differences of opinion on Arod's admission, I am one Arod fan that I can say I'm glad he did so, and I'm still proud to be an Arod fan.

Regards, Tony

suave1477
02-09-2009, 03:12 PM
Glad to see him man up but people are crazy if you believe that he all of a sudden stopped using them. Why??? because his numbers were awesome??? He got caught using steroids but why wouldn't he just switch to something undetectable like HGH??? It will not just go away- he was held in too high regard by too many people for it to be to be brushed aside. Can you imagine the scene at Fenway???
k

Well me personally I do not think he actually stopped but to debate your comment of why people may think he had stopped was because his numbers did drop a bit on the Yankees from his time with the rangers.

Hr's while with the Rangers

Hr's while with the Yankees

Just giving a comparison

suave1477
02-09-2009, 03:17 PM
Canseco was the only honest one in thhe bunch. We should stop collecting, stop watching, and make these over paid pampered millionaires get real jobs. I we didn't go to the games they would not be paid millions. Why cant we just stay away?

I am not sure if this comment was a joke or serious

But since there was no mention of this being for amusement I will take it as you were being serious

Now in a sarcastic tone - ARE YOU SERIOUS??? HONEST ONE OF THE BUNCH????

He was the one who set it off!! Cheated the game for years. Cheated the fans for years!! Then decides to write a book about ratting all the players who he felt he knew who did roids/hgh so he can get back into the spotlight and make one last stretch of making some more money.

I am not sure what part you feel makes him so honest!!

yanks12025
02-09-2009, 03:18 PM
Kellsox,
Can you imagine the scene at yankee stadium when David Ortiz is one of the other 103 names on that list.

But i think the funniest thing would be if Curt Schilling was on the list, a guy bashing people about taking steroids and then come to fact he took them.

gameused
02-09-2009, 03:21 PM
Glad to see Arod came clean.

I always suspected Nomar of using roids, what do you guys think.

Hey, someone hurry up and sign Manny so he has a chance at being the next "steroid free" HR king!

schubert1970
02-09-2009, 03:26 PM
I'm glad to see Arod admit to it and take responsibility. I'm even more impressed that he could have easily said he only used them in 2003. Yet, he admits from 2001-2003.

While there will be many differences of opinion on Arod's admission, I am one Arod fan that I can say I'm glad he did so, and I'm still proud to be an Arod fan.

Regards, Tony

I didn't even have to post. Eloquently said Tony.

For those who think Arod was using after the Rangers.....you gotta be nutz. With all the testing going on, do you really think in '07 he was dumb enough to take this stuff while pissing in a cup every few weeks.

BULBUS
02-09-2009, 03:27 PM
Kellsox,
Can you imagine the scene at yankee stadium when David Ortiz is one of the other 103 names on that list.

But i think the funniest thing would be if Curt Schilling was on the list, a guy bashing people about taking steroids and then come to fact he took them.

I doubt Shillings name will be on their, he's lobbying for the entire list of 104 to be released. But I'm sure there will be some Red Sox names on there.

Bondsgloves
02-09-2009, 03:32 PM
Arod's response was carefully orchestrated. He knew he couldn't say I did it one time. I give him credit for coming clean, but there is no way he only took them with the Rangers. He said he took them because of the pressure with the Rangers contract, if anything he is under greater pressure in NY. The guy is a tool and its all about image. If McGwire, Clemens, Bonds are not in Cooperstown neither will be ARod. I just think they all deserve to be in, they were the best of the steroid era.

Bondsgloves
02-09-2009, 03:36 PM
Glad to see Arod came clean.

I always suspected Nomar of using roids, what do you guys think.

Hey, someone hurry up and sign Manny so he has a chance at being the next "steroid free" HR king!

Nomar for sure, rumors have circulating for a while. Manny, guilty! I would bet anything Manny's on the juice. Funny thing though Bonds wasn't even one of the 104 names on the list. It wasn't until they tested his urine for the third time they found any trace of steroids. Unless they are specifically checking for a particular steroid, these new designer steroids are difficult to detect. Just look at Manny compared to when he came into the league.

BULBUS
02-09-2009, 03:39 PM
Funny thing though Bonds wasn't even one of the 104 names on the list.

How do you know this, do you have the list?

chakes89
02-09-2009, 03:42 PM
He probably thought he had to do steriods so he could carry Texas on his back because of how bad they were

Bondsgloves
02-09-2009, 03:45 PM
How do you know this, do you have the list?

It was posted in the SF Chronicle yesterday and even heard it on ESPN. The whole reason the list was matched up to the samples was because of Balco. The Feds said they were investigating the samples to see if Bonds failed the test. They initially stated he had passed the test, but when they rtested the urine sample they found traces of THG and another designer steroid.

3arod13
02-09-2009, 03:45 PM
Just something for everyone to think about.

Go stand in front of a mirror. Now reflect on your life. Look at yourself. Have you ever done anything wrong? Have you ever cheated at anything? Ever lied?

Enough said!

Mr.3000
02-09-2009, 03:51 PM

Go stand in front of a mirror. Now reflect on your life. Look at yourself. Have you ever done anything wrong? Have you ever cheated at anything? Ever lied?

Enough said!

AMEN to that!

Bondsgloves
02-09-2009, 03:56 PM

Enough said!

Tony the only sad thing is he new he took it and flatly denied it several times. The only reason he would of ever admitted it, was because he caught. Lets be honest he would of kept this dirty secret forever. He didn't man up, and watched all of these others take the plunge.

With your military background and after reading your post, You sound like a very stand up guy. I doubt you would ever let a teammate go down or not take responsability for your actions. Thats just my opinion.

kellsox
02-09-2009, 04:04 PM

Enough said!
Arod(and many others in baseball) cheated and lied- to improve their job performance and subsequent fat pay-days. If a prospective teacher/policeman/etc.. cheats on his/her certification exams and it is found out later that they did so(after working successfully at a job for years), what is the likelihood of them working in that profession again? Arod's and other's lies effect many, many people- specifically in their line of work- other players- front office people- advertisers- the list goes on forever.
k

3arod13
02-09-2009, 04:08 PM
Tony the only sad thing is he new he took it and flatly denied it several times. The only reason he would of ever admitted it, was because he caught. Lets be honest he would of kept this dirty secret forever. He didn't man up, and watched all of these others take the plunge.

With your military background and after reading your post, You sound like a very stand up guy. I doubt you would ever let a teammate go down or not take responsability for your actions. Thats just my opinion.

Been there and done that myself. I've lied and held my ground until I got caught and had no other choice but to admit it. I believe many of us have done that.

With Arod, I'm disappointed he used. I don't believe he need it. I do feel betrayed as an Arod fan.

However, we all know many, many players during this period used. Many will go undetected. Hey, where's Brady Anderson (50 HR season).

We all agree this is sad. But, it is what it is.

Myself, I want to move on. Arod will pay the price. We will never forget. I'll just see what he does with it from here.

Regards, Tony

schubert1970
02-09-2009, 04:10 PM
Funny thing though Bonds wasn't even one of the 104 names on the list. .

Send me a copy of the list since you know so much. Then you will be able to enlighten all of us. Read an article, not just the headline.

kellsox
02-09-2009, 04:16 PM
Kellsox,

There are no names in baseball that would surprise me if they were on that list(including red sox). Would I be disappointed if some of my favorite players tested positive- sure. I don't think I'd sit there and try to defend them or deflect criticism by throwing bombs out about other players/teams. The game is littered with speculation about hundreds of players but the fact is Arod is a proven and admitted user.

3arod13
02-09-2009, 04:20 PM
“They are looking in the wrong places,” Canseco said in a text message to The Associated Press. “This is a 25-year cover-up. The true criminals are Gene Orza, (union head) Donald Fehr and (commissioner) Bud (Selig). Investigate them, and you will have all the answers.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AhFtoOIRdbQj.0mHvvQFiXIRvLYF?slug=ap-rodriguez-steroids&prov=ap&type=lgns

Mr.3000
02-09-2009, 04:22 PM
“They are looking in the wrong places,” Canseco said in a text message to The Associated Press. “This is a 25-year cover-up. The true criminals are Gene Orza, (union head) Donald Fehr and (commissioner) Bud (Selig). Investigate them, and you will have all the answers.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AhFtoOIRdbQj.0mHvvQFiXIRvLYF?slug=ap-rodriguez-steroids&prov=ap&type=lgns

I have to agree with Canseco 100%.

The one thing I can say about him...he's been right so far.

Bondsgloves
02-09-2009, 04:26 PM
Send me a copy of the list since you know so much. Then you will be able to enlighten all of us. Read an article, not just the headline.

Read an article, not just the head line. Need anything else...? This one of many sources!

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/04/sports/baseball/04bonds.html?ref=sports

gingi79
02-09-2009, 04:42 PM
I think the worst part is the affect that A-Rod used steroids has on the GAME. If he cheated, who didn't? Frankly, considering how fans only seemed to care when it became factual versus hearsay and since MLB didn't care then and doesn't care now, does it really matter?

Baseball sold it soul years ago. They all cheated, I believe it in my heart. I trust no one in the game to be clean. As other posters have said, most people in life have cheated at something because all that matters to the average person anymore is money. You may have lied, cheated or bent the truth for some other reason but ballplayers cheat for money. Period. Put the Salary Cap at $1 million dollars and see what happens. Think the average player would play for $100,000? (more than 200% over what the average fans makes) The days of playing "for the love of the game" are over. It's time to embrace the fact that our heros are mortal men, succeptible to the same vices as the rest of us. Hell, Mickey Mantle as an asshole alcoholic. He ruined his liver, admitted to playing drunk and being a womanizer and is still beloved by fans. He even got a new liver because he was Mickey Friicking Mantle! Jim Rice was a dirtbag and treated the media like they were part of the Nazi party. Even they eventually forgave him and elected him to the Hall. This too shall pass.

I don't blame these guys for doing drugs because Bud Selig and Don Fehr are just as guilty as BALCO. Once revenue streams started to dip after the 1994 Strike, Baseball had to do something to get butts in seats again. I'm not saying they said it was ok to do whatever was necessary, I'm just saying that BALCO could send these two men dividend checks.

In 1998 Big Mac and Sosa were the reason for the most important season since the days of Mickey, Duke, Willie and Hank. I would argue that with the exception of maybe 1975 when Aaron broke Babe's record, it was the most popular Baseball had been since the 1930's. Billions of dollars were made by thousands of people. They could have shot up in front of kids during batting practice and NO ONE WOULD HAVE SAID ANYTHING. And lets not forget that Selig made $17.5 million dollars and all of this ALL OF IT, happened on his watch.

Yes, I am upset ballplayers (especially A-Roid) took steroids. I am more upset the retards in charge of the Atlanta Braves didn't resign John Smoltz. These would be two shining examples of why Baseball is a business and not a sport. Cuba Gooding Jr. had it right in "Jerry McGuire"......Show me the money.

The all mighty dollar wins and we lose again...........

mr.miracle
02-09-2009, 04:47 PM
I didn't even have to post. Eloquently said Tony.

For those who think Arod was using after the Rangers.....you gotta be nutz. With all the testing going on, do you really think in '07 he was dumb enough to take this stuff while pissing in a cup every few weeks.

HGH cannot be detected by any urine test. Unless the person taking it leaves a trail by credit card, cancelled check or their source turns on them, there is no possible way even to this day to tell if someone is using HGH. Not saying ARod continued to use or even used HGH at any point, but it amazes me how people still do not understand this fact. There is no current reliable test for HGH. Only a blood test which is also up for debate in terms of reliability, and therw is no blood testing in major pro sports.

cohibasmoker
02-09-2009, 04:57 PM

Bingo - my thoughts exactly and I'll leave it there.

David
02-09-2009, 05:05 PM
It's not hard to admit to something that everyone already knows.

I supposed next time I enter a room, I'll should tell the people that the blue shirt I'm wearing is a blue shirt and wait for the the cheers and applause for my honesty and moral fortitude. "We never would have known!," they'll gush. "If you hadn't told us, we would have died thinking it was an orange shoe!"

schubert1970
02-09-2009, 05:25 PM
Read an article, not just the head line. Need anything else...? This one of many sources!

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/04/sports/baseball/04bonds.html?ref=sports

I didn't see the list that everyone wants......Try reading the paper instead of sleeping under it. gezzzz.

Bondsgloves
02-09-2009, 05:34 PM
I didn't see the list that everyone wants......Try reading the paper instead of sleeping under it. gezzzz.

Did I ever say I had the list, I told you thats Bonds didn't test positive by MLB. I hate to break it to you, but, not everyone sleeps under the newspaper like you.

suicide_squeeze
02-09-2009, 06:00 PM
Look folks......

I think it's high time we all accept the fact that, wrong as it was......and it WAS.....there was a time that baseball went through a dark period, where the players mostly used PED's, and that's it. It happened, and we all just need to take a deep breath, and accept it for fact. Let's set up new stringent testing, levy high penalties for enforcement of found violators, and let's move forward and put this nasty "era" behind us.

Now? We have to "factor in" and "discount" all of the past 15-20 years of numbers put up by the players of that time because Selig has allowed the sport to be infiltrated with drugs, cheaters, and a "Me first at all costs" regime who has ruined the record books. During this time, in close contact, and agreement, apparently, is Fehr and the owners.

But the thing I think everyone needs to realize is that this great game of ours has had some serious WONDERFUL leaders in it's time. The late great Landis sat Babe's butt down when he disgraced the game, and set an example.....that NO ONE is bigger than the game.

Then there was the incomparable Giamatti. He showed Rose who the man was. Again..........the "man".....was "BASEBALL", not Pete, and banned him for life for violating the golden rule, according to the signs posted on EVERY major league locker room in the Nation: NO betting on baseball.

These were men, folks. MEN. They stood up for what was right.

They stood up for the history, the heritage, the integrity of our great game.

They didn't "fold" to the desires of popular opinion, or try to "fix" a game that didn't need fixing. The 1994 strike was painful for the fans, but blame greed, the Players Union, and enter Bud "Geek" Selig, who helps to oust Faye Vincent. That's when everything started to go wrong. Bud was nothing but the owners "Puppet", and he has F'ed up our beloved past time more than any of you can even begin to understand. In time, you will.

Selig is a disgrace, and needs to be removed from his position ASAP. His legacy to the game of baseball will go down as the most shameful time the game has ever seen, including ANY era or event one can mention (yes, including the 1919 "Black Sox"). This "steroid era" has assaulted the records books and statistics of a sport known for them, cherished by it's fans, and followed closely by historians.

The only thing that mattered in comparing the greats of this wonderful game was the assurance it was played on a level playing field. Selig has allowed just the opposite to occur in incredibly disgusting amounts of neglect in doing whats right for the game, for Governing it as he was supposed to. And for what?....all for the evil DOLLAR for the owners who have kept him there while their pockets were lined with green.

And speaking of "GREEN", we all now know what this maggot received for compensation last year. He is nothing more of a symbol of everything that is wrong in America. He, essentially, is just another "CEO' who has taken a massive paycheck for doing nothing more than running his "Corporation" into the ground head first. We demand better.....we need to fix this NOW.

Shame on you Selig, you piece of overpaid garbage. Show some true respect for the game you claim to love so much, and RESIGN immediately, if not sooner. Then we can all start to rebuild the game with a new Commissioner, one not "owned" by anyone in the game. Then we can enjoy it once again with clean players and a system set up to establish the integrity BACK into the game. It never should have been seperated from it in the first place. But it is a great game, so it will survive the "Selig" era too.

frikativ54
02-09-2009, 06:09 PM
If A-Rod lied before, how do we know that this "truth" is the whole truth? I mean, he could have done steroids both before or after when he claims. Who is being honest?

schubert1970
02-09-2009, 06:11 PM
Look folks......

Now? We have to "factor in" and "discount" all of the past 15-20 years of numbers put up by the players of that time because Selig has allowed the sport to be infiltrated with drugs, cheaters, and a "Me first at all costs" regime who has ruined the record books. During this time, in close contact, and agreement, apparently, is Fehr and the owners.

Are you kidding me? So with this logic we should adjust all records before African Americans were allow to play. Theis is just one example of many. Stop acting like the history of baseball started in your lifetime. Tell my why the numbers were all pure to begin with?

suicide_squeeze
02-09-2009, 06:12 PM
It doesn't matter anymore, Frik.....

It's a dead era.

We need to fix it, move on, and get back to the days with integrity built into the game.

It starts with ridding the sport of Selig.

suicide_squeeze
02-09-2009, 06:22 PM
Are you kidding me? So with this logic we should adjust all records before African Americans were allow to play. Theis is just one example of many. Stop acting like the history of baseball started in your lifetime. Tell my why the numbers were all pure to begin with?

schubert1970.........

I don't even know how to respond to your comment, but I'll try.

I am not saying anything like TAKE ALL OF THE NUMBERS out of the record books, or anything radical like that.

I am simply saying we need to understand that the "numbers" established during this time frame (15, 20, possibly 25 years from here backwards) have the likelyhood of being "warped" because of rampant steroid use by the stars of the game.....and even the regular Joes. So in effect, the historical statistics that give us a benchmark to compare players in different times....have been chemically and artificially ALTERED by something unnatural and unrelated to the game itself (like watered down pitching because of expansion, changing the amount of games played in a season, etc.).

If you can't understand that, then I certainly won't be able to ignite the light bulb above your head. It's a tainted time in the history of the sport. We need to accept that fact with all of these (continuing) revelations coming out about the players in this era, fix it, and move ON.

schubert1970
02-09-2009, 06:29 PM
schubert1970.........
If you can't understand that, then I certainly won't be able to ignite the light bulb above your head. It's a tainted time in the history of the sport. We need to accept that fact with all of these (continuing) revelations coming out about the players in this era, fix it, and move ON.

So baseball has never been tainted before? I think you guys live in Disneyland or maybe you're beginning to mature and understand the realaties of life.

suicide_squeeze
02-09-2009, 07:32 PM
So baseball has never been tainted before? I think you guys live in Disneyland or maybe you're beginning to mature and understand the realaties of life.

Do you want to be a little more "specific" in your argument? Or, do you just want to argue to "argue"?

I'm sure I speak for a lot of members here.......you aren't making a point of anykind, other than to just "disagree" with my comments.

What's your gripe? What part about ARTIFICIAL PERFORMANCE ENHANCEMENT ruining the historic stats for the last possible 20-25 years do you disagree with? Do you care to elaborate?

If not, don't sit here and spew ignorance about "maturing" and realities of life. What a cop-out comment that is. It makes you look rather childish yourself. Let me summize it for you one last time......

I don't believe there has ever been any significant serious DAMAGE in any era of baseball like there has been to it's most hallowed records by the current era of CHEATERS. And, it's all because of chemical enhancement. This could have been kept to a minumum if the Comissioner has done what he was supposed to do.....Govern the game, keep it on a fair playing field.

He failed miserably, and has spent the better part of this decade dressing it all with the appearance he cares to do something about it.

We don't NEED chemically morphysized MONSTERS blasting 550 foot home runs to keep fans coming. This game will endure because of it's beauty on it's own merits. What we need, is a level barometer throughout our history in which to measure the greatness of it's players over history. Selig BLEW it during his watch.......in a BAD way.

I say it all stinks. And every day the news just keeps getting WORSE.

A-Rod was supposed to break the "dirty" record. Now, he's "dirty" too. We need to accept that this isn't even close to the end of it. It was the environment in baseball, "loosey-goosey" attitude (towards the JUICE and use of it), as A-Rod put it. Well, let's END this costume party and get back to a fair and just game with integrity. THAT's ALL I was trying to say.

schubert1970
02-09-2009, 10:39 PM
[quote=suicide_squeeze;122704]Do you want to be a little more "specific" in your argument? Or, do you just want to argue to "argue"?

I'm sure I speak for a lot of members here.......you aren't making a point of anykind, other than to just "disagree" with my comments.

What's your gripe? What part about ARTIFICIAL PERFORMANCE ENHANCEMENT ruining the historic stats for the last possible 20-25 years do you disagree with? Do you care to elaborate?

quote]

I agree with you, but this isn't the only time in baseball where the stats are inflated/deflated because of changes. Pitchers in the teens and 20's use to scuff the baseballs and cheat. Wake up and read a bit on the history of baseball or go rent Baseball by Ken Burns.....you might be surprised about the enormous amount of gambling and cheating. Stop acting like your stats are sacrosanct when they're not I'll repeat, the history of the game didn't begin when you were born. Stats are a refection of time and era stop comparing the two or you'll keep being disappointed.

joelsabi
02-09-2009, 11:14 PM
Its good for baseball that ARod admitted usage of steroids from 2001-2003. Its good for baseball that ARod took the blame himself and did not blame the union. Its good for baseball that there is a steroid policy now in place to level the playing fields.

Baseball is resilient and will recover and I hope ARod recovers too.

mwbosoxfan
02-09-2009, 11:51 PM
Its good for baseball that ARod admitted usage of steroids from 2001-2003. Its good for baseball that ARod took the blame himself and did not blame the union.

I agree that it is good that A-Rod has admitted that he did do steroids instead of taking the Clemens route, but is anyone besides me think that after watching the Gammons interview that he is still not telling the truth. Has any player after being caught ever stepped up and said that they knew exactly what they were taking and what they were trying to achieve? He said that he honestly didn't know he actually tested positive until the SI gal told him about it when she tried to interview him last weekend. Huh? He said he hadn't even heard of the type of steroid that he had tested positive for? It is reported that the type of steroid is one of the most effective producing the greatest results. "I was naive." Please, are you kidding me? There seems to absolutely no accountability on any front - not from the players or Major League Baseball.

richpick
02-10-2009, 01:57 AM
So what does everyone think will happen to the value of AROD stuff. I believe it will depreciate as he was going to break the homerun record as the first clean guy since the steroid area.

He is really going to be dogged on the road this year and if he has an off year do you think the NY media will turn on him?

Richpick

nick1980
02-10-2009, 04:12 AM
I think Jose Canseco should get a free pass to the HOF if he hadn't opened this door then who knows how much longer this would have continued

nick1980
02-10-2009, 04:20 AM
schubert1970.........

I don't even know how to respond to your comment, but I'll try.

I am not saying anything like TAKE ALL OF THE NUMBERS out of the record books, or anything radical like that.

I am simply saying we need to understand that the "numbers" established during this time frame (15, 20, possibly 25 years from here backwards) have the likelyhood of being "warped" because of rampant steroid use by the stars of the game.....and even the regular Joes. So in effect, the historical statistics that give us a benchmark to compare players in different times....have been chemically and artificially ALTERED by something unnatural and unrelated to the game itself (like watered down pitching because of expansion, changing the amount of games played in a season, etc.).

My understanding of what he was trying to say is we don't * the Babe Ruths just because they faced $hitty pitchers do we? The game was totally different back then but there records still stand. I don't condone using steroids in anyway but it is what it is. Like said above before they allowed minorities to play we didn't * players, obviously baseball is much more competitive with minorities playing and who knows Babe Ruth might have been a nobody if he had some serious competition in his day???

suicide_squeeze
02-10-2009, 10:12 AM
My understanding of what he was trying to say is we don't * the Babe Ruths just because they faced $hitty pitchers do we? The game was totally different back then but there records still stand. I don't condone using steroids in anyway but it is what it is. Like said above before they allowed minorities to play we didn't * players, obviously baseball is much more competitive with minorities playing and who knows Babe Ruth might have been a nobody if he had some serious competition in his day???

nick1980 and shubert1970,

As I am relatively new here, I want to thank you both for enlightening me to the fact that this is not the place to have a cerebral discussion about.....well, ANYTHING.

I will be sure to remember that when I post in the future, and would expect to receive feedback on the level of both of yours.

By the way, Babe Ruth faced the best pitching on a concentrated basis, because there were only a dozen or so teams in the sport back then. That means he wasn't facing watered-down pitching talent.....only the best.

And in regards to other comments about spit-balls, pitchers scuffing the balls up, hell, even corked bats (my add-in), these are things that are all considered "incidentals" of the game, and have always been a part of it. They are inbred into the fabric of the game. Is it realistic to think they had an overwheming effect on the outcome of the record books like steroid use has?

Whatever.....the silliness of arguing any points here is futile. Later.

brianborsch
02-10-2009, 10:16 AM
Before we go around procaliming that players of the past were better than the players today, think about why that could be. Defensive players were not as good as they are today. Fields were in worse conditions. Pitchers pitched full games. Babe Ruth may not have faced off against the best pitchers of the game. Its too different to say. If Babe Ruth or Ty Cobb were alive and in their 20's today, i doubt they would hit like they did back then. The game is just different.

suicide_squeeze
02-10-2009, 10:29 AM

You know, I just can't let this go, nick1980. You really pissed me off with your ignorant comments.

HOW in the world can you even bother to COMMENT on ANYTHING relating to baseball when you make a general statement like "the Babe Ruths". I'll be generous and give you the benefit of the doubt that you were generalizing, and relating that comment to "the greats of the game". But you picked the wrong name, and your point is NOT well taken.

There was only one Babe Ruth, and he DOMINATED the sport like no other ever had before. He hit more home runs in single seasons than MOST of the other teams. To state that "Babe Ruth might have been a nobody if he had some serious competition in his day" is borderline retarded. When ONE player can DOMINATE a sport like he did, against the same competition EVERYONE ELSE in the league was facing.....DON'T you think that SEPERATES him from the rest, to be recognized for what he was.....the GOD of the sport?

It's a joke having to read drivel placed on these threads by people who have no clue what they're talking about. Do yourself a favor and READ what people write, and share your comments with your dog unless you can expel something meaningful. YEAH, I know, you're intitled to post your opinion. I just think it's a rediculously poor one. Getting back to the whole point of the thread, if you people can't see that steroids have damaged the game tremendously, then you don't have your eye on the ball. And ANY argument trying to lesson the impact of steroids on the game is just plain stupid.

Mr.3000
02-10-2009, 10:44 AM
You know, I just can't let this go, nick1980. You really pissed me off with your ignorant comments.

HOW in the world can you even bother to COMMENT on ANYTHING relating to baseball when you make a general statement like "the Babe Ruths". I'll be generous and give you the benefit of the doubt that you were generalizing, and relating that comment to "the greats of the game". But you picked the wrong name, and your point is NOT well taken.

There was only one Babe Ruth, and he DOMINATED the sport like no other ever had before. He hit more home runs in single seasons than MOST of the other teams. To state that "Babe Ruth might have been a nobody if he had some serious competition in his day" is borderline retarded. When ONE player can DOMINATE a sport like he did, against the same competition EVERYONE ELSE in the league was facing.....DON'T you think that SEPERATES him from the rest, to be recognized for what he was.....the GOD of the sport?

It's a joke having to read drivel placed on these threads by people who have no clue what they're talking about. Do yourself a favor and READ what people write, and share your comments with your dog unless you can expel something meaningful. YEAH, I know, you're intitled to post your opinion. I just think it's a rediculously poor one. Getting back to the whole point of the thread, if you people can't see that steroids have damaged the game tremendously, then you don't have your eye on the ball. And ANY argument trying to lesson the impact of steroids on the game is just plain stupid.

Some friendly advice. Take a step back and take a breather.

I can tell you from what I know of this site that posts like your last won't be tolerated very long here. Name calling, personal attacks and the such will result in your quick exit from these boards.

GUU is not like your average, run of the mill forum where hissy fits are thrown, name calling is tolerated and outlandishly heated debates are common place. Most here try, and succeed more often than not, to keep level heads and hold their tongues when nothing nice can be said.

There was absolutely no call for "drivel", "retarded", "stupid", "ignorant" to be directed at Nick1980 or anyone else.

As I said, just some friendly advice. Take it for what it's worth.

Thanks,
Jay

ndevlin
02-10-2009, 11:11 AM
GUU is not like your average, run of the mill forum where hissy fits are thrown, name calling is tolerated and outlandishly heated debates are common place.

I will have to sincerely disagree with you Jay:-)

ndevlin
02-10-2009, 11:16 AM
I can tell you from what I know of this site that posts like your last won't be tolerated very long here. Name calling, personal attacks and the such will result in your quick exit from these boards.

Whoops, forgot about this one too. I very nicely disagree:-)

suicide_squeeze
02-10-2009, 12:23 PM
Mr.3000,

I knew my post would illicit this type of response.

I wholeheartedly thank you for the words of advice. I understand clearly what you are telling me, and I do appreciate the friendly gesture.

I have to say that this being a GAME USED forum, I would expect that the collectors and users of this site would be a bit on the more experienced side of the mean. And for those who aren't, more the reason to be here as there is a BUNCH of insight to be obtained here by extremely knowedgeable people who are truly enlightening.

That said, I feel that it is to the best interest that knowledge be spread on issues that concern us all. Opinions, on the other hand, are just that, and everyone is entitled to theirs.

When you give one, I think it's naive to think you aren't going to receive the opposite kind in response to it. I did. And I have answered it the way I deemed fit.

I stand by every single word.

I was not attempting to be mean, rude or anything similar. I felt I was IN FACT treated that way by the response I got. Then, after trying to clear it up a bit, I had another Einstein agree with the first borderline-offensive comments back at me.

We're all adults here, folks. If you've got something to say, BRING IT!! If you're going to comment on something so blatantly obvious that WRONG in the world today, and is a symbol of a much LARGER problem intertwined in society today, man up and put the skirt away, for christ's sake. Expect a good debate......but if you come at me asking me if I live in Disneyland.......you had better be packing your boxing gloves, pal. AND.....if you're going to back up a chump comment like that, step up into the ring too.

I'm a debater, not a name caller. I felt my comments, albeit a bit harsh, were called for.

That said, I'll try to be more accomodating to your advice, Mr.3000, and allow the 20 and 30-somethings here to expel their ignorance any way they wish.;)

ldonley
02-10-2009, 12:26 PM
Thank you, A-Rod!

Sincerely,

M. Phelps:D

ndevlin
02-10-2009, 12:40 PM
Mr.3000,

I knew my post would illicit this type of response.

I wholeheartedly thank you for the words of advice. I understand clearly what you are telling me, and I do appreciate the friendly gesture.

I have to say that this being a GAME USED forum, I would expect that the collectors and users of this site would be a bit on the more experienced side of the mean. And for those who aren't, more the reason to be here as there is a BUNCH of insight to be obtained here by extremely knowedgeable people who are truly enlightening.

That said, I feel that it is to the best interest that knowledge be spread on issues that concern us all. Opinions, on the other hand, are just that, and everyone is entitled to theirs.

When you give one, I think it's naive to think you aren't going to receive the opposite kind in response to it. I did. And I have answered it the way I deemed fit.

I stand by every single word.

I was not attempting to be mean, rude or anything similar. I felt I was IN FACT treated that way by the response I got. Then, after trying to clear it up a bit, I had another Einstein agree with the first borderline-offensive comments back at me.

We're all adults here, folks. If you've got something to say, BRING IT!! If you're going to comment on something so blatantly obvious that WRONG in the world today, and is a symbol of a much LARGER problem intertwined in society today, man up and put the skirt away, for christ's sake. Expect a good debate......but if you come at me asking me if I live in Disneyland.......you had better be packing your boxing gloves, pal. AND.....if you're going to back up a chump comment like that, step up into the ring too.

I'm a debater, not a name caller. I felt my comments, albeit a bit harsh, were called for.

That said, I'll try to be more accomodating to your advice, Mr.3000, and allow the 20 and 30-somethings here to expel their ignorance any way they wish.;)

How old are you?

suicide_squeeze
02-10-2009, 12:47 PM
Just had my 49th birthday.

3arod13
02-10-2009, 12:48 PM
Just had my 49th birthday.

Happy Birthday! Mine was 26 January - 49!

ndevlin
02-10-2009, 12:50 PM
Oh , well happy late bday.

So what exactly were you implying about 20 and 30 somethings?

suicide_squeeze
02-10-2009, 01:23 PM
Before we go around procaliming that players of the past were better than the players today, think about why that could be. Defensive players were not as good as they are today. Fields were in worse conditions. Pitchers pitched full games. Babe Ruth may not have faced off against the best pitchers of the game. Its too different to say. If Babe Ruth or Ty Cobb were alive and in their 20's today, i doubt they would hit like they did back then. The game is just different.

Brian,

How is the game different? I mean.....BESIDES the rampant use of PED's?

"Defensive players were not as good as they are today"? That's quite a statement. Is that because they're FASTER? STRONGER? They handle the ball better because they wear better GLOVES?

Or is it, that what has REALLY changed the most........is the physical abilities of the superstars of the game because of something that wasn't in the "equation" back in the teen, 20's, 30's and so on?

You really think that Ty Cobb wouldn't TEAR UP today's pitching???

You really honestly believe that Babe Ruth wouldn't be the home run leader if he were reborn and played in todays game?

Really?

ELIMINATE STEROIDS from the equation, and from the pitchers who used them, and these two guys would DESTROY the watered down pitchers of this era, just like Pete Rose, Mike Schmidt, Tony Gwynn, George Brett, Rod Carew, and others have.

You are talking about the CREAM of the CROP in the HISTORY of the Sport.....baseball ROYALTY.....to say they wouldn't do well in todays game just isn't utilizing everything we know in common sense terms, IMO.

suicide_squeeze
02-10-2009, 01:38 PM
Oh , well happy late bday.

So what exactly were you implying about 20 and 30 somethings?

Nothing.

I was "assuming" by the numbers affixed to to the end of the two user names that the two gentlemen I were referring to were of that generation.

And therefore are more likely IMO to be collecting items from current players.

And are therefore more likely IMO to have items from a group who are crashing and burning in society's eyes.

And are therefore probably more inclined to disagree with my earlier comments, as they might be more inclined to "stick up" for their guys.

Look, I own a few of A-Rods pieces myself. Am I happy about all of this? Absolutely not. Like I said before, I think this all stinks. We are all being victimized by a group that has been allowed to destroy the integrity of the game. Selig must GO.....that's all.

For clarification (again), all I meant was that in viewing the "record books", we all need to have a basic understanding that the numbers coming out of this era are skewed. In our minds, we therefore have to discount them for what they are.....tainted.

If you want to disagree with that, go ahead. But you're only fooling yourself. This is an issue that will be debated for many many years to come, but the outcome will be the same.

"Steroid Era" = "skewed numbers"

"Selig Era" = MASSIVE amounts of money for cheating players who lined their pockets along with the owners.....who loved it all, so they backed Selig 100%....all while ruining the records of baseballs immortals who played the game on a much more level playing field.

Enough is enough....it all needs to end.

suicide_squeeze
02-10-2009, 01:39 PM
[quote=ndevlin;122948]Oh , well happy late bday.

And THANK YOU very much! :D

suicide_squeeze
02-10-2009, 01:44 PM
Happy Birthday! Mine was 26 January - 49!

I'm exactly two days older than you. Happy birthday to another smart Aquarian, Tony! :D

schubert1970
02-10-2009, 01:49 PM
[quote=suicide_squeeze;122956]Brian,

quote]

This is an ignoramus comment of monumental proportions.

Please look at the dimensions of Yankee Stadium (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yankee_Stadium). 490ft. currently 408ft. to center field...so should we adjust all stats because Ruth had to hit in a larger park. Hank Aaron had it easy (park dimension), do you think his number is better than Ruth? I'm not saying one is better than the other. My point is baseball continues to evlove and change more that you would care to admit.

Jim Kaat admited last night he cheated while piching by placing pine tar on the baseball. Guess you better adjust his numbers too. Didn't Ruth drink during prohibition? That would have been a banned substance? The list goes on and on.....so keep thinking the game is as pure and the same as it always has been except for the use of PED's.

suicide_squeeze
02-10-2009, 01:56 PM
[quote=suicide_squeeze;122956]Brian,

quote]

This is an ignoramus comment of monumental proportions.

Please look at the dimensions of Yankee Stadium (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yankee_Stadium). 490ft. currently 408ft. to center field...so should we adjust all stats because Ruth had to hit in a larger park. Hank Aaron had it easy (park dimension), do you think his number is better than Ruth? I'm not saying one is better than the other. My point is baseball continues to evlove and change more that you would care to admit.

Jim Kaat admited last night he cheated while piching by placing pine tar on the baseball. Guess you better adjust his numbers too. Didn't Ruth drink during prohibition? That would have been a banned substance? The list goes on and on.....so keep thinking the game is as pure and the same as it always has been except for the use of PED's.

Thanks for proving my point to a tee, schubert1970.

I'll just wait for another thread to have a debate with a baseball historian who can actually figure things out.......not someone who cares to discuss the incidentals of baseball over the years while ignoring the SINGLE MOST DAMAGING EFFECT on it's record books ever infiltrating the sport.

Regards,

ignoramus Steve

nick1980
02-10-2009, 01:58 PM
Look man if Babe Ruth is your uncle I'm sorry, I was generalizing about the older greats of the game. I will still stand behind my belief that those players wouldn't be the same if they played today. Did I say they wouldn't be good, NO. Things have changed. Hey I think very highly of Babe Ruth he was absolutely the best of his time and impossible to do a straight comparison, he was a larger than life figure. Also in no way do I condone steroid use and I'm not sticking up for the guys of my generation, all I was doing was bringing up a point that other era's of baseball have had it's advantages and disadvantages also.

All I can say is if these guys get into the HOF Pete Rose better also

schubert1970
02-10-2009, 02:21 PM
[quote=schubert1970;122962]

Thanks for proving my point to a tee, schubert1970.

I'll just wait for another thread to have a debate with a baseball historian who can actually figure things out.......not someone who cares to discuss the incidentals of baseball over the years while ignoring the SINGLE MOST DAMAGING EFFECT on it's record books ever infiltrating the sport.

Regards,

ignoramus Steve

Guess racism wasn't all that big of deal either. Good Point!

joelsabi
02-10-2009, 10:44 PM
Laughter is the best medicine.

Top Ten Messages Left on Alex Rodriguez’s Answering Machine
As read by David Letterman on The Late Show

10. “Hey, it’s Mark McGwire. Want to get together this week and not talk about the past?”
9. “Joe Torre here — thanks for helping book sales”
8. “Could you find a steroid that keeps you from choking in the playoffs?”
7. “Are you worried this will taint all the championships you didn’t win?”
6. “It’s Bernie Madoff. Nice try but I’m still the most hated man in New York”
5. “Michael Phelps here. Got any snacks?”
4. “This is Sammy Sosa. Just pretend you don’t speak English”
3. “Michael Phelps again. Did I call you or did you call me?”
2. “Hey, it’s Rod Blagojevich — I’ll say you’re innocent, if you say I am”
1. “It’s Madonna. You got a phone number for Jeter?”

Mr.3000
02-10-2009, 11:28 PM
Laughter is the best medicine.

Top Ten Messages Left on Alex Rodriguez’s Answering Machine
As read by David Letterman on The Late Show

10. “Hey, it’s Mark McGwire. Want to get together this week and not talk about the past?”
9. “Joe Torre here — thanks for helping book sales”
8. “Could you find a steroid that keeps you from choking in the playoffs?”
7. “Are you worried this will taint all the championships you didn’t win?”
6. “It’s Bernie Madoff. Nice try but I’m still the most hated man in New York”
5. “Michael Phelps here. Got any snacks?”
4. “This is Sammy Sosa. Just pretend you don’t speak English”
3. “Michael Phelps again. Did I call you or did you call me?”
2. “Hey, it’s Rod Blagojevich — I’ll say you’re innocent, if you say I am”
1. “It’s Madonna. You got a phone number for Jeter?”

LOL :D

suicide_squeeze
02-11-2009, 12:38 AM
joelsabi,

Thanks. I think we all needed that. That was hysterical.

Regards,

Steve

allstarsplus
02-16-2009, 09:11 AM
Jamie Moyer who was teammates with ARod back in Seattle talks candidly about ARod and the Hall of Fame, etc. OUCH

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/sports/20090215_Moyer__A-Rod_fell_a_long_way.html

3arod13
02-16-2009, 01:29 PM
Jamie Moyer who was teammates with ARod back in Seattle talks candidly about ARod and the Hall of Fame, etc. OUCH

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/sports/20090215_Moyer__A-Rod_fell_a_long_way.html

I will start by saying I do not accept any form of cheating or finding a way to get an edge on others.

Kills me how some accept some forms of cheating and some not. There has been cheating going on in baseball for a lont time. Cheating is cheating!

Putting something on a baseball to get it to do things it normally wouldn't do, is cheating. This act gives the pitcher an edge over the hitter. Is this fair to the hitter? NO!!! Is this cheating? YES!!!!

cjw
02-16-2009, 01:41 PM
I will start by saying I do not accept any form of cheating or finding a way to get an edge on others.

Kills me how some accept some forms of cheating and some not. There has been cheating going on in baseball for a lont time. Cheating is cheating!

Putting something on a baseball to get it to do things it normally wouldn't do, is cheating. This act gives the pitcher an edge over the hitter. Is this fair to the hitter? NO!!! Is this cheating? YES!!!!

I agree. What records are unaffected by cheating? Where would one stop in revising the record books?

I Just finished an interesting book entitled "The Echoing Green: The Untold Story of Bobby Thomson, Ralph Branca and the Shot Heard Round the World" by Joshua Prager.

It clearly outlines the sign stealing via telescope perpetrated by the Giants in 1951 to win the penannt over the Dodgers. Thomson went on to a great career filled with endorsements etc and the homerun (along with injuries) effectively ended Branca's career.

3arod13
02-16-2009, 02:04 PM
I agree. What records are unaffected by cheating? Where would one stop in revising the record books?

I Just finished an interesting book entitled "The Echoing Green: The Untold Story of Bobby Thomson, Ralph Branca and the Shot Heard Round the World" by Joshua Prager.

It clearly outlines the sign stealing via telescope perpetrated by the Giants in 1951 to win the penannt over the Dodgers. Thomson went on to a great career filled with endorsements etc and the homerun (along with injuries) effectively ended Branca's career.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/cheat/columns/story?columnist=crasnick_jerry&id=2960346

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/41532/a_needtoknow_basis_cheating_methods.html?cat=14

cjclong
02-16-2009, 02:07 PM
I understand those who feel that no one who has used steroids or other PED's should be in the Hall of Fame. That is a value judgment each of us make. For myself, I think that if you can separate a player's accomplishments from his steroid usage he should be considered for the HOF. For instance, if Barry Bonds had retired from baseball before the allegations of steroid use were made he would probably have been a HOF player. Suppose we find that Alex Rodrriguez only used steroids for 3 years (I know we can't know for sure, but make the assumption) and you subtract his time with Texas and he still was in the high 600 or 700 home runs? What would we do if it were found a player who has recently been voted into the HOF used steroids? Vote him out? I understand and respect those who say no one with steroid useage should be in the Hall. That is a laudable standard. But we don't ban players who test positive now and only penalize them by suspending them for various lenghts of time. I guess on this I'm more inclinded to be forgving and willing to look at a players entire career, but I understand the other point of view.

frikativ54
02-16-2009, 02:56 PM
Honestly, who is clean? I think all this blaming of A-Rod is selective outrage, namely, finding a scapegoat for what everybody did. A-Rod shouldn't have done what he did, but he admitted to it, and now we as fans have to forgive him. Just like we forgive a nobody who tested positive for steroids. I don't think he is not a HOFer just because of steroids. He was also facing competition that was also on the juice.

-Frik

Rob L
02-20-2009, 12:54 PM
Not that I believed he was completely truthful at his press conference, but sounds like he has more 'splaining to do:

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/29294521/

JasonM33
02-20-2009, 02:22 PM
Honestly, who is clean? I think all this blaming of A-Rod is selective outrage, namely, finding a scapegoat for what everybody did. A-Rod shouldn't have done what he did, but he admitted to it, and now we as fans have to forgive him. Just like we forgive a nobody who tested positive for steroids. I don't think he is not a HOFer just because of steroids. He was also facing competition that was also on the juice.

-Frik

With all due respect, no, he did not admit it. He is continuing to lie about this. The thing he supposedly apologized for is a ruse. That stuff is not what caused his positive test. He is in damage control mode. He is apologizing for something lesser than what he really did in order to throw us off the case. He is trying to minimize the hit to his reputation. I don't believe a word that this POS says. The problem in my mind is not that they cheated. The problem is that they have such a low regard for my intelligence as a fan that they will pretend....

1. That they didn't know what they were putting into their bodies.

2. That they were ignorant of how to use it so it probably didn't even help them.

3. That they only took something effedra based for "energy" and not GH or Testosterone and the like.

4. That they only took it for a very short time and now they are clean.

BALONEY! Just because I'm not a rich billionaire don't think of me as a fool. Their stories are constantly changing and they have no problem lying right to my face as a fan. F these guys. All of them.

David
02-20-2009, 02:45 PM
I don't think even ARod's supporters really believe his "I was a naive young ten year veteran" schtict." He knew what he was doing and taking, including making up the fantasy story for the press. Turns out the drug he named in the press coverage is illegal without prescription in the D.R. Either made up the drug name in attempt to hide other, worse drugs he used or he used the drug illegaly (black market). His "innocent" story of how he "took over the counter drugs" is just a story. The drug he named couldn't have been taken over the counter.

David
02-20-2009, 03:12 PM
I should add that the only way anyone lets his untrained cousin inject something into him is if you know it's illegal (heroin, steroids, other) or otherwise wrong.

Any sane, law abiding citizen is going to stick to shots from nurses, doctors or other medically trained and certified officials. Uncle Bud and Aunt Louis are not on the list of people who I allow to give me my flu shot.

Now, if you're a heroin addict in an ally or taking illegal steroids, then it would be believable you'd let your Cousin Vinny give you the shot

Bondsgloves
02-20-2009, 03:21 PM
All of sudden- McGwire doesn't look like such an idiot. At least he didn't lie.

I think ARod may come out of this looking like a real fool. If more information starts to leak and more information comes out, that ARod wasn't truthful.

JasonM33
02-20-2009, 04:10 PM
I'm so sick of these guys and their a**hole lawyers finding ways to appear as though they are apologizing without actually apologizing. It's very insulting.

suicide_squeeze
02-20-2009, 04:11 PM
A-Rod is starting to show evidence that he in fact did come straight from high school into the majors. "College" helps to develope brain exercized thought. He is lacking the training, and it's obvious.

The continued stupidity is flowing from his uneducated skull. You would think by now, especially with his resources, that he would have come out with a better explanation than the spewage he delivered. Where's the hired lawyers to help him through it?.....to "think" for him, and verify what he was going to say was "O.K."? Did he not learn from the Bonds and Clemens of the world??? I mean, my GOD......REALLY? His "cousin"?

Good grief, Charlie Rodriguez.

If he felt so much pressure to perform because of the huge contract.....the pressure to be one of the "greatest ever", then maybe he should have failed naturally if he just couldn't handle it. He chose to take the BIG BUCKS route. He HAS no excuses.....and he's lying his way through it, and it's just going to get uglier.

We HAVE reached the point in sports where the athletes TRULY are NOT worth the money they are being paid. If they get boo'ed off the field in disgrace, so be it! They'll just go home to their CASTLES and all will be hunky-dory in their own little "worlds".

I never thought I'd say this, but A-Rod's done too. Another great ballplayer, sucked in by all the hype, contractural promise, and self-absorbed egotistical ways........now, never to see the Hall of Fame.

If ANY of you think he only used from 2001-2003, check the 1998 stats and his jump in homers from 1997 on. It's OBVIOUS he starting using in 1998, most likely along with EVERYBODY ELSE in MLB who cared about what McGwire did at the end of 1997 with the Cardinals. Yes, they all wanted a piece of it. So.....they asked questions, got answers, and went down the sell-your-soul path.

Now? Deal with it cheaters.

xpress34
02-20-2009, 05:15 PM
What a freakin' douche.

While I'm no A$$ Rod fan, I did give him the benefit of the doubt after his news conference... I knew he wasn't laying everything out there, but it certainly apeared to be sincere - and more than anyone else had offered up...

And now this? I hope MLB finds a link to his 2007 season and bans his sorry @$$... but they won't because he is still their 'Golden Boy' playing for THE team...

Again, I say release the entire list of names, can Bud Selig and Donald Fehr, get a commissioner with some teeth like good ole Kenesaw Mountain Landis and get out game straightened out.

Fehr, Selig and prima donnas like @$$ Rod have just given the game a black eye, they've suckered punched it to the point that it;s about to go down for the count.

Stop all the lying - have some open transparency to the fans - and fix this before it destroys itself...

- Chris

Vintagedeputy
02-20-2009, 05:16 PM
Arod is making me sad to be a Yankee fan with all this crap.

I saw him in 98 or 99 here in Richmond at a card show. He signed 2 All Star commemorative bats for me. I think the price was $25 per signature or so. He signed and then rolled both bats across the table to me which of course pissed me off. I simply thought he had an attitude problem. Now I see that he's just a nitwit like so many others.

Funny thing is, one of the bats is also signed by his partner in crime, Rafael Palmeiro