PDA

View Full Version : Finally - An Article About Steriods That Doesn't Just Blame Tejada, A-Rod and the Rest

trsent
02-10-2009, 11:08 PM
Selig, Fehr don’t deserve walks - By Jeff Passan, Yahoo! Sports

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AlWPykDjI_y2qpIjGLbJCNc5nYcB?slug=jp-tejada021009&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

When Miguel Tejada stands before a Washington court Wednesday morning and pleads guilty to giving false statements to Congressional staffers, he likely will offer an apology. Steroid cheats finally understand the quickest way to salvation is contrition, however insincere and scripted and full of caveats and vague and cloying and slanderous – did Alex Rodriguez find a new shade of lipstick for his? – it may be.

It’s very simple, these words: I’m sorry. A-Rod mixed it in amid his excuses, and Tejada will say it to U.S. Magistrate Alan Kay as he tries to avoid jail time for playing dumb when investigators questioned him about Rafael Palmeiro’s steroid use. In New York, the two people who really should be saying it – who should have said it long, long ago – will watch as another casualty of the culture they supported gives baseball one more snapshot for its steroid scrapbook.

Bud Selig and Don Fehr, Major League Baseball’s commissioner and its players’ union chieftain, respectively, did not tell players to inject performance-enhancing drugs and swallow muscle-swelling tablets and rub hormone-laden cream all over their bodies. They could not control the actions of adults. Yet they are the sport’s keepers, and just because something was of others’ making does not absolve them from responsibility.

Let Selig chirp on about how the game is experiencing a great renaissance and let his apologists parrot him like good little puppets. Revenues and attendance don’t make a renaissance. Under Selig and Fehr’s leadership, the greatest pitcher and hitter have had grand juries called to investigate whether they perjured themselves, the best player just spent a half hour telling the world how he cheated, the ultimate home run masher went all J.D. Salinger, 103 others are gnawing their nails in hopes their names don’t surface and a former MVP – one from abject poverty who made something of himself before he gave in to the devil on his shoulder – is pressing his nicest suit and hoping for probation and nothing more.

And still, no apology.

Selig and Fehr have done everything they can to avoid one. I’m sorry. Three syllables impeded only by pride. Saying sorry takes ownership, something Selig and Fehr have avoided from the beginning of the steroid scandal to now, perhaps its nadir after months of peace and quiet had rendered it barely an issue.

Stars define their sports, and baseball’s have spent the last five years under indictment, by either the court of law or public opinion. Disgrace continues to course through baseball, and no matter how active Selig and Fehr have been in advocating a stronger drug program – the current one is the best among American sports, though doping experts pick it apart like vultures on a carcass – their inaction during the height of steroid use continues to fester.

They thought they amputated the problem. Instead, a phantom limb haunts them.

First it’s Mark McGwire, then Barry Bonds, then Roger Clemens and now Rodriguez. Important records are fraudulent. World Series winners were filled with steroid users. Philadelphia reliever J.C. Romero tested positive Aug. 26 for using a banned supplement. Under the ludicrous appeal rules, he continued playing all the way through the World Series, where he pitched 4 2/3 scoreless innings and won the series-clinching game.
So, no, it’s not just the past for which baseball’s fan base deserves an apology, though that is what needs the most redressing. Selig and Fehr have insulated themselves with a wall of ignorance. They didn’t know this. They didn’t understand that. And, hey, look, the NFL is doing it, too, so why doesn’t it catch nearly the flak baseball does on the performance-enhancing drug problem?

The public is not a 2-year-old easily distracted by shiny objects and Tonka trucks. Yes, there is a double standard with professional football. In no way does that lessen what was allowed to happen in baseball, and let’s be clear: This was no passive activity on Selig and Fehr’s behalf. This is their sport. Anything that happens under their watch was allowed.

At best they fiddled while Rome burned. At worst they watched the arsonists strike the matches.

And so we’re left with a sport in flux, and some would posit that calling it a sport is tantamount to calling the WWE a sport. When you take the rules of a game and so blatantly flout them, is it still a game? Or is it some bastardized version that people still love because it was so close to perfection in the first place, it would be tough to wreck it, even with the acidic potion of selfishness and greed?

Selig tried to own the problem by ordering the Mitchell Report. For $20 million, it bought him one big name – Clemens – and the headaches that followed. And as much as turning an investigator’s eye on the game spoke of Selig and Fehr’s desire to rid baseball of performance-enhancing drugs, it didn’t resonate nearly like admissions of guilt.

There is still time. No statute of limitations exists on apologies. More names are bound to leak, more shame bound to glom itself to baseball. Nearly four years ago now, Congress held its first hearings on steroid use in baseball. The title was: “Restoring Faith in America’s Pastime.”

It’s still possible.

Three simple syllables.

One huge step.

cjclong
02-11-2009, 09:24 AM
News reports say Tejada is pleading guilty to not telling the truth about steroid use by his teammates in Oakland and it has nothing to do with Palmeiro. When people write stories they ought to get their facts right.

trsent
02-11-2009, 01:32 PM
News reports say Tejada is pleading guilty to not telling the truth about steroid use by his teammates in Oakland and it has nothing to do with Palmeiro. When people write stories they ought to get their facts right.

I always found the Tejada story to be really sad. The government has nothing better to do than worry about drug abusers and not drug dealers and pushers.

Last time I checked the economy was down and there were still children fighting a battle overseas but the government is obsessed with drug users, not dealers. So odd. So sad.

whatupyos
02-11-2009, 02:21 PM
Is it just me, or I am the only one who's sick and tired of hearing about 'roids. Its an ugly part of the game, lets get over it. I don't care who used, who only did it once, who abused. I'm over it. I wish it wasn't such a focal point. There are more important things for the governement to be investigating that 'roids in baseball. Baseball is making efforts to clean it up. Good, lets move on. I'm sure we'll hear more names in the future. Who cares, I'm sooooo over it already. If people want to put harmful things into their bodies, so be it, just as long as it doesn't affect me and or my money having to help people like that out.

Its not like there is no drug abuse in football. But sure, lets make baseball be the bad guy. I've worked in 5 gyms and believe most people in them are on something. Look at the size of football players. They trump baseball players in terms of size and strength. You can't convince me that they aren't getting unnatural help.

Aaron

cjclong
02-11-2009, 02:24 PM
The chairman of one of the House committees echoed your sentiments and said with the economic problems they needed to concentrate on that rather than investigate baseball players.

cjw
02-11-2009, 02:31 PM
The chairman of one of the House committees echoed your sentiments and said with the economic problems they needed to concentrate on that rather than investigate baseball players.

Amen to that!

suicide_squeeze
02-11-2009, 02:46 PM
Selig, Fehr don’t deserve walks - By Jeff Passan, Yahoo! Sports

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AlWPykDjI_y2qpIjGLbJCNc5nYcB?slug=jp-tejada021009&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

When Miguel Tejada stands before a Washington court Wednesday morning and pleads guilty to giving false statements to Congressional staffers, he likely will offer an apology. Steroid cheats finally understand the quickest way to salvation is contrition, however insincere and scripted and full of caveats and vague and cloying and slanderous – did Alex Rodriguez find a new shade of lipstick for his? – it may be.

It’s very simple, these words: I’m sorry. A-Rod mixed it in amid his excuses, and Tejada will say it to U.S. Magistrate Alan Kay as he tries to avoid jail time for playing dumb when investigators questioned him about Rafael Palmeiro’s steroid use. In New York, the two people who really should be saying it – who should have said it long, long ago – will watch as another casualty of the culture they supported gives baseball one more snapshot for its steroid scrapbook.

Bud Selig and Don Fehr, Major League Baseball’s commissioner and its players’ union chieftain, respectively, did not tell players to inject performance-enhancing drugs and swallow muscle-swelling tablets and rub hormone-laden cream all over their bodies. They could not control the actions of adults. Yet they are the sport’s keepers, and just because something was of others’ making does not absolve them from responsibility.

Let Selig chirp on about how the game is experiencing a great renaissance and let his apologists parrot him like good little puppets. Revenues and attendance don’t make a renaissance. Under Selig and Fehr’s leadership, the greatest pitcher and hitter have had grand juries called to investigate whether they perjured themselves, the best player just spent a half hour telling the world how he cheated, the ultimate home run masher went all J.D. Salinger, 103 others are gnawing their nails in hopes their names don’t surface and a former MVP – one from abject poverty who made something of himself before he gave in to the devil on his shoulder – is pressing his nicest suit and hoping for probation and nothing more.

And still, no apology.

Selig and Fehr have done everything they can to avoid one. I’m sorry. Three syllables impeded only by pride. Saying sorry takes ownership, something Selig and Fehr have avoided from the beginning of the steroid scandal to now, perhaps its nadir after months of peace and quiet had rendered it barely an issue.

Stars define their sports, and baseball’s have spent the last five years under indictment, by either the court of law or public opinion. Disgrace continues to course through baseball, and no matter how active Selig and Fehr have been in advocating a stronger drug program – the current one is the best among American sports, though doping experts pick it apart like vultures on a carcass – their inaction during the height of steroid use continues to fester.

They thought they amputated the problem. Instead, a phantom limb haunts them.

First it’s Mark McGwire, then Barry Bonds, then Roger Clemens and now Rodriguez. Important records are fraudulent. World Series winners were filled with steroid users. Philadelphia reliever J.C. Romero tested positive Aug. 26 for using a banned supplement. Under the ludicrous appeal rules, he continued playing all the way through the World Series, where he pitched 4 2/3 scoreless innings and won the series-clinching game.
So, no, it’s not just the past for which baseball’s fan base deserves an apology, though that is what needs the most redressing. Selig and Fehr have insulated themselves with a wall of ignorance. They didn’t know this. They didn’t understand that. And, hey, look, the NFL is doing it, too, so why doesn’t it catch nearly the flak baseball does on the performance-enhancing drug problem?

The public is not a 2-year-old easily distracted by shiny objects and Tonka trucks. Yes, there is a double standard with professional football. In no way does that lessen what was allowed to happen in baseball, and let’s be clear: This was no passive activity on Selig and Fehr’s behalf. This is their sport. Anything that happens under their watch was allowed.

At best they fiddled while Rome burned. At worst they watched the arsonists strike the matches.

And so we’re left with a sport in flux, and some would posit that calling it a sport is tantamount to calling the WWE a sport. When you take the rules of a game and so blatantly flout them, is it still a game? Or is it some bastardized version that people still love because it was so close to perfection in the first place, it would be tough to wreck it, even with the acidic potion of selfishness and greed?

Selig tried to own the problem by ordering the Mitchell Report. For $20 million, it bought him one big name – Clemens – and the headaches that followed. And as much as turning an investigator’s eye on the game spoke of Selig and Fehr’s desire to rid baseball of performance-enhancing drugs, it didn’t resonate nearly like admissions of guilt.

There is still time. No statute of limitations exists on apologies. More names are bound to leak, more shame bound to glom itself to baseball. Nearly four years ago now, Congress held its first hearings on steroid use in baseball. The title was: “Restoring Faith in America’s Pastime.”

It’s still possible.

Three simple syllables.

One huge step.

If Selig and Fehr were running a baseball league in, say, Iran?

They would be hung publicly.

kingjammy24
02-11-2009, 04:08 PM
maybe i'm reading some bizarre stuff, but over the past month i've seen nothing else dominate the headlines like the current economic stimulus and the government's attempts to address the economic mess.

as well, i believe the DEA is still active and continues to pursue drug dealers and i imagine many of our current correctional facilities process drug dealers on a daily basis. on a daily basis, i have to think that local and state constabularies focus a good amount of effort on drug enforcement. yet, incredibly, at the same time, other arms of government work to address other issues. the funny thing about this government is that it's so large that it has the ability to do more than 1 thing at a time. should we take every man and woman in every government agency and dedicate them 24/7 to the economic recovery? don't we already have enough folks working on that as is?

joel, are you aware that the law enforcement folks who continue to pursue drug dealers on a daily basis can't really do much in terms of the economic recovery? what exactly do you propose...having the DEA whip up a stimulus package of their own?

i don't believe cheating in professional sports will ever go away so long as the dollar amounts involved are so astronomical. you're giving tens and sometimes hundreds of millions of dollars to kids from lower class neighborhoods and impoverished island nations and you're thinking they won't continue to risk everything to make that kind of money? where would pedro martinez or sammy sosa be without baseball? the side effects of steroids and the public stigma are a relatively small price to pay for being taken from poverty to a lifetime of riches. by the time his current yankee contract is over, arod will have made over $500mm. what would you do for $500mm? something tells me a lot of people would eagerly step way over the line for that kind of money. they already do it in this hobby for a lot less. why did chris boyd doctor a bunch of bats? so a man who professes to be a millionaire could make an extra $300? what if you upp'd that pot to $20million or $60million? how egregious would the behavior become then? whenever there's a ton of money to be made, people will always bend the rules as far as they can.

rudy.

trsent
02-11-2009, 04:14 PM
maybe i'm reading some bizarre stuff, but over the past month i've seen nothing else dominate the headlines like the current economic stimulus and the government's attempts to address the economic mess.

as well, i believe the DEA is still active and continues to pursue drug dealers and i imagine many of our current correctional facilities process drug dealers on a daily basis. on a daily basis, i have to think that local and state constabularies focus a good amount of effort on drug enforcement. yet, incredibly, at the same time, other arms of government work to address other issues. the funny thing about this government is that it's so large that it has the ability to do more than 1 thing at a time. should we take every man and woman in every government agency and dedicate them 24/7 to the economic recovery? don't we already have enough folks working on that as is?

joel, are you aware that the law enforcement folks who continue to pursue drug dealers on a daily basis can't really do much in terms of the economic recovery? what exactly do you propose...having the DEA whip up a stimulus package of their own?

i don't believe cheating in professional sports will ever go away so long as the dollar amounts involved are so astronomical. you're giving tens and sometimes hundreds of millions of dollars to kids from lower class neighborhoods and impoverished island nations and you're thinking they won't continue to risk everything to make that kind of money? where would pedro martinez or sammy sosa be without baseball? the side effects of steroids and the public stigma are a relatively small price to pay for being taken from poverty to a lifetime of riches. by the time his current yankee contract is over, arod will have made over $500mm. what would you do for $500mm? something tells me a lot of people would eagerly step way over the line for that kind of money. they already do it in this hobby for a lot less. why did chris boyd doctor a bunch of bats? so a man who professes to be a millionaire could make an extra $300? what if you upp'd that pot to $20million or $60million? how egregious would the behavior become then? whenever there's a ton of money to be made, people will always bend the rules as far as they can.

rudy.

Rudy, points well taken and accepted, but I always though society should go after drug dealers and not the addicts. This is just a case of them going after the addicts since they are high profile people. Notice how no big news has come public about small time minor league baseball players who abused Steroids or HGH? Has Congress found any of these players who never made it in the majors to investigate? We all know they exist, right?

Go after the big fish is how they do it now, and as an American I am embarrassed by our government's effort in this situation.