PDA

View Full Version : What's the deal with outrageous bat shipping prices?

sylbry
02-12-2009, 11:30 AM
I can ship a bat to most places for $8. Add in tracking and insurance and you are talking $10 to $12 max.

Lately it seems sellers are jacking up shipping prices. Seeing $15 is becoming common. And $16 to $35 is pretty easy to find. It simply does not cost that much to ship a bat.

It is getting absurd.

shoremen44
02-12-2009, 12:06 PM
For most of the bats I sell I dont charge shipping... you never know what the actual cost will be...

it seems like some people want to make an extra $10 on you on shipping... rediculous really when you are taking about something they may be making a hundred or two or more on already

godwulf
02-12-2009, 12:13 PM
Agreed. I always favor, and will much more readily do repeat business with, someone who charges $10 or less for shipping a single bat, than with someone who charges more. I've paid as much as twenty, if I really wanted a particular bat, but chances are I wouldn't deal with that Seller again - certainly not on a regular basis.

Some Sellers will go out and buy brand new mailing tubes, for $3-$5, to ship bats in, and of course expect to tack that onto the shipping price. Why they do that, if they're going to be shipping it USPS Priority anyway, when the Post Office will give you those sturdy, three-sided boxes to ship bats in, I don't really understand. When sealed properly, they're much more secure than a mailing tube, anyway.

I recently saw a listing for a bat with a shipping price of $75! The Seller had relisted the item at least once, and I finally emailed the guy and said, "If you're serious about selling this bat, you might want to adjust your shipping." He wrote back, apologizing, saying that he'd "misread" something or punched in the wrong numbers, and he'd list the bat again. Which he did. With a shipping price of $28.50. :rolleyes:

dcgreg25
02-12-2009, 12:48 PM
I agree that those 3-sided Priority Mail boxes are the perfect solution and seem like they were made for bats. People should not be charging more than $10 unless it includes insurance for a big ticket bat.

I think the high shipping prices are from people who are either padding the price or just dont know about the boxes. When I first started selling some bats, I tried one of those stores that packages and ships for you. They tried to charge me an arm and a leg to ship a bat because of the irregular shape. Those places will kill you with extra charges. But for an experienced seller, they should know better.

jetersbatboy
02-12-2009, 01:08 PM
Shipping cost all depends on the bat. If I ship a $300 from Hawaii to New York It cost me $14.95 and insurance is about $3, which most time I'll eat the cost of. Now if I ship a $1000 bat to New York, shipping is the same price but insurance is like $14 so ill split the difference and charge the $7. Shipping cost total is like $22. I guess it varies with the seller. Some times I ship in those triangular box but still send it in a plastic bat tube, which adds to the cost. I will pay more for shipping if the packing is worth the extra cost and the bat is a more expensive bat. I have paid $65 to have a bat shipped to Hawaii and had no problem with it. It did come second day Fed ex air, full insured, and well packed w/bat tube, so to me it was worth it.

BULBUS
02-12-2009, 01:18 PM
I live on the east coast, so if I ship a bat to the west coast, Priority Mail is in the 12-13 dollar range without insurance. If I ship locally, its around 7-8 bucks. So, it all depends on where you live and where you are shipping.

momen55
02-12-2009, 04:07 PM
people buy bats from auction houses and pay 10-20% buyer's premiums on top of shipping and it's ok.

an individual sells a bat and charges a few bucks more for shipping and that is a problem.

what is the problem with this picture?:confused:

godwulf
02-12-2009, 04:14 PM
people buy bats from auction houses and pay 10-20% buyer's premiums on top of shipping and it's ok.

an individual sells a bat and charges a few bucks more for shipping and that is a problem.

what is the problem with this picture?:confused:

Most auction houses have a lot of overhead and expenses that the typical Seller does not. More importantly, most auction houses are selling things that they, themselves, do not own; if there were no buyer's premium, how would the auction house have any income and stay in business?

TFig27
02-12-2009, 04:19 PM
I think most buyers take the shpping cost in consideration in the total cost of the bat and bid accordingly.

BULBUS
02-12-2009, 04:25 PM
Most auction houses have a lot of overhead and expenses that the typical Seller does not. More importantly, most auction houses are selling things that they, themselves, do not own; if there were no buyer's premium, how would the auction house have any income and stay in business?

Arent Ebay fees, Paypal fees, always increasing shipping charges, gas to drive to the post office, and packaging (because the free packaging wont work) overhead? It's hard to make a buck anymore.

Youre better off raising the price an offering free shipping these days. That way everyone is happy.

ndevlin
02-12-2009, 04:36 PM
Regarding the auction houses.-- I think most people get mad about $16+ shipping on bats that cost $5-$30. If I was buying a $500+ bat from an auction house, why not spend $20+ on shipping/insurance/tracking. I would want to! If Im spending that much money on an item, I better get it!

Plus, if people would set up a FREE account to USPS to get FREE boxes with FREE shipping. It would make things a lot easier for future buyers and sellers.

godwulf
02-12-2009, 04:43 PM
Arent Ebay fees, Paypal fees, always increasing shipping charges, gas to drive to the post office, and packaging (because the free packaging wont work) overhead?

Sure they are...but those things don't compare with having a physical building (or buildings) to light, heat, cool and pay taxes on, or employees and consultants to pay.

Anyway, the second part of my answer is really the more pertinent, I think. The auction houses rarely own what they're auctioning, and the money they need to stay in business has to come from somewhere. I suppose they could deduct a percentage of the winning bid price from the amount that they pass along to the owner of the item - which, if you think about it, is pretty much what eBay does - but the fact is, the buyer's premium concept has been around for so long, if an auction house decided that it was suddenly going to start charging the owner, rather than the buyer, it would very quickly run out of folks wanting to consign their items there.

grenda12
02-12-2009, 04:45 PM
Arent Ebay fees, Paypal fees, always increasing shipping charges, gas to drive to the post office, and packaging (because the free packaging wont work) overhead? It's hard to make a buck anymore.

Youre better off raising the price an offering free shipping these days. That way everyone is happy.

That is true but people dont take that into consideration.

sylbry
02-12-2009, 04:54 PM
I think most buyers take the shpping cost in consideration in the total cost of the bat and bid accordingly.

I used to do that. Now if I see a bat with $15+ shipping I won't bid.

TNTtoys
02-12-2009, 04:57 PM
I sold two bats this past month and lost money on the shipping of both of them by charging the nominal $10.00 that people come to know and expect. One cost me in the ballpark of $15, and the other was approx. $18. What seems to complicate matters is the following:

1. Any coast-to-coast shipping maximizes cost, as the rates are zoned. I live on the east coast...automatically a sale of a bat to a west coast buyer is more than any cost from someone shipping bats out of the center of the country.

2. The post office raised rates this month. Many are not aware.

3. The post office considers any package with 1 side over 36" a possible oversized package (bats generally fall into this criteria). Therefore, you may get hit with surcharges. At very minimum, you cannot print postage for these online...meaning higher rates for postage at the window and no longer do you get free delivery confirmation.

4. If the bat is worth a few hundred, you should insure it. At $7-8 insurance alone for a $500.00 item, people also often don't take this into consideration.

5. If you are going to buy a bat tube to ship in (and believe me, the post office has no problem selling these), that's another $4.00.

So... $10.00 to ship a bat might be a price of the past except for the following circumstances:

a. You are shipping to someone fairly close
b. You don't require any shipping materials
c. You're sending an inexpensive item that doesn't require insurance or delivery confirmation

godwulf
02-12-2009, 04:59 PM

That's your business, of course, but doesn't it make somewhat more sense to simply deduct the amount that you consider excessive (say, $5) from your maximum bid?

sylbry
02-12-2009, 05:01 PM

Since when do shipping charges include ebay or paypal fees. I am all for recovering your packaging cost (if there is an actual cost) and gas to drive to the post office but paying an extra $10 is absurd. Rarely do I ever see someone use anything other than the free box or a recycled bat tube.

Making a buck is meant to be done through the auction, not absorbant shipping charges.

sammy
02-12-2009, 05:15 PM
I believe most auction houses charge both the seller and the buyer anywhere from 10 to 25 percent, depending on the final value.

They get everybody coming and going.

"....if an auction house decided that it was suddenly going to start charging the owner, rather than the buyer,..."

godwulf
02-12-2009, 06:02 PM
I believe most auction houses charge both the seller and the buyer anywhere from 10 to 25 percent, depending on the final value.

They get everybody coming and going.

I was not aware of that.

Fnazxc0114
02-12-2009, 07:52 PM
i take my bats to ups store and have them box them up. usually dont get out of the store w/out spending 20 bucks. i usually charge 15.

TNTtoys
02-12-2009, 08:32 PM

Have a little dose of reality...

Here are the exact rates (Priority Mail + Delivery Confirmation) for a bat from my home to California. Assume that I eat all paypal costs, provide my own box and packing material, and the buyer doesn't opt for any insurance:

$15.35!

I suppose there are a lot of honest sellers out there who charge exact shipping costs who will not be seeing your bids.

trsent
02-13-2009, 01:06 AM
I sold two bats this past month and lost money on the shipping of both of them by charging the nominal $10.00 that people come to know and expect. One cost me in the ballpark of $15, and the other was approx. $18. What seems to complicate matters is the following:

1. Any coast-to-coast shipping maximizes cost, as the rates are zoned. I live on the east coast...automatically a sale of a bat to a west coast buyer is more than any cost from someone shipping bats out of the center of the country.

2. The post office raised rates this month. Many are not aware.

3. The post office considers any package with 1 side over 36" a possible oversized package (bats generally fall into this criteria). Therefore, you may get hit with surcharges. At very minimum, you cannot print postage for these online...meaning higher rates for postage at the window and no longer do you get free delivery confirmation.

4. If the bat is worth a few hundred, you should insure it. At $7-8 insurance alone for a $500.00 item, people also often don't take this into consideration.

5. If you are going to buy a bat tube to ship in (and believe me, the post office has no problem selling these), that's another $4.00.

So... $10.00 to ship a bat might be a price of the past except for the following circumstances:

a. You are shipping to someone fairly close
b. You don't require any shipping materials
c. You're sending an inexpensive item that doesn't require insurance or delivery confirmation

If you are selling on eBay - Use PayPal's shipping tool and when using Priority Mail, it asks you to enter the dimensions of the package. This will automatically calculate if any extra dimensional weight is needed.

Any eBay seller who uses US Mail is crazy if they do not use PayPal shipping through the USPS. It offers built in delivery confirmation (free for Priority Mail and Express Mail and like .18-cents for Media Mail, Parcel Post and First Class Mail) and it also emails the buyer a shipment notification with tracking number so you don't have to do this. Finally, in your My eBay it marks the item shipped so the customer sees the order shipped with the tracking number.

Also, eBay offers calculated shipping if you wish to use this service. I use a flat rate to anywhere, but I am in the Midwest so I may make some on a local shipment, but I often lose some on a West Coast shipment. It all evens out for me in the end.

If you use the calculated shipping tool, you enter the total weight (say 3 or 4 pounds for a bat in a USPS Priority Mail tube) and you can add a dollar or two for packaging/handling charges right through eBay. This way, a local buyer will find cheap shipping and a long distance buyer will have adjusted shipping. The buyer sees this calculated shipping fee when they are logged into eBay viewing your listing. It is a great tool for such situations.

I agree with the others, if you see high shipping, say $25.00 on an item you are willing to pay $60.00 for, I bid $35.00 and I have nothing to complain about. Sometimes when the listing ends I ask the seller about the high shipping and hope to get a discount, but when they don't at least I bought the item for no more than I wanted to spend.

I understand people do not approve of charging a shipping plus handling/packaging materials fees, but eBay does approve of a reasonable handling/packaging fee.

I saw an autographed boxing robe on eBay earlier today. The guy wants to charge $100.00 for FedEx insured shipping. Sounds excessive to me, but if I was to buy his item (which I am not) I would bid accordingly to ship silly shipping method and fees. I do not know why he wouldn't ship insured via a reasonable method, say UPS Ground or US Priority Mail, for say, $35.00 or $40.00 (the item had an asking price around $2000.00) but it was not my listing.

brianborsch
02-13-2009, 02:51 AM
I will say that I once charged just $10 shiping for a bat sold to someone somewhere in Nebraska, and it ended up costing me like $27! Priority with delivery confirmation. No Insurance! I had them check it again. It was because it was tough to get a package in that area? And the awkward size of the priority 3 sided tube/box. The manager approved it so it must have been legit. I lost out on that one. I typically charge 10-12$. $15 if it is really heavy.

BB

10thMan
02-13-2009, 09:39 AM
Opinions are one thing, REALITY is another...

I have NEVER shipped a Bat out (USPS) from San Diego or Los Angeles that has cost less than 12-13.00$ I had a Postal Clerk in LA that would dive over the counter to measure a package & GOUGE me with the extra 1.75$ Some Clerks wouldn`t add the extra fee. Thank God I got out of that hell hole, LOL.

15-17 Bucks would NOT stop me from Bidding on a Nice Bat. Ive seen people charging 20-30 Bucks for Shipping a (common) Jersey, what gives there???

Sean