PDA

View Full Version : Bo Jackson used Royals jersey's

nick1980
02-14-2009, 10:50 PM
What do you guys think of these "used" Bo Jackson jersey's on ebay the first one is a home jersey marked 1986 and the second one is a away jersey. The back of the away says BJACKSON instead of just JACKSON I have never seen Bo wear a jersey with his first initial.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=140300191471

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=140300193007

Please let me know what you think

cjmedina1
02-15-2009, 01:54 AM
HI

Check links below

http://www.lelands.com/bid.aspx?auctionid=505&lot=1141

This is a away jersey and the tagging looks to the same

http://www.lelands.com/bid.aspx?auctionid=412&lot=1283

The second jersey has the little Tag (44care on reverse) in a different spot.
I am not jersey expert. Maybe be some of the experts can chime in... I've been looking for a legit BO Jackson jerseys from the Royals or Angles...Hopefully someone can chime in.

Carlie Medina III
carliemedinaiii@sbcglobal.net

kingjammy24
02-15-2009, 02:11 AM
HI

Check links below

http://www.lelands.com/bid.aspx?auctionid=505&lot=1141

This is a away jersey and the tagging looks to the same

http://www.lelands.com/bid.aspx?auctionid=412&lot=1283

The second jersey has the little Tag (44care on reverse) in a different spot.
I am not jersey expert. Maybe be some of the experts can chime in... I've been looking for a legit BO Jackson jerseys from the Royals or Angles...Hopefully someone can chime in.

Carlie Medina III

both of those lelands shirts are '86 road jerseys and both have very different nobs. one has a vertical arch and the other doesn't. nice.

the with the vertical arch, from the "charlie sheen collection", sold for $3797 in dec 2004. the one without a vertical arch sold for $1726 only 6 months later. personally, i prefer the one with the vertical arch. anyway, i've never seen any photos of bo wearing a "b. jackson" jersey.

rudy.

cjmedina1
02-15-2009, 02:17 AM
Hi Rudy

Can you comment on the ebay Jersey's... Thanks in advance

Carlie Medina III

kingjammy24
02-15-2009, 12:13 PM
here are my thoughts:

- i believe that in '86, the royals were vertically arching their nobs. (the lelands "photo-matched" jersey is not vertically arched). how the letters looked in terms of the specific degree of the vertical arch and the thickness of the letters, i don't know. it's hard to go by "exemplars" out there because almost all of the 80s royals gamers i've seen out there have restored nobs. without knowing what it's supposed to look like, it's hard to tell if the restorations are accurate or not. i saw a pic of saberhagen, supposedly from '86, that seems to show thicker lettering as opposed to the thinner style seen on their rawlings jerseys in the later 80s and early 90s. the ebay home jersey may possibly have a correct nob. it looks similar to the arch and thickness seen on the lelands "charlie sheen" jersey.

the ebay road jersey

- the nob is really screwed up. if they wanted to put "b.jackson" that's fine but they only arched the "jackson" portion of it. the "b" is straight/flat. it's almost like they weren't going to arch it but after they laid the "b" down they said "oh what the heck, let's arch the rest of it". see how the "b" seems off-kilter from "jackson"? really messed up.

- after june 17 in 1987, the royals wore the howser memorial patch. the ebay jersey has no such patch.

rudy.

byergo
02-15-2009, 01:14 PM
The "B. Jackson" NOB is correct for 1987. The Royals also had pitcher Danny Jackson on the roster which necessitated the "B." Photo is attached.

kingjammy24
02-15-2009, 01:52 PM
The "B. Jackson" NOB is correct for 1987. The Royals also had pitcher Danny Jackson on the roster which necessitated the "B." Photo is attached.

excellent! there's still the issue of the "un-arched" "B" though. it seems that by 1987, rawlings was doing a very nice vertical arch. really nice stuff. not sloppy at all. what happened to the "B"?

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/5416/sillytf2.jpg

rudy.

byergo
02-15-2009, 02:06 PM
The seller is selling items sourced directly from George Brett, including some of Brett's personal awards, so I trust the provenance.

kingjammy24
02-15-2009, 02:31 PM
The seller is selling items sourced directly from George Brett, including some of Brett's personal awards, so I trust the provenance.

my favorite are the used/un-used cleats: "UP FOR AUCTION IS A PAIR OF SPOT -BILT CLEATS GIVEN TO GEORGE BY SPOT-BILT HE HAS NOT WORN THESE ON THE FIELD BUT HAS WORN THEM AROUND IN HIS HOUSE". 'ol george enjoyed wearing cleats while mowing the lawn, fixing a tuna casserole, and changing the oil in his car.

anyway byergo, not to go off-topic but this being a bo jackson thread, i remembered a comment you made awhile back about the litany of 1989 home, set 2 jackson jerseys in the marketplace here: http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=1556
you said "I've never seen or heard of a Scoreboard Bo game jersey for sale. The Bo jerseys look good to me, and I won't hesitate to buy one...No big conspiracy here! Point blank, I'm comfortable buying them. I'm still a buyer for this Bo material, and I'm glad others are not (keeping my price down)..."

as i recall, the specific jackson jerseys referenced in that thread came from nytrider8 / dan ceniceros. dan had several. well here it is from the very guy that was selling them:

"I Bought 10 Of These Jersey As Team Issued Pro Models From Scoreboard."

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=7853

i hope you didn't get stuck with too many of them. at the last national in anaheim, one dealer had a whole rack of them and asking $70 a pop.

rudy.

byergo
02-15-2009, 03:17 PM
Someone was able to show me documentation regarding those a long time ago and I appreciated the heads up. Forgot who it was, but they had proof on paper which was what I wanted.

BTW if somebody had a rack of those at $70 each I'd take the entire rack. They would make great autograph framed pieces for that dirt cheap price.

byergo
02-16-2009, 11:47 AM
BTW--I was the person who consigned the non Charlie Scheen 1986 baby blue jersey at Lelands. I regretted selling that jersey ever since, and especially since it didn't bring strong money compared to Charlie's.

Anyway, you really can't tell from their sub par pics but if you had the jersey in hand along with that pic you could tell it was a 100% photo match due to a loose string on the left sleeve.

So it's apparent that the Royals had all kinds of variations of their NOB during that era. And like you mentioned, many of them are restored now which further complicates the matter.

kingjammy24
02-16-2009, 12:58 PM
So it's apparent that the Royals had all kinds of variations of their NOB during that era. And like you mentioned, many of them are restored now which further complicates the matter.

maybe you acquired it already restored?

in this specific instance, we're not really talking about eras. we're talking about one year in particular - 1986. both the sheen shirt and the ebay home jersey show a vertical arch. both similar in arch and thickness. the shirt you consigned to lelands wasn't a vertical arch. again, it's entirely possible that the royals, in 1986, wore both. i honestly don't know. i'm simply wondering if it's possible if the shirt you consigned was restored.

sheen had some great stuff and i imagine he obtained many items directly from players and/or agents.

rudy.

byergo
02-16-2009, 01:09 PM
I believe it was not restored, so the Royals wore different styles of NOB even in the same year. Interesting topic. One thing I've learned in this hobby is not to form opinions based on absolutes, because there are a great deal of variables.

Lokee
02-16-2009, 03:24 PM
I believe it was not restored, so the Royals wore different styles of NOB even in the same year. Interesting topic. One thing I've learned in this hobby is not to form opinions based on absolutes, because there are a great deal of variables.

Amen

kingjammy24
02-16-2009, 05:55 PM
One thing I've learned in this hobby is not to form opinions based on absolutes, because there are a great deal of variables.

very much agreed. however you're then left with the fundamental question of discerning a legit variable from non-legit one. if you simply say 'hey there are no absolutes' then how do you ever differentiate crap from good?

for me personally, i need proof before declaring an oddity to be legit. i need photo/video evidence of the anomaly in-action. otherwise, it's just an unsubstantiated oddity.

despite there being 20 some-odd 1989, home, set 2 jackson jerseys, all with 1990-style tagging, you said you reserved judgment on them until you saw cold, hard proof. (for me, it just seemed like common sense that jackson didn't get 20+ shirts, all set 2, and all with 1990-style tags. especially when i've never seen a 1989 road shirt of his surface. he kept all his road shirts but his home shirts exploded onto the market? none of it made any sense and it only pointed to a single logical conclusion which was they were retail/promo shirts). at any rate, why not apply the same mindset you had with the scoreboard shirts to these jackson shirts and demand proof? you see a jackson jersey with a nob that's not vertically arched and you don't need any proof at all? have you seen a single pic of any royal in '86 wearing a nob as seen on your jackson? i ask this genuinely. i had never seen a "b. jackson" jersey and now thanks to your pic i have so i'm that much smarter for it. if you've got a pic showing any royal in '86 wearing a nob that's not vertically arched, then show it. if you don't, then what are you basing your belief that the royals wore 2 different fonts on? sheer hope?

i don't know much about 80s era royals gamers. i do know that in the late 80s, they were one of the few teams to sport a vertical arch. i do know that most of the late 80s royals gamers i've seen either had the nob entirely stripped off or restored as most were sent down to the minors. i do know that a lot of bad restorations were made because it's not that easy to do a good vertical arch.

so back to the original question; when you have an oddity..a "variable".. how do you determine whether it's a legit oddity or whether the variable is odd because it's just wrong? let's face it, there are tons of garbage jerseys out there and most of them are of superstars, like jackson was. so if there are no absolutes, how do you discern between crap and legit?

rudy.

byergo
02-28-2009, 04:36 PM
The Bo Jackson gamers came in the mail and they are amazing. The 1986 home is likely the jersey he wore to hit his first, and the longest HR in Royals Stadium history (475 feet), and the 1987 baby blue rookie road is wonderful. The pics were terrible and due to the camera angle and folds in the fabric made the "B." look like they were straight and not in the arch style (I was fooled by the pics as well), but they are actually just like the exemplar photo I posted. No signs of alteration are present on either except on the 1987 road there is a circle of stitch marks where the Dick Howser memorial patch was obviously removed. If anyone knows where I can get a "Howser 10" patch to restore that, I may consider doing that, or perhaps I'll just leave it as it is.

kingjammy24
02-28-2009, 04:44 PM
The 1986 home is likely the jersey he wore to hit his first, and the longest HR in Royals Stadium history (475 feet)

ok i'll bite. how were you able to deduce that from the jersey?

rudy.

suicide_squeeze
03-01-2009, 11:00 PM
ok i'll bite. how were you able to deduce that from the jersey?

rudy.

Gosh, byergo.........I'm just holding my breath for the answer........this is an AMAZING thread......

Oh, and did I mention I'd hazzard a guess that Rudy is correct in his comment that the "B." on the Royal away jersey NOB is not a vertically cut letter like the rest, therefore one heck of a boondoggle by the manufacturer of the jersey? It was the first thing I noticed when I saw the picture of the back of that fine jersey which you were greatly motivated to sell, I'm sure, and I got quite a chuckle out of it.

byergo
03-05-2009, 01:52 PM
suicide squeeze, these jerseys are not for sale. That assumption is incorrect as are your other assumptions. If you knew what I know about these jerseys you'd understand why I'm so thrilled to have landed them, and at a price far below my high bid. I usually don't care too much about LOA's, but I'm also thrilled with the George Brett provenance and his signature to the LOA. Have a great weekend!

sylbry
03-05-2009, 04:31 PM
I usually don't care too much about LOA's, but I'm also thrilled with the George Brett provenance and his signature to the LOA.

What George Brett provenance? The seller collected Brett stuff. The LOA is from L&M Collectibles. Does the LOA say the jerseys came from Brett or are you assuming that since the seller collected Brett stuff then his two Bo Jackson jerseys must be legit? Also, are you saying George Brett signed the L&M Collectibles LOA?

Just seeking clarification.

sylbry
03-05-2009, 07:37 PM
I received this from Byergo. I unfortunately sold him a lineup card last Thursday evening. It has been a week and he is complaining that he hasn't received it.

Anyways, here is his response when I asked him if he will answer my question posted above.

"Why should I trouble myself to answer any of your questions? You are not entitled to any information from me so don't expect any. If you want to educate yourself go out and invest the time like I did before I pulled the trigger and put my money where my mouth is.

Now back to the matter at hand. It's Thursday now and I have no item in hand, so it better get here quick if you want good feedback."

This coming from the guy who believed Scoreboard jerseys are game used.

Scott - go ahead and give me a negative. If one whole week is too long to wait for an item then be my guest.

kingjammy24
03-05-2009, 07:43 PM
here are 3 questions i have:

1) can we see the LOA?

2) can we see a pic of the back of the '87 shirt (laying flat)? the "B" didn't look vertically arched to me. scott says that it is so i'm always interested to learn how i made a mistake so i don't repeat the error in the future.

3) how did scott manage to deduce that the home shirt is the one bo wore when he hit his first HR?

why wouldn't scott want to share all of this?

rudy.

lund6771
03-06-2009, 01:09 AM
http://gottahaveit.com/ItemDetail.aspx?itemid=10901

kingjammy...how bout this one?