PDA

View Full Version : Adam Dunn to the Nationals

chakes89
02-11-2009, 03:30 PM
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/nationalsjournal/2009/02/sources_nats_sign_adam_dunn.html

THEY JUST GOT A HUGE BARGAIN!

skyking26
02-11-2009, 03:35 PM
HUGE. Dunn could not have become a free agent at a worse time. I think he himself would have benefitted by signing 1 year vs. 2. WA wanted him all along, and I'm sure Dunn would have preferred to play for a contender rather than a club that probably resembles his Reds experience. Good for Washington, bad for Dunn as it will be unlikely he'll have post season experience with this club. For all the Nationals fas on this board, Vintage, etc, you just received a big bargain. Count on 40 HRS.

I am in the market for a Dunn Nationals gamer, both as a bat, jersey, etc etc. Put me down now.

RK

AWA85
02-11-2009, 03:59 PM
Really wanted to see Dunn on a contender.... this is a major bummer for me.

suicide_squeeze
02-11-2009, 04:37 PM
HUGE. Dunn could not have become a free agent at a worse time. I think he himself would have benefitted by signing 1 year vs. 2. WA wanted him all along, and I'm sure Dunn would have preferred to play for a contender rather than a club that probably resembles his Reds experience. Good for Washington, bad for Dunn as it will be unlikely he'll have post season experience with this club. For all the Nationals fas on this board, Vintage, etc, you just received a big bargain. Count on 40 HRS.

I am in the market for a Dunn Nationals gamer, both as a bat, jersey, etc etc. Put me down now.

RK

THIS JUST OUT.......Dunn has admitted to being one of the 103!!!!

Not really...........I'm sorry :o

dcrules01
02-11-2009, 04:44 PM
I am glad for Nationals fans on the board.AS a Mets fan I hope he strikes out against us a lot :D

skyking26
02-11-2009, 04:48 PM

That would be the day. Dunn is the real deal. Rawboned longball hitter like Kingman and Thome who did it the natural way.........

chakes89
02-11-2009, 04:50 PM

HILARIOUS!

:mad:

Vintagedeputy
02-11-2009, 05:07 PM
Well, I kind of figured it was going to happen eventually.

I was not a big fan of signing Dunn, although you can't argue with his HR numbers. He is a definte Kingman type player. I'll welcome him to the line up with open arms.

What sucks though is that we'll probably have to keep Kearns now, since they are best buds.

Mr.3000
02-11-2009, 05:25 PM
Very nice move by the Nationals. Now if the Mets would just sign Manny :mad:

skyking26
02-11-2009, 06:39 PM
I think the Dodgers screwed up not signing Dunn. JMO.

allstarsplus
02-11-2009, 08:16 PM
Very relieved. This is huge!!!! Hope to offer you guys some great Nats stuff in 2009!!!!

mariner_gamers
02-11-2009, 08:37 PM
I wanted a Junior/Dunn combo meal with a side of fries and large soda. I don't care how old Junior is or how Dunn would supposedly be affected by Safeco it would have been FUN DAMN IT!!! Congrats Nationals it is going to be a blast watching Dunn go DEEEEEEP!!!!!!

skyking26
02-11-2009, 09:00 PM
I wanted a Junior/Dunn combo meal with a side of fries and large soda. I don't care how old Junior is or how Dunn would supposedly be affected by Safeco it would have been FUN DAMN IT!!! Congrats Nationals it is going to be a blast watching Dunn go DEEEEEEP!!!!!!
I suspect there are many clubs like Seattle that had luke-warm interest in Dunn that will come to regret their lackadaisical approach and failure to make a movement toward a 40 HR 100 RBI guy.

skyking26
02-12-2009, 09:25 AM
Very relieved. This is huge!!!! Hope to offer you guys some great Nats stuff in 2009!!!!
And I hope Bob is a beneficiary of the Dunn Nats stuff!!! Remember me.

Nice story I sent Andrew this morning. Barry Larkin and Boone discuss Dunn's presence with WA, his on and off the field positive work ethic and how it will effect the Nats. They were very excited about the deal. What a plus for the Nats. We all know he was trying to hook on with a contender like LA or the Cubs. Puzzling how a guy with his talents can go unnoticed. Just ask Dave Kingman and Jim Thome though, they know all about this.

Anyway, Nats fans should be excited. Over here in Detroit, nothing to be excited about. Some mags have the Tigers in last place for 09. I'm not sure I can watch.:eek:

5kRunner
02-12-2009, 09:30 AM
I wish the Cubs would have signed him instead of Bradley.

Maybe its the low BA, but I feel Dunn is extremely under rated.

GarkoCollector
02-12-2009, 09:34 AM
I think the Dodgers screwed up not signing Dunn. JMO.

No thanks, we have enough guys with potential to Strike out 190 times a year

Vintagedeputy
02-12-2009, 09:37 AM
Andrew and I talked about this briefly yesterday, but I can envision a line up starting with:

1) Elijah Dukes
2) Lastings Milledge
3) Ryan Zimmerman
4) Adam Dunn

Dukes and Milledge (or Anderson Hernandez and/or Christain Guzman) will be table setters. Zim will get some good pitches to hit and Dunn will get all the rbi's.....maybe this ain't such a bad deal!

GarkoCollector
02-12-2009, 09:41 AM
Andrew and I talked about this briefly yesterday, but I can envision a line up starting with:

1) Elijah Dukes
2) Lastings Milledge
3) Ryan Zimmerman
4) Adam Dunn

Dukes and Milledge (or Anderson Hernandez and/or Christain Guzman) will be table setters. Zim will get some good pitches to hit and Dunn will get all the rbi's.....maybe this ain't such a bad deal!

Is Dukes gonna stay out of trouble long enough to be a contributor?

Vintagedeputy
02-12-2009, 09:42 AM
Is Dukes gonna stay out of trouble long enough to be a contributor?

I think so. Manny Acta is a very calming influence on alot of these young guys. I think he helped turn Milledge around from his wild hip-hop Mets days. Dukes has a ton of potential that Manny can tap in to.

allstarsplus
02-12-2009, 09:49 AM
This team may not win 82 games this year, but this signing is huge and he should help all the players around him in the lineup.

Washington is very excited!!!

allstarsplus
02-12-2009, 10:02 AM
Projected batting order

1. 2B Anderson Hernandez (http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=435038):
.333 BA, .407 OBP, .383 SLG, 0 HRs, 17 RBIs in 2008
2. SS Cristian Guzman (http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=150217):
.316 BA, .345 OBP, .440 SLG, 9 HR, 55 RBI in 2008
3. 3B Ryan Zimmerman (http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=475582):
.283 BA, .333 OBP, .442 SLG, 14 HR, 51 RBI in 2008
4. 1B Adam Dunn (http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=276055):
.236 BA, .386 OBP, .513 SLG, 40 HR, 100 RBI in 2008
5. RF Elijah Dukes (http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=452668):
.264 BA, .386 OBP, .478 SLG, 13 HR, 44 RBI in 2008
6. CF Lastings Milledge (http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=451186):
.268 BA, .330 OBP, .402 SLG, 14 HR, 61 RBI in 2008
7. LFJosh Willingham (http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=425545):
.254 BA, .364 OBP, .470 SLG, 15 HR, 51 RBI in 2008
8. C Jesus Flores (http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=435520):
.256 BA, .296 OBP, .402 SLG, 8 HR, 59 RBI in 2008

skyking26
02-12-2009, 11:34 AM
What time is the news conference? I hope ESPN carries it.

Jags Fan Dan
02-12-2009, 11:55 AM
While I agree that his consistent power numbers are amazaing, I am suprised he signed with a National League team, as he was born to DH. He is such a liability in the field it isn't funny.

I live in Cincinnati and have watched Dunn alot over the years. Here's what you get with Dunn:

Positives: 40 + homers, guaranteed
100 or so walks
Good amount of runs scored
His homers are things of beauty!

Negatives:
His skills in the field are poor, as are his efforts (at least they appeared to be here). It's not just the errors, it's the balls he just can't get to because he is slow or lacking effort or both.
Slow on the basepaths
Low batting average
More likely to K than hit homer with men on base

Obviously, he was not the missing piece to the puzzle in Cincinnati. I hope he brings good things to Washington. He really kind of ticked me off last year when the Reds started shopping him and all of a sudden he could go first to third on a single. Made me wonder where that effor had been all of these years. I know the Reds have been losers the last 8 years, but c'mon!

skyking26
02-12-2009, 12:53 PM
While I agree that his consistent power numbers are amazaing, I am suprised he signed with a National League team, as he was born to DH. He is such a liability in the field it isn't funny.

I live in Cincinnati and have watched Dunn alot over the years. Here's what you get with Dunn:

Positives: 40 + homers, guaranteed
100 or so walks
Good amount of runs scored
His homers are things of beauty!

Negatives:
His skills in the field are poor, as are his efforts (at least they appeared to be here). It's not just the errors, it's the balls he just can't get to because he is slow or lacking effort or both.
Slow on the basepaths
Low batting average
More likely to K than hit homer with men on base

Obviously, he was not the missing piece to the puzzle in Cincinnati. I hope he brings good things to Washington. He really kind of ticked me off last year when the Reds started shopping him and all of a sudden he could go first to third on a single. Made me wonder where that effor had been all of these years. I know the Reds have been losers the last 8 years, but c'mon!
I too believed Dunn to be a born AL guy. His opportunities as a player are more flexible as an AL player with the DH. It's almost like a pride thing with him and other guys like Sheffield. They make it clear they do not want to DH, like it is demoralizing. I think it just opens more doors for the player.

Shame on the AL clubs though. They are the ones that had the opportunity to sign him but did not. I think he will end up there one day like Thome with CHI and Kingman years ago with Oakland. Kingman, like Dunn, was not a great fielder but was lethal as a hitter. Alot of parallels there. Dave spent from '71 to 83 mostly as a NL player. I think had he been in the AL sooner he'd have hit 500 HRS instead of 442.

Sometimes a change in scenary helps. Dunn is going to a club that has been chasing him all winter. That should be a feel good feeling that translates to nice numbers. I do not know much about Washington's park - is it a nice hitter's park??

I'm frothing at the mouth for some GU Dunn stuff over the year.

allstarsplus
02-12-2009, 01:01 PM
Negatives:
1. His skills in the field are poor, as are his efforts (at least they appeared to be here). It's not just the errors, it's the balls he just can't get to because he is slow or lacking effort or both.
2. Slow on the basepaths
3. Low batting average
4. More likely to K than hit homer with men on base

I like your Positives and here is my take on the negatives:

1. His defense is a minus, but he hopefully will be moved to 1st base.
2. Slow on the basepaths---he is faster than Dmitri Young who was the Nats starting 1st baseman for all of 2007
3. He is just about a career .250 hitter---but always a lofty OBP and was at .417 with Arizona
4. Have you seen Ryan Howard's #'s. The man is a power hitter.

skyking26
02-12-2009, 02:37 PM
Amen brother.

allstarsplus
02-13-2009, 08:16 AM
Amen brother.

He did very well in the Q&A at yesterday's Press Conference. Now the remaining question, what position will Adam Dunn play?

skyking26
02-13-2009, 08:21 AM
He did very well in the Q&A at yesterday's Press Conference. Now the remaining question, what position will Adam Dunn play?

You should post some pics of Adam's HOTTTTTT wife. Smokin'.

I heard Harold Reynold's say he'd play left...

I still belive the Angels should have picked him up so he could DH as well.

allstarsplus
02-13-2009, 08:53 AM
You should post some pics of Adam's HOTTTTTT wife. Smokin'.

You ask, and I deliver! :eek:

skyking26
02-13-2009, 08:59 AM
I saw another shot where GM was giving Rachel flowers. She is a beautiful woman.

Remember the old ghostbusters song from the 80's? "Who ya gonna call, ghost-busters?"

Well, remember that song when Dunn stuff pops up, "Who ya gonna call, Bobbbbbb Koppelllllll.............................

allstarsplus
02-13-2009, 09:01 AM
I heard Harold Reynold's say he'd play left...

I watched that Hot Stove segment too, and I think Harold knows about as much as the rest of us which is nothing with regards to Adam Dunn's position in DC.

The team will try to trade Nick Johnson who has a $8 mill contract. If they can trade Nick then Adam Dunn will play 1st base. If they don't, then maybe he will play LF.

I will make a bold prediction, when the Nats play in AL stadiums, Adam Dunn will play DH!!!! lol

allstarsplus
02-13-2009, 09:06 AM
Remember the old ghostbusters song from the 80's? "Who ya gonna call, ghost-busters?"

Well, remember that song when Dunn stuff pops up, "Who ya gonna call, Bobbbbbb Koppelllllll.............................

That is a catchy tune. You are on my list. ;)

skyking26
02-13-2009, 09:14 AM
I watched that Hot Stove segment too, and I think Harold knows about as much as the rest of us which is nothing with regards to Adam Dunn's position in DC.

The team will try to trade Nick Johnson who has a $8 mill contract. If they can trade Nick then Adam Dunn will play 1st base. If they don't, then maybe he will play LF.

I will make a bold prediction, when the Nats play in AL stadiums, Adam Dunn will play DH!!!! lol
That is a sure thing. I still think that should be his destination after these 2 years...an AL team.

Sometimes I'm baffled. Go back to collusion-ville 1987. Kingman comes off a 35 HR, 94 RBI season and nobody offers the guy a contract? Different story here, but same theme, numbers like Adam has and he gets one taker.

I think Adam would be better at 1st because of his lack of speed than an OF position... JMHO.

allstarsplus
02-13-2009, 09:19 AM
I think Adam would be better at 1st because of his lack of speed than an OF position... JMHO.

It is the last year of Nick Johnson's contract so if he starts off in LF, I still think he ends up at 1B.

Vintagedeputy
02-13-2009, 09:36 AM
It is the last year of Nick Johnson's contract so if he starts off in LF, I still think he ends up at 1B.

The Nats need to pull a Ligtenburg with Nick Johnson. They can always use more bats and balls.

skyking26
02-13-2009, 09:47 AM
The Nats need to pull a Ligtenburg with Nick Johnson. They can always use more bats and balls.
I know you have not been a proponent of Dunn Vintage; but I think final numbers at end of year will show he is the star on this club. It won't be all about Zimmermann at the end of the year.

allstarsplus
02-13-2009, 10:04 AM
I know you have not been a proponent of Dunn Vintage; but I think final numbers at end of year will show he is the star on this club. It won't be all about Zimmermann at the end of the year.

Yes, the Nats fans wanted Teixeira so Dunn wasn't the 1st choice and the Nats weren't the 1st choice of Dunn. The good news is it should be mutually beneficial.

The signing serves many purposes. Symbolic to the league that the Nats can step up and write a 8 figure check and sign a big Free Agent.

Symbolic to the team that they are serious about winning. Many of the players were concerned about the team's commitment to winning.

Great for the fans that they didn't cheap out and do a 1 year deal. In fact the Nats were pushing longer term from what I was told but settled on the 2 year deal.

With anything in life, time will tell!

Vintagedeputy
02-13-2009, 11:54 AM

I'm ok with Dunn now. I'm actually looking forward to the HR bombs.

skyking26
02-13-2009, 02:18 PM
I read Dunn took a $3MM pay cut to play for the Nats. That should say something about the guy. No way would Manny take a cut. He'd sit out the season first.

allstarsplus
02-13-2009, 08:36 PM
I'm ok with Dunn now. I'm actually looking forward to the HR bombs.

Jim - The Nats #1 HR hitters in 2008 had 14 HRs each and that was Milledge and Zim. Even in the "post Steroid era" 14 HRs is a joke from the team leader.

With the addition of Willingham and Dunn and a healthy Milledge and Zim, I would expect Nationals Park to be transformed into a HR gallery!!! :D :D :D :D

Vintagedeputy
02-13-2009, 09:18 PM
Jim - The Nats #1 HR hitters in 2008 had 14 HRs each and that was Milledge and Zim. Even in the "post Steroid era" 14 HRs is a joke from the team leader.

With the addition of Willingham and Dunn and a healthy Milledge and Zim, I would expect Nationals Park to be transformed into a HR gallery!!! :D :D :D :D

I can't wait!

skyking26
02-13-2009, 09:26 PM
I can't wait!
Jim - glad to see you are coming around. Previous posts had you a Dunn hater. You were really down on him whenever we shared conversation. Bonified 40 HR guy who is working for $3 million less than he did last year says alot...

Vintagedeputy
02-13-2009, 10:23 PM
Jim - glad to see you are coming around. Previous posts had you a Dunn hater. You were really down on him whenever we shared conversation. Bonified 40 HR guy who is working for $3 million less than he did last year says alot...

I dont hate the guy, I simply wanted better. I wanted the .300 / 35 HR guy that we thought we'd get. In this market, we're happy to have Dunn but he was not my, or the Nat's first choice. I'll welcome him just the same.

skyking26
02-13-2009, 11:07 PM
I dont hate the guy, I simply wanted better. I wanted the .300 / 35 HR guy that we thought we'd get. In this market, we're happy to have Dunn but he was not my, or the Nat's first choice. I'll welcome him just the same.
I read it went both ways. The Nats were not Dunn's first choice either. He wanted to play for the Cubs or Dodgers and hung on as long as he could. The Dodgers are all about Manny, and the Cubs have defensive woes in their outfield now so were reluctant to add Dunn. Taking a $3MM pay cut says alot. No way would Manny take a cut like that.

All that said, both ended up together and perhaps will play some nice music together. I'm bummed for Dunn. There is not much of a difference going from the Reds to Nationals. Maybe 2 seasons of 40 HRS and he can go to an AL club and have the DH as a position choice as well.

allstarsplus
02-19-2009, 03:33 PM
This just in!!! Adam Dunn to take #44 and Lastings Milledge will switch to Ocho Cinco.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/

skyking26
02-19-2009, 04:50 PM
This just in!!! Adam Dunn to take #44 and Lastings Milledge will switch to Ocho Cinco.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/
Scroll down Andrew, there is a piece where Dunn and Kearns are interviewed about their late teen years together.