PDA

View Full Version : Sports' All-Time Ugliest Uniforms

camarokids
02-11-2009, 11:47 AM
A pretty cool article I found reading the news this morning.....

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/galleries/sports_alltime_ugliest_uniforms/sports_alltime_ugliest_uniforms.html#ph0

ndevlin
02-11-2009, 11:51 AM
I actually think Oregons jerseys, both football and basketball, are pretty cool.

tbone90
02-11-2009, 01:06 PM
1976 Cleveland Indians in head to toe tomato red. Boog Powell's best imitation of a fire truck ever...

eisenreich8
02-11-2009, 01:09 PM
CWS unis with the big collars and the shorts. Pathetic!

godwulf
02-11-2009, 01:23 PM
Their #1 pick, the '76 White Sox and their shorts and collared jerseys, was really more incredibly impractical and bizarre, as a Baseball uni, than it was ugly.

When I first read "Ugliest Uniforms", I thought immediately of the Houston outfits of the late '70s-early '80s, which the article placed at #3.

After seeing that fringed monstrosity apparently worn by the "Caribou of Colorado" (I don't even know what sport they played), though, the Houston uniforms have dropped to second, in my estimation. That had to have been designed by some team official's wife, don't you imagine?

intheminors
02-11-2009, 01:42 PM
What a huge injustice that my beloved Cowboys are not mentioned...

18520 18521 18522

encinorick
02-11-2009, 01:58 PM
What about Penn State football uniforms? They all look like a bunch of aspirins looking for a bottle and some cotten.

cjw
02-11-2009, 02:26 PM
OK. it must be that I am a child of the 1970's and a teenager of the 198o's , but I like most of these uni's! Not the NHL jersey shown from the 1990's but the White Sox 1976 era jersey, while unique and classic 1970's thinking to me. The Padres - i prefer the white juersey with bron and gold accents, but this is way better than the Yankees boring gray.

We are family - love the pill box hats! (not sure who can pull off the fashion syle in '09, however.

Perhaps I have no taste? Oh well....I can live with that.

karamaxjoe
02-11-2009, 07:26 PM
The 1976 White Sox uni may be ugly to you all, but THEY WILL ALWAYS BE BEAUTIFUL TO ME!!!!!

grenda12
02-11-2009, 08:05 PM
The 1976 White Sox uni may be ugly to you all, but THEY WILL ALWAYS BE BEAUTIFUL TO ME!!!!!

My boyfriend just found pictures the other day of Harold Baines and a few others in the 70s White Sox jersey style.

TNTtoys
02-11-2009, 10:05 PM
My boyfriend just found pictures the other day of Harold Baines and a few others in the 70s White Sox jersey style.

As "ugly" as they are, I have a home and a road tucked away in my collection and they are not going anywhere anytime soon. I also have a rainbow striped Astros home jersey.

(and I am a Mets collector)

Some jerseys are just classics and you have to respect an era that pushed the limits in every way shape & form. To me, the more they pushed the envelope, the more desirable they are to me.

BTW, I also have my fair share of Turn the Clock Ahead jerseys... surprising they didn't make the list of "ugliest uniforms of all time."

godwulf
02-11-2009, 10:36 PM
BTW, I also have my fair share of Turn the Clock Ahead jerseys... surprising they didn't make the list of "ugliest uniforms of all time."

I remember going to a Diamondbacks game, years ago, when they were wearing some pretty odd-looking TTCA jerseys. The players' names on the back were printed sideways, running from top to bottom, on one side...but, of course, the jerseys were tucked in, so the back of the starting pitcher, Todd Stottlemyre, just said "STOTTL".

summergame52
03-03-2009, 09:00 AM
I wish to second that notion. After a few years of not following baseball, I returned to the fold in 1976. I saw the Sox drop a doubleheader in Baltimore that year. With Bill Veeck and Paul Richards returning to the White Sox that year, I hoped they could recapture some of the magic they had in the 1950s. It was not to be (by a longshot), but Veeck remains one of the all-time great promoters and idea men to this day.
Who couldn't love Alan Bannister, Minnie Minoso, Chet the Jet, Bart Johnson, Buddy Bradford and the other has beens and never were's that comprised this team.

I would love to acquire a jersey from the 1976 to 1981 era. If anyone has any leads on one, I would appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks,
Tom

500goals
03-03-2009, 09:17 AM
I rank my Colorado Caribous NASL Jersey's at the top of the heap.

TNTtoys
03-03-2009, 10:17 AM
I remember going to a Diamondbacks game, years ago, when they were wearing some pretty odd-looking TTCA jerseys. The players' names on the back were printed sideways, running from top to bottom, on one side...but, of course, the jerseys were tucked in, so the back of the starting pitcher, Todd Stottlemyre, just said "STOTTL".
I have a blank retail authentic D-backs TATC jersey, but have not been able to find the specs for correct customization of it. I'd like to fix it up with the name & number of a player that did something interesting during that game.

I also can relate to the "STOTTL" -- I have a "HERSHISER" Mets TATC jersey (also a retail version), and the name seems to run very far down the back that I thought that there was no way it could have ever been displayed in full.

TNTtoys
03-03-2009, 10:20 AM
I wish to second that notion. After a few years of not following baseball, I returned to the fold in 1976. I saw the Sox drop a doubleheader in Baltimore that year. With Bill Veeck and Paul Richards returning to the White Sox that year, I hoped they could recapture some of the magic they had in the 1950s. It was not to be (by a longshot), but Veeck remains one of the all-time great promoters and idea men to this day.
Who couldn't love Alan Bannister, Minnie Minoso, Chet the Jet, Bart Johnson, Buddy Bradford and the other has beens and never were's that comprised this team.

I would love to acquire a jersey from the 1976 to 1981 era. If anyone has any leads on one, I would appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks,
Tom

Tom,

A 1979 home white Claudell Washington just sold last week in MEARS' auction, for just under $500 (including buyers premium). This was actually a pretty good price, as they are usually in the ballpark of $600-800.

I actually have my eyes open for 2 other collectors, so I am always on the lookout for this style, so you can feel free to join the "list."

Nick
TNT_Toys@yahoo.com

lon lewis
03-03-2009, 06:40 PM
If this came out right, this is my nomination for the ugliest uniform. It was worn for 1 game by the San Francisco Spiders hockey team ( IHL) in 1996 on what they called "Tye Dyed Night" These jerseys were auctioned off after the game.

camarokids
03-03-2009, 07:23 PM
I rank my Colorado Caribous NASL Jersey's at the top of the heap.

That looks like it should have been worn by the cheerleaders instead...

With those tassels, it kind of reminds of the shirt John Travolta's girlfriend wore towards the end of "Urban Cowboy".

Remember the one who played his rich hot girlfriend with the long black hair....Madolyn Smith Osborne is her name...Married to former NHL hockey player Mark Osborne.

godwulf
03-03-2009, 11:39 PM
If this came out right, this is my nomination for the ugliest uniform. It was worn for 1 game by the San Francisco Spiders hockey team ( IHL) in 1996 on what they called "Tye Dyed Night" These jerseys were auctioned off after the game.

I can't post a photo of it at the moment, but I have a tie-dyed green, red and yellow South Bend Silver Hawks jersey that makes your Spiders jersey look downright conservative. :rolleyes:

Yankwood
03-04-2009, 10:42 AM
How about this?http://www.americaniconautographs.com/OctImages/nateinscription.jpg

JasonBanz
03-04-2009, 10:55 AM
I'm surprised these weren't mentioned. I read a similar article and these were mentioned. I personally liked them, it was something different.

summergame52
03-07-2009, 07:38 AM
Tom,

A 1979 home white Claudell Washington just sold last week in MEARS' auction, for just under $500 (including buyers premium). This was actually a pretty good price, as they are usually in the ballpark of $600-800.

I actually have my eyes open for 2 other collectors, so I am always on the lookout for this style, so you can feel free to join the "list."

Nick
TNT_Toys@yahoo.com

Thanks Nick.
I appreciate the Mears auction info. That jersey looked like it is in very
nice condition. It gives me a good indication of an approximate price.
If you want to add me to the list, feel free.
Tom
tomndeb787@comcast.net

TNTtoys
03-14-2009, 08:40 PM
Definitely not a winner, but it's surely gotta be a runner up!

BULBUS
03-24-2009, 03:30 PM
In the spirit of March Madness:

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/pgStory?contentId=9348046&MSNHPHMA#sport=COLLEGE%20BASKETBALL&photo=9347566