PDA

View Full Version : BMH - What is the story with bat model BO16?

sylbry
02-10-2009, 01:49 PM
Hi Brian,

I have always wondered what the story is with the bat model BO16. The model designation is unconventional for Louisville Slugger. Was it originally meant as a promotional bat for Bo Jackson or was it a pro model designed for him? Was it even originally made with Bo in mind?

If it is a pro model, was it made in any certain length, weight, and finish during any specific labelling period?

Thanks for your help in clearing up a mystery.

Bryan

BMH
02-10-2009, 11:55 PM
Some players like Bo asked if they could have their own model numbers. I don't know what the BO16 stands for. I can ask tomorrow.

I can't think of the guys name at the moment, I'm sure it will come to me after I post this but he wanted the first letters of his kids names and their ages...FU18. We did decline that one, since it happened to be a teammates jersey number.

sylbry
02-11-2009, 09:45 AM
I always assumed it was a combination of his nickname "Bo" and his jersey number "16". So he asked for that bat model? Is it similar to another bat, say the J93, a bat he used a lot during his career? Or was the BO16 a new bat? How often did he order it?

I recall seeing a Gary Gaetti BO16 bat from his days with the Cardinals.

FU18 sounds more like a passive-aggressive statement towards his teammate who wore the number 18.

eisenreich8
02-11-2009, 10:33 AM
I own several Jim Eisenreich GU bats from his Royals days that are LVS BO16 models. I will check tonight to see if they are all identical in length, etc. I do recall reading somewhere the connection to Bo Jackson specs. They played for KC at the same time. I'll post tonight.