PDA

View Full Version : Question about returning an auction item

jhunt28
02-16-2009, 02:50 PM
I recently bid and won what I regard a high end item (over $2,500). It was done through the internet, so I had limited access to the helmet. After I received the helmet, I saw some glaring issues with the helmet that gave me doubts as to if it was legit. After scouring getty images and other photo matching sites, it's apparent to me that this is not the game worn helmet that it was listed as. My question is has this ever happened to any of you?? And do I have any right to return this for a refund? If not, what do you think the best course of action would be? I have a call into the owner of the auction house, but have yet to get a call back. Any feedback would be greatly apprecaited!!

Lokee
02-16-2009, 03:23 PM
I recently bid and won what I regard a high end item (over $2,500). It was done through the internet, so I had limited access to the helmet. After I received the helmet, I saw some glaring issues with the helmet that gave me doubts as to if it was legit. After scouring getty images and other photo matching sites, it's apparent to me that this is not the game worn helmet that it was listed as. My question is has this ever happened to any of you?? And do I have any right to return this for a refund? If not, what do you think the best course of action would be? I have a call into the owner of the auction house, but have yet to get a call back. Any feedback would be greatly apprecaited!!

It would depend on the auction house. As a buyer I would feel cheated and ripped off and would assume they would take it back but some auction houses have an "all sales final policy" as most times there are pictures so you can do re-search before bidding. NEVER take there word for it do re-search.

jhunt28
02-16-2009, 03:59 PM
Unfortunately there was only a one sided picture of the helmet...and it was an auction house that I respect (respected), so I felt that it was almost iron clad. Now I'm wondering if their lack of pictures were trying to hide something? Also the price I paid made me think this wasn't a fake. I'm not authenticator, but it took me all of 10 mins after having this helmet in my possession to see that this wasn't the real thing.

TriplexXxSports
02-17-2009, 07:18 AM
Unfortunately there was only a one sided picture of the helmet...and it was an auction house that I respect (respected), so I felt that it was almost iron clad. Now I'm wondering if their lack of pictures were trying to hide something? Also the price I paid made me think this wasn't a fake. I'm not authenticator, but it took me all of 10 mins after having this helmet in my possession to see that this wasn't the real thing.

Do you have any pics that you can post? We might be able to help you determine whether its legit by taking a good look at it. I know there are some people on here that have a vast knowledge in helmets.

On the flip side of the topic, I would think that if you were able to prove, without a reasonable doubt, that the helmet is NOT legit, the auction house would have to honor some type of refund/return. I would recommend getting the low-down on what you really have before raising a stink. Take a couple of pics and post them on here and see what the master minds have to say about it.

TriplexXxSports is always looking for Chicago Bears Game Used

jhunt28
02-17-2009, 11:12 AM
I will post a full description of my problems, because there are some brilliant helmet guys on this forum. I just wanted to give the president of the company the respect to go over my findings first.

helmets
02-17-2009, 06:18 PM
The #36 helmet that you purchased is one of the easiest helmets to replicate that there is. I have seen many of them offered by different auction houses over the years as well as on ebay.

You may want to take a look at the following thread - now that you have the helmet. From the one photo, it looks to be the same - however suddenly the year has changed...

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=17103

jhunt28
02-17-2009, 06:54 PM
Thanks man...I have a pretty lengthy letter as to the issues, but I had it removed. Hopefully the auction house will work with me, because there is no way from what I can tell, that this was his helmet...Unless I can be proven otherwise? But I have yet to see any evidence. I thought we paid the bid fees to insure that this stuff was legit? If anyone wants to chat more about this, I would welcome it on personal email.

jhunt28
02-17-2009, 06:56 PM
The #36 helmet that you purchased is one of the easiest helmets to replicate that there is. I have seen many of them offered by different auction houses over the years as well as on ebay.

You may want to take a look at the following thread - now that you have the helmet. From the one photo, it looks to be the same - however suddenly the year has changed...

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=17103

And you're spot on about the rear padding. As soon as I got the helmet out of the box, I had to turn the padding around the way it should be. That set off the alarms immediately, and I went on to find problem after problem after. Like I said, I'm just hoping that the house does the right thing on this one.

helmets
02-18-2009, 06:19 AM
And you're spot on about the rear padding. As soon as I got the helmet out of the box, I had to turn the padding around the way it should be.

You mean like this?

jhunt28
02-18-2009, 08:42 AM
Exactly like that. Except he changed chinstrap brands in 2004 to Riddell, and the helmet I bought (like the one previously discussed which you kindly pointed out) had the old Adams chinstrap. So while my helmet is the exact same helmet that tried to get sold as a 2005, there is no way it was a 2001-2002 helmet either. I'm a bit disappointed that this helmet was displayed in the light that it was. The auction only had one picture, and I had no idea that this was a recycled fake. Given the magnitude of the auction and the house involved, I gave the benefit of the doubt to the house in doing their homework. I had limited information to do the research on my end, given there was only one angled shot of the lid. I know the person who signed off on the LOA reads this forum, so I would hope that this problem gets resolved. I would think that the reputation of the House is at stake here. Again, thank you for pointing out that this helmet has made the rounds before, and has been dismissed as being legit.

b.heagy
03-02-2009, 08:04 AM
any updates on the helmet?

jhunt28
03-02-2009, 04:15 PM
I wrote a very detailed account of why this was never a Bettis helmet. Then they tried telling me that the year in the listing was wrong (04-05 instead of 01-02). So if that's the case, it makes the helmet even MORE wrong...so I am in talks with the Auction House who will hopefully refund my money. This lid has way too many problems with it. I hope to post a resolution, and give the gentleman at the Auction House full credit for doing the right thing. There are probably 9 issues with the helmet, depending on what year they want to tell me it's from. There is no way anyone could say it was worn by #36. Anyway, I hope to have a peaceful resolution to this shortly.

b.heagy
03-02-2009, 05:17 PM
Jhunt28, would you mind sending me an email?