PDA

View Full Version : MCGwire bat knob

shoremen44
02-16-2009, 05:29 PM
Hi guys I have a Mcgwire gamer with the knob pictured below... but I have been reading that the knob should contain an order number then a year?

is this true?... is my bat legit?

thanks

skyking26
02-16-2009, 06:35 PM
I've NEVER seen a knob like this one. Inquire to Mike Specht on this one.

Rboitano
02-16-2009, 06:44 PM
I have never seen anything like that, I do not think it is a legit bat in my opinion.

Rboitano
02-16-2009, 06:45 PM
Looks like a promo bat, knob isnt rounded off. No weight written on the knob, no batch code.

whatupyos
02-16-2009, 07:19 PM
You got this on ebay didn't you? I remember seeing it and thinking the same as the previous posters. No batch number, no last name and weight written on the nob. I've never seen anything like this before. The model number should be stamped more in the center and this is higher up...all of that was a red flag so I decided not to bid.

Aaron

metsbats
02-16-2009, 09:21 PM
I had a Darryl Strawberry game used bat which only had the model number stamped on it (113A). I was told that the missing lot and year code was due to the bat being made by Rawlings onsite in a truck during spring training. Supposedly Rawling made bats for players to try in spring training in trucks. The Strawberry had the same shape (unrounded) as this MAC bat.

shoremen44
02-16-2009, 09:38 PM
Thanks guys... all interesting information... still dont know what I have...LOL

skyking26
02-16-2009, 10:06 PM
I believe, like the others, that you have a non-legit bat. Hope you don't have much money wrapped up in this thing Bert.

metsbats
02-16-2009, 10:33 PM
Just to let you know I ended up returning the Strawberry bat..

xpress34
02-17-2009, 12:00 AM
Bert -

I use to work for Rawlings here at Coors Field when we had the 'Making the Game' booth here (2004 - 2007) and we use to make bats during the game... yes, we turned both maple and ash bats on the lathe while you watched...

The thing that gets my attention about your bat knob is the 'ring' around the edge - that shows signs of the bat being hand turned (not machined)... and the way the end is 'cut off' before being stamped - not something you should find on a store or souvenir model as they are usually turned by machine and sanded down smooth before being marked and stained / waxed / laquered. Next time you're at your sporting goods store, grab the knob of a Rawlings bat... you should notice three to four spots that the coating is kind of pointed and hard - that is where the 'claw' held the bat as it dipped it in the laquer barrels and hung them to dry.

If it is hand made, it may add some credence to the story about the Strawberry bat.

I can't say I was ever aware that Rawlings did that, but who knows.

Do you have any pics of the end of the Barrel as well???

No expert on McGwire gamers, just my observation and .02 worth.

- Chris

shoremen44
02-17-2009, 09:07 AM
I dont have much money tied up in it, but I was going to sell it and wanted to be an informed seller...

pic of the barrell end is below... what do you think?

skyking26
02-17-2009, 09:32 AM
I think the other guys here hit it dead on. Most likely a turned promo-type bat. Not worth much.

shoremen44
02-17-2009, 09:39 AM
thanks guys... guess thats one for the wood pile

xpress34
02-17-2009, 10:06 AM
From the unfinished end, it is definately a hand turned bat... the flat end on the barrell indicates it was cut of on the lathe and just sanded flat on the belt sander.

As far as a promo bat, the other guys who are stronger GU collector's would probably know better than me.

All the best -

Chris

skyking26
02-17-2009, 10:17 AM
All this discussion about Mac gamers...I'm in the market for a signed uncracked heavy use Mac Cards gamer...

I'm sure we are all the same. As much as I spent in 08, I'm still looking for that "fix," that new addition to my collection. Been years since I added a Mac item. Same with the GU Tigers bats. Member has a beautiful Freehan, but it is cracked. I don't like cracked bats.

cjmedina1
02-17-2009, 03:08 PM
Hi Bert

I was offered same style bat with the same bat markings,But I passed since I've never seen that type of marking before..Send me an email and I could send you the sellers email address and perhaps he can shed some light on how he obtain his bat...Who knows kicking some rocks around might uncover something good....Just trying to lend a hand.....

Carlie Medina III
carliemedinaiii@sbcglobal.net